Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist (3855 Views)

Job Prospects For A Bsc Microbiologist In Nigeria / What Are The Job Opportunities For Microbiologist? / Why Can't Hnd Holders Be Employed As Academic Lecturers In Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 08, 2014
my story is quite annoying...i am nancy...16 years of age....i just got admitted into ABSU to study microbiology...tho what i had always wanted as a child is to be a medical doctor....but along the way i got scared of the high requirements to get admitted(like the high jamb score,this is my second time of writing jamb and i didn't want to sit back at home for another year and that medicine is a very competitive course)...i heard i could change my course after 100level...but my parents are not supportive...i don't know if i should just study the microbio or what....i am confused...and need advice from matured minds
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by whatsmyname(m): 2:24pm On Sep 08, 2014
Did you take your natural skills, talents and abilities into consideration before choosing this pathway? If not, you need to go back to the drawin board; thank God you are still young. The mistakes that many youngsters make in choosing their career paths in life is that they allow irrelevant factors such as peer pressure, ignorant parents, older ones who know next to nothing about the true meaning of life, hunger, vanity among others to dictate their career path as opposed to finding out God's gifts, talents and natural abilities in them and choosing their career paths.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 08, 2014
whatsmyname: Did you take your natural skills, talents and abilities into consideration before choosing this pathway? If not, you need to go back to the drawin board; thank God you are still young. The mistakes that many youngsters make in choosing their career paths in life is that they allow irrelevant factors such as peer pressure, ignorant parents, older ones who know next to nothing about the true meaning of life, hunger, vanity among others to dictate their career path as opposed to finding out God's gifts, talents and natural abilities in them and choosing their career paths.
going back to the drawing board...i guess you mean sitting for another exam and putting in for med and surgery?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 08, 2014
please my fellow NL members...you guys shouldn't just view the topic .....your advice and contributions are welcomed...please help a confused teenager
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by HouseOfBalloons(f): 8:12am On Sep 12, 2014
nahcee: please my fellow NL members...you guys shouldn't just view the topic .....your advice and contributions are welcomed...please help a confused teenager
you're still 16. You have time. If its medicine you want, accept the admission, get a good cgpa and change the course. Also get jamb form next year, and apply for medicine in another good school. Best case scenario: you get medicine thru jamb AND change of course. Worst case scenario: you don't get mbbs thru jamb or coc, complete your microbiology degree with at least 2:1 and get mbbs thru d.e, You're lucky u started early so u won't have age problems,
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: you're still 16. You have time. If its medicine you want, accept the admission, get a good cgpa and change the course. Also get jamb form next year, and apply for medicine in another good school. Best case scenario: you get medicine thru jamb AND change of course. Worst case scenario: you don't get mbbs thru jamb or coc, complete your microbiology degree with at least 2:1 and get mbbs thru d.e, You're lucky u started early so u won't have age problems,
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: you're still 16. You have time. If its medicine you want, accept the admission, get a good cgpa and change the course. Also get jamb form next year, and apply for medicine in another good school. Best case scenario: you get medicine thru jamb AND change of course. Worst case scenario: you don't get mbbs thru jamb or coc, complete your microbiology degree with at least 2:1 and get mbbs thru d.e, You're lucky u started early so u won't have age problems,
thanx much ma'am
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Olarewajub: 9:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Why do you want to become a physician?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by overhypedsteve(m): 6:50am On Oct 30, 2014
nahcee:
my story is quite annoying...i am nancy...16 years of age....i just got admitted into ABSU to study microbiology...tho what i had always wanted as a child is to be a medical doctor....but along the way i got scared of the high requirements to get admitted(like the high jamb score,this is my second time of writing jamb and i didn't want to sit back at home for another year and that medicine is a very competitive course)...i heard i could change my course after 100level...but my parents are not supportive...i don't know if i should just study the microbio or what....i am confused...and need advice from matured minds
happy buffdae to you! Happy buffdae to you! Happy buffdae to you dear Nancy! Happy buffdae to you. Hipppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp hurararrrrrrrrrrayyyyyyyy! Happy birthday Nancy!
You know how i felt when i became 17,i was like men this going to be fun. I ll get to start college that year. I ll probably even get a girl friend and a xbox( i wld prefer the xbox ) well i got only two of my wishes i got the xbox and a girlfriend but i ddnt get into college ( jamb! Oh ye wicked jamb) funny thing is that it was not until 3 years later that i finally got in. So babe you still have time to decide which way to go med or mcb, you re still so young that i could call you my daughter. So let me give you a simple advice like the daughter i don't have yet. Nancy! Shey you want to be ductor? You want to wear white coat and stab innocent patients with injections? Well my little " very young " daughter i ve chosen this auspicious day of your birth anniversary to announce to you that i also wished to be a doctor, i wanted to stab people things too ( and i succeeded on that part or how else where you born)but i failed in my dreams i ws also scared of jamb scores and i flopped. But do not flop my young daughter your career as a medical stabber em! Sorry doctor cannot be displaced for anything don't flop. Start the microbiology stuff and still keeping writing your jamb.

Ok. I know u re kind of surprised but i ve set out a day of my life to visit a single member of this forum on the birthday list and celebrate with them. Jeez! You re 17 and you re more active in the romance section what do you discuss? Ok spare me that happy birthday switheeeeeee
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 30, 2014
Olarewajub:
Why do you want to become a physician?
sir...i want to save lives,help educate people about their health....This has been my aspiration sir.....its not just abt d white coat....its a PASSION..
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
overhypedsteve:
happy buffdae to you! Happy buffdae to you! Happy buffdae to you dear Nancy! Happy buffdae to you. Hipppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp hurararrrrrrrrrrayyyyyyyy! Happy birthday Nancy!
You know how i felt when i became 17,i was like men this going to be fun. I ll get to start college that year. I ll probably even get a girl friend and a xbox( i wld prefer the xbox ) well i got only two of my wishes i got the xbox and a girlfriend but i ddnt get into college ( jamb! Oh ye wicked jamb) funny thing is that it was not until 3 years later that i finally got in. So babe you still have time to decide which way to go med or mcb, you re still so young that i could call you my daughter. So let me give you a simple advice like the daughter i don't have yet. Nancy! Shey you want to be ductor? You want to wear white coat and stab innocent patients with injections? Well my little " very young " daughter i ve chosen this auspicious day of your birth anniversary to announce to you that i also wished to be a doctor, i wanted to stab people things too ( and i succeeded on that part or how else where you born)but i failed in my dreams i ws also scared of jamb scores and i flopped. But do not flop my young daughter your career as a medical stabber em! Sorry doctor cannot be displaced for anything don't flop. Start the microbiology stuff and still keeping writing your jamb.

Ok. I know u re kind of surprised but i ve set out a day of my life to visit a single member of this forum on the birthday list and celebrate with them. Jeez! You re 17 and you re more active in the romance section what do you discuss? Ok spare me that happy birthday switheeeeeee
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2014
Gdevening sir@ Mr Overhypedsteve.....ur naughty daughter is loyal sir....How is ur day going? Thankyou 4 the birthday wishes....I am highly honoured and i must say i am grateful....Thankyou for the advice sir.....And abt being active in the romance section,i dn't discuss anything there(infact it has been long i posted a comment)...i just view topics sir
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Capitas7: 12:56am On Oct 31, 2014
Career is a life-long process, and it is to be built. Most people who end up regretting their choice of course (after being rejected by their choice departments, and adopted by a seemingly less prestigious department) are usually those who couldn't meet up with their target grade/class of degree, which would have been a good compensation for the earlier loss. I believe you can build your career in the medical field with a good foundation in this microbiology if you set a target and end up being close to or hitting the target. Good enough, you're young (and appear to have a big dream going by your post), so you have enough time to build the career up to and beyond your dreams/goals. I hope the following options would broaden your knowledge about how to achieve this.

1. You may choose to have a first degree in Microbiology (should be 4yrs under normal academic conditions), then apply for Direct Entry into 200L Medicine......through DE, your chances of getting admitted to study Medicine are very high in several universities.

2. You may obtain your first degree in Microbiology, and obtain your MSc or other higher degrees in Public Health Epidemiology, which is a highly sought after profession especially in a continent such as Africa.

3. You may commence your studies as a student of Microbiology, then apply for a change of course after your 100L.

4. You may obtain another UTME form, so as to seek another admission next session.

Majority of experienced people (graduates, undergraduates, lecturers) would tell sincerely tell you that your chances of successfully getting a change of course are very low (this is not about your capacity, but about the policies and need to cut down on the existing medicine students as the universities now use Quota system). Option 4 is not advisable as well, because from experience, students end up performing extremely woefully in their year 1, and more often they fail to het admitted through the new UTME application. This implies they have to continue with their studies on the poor academic background.

In summary, accept your admission first, and give it all your best.....a bird at hand,....

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Olarewajub: 8:13am On Oct 31, 2014
Capitas7:
Career is a life-long process, and it is to be built. Most people who end up regretting their choice of course (after being rejected by their choice departments, and adopted by a seemingly less prestigious department) are usually those who couldn't meet up with their target grade/class of degree, which would have been a good compensation for the earlier loss. I believe you can build your career in the medical field with a good foundation in this microbiology if you set a target and end up being close to or hitting the target. Good enough, you're young (and appear to have a big dream going by your post), so you have enough time to build the career up to and beyond your dreams/goals. I hope the following options would broaden your knowledge about how to achieve this.

1. You may choose to have a first degree in Microbiology (should be 4yrs under normal academic conditions), then apply for Direct Entry into 200L Medicine......through DE, your chances of getting admitted to study Medicine are very high in several universities.

2. You may obtain your first degree in Microbiology, and obtain your MSc or other higher degrees in Public Health Epidemiology, which is a highly sought after profession especially in a continent such as Africa.

3. You may commence your studies as a student of Microbiology, then apply for a change of course after your 100L.

4. You may obtain another UTME form, so as to seek another admission next session.

Majority of experienced people (graduates, undergraduates, lecturers) would tell sincerely tell you that your chances of successfully getting a change of course are very low (this is not about your capacity, but about the policies and need to cut down on the existing medicine students as the universities now use Quota system). Option 4 is not advisable as well, because from experience, students end up performing extremely woefully in their year 1, and more often they fail to het admitted through the new UTME application. This implies they have to continue with their studies on the poor academic background.

In summary, accept your admission first, and give it all your best.....a bird at hand,....
Happy Birthday @ Nahcee

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by overhypedsteve(m): 9:10am On Oct 31, 2014
nahcee:
Gdevening sir@ Mr Overhypedsteve.....ur naughty daughter is loyal sir....How is ur day going? Thankyou 4 the birthday wishes....I am highly honoured and i must say i am grateful....Thankyou for the advice sir.....And abt being active in the romance section,i dn't discuss anything there(infact it has been long i posted a comment)...i just view topics sir
you re funny, really funny. Thank you for calling me a sir though ( you re making me feel old already ) the email you sent a message to is obsolete and not in use. This is my real email scribe81@yahoo.com Any future reference should be made to that email. I ll update a DP later so u know am not as old as my comment may ve presented me. Thanks Nahcee. Whats the real name though?.

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Olarewajub: 9:18am On Oct 31, 2014
overhypedsteve:
you re funny, really funny. Thank you for calling me a sir though ( you re making me feel old already ) the email you sent a message to is obsolete and not in use. This is my real email scribe81@yahoo.com Any future reference should be made to that email. I ll update a DP later so u know am not as old as my comment may ve presented me. Thanks Nahcee. Whats the real name though?.
You sounded like a Sir.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by overhypedsteve(m): 9:23am On Oct 31, 2014
Olarewajub:
You sounded like a Sir.
olanrewaju Jacobs. Am i correct?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Mcslize: 11:27am On Oct 31, 2014
Hello Nancee,

From the outlook of your write up, I could sensed your true passion to study medicine & surgery.

Medicine & surgery is a well sort-after course with millions of aspirants putting in every year in every accredited university each having a set down quota. Meaning that you have to be exceptionaly merited to get it.

I wil be frank with you in my advice to you at this point. You are still young in age and have already gained admision to study Microbiology which will only take you 4yrs to round off. 4yrs later you will only be 20yrs old which is an added advantage still being young in terms of your age.

You have many options to choose from, as others had already stated in their posts above. But I will advise u to focus on what you have at hand now and dream of graduating with atleast 2.1 in Microbiology. Put in your full enthusiasm in the Microbiology beacuse there is a saying that says; a bird at hand is worth two in the bush.

You will have a better chance of getting the medicine through direct entry as you have already written two jambs without getting it. We have seen people writing jamb 5times just to get medicine but still didn't get it. The wise ones accepted what they were given and went for it, graduated with 2.1 and used Direct entry to get the same Medicine.

My advice to you is focus your mind on what you already have now the Microbiology and aim at graduating with a 2.1, put in for Direct entry in any federal university Unilag, UNN, OAU or Uniben. I will vow for Uniben cuz is one of the fairest schools I have ever seen in terms of admision.

A friend of mine put in for Medicine multiple times but was alwasy being given another course which he always rejected during his admision seeking days. He got wised up and wrote another jamb but was given Physiology he gratefully accepted it went for it and graduated with a 2.1 used it to put in for a Direct entry last year while he also wrote jamb along to boost his chance. Post utme was written but was given Medical Biochemistry. Remember he already had a Bsc in Physiology so he burnt the rest of his energy to study for the Direct Entry, wrote it and scored 83 and was given the medicine in the end. What a break through!

Another reason while you need to put in for a federal university is beacause they have larger in take of 100 students as against 50 students in state universities both utme and Direct entry combined. Your chance is better in a federal university.

But in all you could as well give it your last shot by putting in for this year jamb but choose a federal university and also accept your Microbiology and resume your 100level along side writing a new jamb. If it works out fine but if it does not fine you just have to continue your MicroBiology till you round it off and come back for direct entry which is to me is the better option.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 31, 2014
Gdafternoon Mr overhypedsteve......How is your day going? My real name is Nancy.....

Gdafternoon Mr olarewajub....thankyou for the birthday wishes...i am grateful...

1 Like

Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 31, 2014
Gdafternoon sirs @ mr capitas @ mr mcslize.....How is your day going?....I am honoured to have you both comment on my post....Thankyou for your advice....i would put in my best....i would try the change of course,cos my parents would not consent 2 me getting another jamb form...to them tz gona b a waste of money.....IN GOD I TRUST
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by overhypedsteve(m): 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
nahcee:
Gdafternoon Mr overhypedsteve......How is your day going? My real name is Nancy.....

Gdafternoon Mr olarewajub....thankyou for the birthday wishes...i am grateful...
i am indeed doing well. How are you? And how ws ur day.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
overhypedsteve:
i am indeed doing well. How are you? And how ws ur day.
i am fine......my day was ok..
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by overhypedsteve(m): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2014
nahcee:
i am fine......my day was ok..
ok, that's good, just continue having a nice day.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 31, 2014
overhypedsteve:
ok, that's good, just continue having a nice day.
thankyou sir....takecare.
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Olarewajub: 7:39pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nah!
overhypedsteve:
olanrewaju Jacobs. Am i correct?
What profession are you now?
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by Capitas7: 10:59am On Nov 01, 2014
Olarewajub:
Happy Birthday @ Nahcee

thanks for thinning out the options
nahcee:
Gdafternoon sirs @ mr capitas @ mr mcslize.....How is your day going?....I am honoured to have you both comment on my post....Thankyou for your advice....i would put in my best....i would try the change of course,cos my parents would not consent 2 me getting another jamb form...to them tz gona b a waste of money.....IN GOD I TRUST

Good day ma. it's good you've made a choice. swishing you all the best in your career
Re: What Are My Chances Of Getting Employed As A Microbiologist by StClaire69: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2020
Good Day

A night shift Medical Doctor with alternate weekend urgently needed

Last Entry Date: 3oth November 2020

Minimum Experience; 2 years

DESCRIPTION
Contributing clinical expertise to patient care and providing guidance to junior physicians.
Performing administrative duties and risk management.
Ensuring the highest standards in patient care are maintained.
Verifying complex diagnoses and facilitating treatment plans.
Hiring, supervising, and mentoring healthcare professionals and collaborating with consultants.
Managing allocated budgets and identifying areas of improvement in patient care.
Keeping informed on advancements in the field and contributing to medical research programs.
Ensuring compliance with healthcare regulations and safety standards.
Reporting to senior management, as well as liaising between administrative and medical staff.

Application Email: stclaireclinicjobs@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Increase My Effectiveness At Work? / Strongest Motivator For Employees In Nigeria? / Join The British Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.