Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,856 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:48 AM

Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? (35449 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Who Goes For Omugo 1st. / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
Hmmmm, wetin person no go see for front page undecided undecided
Who go go omugwo and who no go go embarassed embarassed embarassed cry

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UnknownT: 8:24pm On Sep 07, 2014
korel9:

Guy study the scenario well using African/Nigerian mentality before jumping into conclusions
Guy, there is no Nigerian Mentality in this case. Omugwo is a Nigerian/African thing and its the guy u quoted gave u d correct answer

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 07, 2014
Woman's mum, unless she no de, then Hubby's Mum.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Amadaz(m): 8:27pm On Sep 07, 2014
Unionised: You want to make a mountain out of a mole hill, abi?

Common sense requires that the woman's mother show up immediately to take charge.

In the event that she is unable to, for whatever reason, then the baton naturally falls to the man's mum.

It's not a competition...
the common sense you claim to have is absent in you entirely. The husbands mum is the first to come. Oluku
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Atmmachine(m): 8:32pm On Sep 07, 2014
emeraldoe: I av 2 kids now and my mum did d 'omugo'. D mother to d lady shud come first cos she'll b more comfortable with her mum than MIL. After avin my 1st, my mum was with me for 2wks and I was well taken care of; then my MIL came into d picture. Hmmm didn't find it funny @ all. I virtually cooked myself( cos I didn't like d way she was preparing d meals), had to clean my baby up wen she is tru cos I wasn't comfortable with d way she does her tins. Infact, she even told me herself dat we do tins d modern way n dat she doesn't understand our pattern. For my 2nd, she didn't even bother comin. But she is really nice and carin.

I'm Sorry to say this.
You're evil

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Unionised(m): 8:32pm On Sep 07, 2014
Amadaz: the common sense you claim to have is absent in you entirely. The husbands mum is the first to come. Oluku

why the insult sir?

Are you married?

4 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by babadey(m): 8:32pm On Sep 07, 2014
I will prefer her mum first. Even if her MIL is as nice as a dove, she will still be comfy around her mum more.

7 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by otokx(m): 8:36pm On Sep 07, 2014
Actually doing a study on this Omugwo practice, as usual with most things Nigerian, its being taking over board.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by excellentmomma(f): 8:37pm On Sep 07, 2014
The lady's mum naa if she is available, unless the MIL is not the judgemental type coming with critical eyes for the new mother. She needs all the care now and who will help her not who is coming to judge. Lolz!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by hikmojj(m): 8:40pm On Sep 07, 2014
when i marry born pikin, i ll tel u my view grin grin grin
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by hikmojj(m): 8:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
at first i thought d guy said omugo( a fool or an slowpoke)
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Medunah: 8:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
When i get married nd start giving birth, i'll definately want my mum to come instead of my MIL, i will be more comfortable with my mum than anyone else. Besides, sme MIL wont even help u do anytin oda than carry the baby, u will be d one doin all d work.

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Sunshinelady(f): 8:47pm On Sep 07, 2014

Common sense requires that the woman's mother show up immediately to take charge.

In the event that she is unable to, for whatever reason, then the baton naturally falls to the man's mum.

gbam!

3 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Sunshinelady(f): 8:48pm On Sep 07, 2014
korel9: To clear the air first, "Omugo" is a 'local' Nigerian tradition where the mother of either the husband or the wife comes over after child birth to take care of both the woman and the baby for a little period of time.

Now to the matter,
A man who happens to be the only child of his parents got married to the woman of his dreams (an only child too).
Both parents are eager to carry their first grand child.
The couple lives in a single room with little or no space to harbour only ONE guest.
The wife just put to bed and both mothers are eager to come for the "omugo".
The question is who comes first and why?
Is it the mother of the husband who will focus more on the child than the wife or the mother of the wife who will be interested in both?
Don't forget that the family of the husband claims ownership of the child in most cultures and the mother of the husband is so desperate to carry her first grandchild.
. Its omugwo not omugo

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Amadaz(m): 8:49pm On Sep 07, 2014
Unionised:

why the insult sir?

Are you married?
well... I'm sorry for that. On your question, i'm not married.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by vitalclues: 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
I think its more of culture dependent. For the Yoruba's the man's mum is the right person to be there according to their tradition while for the Igbo's the woman's mum.

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Unionised(m): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
Amadaz: well... I'm sorry for that. On your question, i'm not married.

When you are in it, you will know...

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Dieumerci(m): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
Pls it's not a competition. Traditionally, it's the wife's mother that goes for omugwo. In fact, whenever the husband's mother chooses to see her grandchild, she will only go there for a visit not for omugwo. Now, the first to go take care of the new baby will depend on who lives closer. In our own case, we live in the same state with my mum so automatically she would usually start to take care of the baby and my wife right from the hospital while my wife's mother gets herself ready to come over. My mum must get ready to leave immediately my wife's mum arrives for the omugwo.
Note: In a situation where the wife's mother is late, the eldest sister or another woman nominated by the wife's family would go for the omugwo. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 07, 2014
Wife's mother.. But for my side, na d wife's brother dey do omugo.... I didn't make front page cos of this "who wants to be a millionaire"
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by chrizfasa(m): 8:55pm On Sep 07, 2014
The fact is that, no room for lazy mothers.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by coolzeal(m): 8:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
Your wife's mother and if she can't make it then your husband's mother will come over for Omugo. My culture.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
cococandy: It's no biggie.
The woman's mom should come first. A woman newly delivered of a baby needs some intimate care which may or may not include having her private and abdominal area compressed with hot water or application of some healing ointments in the case of a tear during delivery or things like that.
I as a woman would be more comfortable being nayked with my mother than my MIL.
I would be more comfortable having my mom give me intimate care than my MIL.

In most areas it's the mother of the girl that goes first,the MIL goes if the girl's mom is unavailable or after the early stages are past when she's only required to help out with the new baby since the new mother can take care of herself then.

Most importantly,it depends on the relationship between the two women(girl and MIL)

All rise!!! This is the ruling of the wise one.
@OP,appeal at the supreme court won't upturn this answer.

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by 234GT(m): 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2014
In yoruba culture, it is the husbands mother! Yoruba girls don't get deceived by Igbo culture o.

2 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by emeraldoe(f): 9:03pm On Sep 07, 2014
Atmmachine:

I'm Sorry to say this.
You're evil
u are d evil one here.did u read anywhere in my post where I said she was insulted? Or u Jst want to be noticed. I knw u posted dis tru ur anal cavity

6 Likes

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by chlowi(f): 9:05pm On Sep 07, 2014

Right!!!
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 07, 2014
Titiluvly: the Wife's mum nau ...she will be more comfortable with her mum
Sotrue... Mama's care no get part two ooo. LOL
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 07, 2014
Is this supposed to be a question?

The lady's mum all the way. Except she isn't around.
Omugo focuses more on taking care of the lady that has just gone through pains of child birth and not the child itself.
The child no dey run na.

1 Like

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by remsonik(f): 9:06pm On Sep 07, 2014
Can u send your mother in law on errands?? Market runs,changing of diapers,preparing meals. Cleaning the house whereby u ve older kids and a mess would always be made. You are more comfortable around your mother as a woman. So I say wife's mother first. Every mother in law should know this except the one who is just troublesome

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 07, 2014
Titiluvly: the Wife's mum nau ...she will be more comfortable with her mum
Sotrue... Mama's care & Love no get PART TWO ooo. LOL
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by UniqueGem(m): 9:08pm On Sep 07, 2014
Dieumerci: Pls it's not a competition. Traditionally, it's the wife's mother that goes for omugwo. In fact, whenever the husband's mother chooses to see her grandchild, she will only go there for a visit not for omugwo. Now, the first to go take care of the new baby will depend on who lives closer. In our own case, we live in the same state with my mum so automatically she would usually start to take care of the baby and my wife right from the hospital while my wife's mother gets herself ready to come over. My mum must get ready to leave immediately my wife's mum arrives for the omugwo.
Note: In a situation where the wife's mother is late, the eldest sister or another woman nominated by the wife's family would go for the omugwo. Thank you.
You sound eager and ready to push ur mother aside.
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by Ifewilshere(m): 9:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
But wait o. If the two g.m's are late nko, won't d new couple find a way to do their 'omógo' ni? So, when I get married and have pikins, I'll just pretend they are both late and face d omugwo.

Dnt insult me please. Na my opinion. Lyk my friend rightly said, 'am not drunk'

*smiles
Re: Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? by iceberylin(m): 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2014
do you really have to Ask

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Weirdest Thing A Guest Has Done In Your House? / Types Of Husbands / 3-year-old Boy Shows Swag In Adorable Birthday Photo Shoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.