Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,903 members, 7,806,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry (52560 Views)

10 Reasons Why Travellers Are Turned Back Or Refused Entry At The Port Of Entry / My Experience With South African Immigration At Port Of Entry. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
Have you been granted a visa and you do not know what to expect at the port of entry?
Are you getting a bit anxious, nervous or curious about the possible questions that you might face on arrival?
Do you feel the need to know some of the likely questions that may be fired at you?
If so, take your time to go through these to help you prepare yourself for the real thing.
Know that questions may come in different form or pattern depending on many factors, but still, they are usually in line with these ones: so, it is handy to get familiar with them.

FOR TOURIST OR GENERAL VISIT:
What is your purpose of coming today?
How long are you staying for?
Where would you be staying at?
Who are you staying with?
What would you be doing in the country?
What would you be seeing?
By what means would you be transporting yourself from your accommodation to your places of interest?
Are you going to be shopping as well?
How do you intend to support yourself?
How much money have you got to sustain your purposes?
Do you have any credit card or the likes?
Is any one else assisting you financially?
What do you do in your country?
Do you have any contact in this country?
What would you be returning to your country for?
You're welcome to the country. (Stamp on Passport). Or, "unfortunately your visa will be cancelled and you would be returning with the next available flight to Lagos".

Remark: Up to 30% of travelers with tourist visas are stopped at the port of entry if questioned or interrogated

FOR SPOUSE:
What is your purpose of coming to the country today?
(Now the Spouse picture comes in):
What does your husband/wife do?

Remark: More than 95% of people with Spouse visas are allowed in: it takes a serious misrepresentation, or a gross abuse of rights by a spouse, or a security threat, or health risk for a spouse to be stopped.

FOR STUDENT:
(At this point, the Student issues come in):
What school is that?
Can i see the school's admission letter?
(In some occasions...):
Please, come with me, i'd need to make some verifications.
******Note: The verifications could take anything from 5 minutes to 3 days especially if you arrived on a Friday afternoon when clerical offices are closed, in this case, you may be kept in a "holding room" pending when their calls, or emails, or faxes are responded to. It is reasonable for a Student Visa holder to make his trip during week days.******
Who is financially supporting your education?
Do you intend to take up employment to assist yourself?
How many hours do you intend to work?

Remark: It is unheard of that a legitimate student traveler who got his visa in a genuine way is deported at the Port Of Entry, but if you are one who managed to out-smart the embassy, then you need to be concerned at the Port Of Entry because, you may be caught and banned.

FOR FAMILY VISIT:
(Then, the Family issue comes in):
Where do they live in?
Are they aware that you are coming today?
Are you bringing any native or traditional food stuff with you?
Do you have anything that you need to declare?
May i have their contact number?
(Calls may be made if deemed necessary):
What do you do in your country?
What would you be returning to your country for?

Remark: Unlike a Tourist or a General Visitor visa holder, Family Visitor visa holder is one travelling with the rights of the family member(s) who is inviting him, and therefore, he is given rights and may not be stopped without reasonably compelling cause

FOR BUSINESS TRAVEL:
May i see your business (invitation) letter?
(Websites may be checked):

Remark: Genuine Business travelers do not normally face many questions.
www.babefishing.com, the ideal Nigerian free dating site. Click now: www.babefishing.com

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2014
Now, anyone who has any experience with (unusual) questions that are not mentioned here may contribute

1 Like

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by tdayof(m): 12:15pm On Sep 08, 2014
#following.
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by kalamayat: 7:25am On Sep 09, 2014
Noted, please what about residential permit holders. Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Amosiye: 10:57am On Sep 09, 2014
Wonderful thread oh. Good englightenment, nice orientation, sweet exposition. " I trust my self STUDY with a loud voice ". Then I ask Eh ehn wetin happen?
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 12:39pm On Sep 09, 2014
kalamayat: Noted, please what about residential permit holders. Thanks!
A person who really holds a residence permit do not need to ask this question, so, I suspect that you are intending to impersonate a genuine residence permit holder.
Well, in many cases, you won't be asked much questions, but these basic questions may be asked:
Where do you live In?
Where are you coming from?
How long were you away?
The way you answer these basic questions and your body language would either grant you entrance or call for more investigative questions: and in the case of more investigative questions, you would be caught.

5 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by adigunomomama(m): 3:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
@Vicjustice

Conference to the USA is the same as Business Visit?
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by babyspice: 3:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
Great topic @vicjustice. It's good to take the mystique out of the process. I usually stick my return ticket in my passport so they see my return dates themselves when asked. Eye contact is also good too.

1 Like

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
After one has worried over visa, has stayed awake all night to strategise and put documents in order, prayed and fasted, bound and casted and eventually got a visa, he/she now has to worry about POE?

It just never ends. undecided

28 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
babyspice: Great topic @vic. ,, ustice. It's good to take the mystique out of the process. I usually stick my return ticket in my passport so they see my return dates themselves when asked. Eye contact is also good too.
Don't be deceived, immigration officers aren't necessarily asking these questiongs to find the answers, but rather to test you for inconsistency, they can see many of the answers in their computer system

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2014
adigunomomama: @Vicjustice

Conference to the USA is the same as Business Visit?
More or less so
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by IyawoToBe(f): 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hello Vicjustice, this question does not relate to POE. But i know you are vast in issues of this sort. I want to know if those who applied and was granted a us visa as a family, have to fill the proxy form to collect their passports? I mean does the wife need to fill the proxy form? Since we were given just one collection form. And do they send mail to every member of the family about when the passport is ready for pick up or only the primary applicant?
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by basica7000: 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2014
was justed asked last week at Houston poe how many days would I be staying and what am coming for
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by babyspice: 2:05am On Sep 10, 2014
Yup, exactly. I have had one try to trip me up by asking false info and i told her to her face , "that is not what i said" she just gave me back my passport and i walked away. Consistency is key.
Vicjustice:
Don't be deceived, immigration officers aren't necessarily asking these questiongs to find the answers, but rather to test you for inconsistency, they can see many of the answers in their computer system
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by adigunomomama(m): 12:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
Vicjustice: More or less so

Dont get this...
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 1:49pm On Sep 10, 2014
adigunomomama:

Dont get this...
Na almost the same thing them be

2 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by adigunomomama(m): 10:02am On Sep 11, 2014
Vicjustice:
Na almost the same thing them be

Ok

Got that

1 Like

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by tobitee(f): 10:29am On Mar 18, 2015
My family and I have just been given a 6 months tourist visa. Valid from 10th of March to 10th of September. We stated in our application that we will be staying for one week from April 1 to 8. Now we want to go on 26th and come back 13th that's about 2 weeks and 5 days. I hope we wouldn't be getting into any trouble at the POE.

3 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by eluquenson(m): 7:58am On Apr 27, 2015
Nice info here.
I will be back after I secure a visa.

4 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by tlk2Prince(m): 11:33am On Apr 27, 2015
Good one Vicjustwise!
Wonderful write-up.

1 Like

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by bisco5: 12:24pm On Apr 29, 2015
Nice write up, what if a student lands at POE on a Sunday does it mean he will be delayed till the next working day, please advise.
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by thegreengooner(m): 12:27pm On Apr 29, 2015
bisco5:
Nice write up, what if a student [/b]lands at POE on a Sunday does it mean he will be delayed till the next working day, please advise.

[b]Nope...why would you think this? What might raise questions would be if you arrived too far ahead of your course say a couple of months and can't account for your time before resumption. An assumption might be that you intend to work either illegally or in breach of the terms of your visa.

It isn't unusual for students to arrive on Sunday against resumption on Monday.
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by lovettett(f): 3:49am On Nov 16, 2015
People ve bn traveling since.pls let's upload our poe experiences here so dat people esp first timers wil be informed. I know from my experience at UK poe dat it is one or two questions dey ask. Important thing is to ve a valid visa n a confirmed place of abode.

2 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by jeffiejay(m): 1:38am On Nov 23, 2015
thegreengooner:

Nope...why would you think this? What might raise questions would be if you arrived too far ahead of your course say a couple of months and can't account for your time before resumption. An assumption might be that you intend to work either illegally or in breach of the terms of your visa.

It isn't unusual for students to arrive on Sunday against resumption on Monday.

Hello Greengooner. I was given a Visa to study in a school in Florida and school resumes January. However I would like to spend Christmas with friends in Cali before heading to school in Florida. Hope at the POE I cannot be denied for entering at Cali when my I20 says my school is in Florida.
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by jeffiejay(m): 1:43am On Nov 23, 2015
Vicjustice:
Have you been granted a visa and you do not know what to expect at the port of entry?
Are you getting a bit anxious, nervous or curious about the possible questions that you might face on arrival?
Do you feel the need to know some of the likely questions that may be fired at you?
If so, take your time to go through these to help you prepare yourself for the real thing.
Know that questions may come in different form or pattern depending on many factors, but still, they are usually in line with these ones: so, it is handy to get familiar with them.

FOR STUDENT:
(At this point, the Student issues come in):
What school is that?
Can i see the school's admission letter?
(In some occasions...):
Please, come with me, i'd need to make some verifications.
******Note: The verifications could take anything from 5 minutes to 3 days especially if you arrived on a Friday afternoon when clerical offices are closed, in this case, you may be kept in a "holding room" pending when their calls, or emails, or faxes are responded to. It is reasonable for a Student Visa holder to make his trip during week days.******
Who is financially supporting your education?
Do you intend to take up employment to assist yourself?
How many hours do you intend to work?

Remark: It is unheard of that a legitimate student traveler who got his visa in a genuine way is deported at the Port Of Entry, but if you are one who managed to out-smart the embassy, then you need to be concerned at the Port Of Entry because, you may be caught and banned.

I was given a Visa to study in a school in Florida and school resumes January. However I would like to spend Christmas with friends in Cali before heading to school in Florida. Hope at the POE I cannot be denied for entering at Cali when my I20 says my school is in Florida.
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by Vicjustice: 9:18pm On Nov 23, 2015
jeffiejay:

I was given a Visa to study in a school in Florida and school resumes January. However I would like to spend Christmas with friends in Cali before heading to school in Florida. Hope at the POE I cannot be denied for entering at Cali when my I20 says my school is in Florida.
You wouldn't have any problem if you can convince the immigration officer that the original purpose of the visa remains valid
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by jeffiejay(m): 1:42am On Nov 26, 2015
Thank you very much for your quick response. God Bless.
Vicjustice:

You wouldn't have any problem if you can convince the immigration officer that the original purpose of the visa remains valid
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by orimahspence: 11:15pm On Nov 27, 2015
What about a journalist travelling on I class visa ?
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by jerrywool: 11:32am On Nov 28, 2015
yyy
Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by TheCongo2: 4:17pm On Nov 28, 2015
jeffiejay:

Why not landing in Florida and then fly to CA later on. If I were you I wouldn't take a chance of landing in CA. A Nairaland member had previously wrote about his ordeal of visa cancellation at POE. The reason was that he indicated on his visa application that he was intending to go to one state but he landed in a different state. I will post you the link if I can find that post.

2 Likes

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by pyx: 4:37pm On Nov 28, 2015
Thank God for nairaland. I left Nigeria via BA stop over in Heathrow and finally to Baltimore.y questions
1. Your finger prints. Check for correspondence in the computer
2. Why are you coming to America? Vacation
3. Do you have a return ticket? Yes
4. How many weeks? 3 weeks
4. Where are going to stay? I flash my invitation
5. What is the relationship? My uncle
6. What do u do in Nigeria? I mentioned
7. Who paid for your trip? Myself
Welcome to America and enjoy your stay
Lobatan

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Likely Questions To Expect At The Port Of Entry by sammyhands: 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2015
when I arrived Sydney airport the lady took one look at my passport and asked:

lady: you are based in Lagos right?
me: that's correct
lady: what do you do for a living?
me:.event management and graphics
lady: did you attend funeral of anyone that died from Ebola or come in contact with anyone sick of Ebola?
me: No
Lady: Do enjoy your stay in Australia

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Keke Napep With A Fan Spotted In Ibadan. PHOTOS / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / What Australians Think About Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.