Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,153 members, 7,807,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? (8274 Views)

When There's No Job And You Are Ready To Accept Any Salary / Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer / Would You Accept An Offer Of Employment From Wema Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Marvin67: 5:21pm On Sep 08, 2014
Guys and ladies, if you're a bsc holder (2.1 to be precise) and you get a teaching job, with 20k as salary, would you accept it? Note that transport to and from the place is #100 daily (#50 to nd #50 from)
Awaiting the response of my wise naira landers.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
20K for a bsc holderThat an insult to the degree

2 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Preda: 6:01pm On Sep 08, 2014
Marvin67: Guys and ladies, if you're a bsc holder (2.1 to be precise) and you get a teaching job, with 20k as salary, would you accept it? Note that transport to and from the place is #100 daily (#50 to nd #50 from)
Bro, for how long have u stayed @ home doing nothing? D teaching job will keep u busy, and @ least u'll be earning something even tho its meagre. Imagine if want 2 do a #1000 subsribtn, or get some stuffs worth probly just #2000 or so, and u'll still have 2 depend on someone. I'll advice u to take it up 4 d time being, until a biga offer comes ur way. #At all, at all na hin bad.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by harrysterol(m): 6:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
Hahahahaha
edozie04: 20K for a bsc holderThat an insult to the degree
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by harrysterol(m): 6:07pm On Sep 08, 2014
is better to sit at home dn collect 20k wit my precious bsc dis principals hv been jokin wit graduates frm time immemorial, how many years wil u work b4 u build a huse?buy a car? Marry a wife? Feed ur kids n cloth ursef? Is beta to do a les streful work 4 20k dn teaching wey u go teach frm mrnin till 4pm cme bck huse come dy tired like 1 escaped person wey run frm prison, bro in my opinion 20k small, dt y even wen I did my service I made it clear in my ppa oga if u cnt pay me well I cnt serve u! Shikina

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by georgee(m): 6:07pm On Sep 08, 2014
Preda: Bro, for how long have u stayed @ home doing nothing. D teaching job will keep u busy, and @ least u'll be earning something even tho its meagre. Imagine if want 2 do a #1000 subsribtn, or get some stuffs worth probly just #2000 or so, and u'll still have 2 depend on someone. I'll advice u to take it up 4 d time being, until a biga offer comes ur way. #At all, at all na hin bad.
Sharap dia..Suffer head guy..So mk e go tk 20K/month dey tk do wetin angry angry angry angry angry
Guy, bone that 20K..Keep looking for Job

5 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by TVTKOKO(m): 6:15pm On Sep 08, 2014
georgee:
Sharap dia..Suffer head guy..So mk e go tk 20K/month dey tk do wetin angry angry angry angry angry
pls tell me wat he stands to gain staying @ home

9 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Preda: 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2014
georgee:
wow! U're very 'intelligent'.So its better 2 stay @ home earning nothing(ZERO) staying idle than earning #20000 which he could even somtimes use 4 running interviews 4 bigger firms and all. #Ur I.Q is low, bro! #Dont despise days of little beginnings n start from somwhere!

24 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Worksunlimited: 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2014
Marvin67: Guys and ladies, if you're a bsc holder (2.1 to be precise) and you get a teaching job, with 20k as salary, would you accept it? Note that transport to and from the place is #100 daily (#50 to nd #50 from)

Bruv! i have worked for less before (Had a part-time job of delivering letters and i was paid #50 per letter, and Given #1000 for transport: in which i was not meant to spend above a limit for all the letters which could number up to 30 in different areas, cum end of the month my take-home pay never exceeded #5000, and i am a B.Sc Hons holder)..

Anyways, suggest you german the thing and take the job for the time being... Make you dey get some change from time to time as the place no far from your house..

Preda: Bro, for how long have u stayed @ home doing nothing. D teaching job will keep u busy, and @ least u'll be earning something even tho its meagre. Imagine if want 2 do a #1000 subsribtn, or get some stuffs worth probly just #2000 or so, and u'll still have 2 depend on someone. I'll advice u to take it up 4 d time being, until a biga offer comes ur way. #At all, at all na hin bad.

Dude.. You no lie.. Its nasty when you stay at home doing nothing (I know the feeling)..

7 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Preda: 6:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
harrysterol: is better to sit at home dn collect 20k wit my precious bsc dis principals hv been jokin wit graduates frm time immemorial, how many years wil u work b4 u build a huse?buy a car? Marry a wife? Feed ur kids n cloth ursef? Is beta to do a les streful work 4 20k dn teaching wey u go teach frm mrnin till 4pm cme bck huse come dy tired like 1 escaped person wey run frm prison, bro in my opinion 20k small, dt y even wen I did my service I made it clear in my ppa oga if u cnt pay me well I cnt serve u! Shikina
and he'll be able 2 marry, feed, buy his car etc by staying idle @ home, ryt?? Nobody is saying he should do the work forever. Just 4 d time being thing nd from dere, he cud hope 4 somting bigger. Or U tink some of dose earning 6-digits 2day didn't start from very little beginnings....?

3 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Marvin67: 6:35pm On Sep 08, 2014
Preda: Bro, for how long have u stayed @ home doing nothing? D teaching job will keep u busy, and @ least u'll be earning something even tho its meagre. Imagine if want 2 do a #1000 subsribtn, or get some stuffs worth probly just #2000 or so, and u'll still have 2 depend on someone. I'll advice u to take it up 4 d time being, until a biga offer comes ur way. #At all, at all na hin bad.

Thanks. I've been in the job market for six months.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Preda: 6:35pm On Sep 08, 2014
harrysterol: is better to sit at home dn collect 20k wit my precious bsc dis principals hv been jokin wit graduates frm time immemorial, how many years wil u work b4 u build a huse?buy a car? Marry a wife? Feed ur kids n cloth ursef? Is beta to do a les streful work 4 20k dn teaching wey u go teach frm mrnin till 4pm cme bck huse come dy tired like 1 escaped person wey run frm prison, bro in my opinion 20k small, dt y even wen I did my service I made it clear in my ppa oga if u cnt pay me well I cnt serve u! Shikina
and he'll be able 2 marry, feed, buy his car etc by staying idle @ home, ryt?? Nobody is saying he should do the work forever. Just 4 d time being thing nd from dere, he cud hope 4 nd get somting bigger. Or U tink some of dose earning 6-digits 2day didn't start from very little beginnings....?I know of somthing whose first salary was #15k and tru perseverance is earning 6-digits now! #take a step nd start frm somwhere!

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Marvin67: 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2014
Preda: Bro, for how long have u stayed @ home doing nothing? D teaching job will keep u busy, and @ least u'll be earning something even tho its meagre. Imagine if want 2 do a #1000 subsribtn, or get some stuffs worth probly just #2000 or so, and u'll still have 2 depend on someone. I'll advice u to take it up 4 d time being, until a biga offer comes ur way. #At all, at all na hin bad.
. I've been in the job market for 6 months.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by harrysterol(m): 6:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
Preda: and he'll be able 2 marry, feed, buy his car etc by staying idle @ home, ryt?? Nobody is saying he should do the work forever. Just 4 d time being thing nd from dere, he cud hope 4 somting bigger. Or U tink some of dose earning 6-digits 2day didn't start from very little beginnings....?
he will keep doing for d time bin b4 u knw 5yrs wil pas n time keep counting, dt hw most pple end up in regrets, is better to spend dt time lokin for better job than spending dt time wit careles 20k whch time do u tink he wil use to go search for other jobs, wen u go to school 7am n cme bck 4pm bro if is me I cn tke d job

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by MissIndependent(f): 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2014
edozie04: 20K for a bsc holderThat an insult to the degree
This got me rolling on the floor. Some schools actually pay BSc holders that amount especially schools in Ogun State. grin
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by MissIndependent(f): 6:58pm On Sep 08, 2014
Yes you are correct to an extent. @OP you will also have some change for t.fare to attend job interviews too.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Mcbussy(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
TVTKOKO: pls tell me wat he stands to gain staying @ home

what he stands to gain is that he'd have time to search for better jobs. the worst condition that comes with being under-employed is the fact that the stupid job usually takes most of ur time and prevents you from staying updated.

the only reason that justifies taking a bad job is 1.) if it offers an experience dats relevant to ur field.hence,u can always gain from that experience in d future. so if u av B.Sc and not B.Ed,it's not worth it....(2.) if you don't have people you can totally depend on,that 20k per month might go a long way in terms of ur welfare. So it's up to u to decide what u feel is more favourable.

If you ask for my advice,I'd say you should reject the offer and concentrate on ur job search....but then,i wouldn't know how much u need that 20k per month.

I'm not just talking,i'm speaking from experience cos I've been there b4.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by macklef(m): 7:04pm On Sep 08, 2014
georgee:
Mr man, why cant you apply courtsey in anything, he said hes mind. Why abuse him for that? Tho, i can vehemently tell you, even while i never finished school then(school on strike) i prefared staying at home for a 15k school job as an undergraduate 100L let alone a whole bsc. Its an insult.
On the other hand my elder sister took a teaching job with a startup pay of 12k as a bsc holder. For a lady, i can condone but for a guy, common hussle broda, u cant depend on such salary even to do bis. Salary that will finish even before u collect it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by georgee(m): 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2014
harrysterol: he will keep doing for d time bin b4 u knw 5yrs wil pas n time keep counting, dt hw most pple end up in regrets, is better to spend dt time lokin for better job than spending dt time wit careles 20k whch time do u tink he wil use to go search for other jobs, wen u go to school 7am n cme bck 4pm bro if is me I cn tke d job
. God will bless U a million times. See these poor kids on nairaland wey neva count 20K before.. Na so one foolish guy for ma office.. B.Sc working here for alomost 6yrs now.. Collectn 25K .. Contract staff.. Am sure it was d same foolish pple dt advised him to take d job dt afta some time, he will get somethn betta.. D dude no even get tym to eat lunch at times talkless of avn time to go do anoda interview.. He is stuck hia unless he resigns... Guy forget that meagre 20K and kip lookn for Job.. Kip applyin, study ur gmats..hope and pray.. Am sure ur Job will come.. Dnt listen to these kids wey neva see money before.. 20K be like 2million for their face..

3 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by zicoraads: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2014
Never underestimate the days of humble beginnings...I think its in the bible somewhere...

Take the job. I have heard of someone who got a job thru his students' parents. U neva know when or how a good job would come ur way. Besides, the experience might be a plus to u, someday, somewhr.

Take the job. Don't look too much @ the meagre pay, this is just a stepping stone.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by macklef(m): 7:06pm On Sep 08, 2014
MissIndependent: This got me rolling on the floor. Some schools actually pay BSc holders that amount especially schools in Ogun State. grin
Do you stay in mowe-ibafo axis? Cos thats were such disgrace is perpetuated grin
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by kismo(m): 7:09pm On Sep 08, 2014
@ OP, honestly, there are some decisions no man (not even NL) can make for you. You need to seat and think deep about what you want for yourself before you start hunting for job. You don't just pick up a job just because you are desperate (especially when the so-called takehome can't take u anywhere). Listen, if you don't have intention of being a teacher, it is better you don't take the job because frustration will make you resign your appointment because you may never have time to attend interview or job test. Well, you will have to keep telling lies (i.e if u will even have d opportunity). Even when you attend the interview, you may not be selected because your teaching experience may not count. My advice is that you go look for company that may not even pay you up to 20k but you can earn the cognate experience. 20k is nothing compare to what you will lose in the longrun. I will assume you are a guy. There are so many things you can do with your time(if you are not lazy and shy) that can fetch you at LEAST 10,000 per month assuming you work only Monday to Friday for just 4 hours. Or better still, go to any nearby organisation of your choice, volunteer to work for free. I am sure they will pay you stipend at the end of the month and you will learn alot. I am sure you will not value this piece of advice until you resume the teaching job. I wish you the best. Sorry for the long epistle. Lol.

4 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2014
this topic is somewhat controversial in the sense that no one knows the future.
Its filled with a lot of 'what if's '.
what if u stay with this job n never find another job
what if u stay with this job n some1 there helps u n connects u wit a better job
with if u leave it n never get another job
what if u leave it n get a six digit job
so u c, life is filled with what if's
but one thing i can tell u is that this teaching job can seduce u into becoming comfortable with it. It may make u feel like u have a job n therefore u will become lax in finding another job. it can also occupied a lot of ur time n therefore jeopardise ur job hunt.
All i can tell u is to follow ur heart cos i believe that life has presented u with a lot of choices...
Choose wisely

2 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by MissIndependent(f): 7:26pm On Sep 08, 2014
macklef:
Do you stay in mowe-ibafo axis? Cos thats were such disgrace is perpetuated grin
Lol no I'm actually serving in Akute/Agbado axis. Even some big schools around pay graduates such amount. They will even write it on their vacancy board. "Teachers needed urgently B.sc 15k, H.N.D 14k, NCE 13k Apply within" and some of those teachers handle more than 2Subjects. Chei Ogun state schools sabi disgrace person degree sha my eye don see something. grin grin
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by harrysterol(m): 7:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
georgee: . God will bless U a million times. See these poor kids on nairaland wey neva count 20K before.. Na so one foolish guy for ma office.. B.Sc working here for alomost 6yrs now.. Collectn 25K .. Contract staff.. Am sure it was d same foolish pple dt advised him to take d job dt afta some time, he will get somethn betta.. D dude no even get tym to eat lunch at times talkless of avn time to go do anoda interview.. He is stuck hia unless he resigns... Guy forget that meagre 20K and kip lookn for Job.. Kip applyin, study ur gmats..hope and pray.. Am sure ur Job will come.. Dnt listen to these kids wey neva see money before.. 20K be like 2million for their face..
bro tell dem o, most time u mke sacrifices to gain something bigger, wat shal it profit dt guy to earn 20k in 5years n cnt even burst of a reasonable archivement

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by menix(m): 7:51pm On Sep 08, 2014
@OP.. Lemme tell u d truth by tym u get insult frm satyin home nd lack of fund, u go know say frm agbara to Epe dey trekable..

Most of d dude sayin don't pick d job re frm homes doin fyn nd can sit down waitin for d best job.

Mii wey dey talk jst resign dey wait 4 safety Job. Buh wiv dis home sitting am finkin of gettin a marketing job I detest.

Use ya head wella..

2 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by ejiro2130(m): 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2014
Dude it's better than doing nothing
I have never worked with my bsc certificate
Even though i left uni like 2yrs now

How stressful is the job, how much of ur time does it take? ?

Unless you are thinking of changing ur career
Start there and build ur life

I started worst...started na past tense

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
Draw up a proper Cost-benefit Analysis.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Marvin67: 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2014
Thanks guys. I'd have to give them a response on thursday.
I welcome the opinion of everybody on this thread cos it's making me see this from different angles.
Staying at home is horrible. I've lost count of the number of places I've submitted my CV, both online and in person.
I've also thought of picking up a volunteer job, but all the companies around here are factories in need of labourers.
I'm still hoping of getting that dream job.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Mekyno(m): 9:16pm On Sep 08, 2014
Mcbussy:

what he stands to gain is that he'd have time to search for better jobs. the worst condition that comes with being under-employed is the fact that the stupid job usually takes most of ur time and prevents you from staying updated.

the only reason that justifies taking a bad job is 1.) if it offers an experience dats relevant to ur field.hence,u can always gain from that experience in d future. so if u av B.Sc and not B.Ed,it's not worth it....(2.) if you don't have people you can totally depend on,that 20k per month might go a long way in terms of ur welfare. So it's up to u to decide what u feel is more favourable.

If you ask for my advice,I'd say you should reject the offer and concentrate on ur job search....but then,i wouldn't know how much u need that 20k per month.

I'm not just talking,i'm speaking from experience cos I've been there b4.
d most flexible n reasonable advice, bt i must add, take d job if it giv u tym 4 job search or add value to u. Will it make u sharp acedemically?....pls wich course u read sef?

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by s3nn2x(m): 9:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
I think you should take it. Since it costs #100 for transport, it is better to keep yourself busy instead of staying at home. But just be ready to work. All those private school and slave labour....you go tire.

I have a friend who worked as a teacher in a private earning 15k, after 2 months he Got another one which pays 30k, after 3months he got another job with a start-up firm as the manager, his take home is now a lil above 100k.

So, my guy, it all depends on you and your dreams. You need to be closer to God and pray well. It is just a matter of time. Don't compare yourself with other people....

2 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by macklef(m): 9:26pm On Sep 08, 2014
MissIndependent: Lol no I'm actually serving in Akute/Agbado axis. Even some big schools around pay graduates such amount. They will even write it on their vacancy board. "Teachers needed urgently B.sc 15k, H.N.D 14k, NCE 13k Apply within" and some of those teachers handle more than 2Subjects. Chei Ogun state schools sabi disgrace person degree sha my eye don see something. grin grin
Wow those salary are epic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strictly For Electrical Engineers And Electricians / An idea to eradicate joblessness,drop ur no if interested / Apply For Andela Nigeria Job Recruitment (10 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.