Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed (1360 Views)

Men’s Football Shortlists For FIFA Ballon D’or 2015 Revealed / (photo) Messi, Neuer And Suares Get Fifa Awards / CAF Unveils Shortlists For Player Of The Year Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by goodguy(m): 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2008
Who will be honoured with the title of FIFA World Player and FIFA Women's World Player for 2008? FIFA has today announced the names of the nominees (see below) and the final decision will be made by the captains and head coaches of the men's and women's national teams.

At the beginning of December, FIFA will announce the names of the three men and women who have received the most votes and the winners will be revealed at the 18th FIFA World Player Gala at the Zurich Opera House on 12 January 2009.

The lists of 23 male and 10 female candidates for these prestigious awards have been drawn up by football experts from the Football Committee and the Committee for Women's Football and the FIFA Women's World Cup.

The following 23 men (in alphabetical order) are in contention for the title of FIFA World Player 2008:

Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo), Sergio Agüero (Argentina), Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Deco (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Côte d'Ivoire), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Steven Gerrard (England), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Kaká (Brazil), Frank Lampard (England), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Franck Ribéry (France), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), John Terry (England), Fernando Torres (Spain), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Netherlands), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain).

The following 10 women (in alphabetical order) are in contention for the title of FIFA Women's World Player 2008:

Nadine Angerer (Germany), Shannon Boxx (USA), Cristiane (Brazil), Daniela (Brazil), Marta (Brazil), Birgit Prinz (Germany), Christine Sinclair (Canada), Kelly Smith (England), Hope Solo (USA) and Ingvild Stensland (Norway).

Source.

P.S.  Those names in bold will be the first three, with CR7 coming first. wink
Those in italics are very strong contenders as well. cool
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by mukina2: 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
I know they wont give it to Cesc, Adebayor is out of the question . .any other player can win it. as long as its not Cristiano Divino tongue
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by ndumart: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2008
mukina2:

I know they wont give it to Cesc, Adebayor is out of the question . .any other player can win it. as long as its not Cristiano Divino tongue
Even the Devil knows there is God
Even Muki knows CR7 is the worthy winner.

Stop hating. Just wish any of ur boys will get a mention next year.
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by tubabie(f): 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2008
@ mukina

mukina2:

before nko? u are not given awards u earn them. As CR7 told all of y'all , he deserves the award and will get it.
so all haters eat ur hearts out! tongue
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by mukina2: 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2008
ohh you were waiting for me to post grin grin

i still say anyone can win except Divino tongue
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by tubabie(f): 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2008
@mukina

naa dont fool yourself grin grin grin
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by Sauron1: 7:27pm On Oct 29, 2008
This award is a joke!!!!
5 Chelsea players, 2 Arsenal Players, 2 Liverpool players, 1 United player. Terry in there, NO Ferdinand + Vidic, Arshavin but no Rooney, Ballack & Lampard but no Carrick. How can the European and English Champions only have one representative?
The most annoying thing on the stupid list. . . . . .John Terry is the only defender on the 23-man list. . .How pathetic??
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 29, 2008
Much as i want Messi to win it, CR7 has a greater chance due to Man-U's performance in the year.
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by Sauron1: 8:53pm On Oct 29, 2008
ife-eco-06:

Much as i want Messi to win it, CR7 has a greater chance due to Man-U's performance in the year.

I am even surprised Messi made the list at all. . . .
What was his contribution all season? No trophies and won gold medal in an age-grade competition. . . .
FIFA committee is rubbish.
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by dayokanu(m): 6:42pm On Oct 30, 2008
What did Weah win in 1995 to win the awards? What did Ronaldo Lima win in 1996 to win the awards? Dinho in 2004?
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by whatnext: 9:14pm On Dec 07, 2008
Tell 'em Dayo  grin
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 08, 2008
Dayo

Y'all know CR7 is the best suited to win the award

So why the beef?. . . . .Is it our fault that Toni and Ribery are not front-runners

Ronaldo deserves it and he will surely win it.

And by a large margin too.
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by yaris(m): 7:52pm On Dec 12, 2008
top three
Ronaldo
Messi
Torres

my man of course will be the winner come Jan 12 2009. Cr7 you rock
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by OLAMIND1(m): 8:42pm On Dec 12, 2008
my Fabregas will be no 2!

I know they wont give him no 1 for reasons best known to me, !
Re: Shortlists For 2008 FIFA Awards Revealed by Sauron1: 8:52pm On Dec 12, 2008
dayokanu:

What did Weah win in 1995 to win the awards? What did Ronaldo Lima win in 1996 to win the awards? Dinho in 2004?

Dayo, who is going to win this AWARD??

I believe or Casillas should win it. Afterall, Michel Platini told you in y'all homosexual sessions that Ronaldo must prove himself to win any award.
Bloody pederast!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Does Stanley Okoro Deserve A Promotion To The Super Eagles Even To Angola 2010? / Who Will Be The Highest Goal Scorer In The Euro 2012 Competition? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Premier League)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.