Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. (1836 Views)

I Feel Like Divorcing My Husband: UPDATE / Why Naija Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Partner. / Which Is Worse? A Cheating Or Nagging Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Caseless2: 2:18pm On Sep 08, 2014
smokescreen4: In your dreams.
ofcourse, in reality. It is just a 'pm' away. How about that pretty?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by mystiqueDZ(f): 2:39pm On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: If you've vowed that you'll stick together for better for worse , i dont know why ordinary cheating should call for divorce of one's partner.
Cheating is not ORDINARY!!

Arrant nonsense!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by cococandy(f): 3:09pm On Sep 08, 2014
Don't you know that God hates divorce when the man is messing up but allows divorce on grounds of adultery if the woman does so.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by cococandy(f): 3:11pm On Sep 08, 2014
Caseless2: If you've vowed that you'll stick together for better for worse , i dont know why ordinary cheating should call for divorce of one's partner.
for better for worse isn't in the case of cheating or abuse.
For better for worse means in life's harsh conditions,joys,pains,sickness,wealth,poverty etc.
For both partners.
Not for one person.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Adaeze003(f): 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2014
The same people calling cheating ordinary will still vibrate like chicken hot water is poured on when the said wife cheats... smh hypocrites.... I smell BS

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
cococandy: for better for worse isn't in the case of cheating or abuse.
For better for worse means in life's harsh conditions,joys,pains,sickness,wealth,poverty etc.
For both partners.
Not for one person.
lol!
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Godmystrength: 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
anything ordinary in cheating?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by zanga420: 7:04pm On Sep 08, 2014
kreamidiva:

Hmmm... my brother, none of those "for better for worse" phrases are easy o. And faithfulness to one's partner IMO should be one of the most important aspects of the "for better for worse" vow to be held very close to one's heart.
as I do defend women when they'r called 'loosed' same I say about men. It takes two to tango, if there's not a giver there wont be a taker.
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by bukatyne(f): 7:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
aisha2: Christainity condemns adultery in strong terms;“‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

dultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[e] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Divorce
31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’[f] 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery

However, it is human hypocrisy that is in play in cases like this where people choose verses that soothes their own purpose and ignore the ones that tells then the truth.

If you read the history of the Israelis you will find that men would put away their wives for no just reason after taking her youth and virginity hence God said do not leave the wife of your youth and he hates divorce because of its abuse at that time. It was the same abuse of the divorce process that made Jesus say only adultery can be a good reason for divorce to minimise the cases of divorce.
Then a man could write his wife a decree of divorce just because he felt like it with or without justification.

As for the church people they are just people that they are in church without understanding fully the words of God doesn't actually make them christains. Every human has their bias, a Christian in as much would avoid a situation where a couple would have to divorce would still go back to the bible and understand that sometimes divorce needs to happen for the safety and sanity of a couple and will not judge or condemn the parties involved.

Aisha you wicked o!

I sure the church would support stoning; afterall, it is clearly stated in their bibles cheesy

All these 'turn-the-other-cheek' kind of christians. They do not read the bibles up to 'do as you want others to do unto you'
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by TV01(m): 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2014
My reading of the scriptures;

Divorce is permitted - not mandatory - in Christianity were there is adultery.
Divorce does not pre-suppose re-marriage. It means you have chosen to not be married
Marrying a divorcee makes one an adulterer. Only upon death is the marriage covenant broken - and both parties free to re-marry.

TV

**Two Christians only, not any other mix. Don't have time to treat mixes at this point. And in truth there should be no need too**

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Adaeze003(f): 1:03am On Sep 09, 2014
^^Like the above poster, some people read their bibles upside down...
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by Nobody: 2:33am On Sep 09, 2014
Because the very same people condemning her will probably the first to enter the divorce court faster than the their cheating partners can say, "im sorry"

If someone shows you that they don't care about how you feel because of the actions they took, why stay loyal?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by sucess001(m): 2:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
bigass: A friend of mine is going through a bitter divorce. Her husband is a dog. She has caught her husband many times in hotels with different women. The last one was she caught her husband bleeping a girl in his office. Now she filed for a divorce many of her church members ate condemning her for seeking to divorce her husband. They opined that its unforgiving unchristian and ungodly to seek for divorce. They advised her to pray to God for a changed life.

I thought I read that the only ground for divorce is adultery. So why the fuss?

sooo you advise she divorces him an go and marry who? the pope tht doesnt cheat?
Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by dustydee: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2014
Does the vow also include "forsaking all others" ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by freecocoa(f): 4:35pm On Oct 02, 2014
A christian is allowed to divorce his/her partner on the grounds of infidelity.

I wonder what people actually learn in churches/bible.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Christians Condemn Divorcing A Cheating Partner. by safeLove(f): 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2014
dustydee:

Does the vow also include "forsaking all others" ?

They intentionally overlook that part. Lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

PIC: Mothers, Is It Bad To Breastfeed Your 48year Old Son In Public? / Would You Marry Your Bf/gf If He Or She Had The Same Character As Your Mum/dad? / Advise Me On Washing Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.