Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,854 members, 7,802,739 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo (19754 Views)

Debate: Messi V Raul - Who Is The Bigger Champions League Legend? / Messi V Ronaldo / Didier Drogba And Christiano Ronaldo Hot Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:35am On Sep 10, 2014
naturalwaves:
Thanks sweets. I love it when women follow football.

Thanks to Debroslink I love the analysis. Its so on point. And I think I admire Lily4star too coz I've known only few ladies who's interested in football and she being one.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:43am On Sep 10, 2014
naturalwaves:
Thanks sweets. I love it when women follow football.[/qufootball.

Thanks to Debroslink I love the analysis. Its so on point. And I think I admire Lily4star too coz I've known only few ladies who's interested in football and she being one.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Lily4star(f): 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:35am
naturalwaves:

Thanks to Debroslink I love the analysis. Its so on point. And I think I admire lily4star too coz I've known only few ladies who's interested in football and she being one.

Loooool, thanks guys. Una goodmorning and how's ya nights?
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Adewest44(m): 9:03am On Sep 10, 2014
4 me, wen it comes 2 goal scoring most especially in laliga nd champions league, C.Ronaldo is d best nd he has been proven it 4 d past 3 season.. So CR7 is d best

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 10:35am On Sep 10, 2014
Lily4star: mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:35am
naturalwaves:

Thanks to Debroslink I love the analysis. Its so on point. And I think I admire lily4star too coz I've known only few ladies who's interested in football and she being one.

Cool bro. Yours?
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mubarakopeyemi(m): 11:29am On Sep 10, 2014
Lily4star: mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:35am
naturalwaves:

My night was fine o, and I tink dts dsm with others.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mubarakopeyemi(m): 11:32am On Sep 10, 2014
Adewest44: 4 me, wen it comes 2 goal scoring most especially in laliga nd champions league, C.Ronaldo is d best nd he has been proven it 4 d past 3 season.. So CR7 is d best

Good, your view! Messi was down with injury last season. And Mind you last 3 seasons messi was the highest laliga goal scorer. It was just last season Ronaldo became highest goal scorer.
And it was only last season ronaldo became the word's best again. Messi has been the world's best last 5 seasons ago. And its glaring why Ronaldo had the chance last season (messi was down with injury)
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
naturalwaves:

Sexist remark.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:17pm On Sep 10, 2014
By tackling this topic (yet again), I expect both Messi and Ronaldo fans to disagree with me. But I will try my best to remain objective and to declare a winner for the attributes I have decided to compare them on both physical and technical attributes (shooting, acceleration, strength...) and "intangible" ones (mentality, marketability, ego...). The winner will be determined by points on each category they win:

Strength
Cristiano Ronaldo: Cristiano's 1.85 meters tall and weighs 85 Kg so you would expect him to be a bull physically. But he's not. It might be more mental than anything, but he shies away from contact and prefers to go down rather than physically outshine the opposing defenders. When he wants to though, he can be physical and hold the ball with his back towards goal. He certainly doesn't like it and prefers not to do it, though.

Lionel Messi:
Messi has very good strength for someone that barely crosses 1.70 meters as their height. The Argentinian can shield defenders off the ball and can hold it with his back towards goal. Anyone that has seen him can also notices he can resist opponents lunges and tackles towards his legs, and he can resist the hardest slides while remaining on his feet.

Winner: Messi
When all those things are taken into account, they're more or less the same physically for their rival's defenses. Messi overperfoms for his short build, and Ronaldo underperforms for his huge one.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Top Speed/Acceleration

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano is a sprinter. When in full speed, he's one of the fastest players in the world. His acceleration's not that bad either, but he's more fast than quick. If he's in fourth gear sprinting, you just won't catch him.

Messi
Messi's not as fast as you might think top speed wise, but his agility and acceleration in short spaces are the best in the world. Period. He's definitely more quick than fast and can blow opponents away on pure burst.

Winner: Tie
Both Lio and CR7 exploit defender speed wise. While the Argentinian abuses them on short speed, Ronaldo does the same on top speed.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
Technique

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano has magnificent tecnhique for a player over 1.85 meters. He loves flicks and tricks and can do basically anything on the book when the ball is on his fee

Messi
Messi just might be the top technician in the world...with everything except his right foot. Other than that, he can control the ball in every situation with every single part of his body.

Even with his "one-footedness," Lionel wins this battle because his technique is a little better than Cristiano's.

0-2

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
Passing

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano likes the ball to be in one man's feet: Cristiano's. He does have good skills and vision when passing the ball, but he just doesn't like to share it at all and wants to finish plays himself most of the time.

Lionel Messi:
Messi is definitely not at Toni Kroos' level when passing the ball, but he has established himself as a consistent passer and assister this past two seasons. He also actively participates in Barcelona's play creation... at least when he actually wants to pass the ball. Sometimes he gets greedy and just doesn't pass when his teammates are open to make a play.

As a passer, I'd take Messi, even if it's just because he's the least selfish of the two.

0-3

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2014
Crossing

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano Ronaldo benefited from his time in England to
perfect his crossing technique. Even though he's not a corner kick taker because of his heading skills (more on that later), he's a very good crosser and long passer. It's a shame he sometimes prefers to take a shot at an odd angle on goal rather than crossing the ball.

Lionel Messi:
The farther away the play is from Messi, the worse he becomes. When he was a winger, he never excelled at crossing the ball. And even if he likes to take the corner kicks at Barcelona, he's not proficient at long balls at all. That's probably why Barcelona take all those short corners.

Winner: Ronaldo
I'd take Ronaldo any day if my game was depending on a cross into the box.

1-3

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:53pm On Sep 10, 2014
Aerial Football/Heading

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano is very dangerous as a header and is also proficient at defending with his head. His 1.85 meter height helps him out, but he also has amazing positioning and very good jumping skills. When you face CR7, one of the main dangers he poses is his aerial game.

Lionel Messi:
Messi is fantastic in the air for his short height and has scored lots of goals heading it in. But he is no way a dangerous force in that area even if he's not as bad as his height would initally suggest.

It should be a very wide margin win for Ronaldo, but even though Messi is good for his height, the Portuguese star still takes this category by a lot.

2-3

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 1:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
Shooting

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo certainly enjoys launching "Ronaldo Rockets" on goal as much as he can every game. And that's partly because he has one of the world's most powerful and deadliest shots. With both legs, too. At least when he's on target. But truth is, even though he has a fantastic hard shot, most of them end up way off target. If he could improve his accuracy...imagine the possibilities.

Lionel Messi:
Messi prefers placing over power when he shoots. And
even though he normally doesn't take hard long shots on goal, he can do it as well, even if it's not his strong suit. His strength is accuracy, and at that, he's one of the world's best. It's rare to see Lio's shots end up way off target.

If I were an opposing goalkeeper, I'd be more afraid of a "Ronaldo Rocket" than anything Messi can provide, even if he has deadly accuracy. If Cristiano's on goal, his shots are simply unstoppable.

3-3
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
Free-Kick Taking/Set Piece

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano's one of the best free-kick takers today. His "folha seca rocket" and the show he performs before every shot are both widely feared. It's true that it's either off target or a goal. But when it's on target...Yeah... goal.

Lionel Messi:
This one baffles me. Messi certainly has the touch to take the short free kicks. But the fact he takes the long ones is just not cool. He doesn't have the strength to take them and they either end up on the keepers hands or go 50 feet above goal. Free kick taking's just not Lio's thing, as much as he might want it to be.

Cristiano wins it by a large margin again, even though for a short central free kick, I'd actually prefer Messi.

4-3
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
Finishing

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo has very good positioning and creates a lot of scoring opportunities, but his "all-power" approach doesn't serve him well when he's close to a goal. When he's one-on-one against the keeper or with a clear scoring chance, Cristiano's not as lethal as he should be. He's actually deadlier when his chances aren't that easy.

Lionel Messi:
Messi has become a lethal poacher in the area in Barcelona's drawn out No. 9 role. If I've seen him push in 40 goals with one-touch strikes inside the area the past two years, I wouldn't be exaggerating. He has lots of thank you's to give to Villa, Pedro, Iniesta and Xavi. But when the play needs clinical finishing, Lio is right there to punch it home every time.

When they're inside tha area and all the ball needs is some gentle, well-placed pushing, Messi is your man, and Cristiano is a long way behind him.

4-4
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
Dribbling

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano's a very good dribbler that relies more on making his man miss trough tricks, and he's definitely one of the best in the world in that regard. But he struggles when he's standing still and shies away from tackles.

Lionel Messi:
No one is better at short, spaced one-on-one dribbling than Lionel Messi. His acceleration, technique and agility all come into play here, and it's really the central characteristic that makes Messi who he is.

Cristiano's a good dribbler in his own right, but Lio goes past him on this one.

4-5
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2014
Passion For Football

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo is one of the most passionate players in the game today. You can just see he wants to score and win every single play he has. He's just as passionate off-the-field, and he works his face off to be the physical marvel he is today.

Lionel Messi:
Messi is passionate about football. Quietly passionate, at least. Inside his withdrawn self, it seems he enjoys the game very much, even if he's not outspoken about it.

Cristiano takes this one, by the mere fact that he makes it more evident for the common fan.

5-5
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
Mentality

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Cristiano wants to win. Badly. And that plays against him when he's under pressure. Ironically, he tries to do too much and ends up doing nothing.

Lionel Messi:
Messi's mentality isn't the best around. His incapacity to win when under pressure with Argentina and Barcelona shines through. The fact you sometimes ask - Where's Messi? - is proof enough.

Neither is particularly good under pressure, to be honest.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:47pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sportsmanship

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo is not a good sport. He dives, he argues, he screams, he kicks. It might be because he wants to win, but that's not good enough.

Lionel Messi:
Messi does dive, and he does argue with refs. But most of the time, he tries to play fair, and sometimes resists strong tackles most players would dive for.

Lio Messi sets a very good example of how to be a good sport, even though he sometimes might not be. Ronaldo is not.

5-6
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Mcleo007(m): 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2014
naturalwaves: They are both excellent but Ronaldo still edges out Messi slightly.

1)Messi has a better acceleration but Ronaldo has a better velocity........Balanced

2) Aerial ability: Ronaldo beats Messi hands down in this regard......Ronaldo wins

3) Shot power: Ronaldo has a better shot power than Messi. He has been known to score several screamers from distance..........Ronaldo wins

4) Accuracy in front of goal: Messi seems to be more accurate in front of goal.........Messi wins.

5) Ball control: They are both masters of this......Balanced.

6)Team play:Messi is better than Ronaldo in this regard...........Messi wins.

7) Foot dexterity: Messi is one legged, Ronaldo can fire canons from both feet.

cool No of goals: Messi has a higher number of goals than Ronaldo in La Liga based on the number of games he has played but Ronaldo has a better goal ratio.If he plays same game as Messi going at this rate, he will exceed Messi's goals.

I give it to Christiano Ronaldo.

No. 7... Check the stats, Messi has scored more goals with his weaker foot (right) than Ronaldo (left).

No. 2 is pointless. It's like comparing the fat kid with the slim one, and then go ahead to ask who has more weight. Ronaldo is taller by several inches.

No. 5.. You must be very biased to claim both share the spoils on that. Messi controls the better.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 2:55pm On Sep 10, 2014
Teamwork

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo loves Ronaldo. Then everyone else.

Lionel Messi:
Messi thrives in Barcelona mostly because they're all very much team-oriented.

Cristiano's way more of a ball-hugger than Messi, so the Argentinian takes this one mainly for playing in a ball passing environment called Barcelona.

5-7
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 3:02pm On Sep 10, 2014
Loyalty

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo has jumped ship for better opportunities. Twice. The only person he's loyal to is named Cristiano Ronaldo.

Lionel Messi:
Messi has had only one club.

Easiest one so far.

5-8
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 3:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
Defensive Contribution/Work Ethic

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo doesn't defend. Period.

Messi:
Messi is the Barcelona forward that runs the least. He still presses the opposing defenses more than any star I've ever seen (sometimes).

Messi runs a little bit. Ronaldo runs zero. So Messi takes this one.

5-9
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 3:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
Tactical/Positional Flexibility

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo can play as a winger in either side, as a centre forward and even as an offensive midfielder in the middle.

Lionel Messi:
Messi can play as a drawn out No. 9... and he played as a right winger...and that's it. And the Barcelona variations of those positions, at that.

Cristiano takes this one.

6-9
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 3:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
Game Winning/Lone Ranger Ability

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ronaldo plays so Ronaldo wins. And he's an expert when he's told he needs to win it himself. And also when he's not told he has to win it by himself.

Lionel Messi:
Messi can win it by himself, but he's more accustomed to winning games as a team. Also, look at him with Argentina. He's that good, in part, thanks to the great team Barça is and how he complements it.

I'd take Ronaldo every single day if I had a poor team and needed to win.

7-9
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Ichel: 3:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
Lily4star: Seriously as a Man U fan and one of Ronaldo's favourite I could be tempted to go with Ronaldo, but I don't wana be biased, both re living legends already, I ll give my verdict when both ve ended their careers. For now they re just both too good to take sides.

Imagine if Ronaldo had played for Brazil, he would ve been more successful than he is now with Portugal.

In all they re both great players that I can't just take sides.
Why should've CR7 played for brazil? Imagine if messi played for Spain, Germany or Brazil too.
Dont end a good writeup with a shit line. THANKS
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
Ego

Cristiano Ronaldo:
Ego is a three-letter word that Cristiano definitely knows (or at least owns). He's declared more than once he's the first, second and third-best players in the world.

Lionel Messi:
He might not seem so, but little Lio definitely has an ego. It's speculated that he had an ego fight with Zlatan. It's speculated he had one with Tévez in Argentina. He's told people he doesn't like to be criticized. So, news flash, Messi has an ego.

Both their egos get in the way.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 4:42pm On Sep 10, 2014
Mcleo007:

No. 7... Check the stats, Messi has scored more goals with his weaker foot (right) than Ronaldo (left).

Scoring goals is not the only function of a weaker foot. Sir, when it comes to the overall usage of both feet, Ronaldo outshines Messi.

Mcleo007: No. 2 is pointless. It's like comparing the fat kid with the slim one, and then go ahead to ask who has more weight. Ronaldo is taller by several inches.

Fatness does not necessarily imply weight. Away from that, it takes more than height to be good aerially. If you watch Ronaldo's nodders, you will see that he quickly rises before every one else and directs the ball while the defenders are just rising. If you check Abedi Pele's nodder against Nigeria( Senegal 92 third place match), he was shorter than all our defenders but he had a better jump power and vertical acceleration than the defenders and before they could say Jack, the ball was in the back of the net.

Mcleo007: No. 5.. You must be very biased to claim both share the spoils on that. Messi controls the better.

Are you kidding me? No bias about this one sir. They are equally good when it comes to ball control and can do do anything with the ball.Infact, when lobg balls are sent, Messi prefers to do the CHEST-LAPS-FOOT kind of control. Ronaldo could just stick out his leg and deadens the ball with just a single touch. They are equally good at this. The ball control of both players is balanced.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 4:52pm On Sep 10, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Sexist remark.
Don't blame me, I have ladies all around me and they don't do football. So, when I see one, I tend to admire.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 5:01pm On Sep 10, 2014
RayMcBlue: By tackling this topic (yet again), I expect both Messi and Ronaldo fans to disagree with me. But I will try my best to remain objective and to declare a winner for the attributes I have decided to compare them on both physical and technical attributes (shooting, acceleration, strength...) and "intangible" ones (mentality, marketability, ego...). The winner will be determined by points on each category they win:

Strength
Cristiano Ronaldo: Cristiano's 1.85 meters tall and weighs 85 Kg so you would expect him to be a bull physically. But he's not. It might be more mental than anything, but he shies away from contact and prefers to go down rather than physically outshine the opposing defenders. When he wants to though, he can be physical and hold the ball with his back towards goal. He certainly doesn't like it and prefers not to do it, though.

Lionel Messi:
Messi has very good strength for someone that barely crosses 1.70 meters as their height. The Argentinian can shield defenders off the ball and can hold it with his back
towards goal. Anyone that has seen him can also notices he can resist opponents lunges and tackles towards his legs, and he can resist the hardest slides while remaining on his feet.

When all those things are taken into account, they're more or less the same physically for their rival's defenses. Messi overperfoms for his short build, and Ronaldo underperforms for his huge one.
I disagree. If you use the principle of physics, Ronaldo falls more often because of his height and that's why sports vehicles are usually closer to the ground. Messi is closer to the ground and so can maneuver better. It is players like Peter Crouch, Nwakwo Kanu and co that will fall so easily. Messi stays more on his feet not because he decides to but his build favours that (that's what I am disagreeing with). If you play football, you will observe that short players are difficult to stop or hack down. Moreover, doesn't it sound funny to say Messi has more strength than Ronaldo? Let's say he does, how about AGRESSION and POWER? Ronaldo flies higher than Messi in these.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Wilfred Ndidi To Be Replaced By Alhassan Yusuf / Paul Pogba Admits He Made A "Stupid Mistake" After Conceding Penalty To Arsenal / It’s Foreign Coach Or I Quit – Pinnick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.