Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,856 members, 7,806,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery (11715 Views)

Photo Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In Superman Attire / Video Of Pastor Caught Pants Down Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman / Picture Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In 1997 (At A Camp Meeting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:34pm On Sep 08, 2014
10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery
Posted by: YouNews on September 3, 2014

There are issues; accusations against Pastor Chris Oyakhilome that reverberates even years after. They are unresolved. Pastor Chris, as he is popularly called, and his Christ Embassy Church, are no strangers to scandals, as they have had a sizeable load of it in the past.

1. In 2010, Oyakhilome was accused of engineering a money laundering scheme in Nigeria, and questions swirled around his finances because of his glamorous lifestyle.

2. Many pastors and theologians also excoriated Oyakhilome for his “New Creation” doctrine which many saw as heresy—a form of gnosticism that postulated that after a person became a Christian, any sin they committed was only in the body and will not affect the spirit.

3. In 2008, Oyakhilome’s reputation as a faith healer was further tarnished in Johannesburg, South Africa, when a man told a Soweto newspaper that Christ Embassy offered him more than $1,200 to sit in a wheelchair and pretend to be crippled until Oyakhilome prayed for him.
“The man went to the media instead of taking the money, sparking concerns that healings were being faked to impress growing crowds,” said Lee Grady in an article in 2012 published by Charisma Magazine.

4. The same year, another Nigerian pastor, Chris Okotie, had accused Oyakhilome of conniving with Pastor TB Joshua in practising necromancy as well as other unbiblical acts in order to win over a large congregation.

5. In addition, Oyakhilome had been the target of criticism by the Treatment Action Campaign for his support of faith healing to cure HIV/AIDS.

6. Similarly, allegations that Christ Embassy members were reportedly being forced to give huge sums of money in offerings, with the biggest donors receiving the biggest award, had left many people concerned.

7. Many Nigerians had also alleged that the church operates like a cult and pressures members to marry only within Christ Embassy.

8. Many people also remember the scandal involving Christ Embassy and Sheraton Hotel some years ago when a member of the church, who worked at the Sheraton Hotel, stole money from his employers and gave it to Christ Embassy.
But when Sheraton approached the church for a refund, the church allegedly claimed that the money had been given to God and could not be retrieved.

9. Many had also excoriated Pastor Chris some years ago when the church began collecting gate fee from members for their New Year eve service.

10. More recently, Oyakhilome came under attack after he claimed that Christians were free to masturbate because it was not a sin.
But the latest scandal involving Anita and Chris, who have two daughters, Sharon and Charlene, seems to threaten the very existence of one of the biggest churches in Nigeria.

Christ Embassy runs several arms including the Healing School, Rhapsody of Realities, and an NGO called the Inner-city Missions as well as three Christian television channels: LoveWorld TV, LoveWorld SAT and LoveWorld Plus.

The church has branches all over the world, including the United Kingdom, the United States, South America and the whole of Europe.

The hostility between Pastors Chris and Anita Oyakhilome of Christ Embassy Church is getting messier, as it has emerged that Christ Embassy has deleted her pictures and personal information from its official website.

Those in the know described the action as the beginning of a process to shut her out of the church, after she accused her husband of “adultery” and “unreasonable behaviour” in the divorce suit filed in London last April but only made public on Friday.

According to The Streamng, Christ Embassy’s new website now shows only Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, with a broad smile welcoming his followers to the month of September and tagging it, “Month of Praise”.

In the message on the website, Oyakhilome also urged his followers to “rejoice for the joy of the Lord is your strength”.

Also, on the website of the Rhapsody of Realities, a daily devotional co-authored by the erstwhile couple, there was nothing to show that Anita had anything to do with the church, as the only visible face on the website among the family members was that of her husband.

However, it was too early to ascertain if the September edition of the Rhapsody of Realities still had the photographs of both the pastor and his wife, as was the case in the past.

The duo had presented themselves as a model couple, who many of their followers and members wanted to emulate.
In the past, when the going was good, Anita and Chris Oyakhilome held hands on the church website and smiled broadly. They projected the image of a perfect couple.

Signs that things were falling apart for the couple began to surface at the beginning of the year when Chris and Anita were hardly seen at public occasions together.

Also, the cracks became apparent last May when Pastor Chris said some unpleasant things about Anita while he addressed his pastors in the United Kingdom.

He told the pastors: “Bitterness is prolonged and accumulated anger. My wife is always angry and bitter.”
He further condemned the attitude of the wife for seeing herself as an equal. According to Chris, “Some pastors’ wives think when they marry a pastor, they are equals to the pastors.

My wife thinks so. As a matter of fact, Rev. Tom was her pastor before I married her and Rev. Ray and Evang. Owase were her leaders long before I married her. How come she thinks she’s senior to them now?”

The fact that when the chips are down, the ownership of the church will not be debatable was also well laid out by Chris when he stated: “I already started Christ Embassy before I married her. I didn’t marry her and said we should start Christ Embassy. I was already pastoring. I already set my sail and knew my direction before I married her. I only said come and help me.”

- See more at: http://www.younewsng.com/2014/09/03/10-terrible-scandals-of-pastor-oyakhilome-as-wife-claims-adultery/#sthash.VCF7QYUz.dpuf

1 Like

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Kirinwa: 7:37pm On Sep 08, 2014
Op do you expect us to click that link?

undecided
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by pendusky(m): 7:44pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

So?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 08, 2014
Look! He that has not sinned should be the FIRST TO CAST A STONE. I don't like the way people are going about this issue. He is a brother in the LORD. If he is erring, pray for him or better still, COUNSEL HIM. We should learn to cover our shame and unclothedness in christendom.

1 Like

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Rich4god(m): 7:48pm On Sep 08, 2014
Ola opening "bashing" thread since the ice age... Guy, why not let the church be...
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Joagbaje(m): 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2014
Only ten? It's more than that na. These are just yesterday stories cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:51pm On Sep 08, 2014
pendusky:

So?

Here is an excerpt of point 2 of the article that I have confirmed with Joagbaje on this forum and that I have also observed happening with relatives of mine who are members of his church:

2. Many pastors and theologians also excoriated Oyakhilome for his "New Creation" doctrine which many saw as heresy—a form of gnosticism that postulated that after a person became a Christian, any sin they committed was only in the body and will not affect the spirit.

This doctrine gives me reason for concern in Christendom today.

1 Like

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by lanre316: 7:51pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU believes that tearing other ministries down will lend more credence to his own ministry - Deeper Life.

Don't worry. What goes around comes around. It's just a matter of time, another great scandal will rock deeper life to the core, greater than Kumuyi's son wedding fiasco.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Chaleeee: 7:59pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks: Look! He that has not sinned should be the FIRST TO CAST A STONE. I don't like the way people are going about this issue. He is a brother in the LORD. If he is erring, pray for him or better still, COUNSEL HIM. We should learn to cover our shame and unclothedness in christendom.

If to say na GEJ bashing thread now, una finger muscles go dey strong.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Tallesty1(m): 8:01pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks: Look! He that has not sinned should be the FIRST TO CAST A STONE. I don't like the way people are going about this issue. He is a brother in the LORD. If he is erring, pray for him or better still, COUNSEL HIM. We should learn to cover our shame and unclothedness in christendom.
He said he is a man of God and different from others..

Now breeze don blow n we all don see say Fowl sef dey wear G-string.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:06pm On Sep 08, 2014
Kirinwa:

Op do you expect us to click that link?

undecided

You don't have to click just read the quote posted in the OP. cool
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 08, 2014
Chaleeee:

even if it was GEJ, so long he is my christian brother, I'm not expected to OVER condemn him especially when I know muslims (who are always looking for negatives in christendon even though their's is of terror) are on net as well. The only set of people i don't spare are the SENATORS or SENATHIEVES 'abi'?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:11pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks:

Look! He that has not sinned should be the FIRST TO CAST A STONE. I don't like the way people are going about this issue. He is a brother in the LORD. If he is erring, pray for him or better still, COUNSEL HIM. We should learn to cover our shame and unclothedness in christendom.

Are you admitting that there is substance to these scandals or that we should cover them up?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2014
Rich4god:

Ola opening "bashing" thread since the ice age... Guy, why not let the church be...

That I should let sleeping dogs lie bah?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:14pm On Sep 08, 2014
Joagbaje:

Only ten? It's more than that na. These are just yesterday stories cool

My thoughts went back to the discussion we had back then when you affirmed point 2 in the article in the OP. Do you now see the danger in that heretical doctrine of "New Creation"?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:17pm On Sep 08, 2014
lanre316:

OLAADEGBU believes that tearing other ministries down will lend more credence to his own ministry - Deeper Life.

Don't worry. What goes around comes around. It's just a matter of time, another great scandal will rock deeper life to the core, greater than Kumuyi's son wedding fiasco.

How am I tearing another ministry down? and how was Kumuyi's son wedding a scandal?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:18pm On Sep 08, 2014
Chaleeee:

No mind dem. undecided
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 08, 2014
Tallesty1: He said he is a man of God and different from others..

Now breeze don blow n we all don see say Fowl sef dey wear G-string.
do you know some muslims (even though they know what boko haram is doing is evil) cover up for boko haram?? Abi?? 'Ask the sultan of sokoto. Not that they like the blood shed as such abi?? Let's try to support our own. Not covering up his sins but counselling him instead! 'Haba!' We've said enough 'na' it's OK. Divorce is not good! YES! But try to counsel him not condemn! 'Haba!'. If JESUS behaved like we hypocritical humans, not even mary magdalene would have survived. Thanks to GOD!! HE NEVER DID!!
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by successking401(m): 8:19pm On Sep 08, 2014
Hmnnnn!
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks:

even if it was GEJ, so long he is my christian brother, I'm not expected to OVER condemn him especially when I know muslims (who are always looking for negatives in christendon even though their's is of terror) are on net as well. The only set of people i don't spare are the SENATORS or SENATHIEVES 'abi'?

There are only two religions: The Biblical Christian worldview and the humanist worldview.
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks:

do you know some muslims (even though they know what boko haram is doing is evil) cover up for boko haram?? Abi?? 'Ask the sultan of sokoto. Not that they like the blood shed as such abi?? Let's try to support our own. Not covering up his sins but counselling him instead! 'Haba!' We've said enough 'na' it's OK. Divorce is not good! YES! But try to counsel him not condemn! 'Haba!'. If JESUS behaved like we hypocritical humans, not even mary magdalene would have survived. Thanks to GOD!! HE NEVER DID!!

There is no point covering what should be addressed and dealt with especially if it is spreading like wild fire.

1 Like

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you admitting that there is substance to these scandals or that we should cover them up?
look! Oga! I really like some of your posts (if you have observed) and I know you are a good christian (from what I see 'oooo'). The fact is this topic has been over emphasized. The Bible said that you are a chosen generation, a royal priest hood...... Meaning you yourself are a pastor 'abi?' Now tell me as a pastor haven't you sinned within this last few days?? (Food for thought) it's left for christians to counsel him. I want to believe he has received enough criticisms 'abi?' It's time for counselling and prayers or don't you agree?? Don't let him go to hell! "Encourage him" in the faith. This is an oppurtunity for people to even counsel him as regards some doctrines they feel is not right that he's encouraging. This they should do in love as the devil is busy snatching people even through our hypocritical attitude. GOD bless you bro!
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks:

look! Oga! I really like some of your posts (if you have observed) and I know you are a good christian (from what I see 'oooo').

Only God is good. Let us fear God and depart from iniquity.

sbaks:

The fact is this topic has been over emphasized. The Bible said that you are a chosen generation, a royal priest hood...... Meaning you yourself are a pastor 'abi?' Now tell me as a pastor haven't you sinned within this last few days?? (Food for thought)

For your information. I have broken all of the 10 commandments and thanks be to Jesus who has forgiven me of all of my sins but does that mean that I should continue in sin so that grace should abound?

sbaks:

it's left for christians to counsel him. I want to believe he has received enough criticisms 'abi?' It's time for counselling and prayers or don't you agree?? Don't let him go to hell! "Encourage him" in the faith. This is an oppurtunity for people to even counsel him as regards some doctrines they feel is not right that he's encouraging. This they should do in love as the devil is busy snatching people even through our hypocritical attitude. GOD bless you bro!

The danger is, a leader's sin is a leading sin that spreads like wildfire.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

There is no point covering what should be addressed and dealt with especially if it is spreading like wild fire.
is it not people like you who spread it like wild fire?? (No insult meant please) I mean, this topic has been running for weeks now (if I'm not mistaken) 'haba e never do??' It's christians who are actually spreading it like wild fire (even christians in the media) day 1, day 2, day 3 is enough but to run for weeks? Condemnation for that matter, not counselling?? Do you want him to commit suicide?? Would even muslims do this?? Let's think!! Let's even use this oppurtunity to counsel him on some of his doctrines not condemn him. Only love can penetrate the heart you know?? GOD is love. Let's emulate him abeg. Enough of the condemnation!! Start counselling and prayers smiley GOD bless you

1 Like

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:51pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks:

is it not people like you who spread it like wild fire?? (No insult meant please) I mean, this topic has been running for weeks now (if I'm not mistaken) 'haba e never do??' It's christians who are acyually spreading it like wild fire (even christians in the media) day 1, day 2, day 3 is enough but to run for weeks? Condemnation for that matter, not counselling?? Do you want him to commit suicide?? Would even muslims do this?? Let's think!! Let's even use this oppurtunity to counsel him on some of his doctrines not condemn him. Only love can penetrate the heart you know?? GOD is love. Let's emulate him abeg. Enough of the condemnation!! Start counselling and prayers smiley GOD bless you

Rebuke is not judgment. Constructive criticism is not tantamount to Condemnation. We in Christendom often get that fact mixed up.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Only God is good. Let us fear God and depart from iniquity.

For your information. I have broken all of the 10 commandments and thanks be to Jesus who has forgiven me of all of my sins but does that mean that I should continue in sin so that grace should abound?

The danger is, a leader's sin is a leading sin that spreads like wildfire.

and what proof do you have that he is continuing in sin?? After all, it's his wife who is suing for divorce and he is against it. I may not like the masturbation sermon etc. But I certainly can't judge him especially based on marriage when I know that marriage is not an easy journey. He doesn't want divorce. Get your facts STRAIGHT. The wife even needs more COUNSELLING 'sef'
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:57pm On Sep 08, 2014
sbaks:

and what proof do you have that he is continuing in sin?? After all, it's his wife who is suing for divorce and he is against it. I may not like the masturbation sermon etc. But I certainly can't judge him especially based on marriage when I know that marriage is not an easy journey. He doesn't want divorce. Get your fact STRAIGHT. The wife even needs more COUNSELLING 'sef'

Only if you know what he teaches as "New Creation" (Point 2 in the OP) the fact that the sin of adultery or fornication doesn't affect your spirit, will you understand the impact this heresy has on his followers.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 08, 2014
And how true are these allegations?
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Rebuke is not judgment. Constructive criticism is not tantamount to Condemnation. We in Christendom often get that fact mixed up.
critisms for how long brother?? Going to 3 weeks?? 'Haba!' If GOD criticizes you for 3 weeks, would you be able to stand in his presence?? Haba! Criticism is good 'but 3 days never do??' I'm suprised at you!!! Don't you of all people know that pastors need MUCH MORE ENCOURAGEMENTS and PRAYERS compared to congregants?? 'Haba!' This topic has ran for weeks if I'm not mistaken. 'Abeg, make una start to pray for am ABEG!!!! Christianity no easy'
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Only if you know what he teaches as "New Creation" (Point 2 in the OP) the fact that the sin of adultery or fornication doesn't affect your spirit, will you understand the impact this heresy has on his followers.
I've not heard his messages, and I don't really listen as such, but I believe a sinner needs prayers and a godly counsel
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 08, 2014
@olaadegbu just keep praying for him. I've heard so many things though(about him and his ministry) but prayers could help 'abi?'. From what i see, "i think" he started the race well but along the line............ sad
Re: 10 Terrible Scandals Of Pastor Oyakhilome, As Wife Claims Adultery by smileysmiles(f): 11:40pm On Sep 08, 2014
@sbaks

May God never leave your side. as much as d OP is saying "constructive criticism and rebuke" all i see is a list of a man's "sins". or can u please show me what part of the post the "rebuke and constructive comparison" are?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sodom And Gomorrah (Didn't the Children matter?) / The Day A "Bad Guy" Met His Saviour / TB Joshua Celebrates His 52nd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.