Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,020 members, 7,799,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? (8265 Views)

When There's No Job And You Are Ready To Accept Any Salary / Things Interviewers Say That Confirm You Won't Get An Offer / Would You Accept An Offer Of Employment From Wema Bank? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by 100Cents: 9:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
edozie04: 20K for a bsc holderThat an insult to the degree

Stay at home nah.

Shey your miracle go find you come inside your house ?

Hehe..
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
One word and one word only..(Don't)
For u to post this topic shows u re nt interested in it.. So forget the job n keep searching..
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by 100Cents: 9:42pm On Sep 08, 2014
Marvin67:

Thanks. I've been in the job market for six months.

Bro, life has a way of rewarding the humble.

My sister even took a teaching job for N10,000 while she was doing her masters degree. I paid part of her school fees though i was her younger one. Did you hear me ?

Today, from that 10k job, she is a researcher who travels abroad at will. She is been to 3 continents.

For me, what i do today doesn't even pay my bills, my income comes from my boys. I run an opportunistic business whose income shows like a windfall unannounced. But if I am not there during the bad day, I won't know when the good day will show.

Patience is key..

3 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by 100Cents: 10:07pm On Sep 08, 2014
s3nn2x: I think you should take it. Since it costs #100 for transport, it is better to keep yourself busy instead of staying at home. But just be ready to work. All those private school and slave labour....you go tire.

I have a friend who worked as a teacher in a private earning 15k, after 2 months he Got another one which pays 30k, after 3months he got another job with a start-up firm as the manager, his take home is now a lil above 100k.

So, my guy, it all depends on you and your dreams. You need to be closer to God and pray well. It is just a matter of time. Don't compare yourself with other people....

Was he seated at home, who knows the opportunities he would have lost ?

Going out keeps a job applicant better informed. You meet with and roll with other applicants.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by MissIndependent(f): 10:14pm On Sep 08, 2014
macklef:
Wow those salary are epic
Epic but true. Some around my PPA do owe sef like 3 to 4Months and their staffs resign a lot. Those schools deserved to be sued I swear.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by MissIndependent(f): 10:19pm On Sep 08, 2014
@OP if the school is close to your house or the t.fare is small, please take the job the most important thing is to have a vision/Goal. While you are there, hustle for better places. Sitting at home will not help you. Goodluck
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Simplefaithy(m): 10:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
MissIndependent: This got me rolling on the floor. Some schools actually pay BSc holders that amount especially schools in Ogun State. grin
. some schools re even paying lesser than DAT. in Ibadan and Ilorin too. @op u Berra take it up. if I c one me go do o.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by tutaboi(m): 10:40pm On Sep 08, 2014
okay nah!

TP.........2200, by 22 workin days

Food morning n A/noon.......5500 for 22days

Bis....1000

Weekends movement.....1600. For 8 days
Tithe.......2000
Hair....1000
NepA bills,waste,1000
House rent....1000
Airtime.......1000
Malee and palee...1500

Thank God u still have some saves...2800
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by tafrica(m): 11:39pm On Sep 08, 2014
Actually the choice boils down on your goals and aspirations. I also had earlier vowed not to ever take up any teaching job, but around sept last year I obtained Msc form; and knowing fully well we would only resume this year, I had to take up a teaching job around october in order not to stay home idle. I don't want to believe taking that job will totally prevent you from looking for another offer as portrayed by some comments.
If you have it in mind to further your studies in soonest time, take the job to keep yourself busy and update your brain.
You can also take this job even if you don't intend to go for your Msc soon, just see it as temporary and don't trade away any good opportunity because of teaching job. Most jobs are via online application, don't be fooled you can't look for other jobs. If you're good at your work place, they can also permit you to travel occasionally. I have traveled like 3 or 4times in less than a year at my school. The school is even proposing to place me on part time as I am doing my Msc now.
Take the job while you look beyond the job. Give yourself time frame in the place also, don't assume it a job.
God bless you and good luck.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Nielbaba(m): 1:50am On Sep 09, 2014
macklef:
Wow those salary are epic
dat one still beta mow, i servd in kwara state n my principal will always tell us der rr teachers we corpers earn more than they do (imagine a grown up man wit family earning 10k a month )i dint believe untill a day i was actually adviced ny one of d staffs earning such, dat im too xpensive dat i sulld be able to manage 1k for 2 weeks, since im just feeding myself alone,den i knew d situation was criticall,my pricipal said if hes to employ us after service,our salary s 7500 and if d state s employin us as freshh graduate, salary is 10 k, den i knew dat sstate s out of nigeria,where a level 16 officer is earning less dan 100k
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by MissIndependent(f): 2:54am On Sep 09, 2014
Nielbaba: dat one still beta mow, i servd in kwara state n my principal will always tell us der rr teachers we corpers earn more than they do (imagine a grown up man wit family earning 10k a month )i dint believe untill a day i was actually adviced ny one of d staffs earning such, dat im too xpensive dat i sulld be able to manage 1k for 2 weeks, since im just feeding myself alone,den i knew d situation was criticall,my pricipal said if hes to employ us after service,our salary s 7500 and if d state s employin us as freshh graduate, salary is 10 k, den i knew dat sstate s out of nigeria,where a level 16 officer is earning less dan 100k
Looooolllllllll hahhahahah very funny. Those silly schools should employ SSCE holders as teachers now not B.Sc.!!!
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Ezyp(m): 6:00am On Sep 09, 2014
tafrica: Actually the choice boils down on your goals and aspirations. I also had earlier vowed not to ever take up any teaching job, but around sept last year I obtained Msc form; and knowing fully well we would only resume this year, I had to take up a teaching job around october in order not to stay home idle. I don't want to believe taking that job will totally prevent you from looking for another offer as portrayed by some comments.
If you have it in mind to further your studies in soonest time, take the job to keep yourself busy and update your brain.
You can also take this job even if you don't intend to go for your Msc soon, just see it as temporary and don't trade away any good opportunity because of teaching job. Most jobs are via online application, don't be fooled you can't look for other jobs. If you're good at your work place, they can also permit you to travel occasionally. I have traveled like 3 or 4times in less than a year at my school. The school is even proposing to place me on part time as I am doing my Msc now.
Take the job while you look beyond the job. Give yourself time frame in the place also, don't assume it a job.
God bless you and good luck.

The best ADVICE so far

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by tuncutie(f): 6:11am On Sep 09, 2014
tho its small.....dont look at it from that angle......see there can never be a STAR without a SCAR ad there wont be a SCAR without SACRIFICE......we all have a story to tell......ROME aint build in a day even the bible says Tho ur beginning MIGHT be small but your LATTER end will GRATE and MIGHTY.........Dont give UP because SALARY is small!!!!
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by poxibility: 6:40am On Sep 09, 2014
The decision to take the job or not depends largely on financial circumstances of the OP, If you still have means of survival till you get a reasonable job, I will advise you not to let this meagre salary distract you from searching and preparing for your dream job. The truth is good jobs require constant practice of aptitide test materials, interview preparations, networking, skills development to mention just a few, taking this job will definitely have your attention divided. But If you genuinely don't have means of survival, in this case, you have no choice other than to take the job and keep searching for your dream job, providence will certainly come to your aid one day.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by isi31(f): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2014
In my opinion, I would say only take the job if the job would give you the chance to pursue other opportunities. If not pls continue searching, at the same time its not funny staying at home doing nothing....but it is also not funny being held on a job whereby you can't chase other opportunities such as going for interviews and other huzzlings.

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Exponental(m): 7:00am On Sep 09, 2014
If u have nothing in ur hands, pls take d offer. Joblessness will not boost ur CV.
My experience: I took a job of 25k when I had nothing in hand. Was living in Surulere n was working @ Ogudu rd, Ojota. T-fare was abt N600 daily. God actually tested me with it cos, I had an insight of it before it came. I didnt want to take it but my fiancee then encouraged me. A month later, A better opening came and 5months later, another came.
DO NOT DESPISE THE DAYS OF YOUR LITTLE BEGINNING.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by texybaby(f): 7:20am On Sep 09, 2014
I am a 2:1 graduate of accounting,currently working and earning 20k and spending #200 on t/port daily ive nt included subscriptn,lunch @work when am hungry, sanitaries and e.t.c'ooo so if i get this one I WILL" wetin man go do,sit down for house? Believe me it cld frustrate so its better i get busy building my CV.my opinion
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by macklef(m): 8:05am On Sep 09, 2014
Nielbaba: dat one still beta mow, i servd in kwara state n my principal will always tell us der rr teachers we corpers earn more than they do (imagine a grown up man wit family earning 10k a month )i dint believe untill a day i was actually adviced ny one of d staffs earning such, dat im too xpensive dat i sulld be able to manage 1k for 2 weeks, since im just feeding myself alone,den i knew d situation was criticall,my pricipal said if hes to employ us after service,our salary s 7500 and if d state s employin us as freshh graduate, salary is 10 k, den i knew dat sstate s out of nigeria,where a level 16 officer is earning less dan 100k
Na real wa. 10k, God dey.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by macklef(m): 8:07am On Sep 09, 2014
texybaby: I am a 2:1 graduate of accounting,currently working and earning 20k and spending #200 on t/port daily ive nt included subscriptn,lunch @work when am hungry, sanitaries and e.t.c'ooo so if i get this one I WILL" wetin man go do,sit down for house? Believe me it cld frustrate so its better i get busy building my CV.my opinion
But am sure u not buildin ur cv as a treacher/office assistant/store keeper. Those ones aint building nothing o
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by WINDSOW(m): 8:13am On Sep 09, 2014
macklef:
Do you stay in mowe-ibafo axis? Cos thats were such disgrace is perpetuated grin
Guy u ryte ooooo.Mowe|Ibafo killing glory since 1302AD.That area is a NO NO for an ambitious youth else e go waste like always pad!!!
Mowe,dry ground since 1407AD.Thank GOD for RCCG camp,e for horror!!!

2 Likes

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by harrysterol(m): 8:14am On Sep 09, 2014
tutaboi: okay nah!

TP.........2200, by 22 workin days

Food morning n A/noon.......5500 for 22days

Bis....1000

Weekends movement.....1600. For 8 days
Tithe.......2000
Hair....1000
NepA bills,waste,1000
House rent....1000
Airtime.......1000
Malee and palee...1500

Thank God u still have some saves...2800
hahahaha see analysis, wen u add up clothing is as good as not working

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Tstone1(m): 8:38am On Sep 09, 2014
Good and commendable responses so far. @OP, I was once in your shoes. I had to choose between staying @home or doing something with less income and much time consuming and stress of a job. But believe me it pays to keep doing something than staying idle. Like someone had quoted "don't despise your little beginnings" somehow you just have to pay your price before that big job comes into picture.
Experience matters a lots! I got a job cos I worked in such a capacity in a company I tot I was being enslaved! That's an irony of life bro..most firms want to engage someone they feel has the experience and matured enough to take up a task.
Finally, the ONLY thing I will still have you consider is the aspect of teaching. Only if you studied Education as a discipline in school; if not I would rather advise you to look out for a more specific organisation even that pays lesser than the school just because of the experience to land that dream job!
I wish you the very best!
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by harrysterol(m): 8:55am On Sep 09, 2014
macklef:
But am sure u not buildin ur cv as a treacher/office assistant/store keeper. Those ones aint building nothing o
building a cv in teaching wen u dint study an educational course is like building a skyscrapers on sand

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by babasewen(m): 9:35am On Sep 09, 2014
Ok! Bro listen carefully let tell you my own part. If you stay at you will work more than the employed ones because people around you will continue to use you yet earning nothing. I took a 20k teaching job by this time last year after staying at home for one year with just 1,000 naira left in my account. I left the place for a 25,000 naira own where I was able to take home lessons earning up up to 55,000naira running 4 lesson homes. Now a total of of 80,000naira/month. Then the owner saw my hard work and increased my basic to 30,000naira within 4months. Not up to a year now I'm already on another level in the same school which I don't want to share here. But now I have enough money to start and finish my masters. I have a bachelor of engineering from a federal university even with a very good 2.1. So it's left for you to decide bro

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Amhappy(f): 9:53am On Sep 09, 2014
If you are idle bro take up the job but don't lose focus. Unless you want to start a small business. See it as a way of adding value to the community(NYSC+). If you are at home,you will be boy-boy and will still beg to collect 2k with all the insult on top. Right now i even work without pay just to keep busy and not get rusty. I know my ground is under preparation.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by askakim(m): 10:02am On Sep 09, 2014
@op. It depends on you if you like it but if you are career guy,you need to find an internship programme in your field even though they are paying you peanut there..You know how big Lagos is,there are firms who take graduates as interns to have an ideas of their fields.. Be wise because teaching doesn't add anything to you if you a career person
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by egopersonified(f): 11:19am On Sep 09, 2014
Have a friend whose parents pay their househelp 30k per month, I definately dont expect her to work for 20k. But if you do not have any assistance, you can take the job and add home lesson to it, some people pay up to 15k for just one child's 3 days a week, 1-2hrs of home lesson. Or you forfeit the job and intensify your job search and hopefully you would get a company that pays well or start little and grow from there. If you arent too sure what steps to take, you can just try the job from sept to dec and at the end of the term, analyse and make your plans for january. The most important thing is that you dont see the job as your comfort zone. Always go all out in search of jobs, dont relax and feel 'at least I have a job', always strive for more. Shine your eyes, open your ears, keep in touch with people, let people know you are looking for a job, apply online, prepare for interviews like battle, have an open mind that believes anything is possible and stay tuned to your God.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Imokay: 12:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
Dear People, we must understand our environment very well. OP, like some people have rightly said, you must be clear on what your vision is, once you are, add passion to it. It is passion that will make you take that job and not stay on it for too long. You see, our Nigerian culture where parents still cater for children after sending them to school has not really helped us....hence we see young men and women who are 28,29,30...lounging on a couch and waiting for their dream jobs. What percentage of people started their lives with their dream jobs.......for some of us who graduated during the dark days (late military regime and early democratic regime) we know better. Thank God for the early democratic regime that brought the advent of the telecoms industry which luckily gave rise to more job creation.

When I graduated, you will count yourself lucky to get a 15k job. Some people where getting the very fantastic jobs but how many percentage were they. Yes, those who choose to stay back and not take the small offer will come and ask you who have taken for help when they want to go for their test which you are also going for.

My first job was 15k after graduation, infact it was 12k but was increased based on performance grin . I didn't stay there. I kept moving on, i got a multinational job along the line(because I kept applying) and was sacked..can you beat that. I still did not give up, i kept moving till i got a job with a small cleaning agency, that's like 6yrs after grad and how much was my salary....23k lol (far below what i was earning at the multinational). I still did not stop there i kept moving with passion. Now I own my company and pay salaries. I could tell you of friend that we started together...infact one with a 2.1 was working at a cybercafe (it used to be a very lucrative business back in the day)as a manager, his salary was 20k but he didn't get comfortable there(of cause he can't be). He eventually got a job with Ecobank and while we where rejoicing, he got a call for Chevron medical test one week into Ecobank mgmt training(meaning he kept applying and kept writing tests). That was how he joined Chevron and the rest is history. It may be tough but please follow your heart and passion. Have a disposition that is not overtly dependent....work with willing hands and start from somewhere, don't entertain too much of what if questions. if you start the job and its getting in your way, resign and get another...no one will take your experience from you.I know teachers(private secondary schools)who are now trainers with consulting firms....so its how far you can see..........sorry peeps for my long epistle, i could go on and on....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by zeongeon: 1:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ahhhh, Nigeria changing peoples destinies...its only in this country where it is okay for a graduate to come out with good grades and proudly earn 20k...then what's the essence of d school it would hv been wise to join our igbo traders learn a trade for the equivalent amount of yrs u spend in school who will graduate from oga house and earn "better" than graduates who studied hard and spent sleepless nights.

The TRUTH is that most pple by the time they take 20k for a year or two without even knowing they become comfortable with the pay and find themselves staying in that 20k place for yrs.

The at all at all mentality has kept some pple in a place for 10yrs earning 25k some 15k..its only few pple that are lucky enough to even find a better place after starting with 20k and again u even have to know some one or have d connection in most cases to get d better place and also the grace of GOD

The only time I advice that u take on meagre salaries or voluntary jobs is when the job is in ur field of passion..for gaining experience in that field will surely pay more than well in the future..The truth is that or else u have connection or by d special mercy of God u may not be able to apply and get that good job if u don't hv a little experience related in that field for example 2 engineers one gets a teaching job and d other gets an engineering voluntary job or engineering job with say 15k and then there is an engineering job opening paying 250k who do u think they take? the guy teaching or d guy doing the engineering job with meagre pay.

At times in life we just have to fight for what we want.

The country has so tortured us pshycologically that things that are not normal are been accepted as normal.

I remember listening to a radio show and the host had a foreigner with him when so there was a caller who said he was a graduate earning 15k, d host and foreigner where like 15 wattt!!!...phewww.

I know people are going through a lot but look for ur passion or field of study if u must settle for a meagre pay.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Kk4(m): 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
I saw this some where. It might inspire you.

Dear Applicant: Thank you for your letter inquiring about
positions in our economics department. At this time, we have no openings. However, I will keep your letter on file should an appropriate job become available. At least, that's what I am required to tell you. But here's what I'd really like to say to you - and to every recent economics graduate who sends me the same letter.
First, I know it's lousy for bachelor of arts graduates looking
for a job "in their field." Twenty years ago, it was lousy for
me too. It's almost always lousy. In a way, it's kind of
supposed to be - a small rite of passage to welcome you into the working world. It's sort of like being froshed.
But if I may, I would like to offer some advice.
Don't be too fixated on landing a job "in your field." The truth is, you don't yet have a field. In university, you majored in economics, but that may or may not be your eventual field of professional work. The world is full of possibilities; limiting your search to an economist job is a terribly narrow way to start out.
You chose to study economics, which doesn't necessarily
imply that you'll be an economist. Rather, it implies you have an aptitude for problem solving. You're probably good at analyzing data. You can see different sides of an argument. And I'll bet you're excellent at finding solutions to problems. These are essential skills required in hundreds of rewarding (and lucrative) fields of professional employment. Your ultimate field may actually be in sales for a biotech firm. It may be analyzing crime statistics for the city police. It may even be a rock star (just ask Mick Jagger). The world is full of "fields." What you're facing is a common problem: BA graduates confuse their major area of study with what they expect to be their eventual careers. It doesn't matter if it's a degree in history, film studies, sociology, or comparative feminist Literature.
You've successfully navigated your way through a four-year
degree. Congratulations! That is no small accomplishment.
But now you're embarking on a totally different program of
learning - one that will last the rest of your life. It's called
"What am I here for?"
That may sound all spiritual and existential, but don't let it
throw you off. It just means that your challenge from here on is to find what you're good at, and keep getting better and better at it.
An apology, by the way, on behalf of society: We are sorry if
we led you to believe that attending university would land
you a good job. That's not actually true. A polytechnic college will do this - and the job opportunities available right now are fantastic. A good option for you might be to continue post- university studies at a polytechnic.
But your university education, at least at the bachelor of arts level, was never intended to land you a job. It was intended to make you a more complete thinker. It was intended to teach you how to absorb complex information and make reasoned arguments. It was, quite simply, intended to teach you how to learn. Those are skills that you'll use in any field of work.
Open your mind to all sorts of job possibilities. Don't be too
proud to start out in the service industry, or where you might get your fingernails dirty. Talk to as many people as you can about their career paths. But never, ever, allow yourself to
think you've wasted your time in university if you don't land a job as an economist.
Meanwhile, be encouraged and stay positive. And yes, I will
keep your letter on file. But my guess is that when a position
in my economics group eventually opens up, you'll no longer
be available.
Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2014

1 Like

Re: Would You Accept An Offer With A Salary Like This? by tellwisdom: 5:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
20k abi how much you call am??...for?? So you wan waste your saliva because of money wey no reach u drink beer on a sitting??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apply For Andela Nigeria Job Recruitment (10 Positions) / Peopleplus Zenith Bank Test / An idea to eradicate joblessness,drop ur no if interested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.