Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,338 members, 7,780,889 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:56 AM

Thread For Air Condition - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Thread For Air Condition (7851 Views)

The Horrible Condition Of Enugu-Onitsha Express Road, Worst In Nigeria. (PICS.) / Air Condition Issues In Toyota Camry 2008 GLX / Honda Recalls 304,000 Vehicles Worldwide For Air-bag Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 8:22am On Sep 09, 2014
I was going through the site for solution of the little challenge but to no avail. So this thread will serve as an Avenue to resolve all air condition related issues. This thread will cut across all brands of cars because the refrigeration/air conditioning processes are similar in cars. Experts in the house, your humble advice and suggestions are fully welcomed. Viewers with similar problems which was resolved are also free to contribute.

My mums car is today's case study. It's a Toyota camry. 2003 model. The ac cools for few seconds and stop with it ac light blinking. I took time to troubleshoot, I checked if the fuse was intact and also for leakage. They are good from my own observation. She visited a technician that told her that her compressor is faulty and requires replacement. I had to crave your indulgence as regards this before we will regret and pitiable outcome. Below are visuals. Thanks

1 Share

Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 8:35am On Sep 09, 2014
I'm unable to upload a short clip due to bad network
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Stylz69(m): 6:08pm On Sep 09, 2014
Check your cabin air filter. It is usually located behind the glove compartment. A clogged filter could cause that
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 6:58pm On Sep 09, 2014
Stylz69: Check your cabin air filter. It is usually located behind the glove compartment. A clogged filter could cause that
I initially visited a technician that wanted to do magic. He told that can only connect the compressor from a direct source of power. He also said that for it to work effectively, that he have remove the thermostat. Immediately I heard that I automatic turned to usan bolt with supercharged legs, I ran to a Toyota affiliate where proper troubleshooting was done grin

I actually did that but it didn't solve the problem, I also checked the relay. It was also ok. A direct connection was done to check the performance of the compressor. But it almost dragged the running engine to a halt. It's sad the the best alternative was to replace the compressor.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by mayor2013: 7:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
Bro if your compressor drags its either they change the bearing and coil or change the entire compressor and let them also check the belt of the compressor if has no marking yet. I hada similar problem like this on an lexus rx330 and the problem has been fixed. If your car allows you to scan your Ac pls scan it. But I doubt for a toyota camry 2003
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 7:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
mayor2013: Bro if your compressor drags its either they change the bearing and coil or change the entire compressor and let them also check the belt of the compressor if has no marking yet. I hada similar problem like this on an lexus rx330 and the problem has been fixed. If your car allows you to scan your Ac pls scan it. But I doubt for a toyota camry 2003

I was unable to scan the ac.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by anochuks08(m): 10:15am On Sep 10, 2014
camaro: I was going through the site for solution of the little challenge but to no avail. So this thread will serve as an Avenue to resolve all air condition related issues. This thread will cut across all brands of cars because the refrigeration/air conditioning processes are similar in cars. Experts in the house, your humble advice and suggestions are fully welcomed. Viewers with similar problems which was resolved are also free to contribute.

My mums car is today's case study. It's a Toyota camry. 2003 model. The ac cools for few seconds and stop with it ac light blinking. I took time to troubleshoot, I checked if the fuse was intact and also for leakage. They are good from my own observation. She visited a technician that told her that her compressor is faulty and requires replacement. I had to crave your indulgence as regards this before we will regret and pitiable outcome. Below are visuals. Thanks

I had a similar problem.
Your compressor has issues. if you turn on the ac and keep your engine reving high, the ac wont go off and the ac light won't blink. but if your engine goes back to normal, after a few minutes, the ac light starts blinking and it stops chilling. just change your ac compressor and everything will be ok.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by senator2k9(m): 10:16am On Sep 10, 2014
camaro:
I initially visited a technician that wanted to do magic. He told that can only connect the compressor from a direct source of power. He also said that for it to work effectively, that he have remove the thermostat. Immediately I heard that I automatic turned to usan bolt with supercharged legs, I ran to a Toyota affiliate where proper troubleshooting was done grin

I actually did that but it didn't solve the problem, I also checked the relay. It was also ok. A direct connection was done to check the performance of the compressor. But it almost dragged the running engine to a halt. It's sad the the best alternative was to replace the compressor.
lol.......I can't stop laughing. Removing thermostat frm d cooling system is d worse thing any techician can do. Bro its beta u ran away o! If dat thermostat was removed, the compressor would have been working continiously without stop, and it won't even take up to a week b4 that compressor finally knocks! The thermostat was designed to make the compressor breathe n cool with the return pipe when the thermostat switches off. Count urself lucky coz with a knocked system u wil have to overhaul ur entire cooling system
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 10:01pm On Sep 10, 2014
senator2k9: lol.......I can't stop laughing. Removing thermostat frm d cooling system is d worse thing any techician can do. Bro its beta u ran away o! If dat thermostat was removed, the compressor would have been working continiously without stop, and it won't even take up to a week b4 that compressor finally knocks! The thermostat was designed to make the compressor breathe n cool with the return pipe when the thermostat switches off. Count urself lucky coz with a knocked system u wil have to overhaul ur entire cooling system

Thanks
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
Stylz69: Check your cabin air filter. It is usually located behind the glove compartment. A clogged filter could cause that

A clogged HVAC filter will cause the AC light to blink?
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
camaro:

It's actually an astute person with traditional methods.

Perhaps there was miscommunication.

The issue could be that the thermostat is faulty, so what he wants to do is bypass the thermostat and instead supply direct 12 volts to the compressor. As long as it's from a fused power source there's nothing wrong with the method, though like I said it's a bit traditional and not the modern way of testing.

I think you owe him an apology.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Air Condition by Stylz69(m): 1:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

A clogged HVAC filter will cause the AC light to blink?

Could not will...

Do some research and you will find that this happens.

Thank me later wink
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 2:09pm On Sep 12, 2014
I have researched on it and tried different suggestions online. But the technician said confidently that it's an electrical problem. A good electrician came and checked. After troubleshooting, he suspected the thermostat for the ac. The pictures are below. We have changed the air filter and checked the compressor and condenser yet it persisted. I hope the thermostat solves the problem. I'm in alaoji, in abia state.

1 Share

Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2014
Stylz69:

Could not will...

Do some research and you will find that this happens.

Thank me later wink

You're mistaken as I won't be thanking you now nor later.

The diagnosis that you're proposing is absolutely improbable.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2014
camaro: I have researched on it and tried different suggestions online. But the technician said confidently that it's an electrical problem. A good electrician came and checked. After troubleshooting, he suspected the thermostat for the ac. The pictures are below. We have changed the air filter and checked the compressor and condenser yet it persisted. I hope the thermostat solves the problem. I'm in alaoji, in abia state.

It can never be the filter.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Stylz69(m): 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

You're mistaken as I won't be thanking you nor later.

The diagnosis that you're proposing is absolutely improbable.

You seem so certain. I became aware of this when a friend of mine approached me with this issue. As I wasn't an expert in the field, I told him I had to ask Mr.Google and my searches came up with that as a probable cause. I told him my findings and said he could try that for a start which he did and the problem went away.
So am I absolutely wrong or was it a fluke? Fact...it worked. Fact...it has worked for others. Conclusion: I'd try that for a start before I go to a garage where they'd tell me it is my relay or blown compressor or clutch or AC thermostat or 'boris' or the witch in my village who has place a curse on my car.

Like I said earlier...Thank me later wink
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 12, 2014
Stylz69:

You seem so certain. I became aware of this when a friend of mine approached me with this issue. As I wasn't an expert in the field, I told him I had to ask Mr.Google and my searches came up with that as a probable cause. I told him my findings and said he could try that for a start which he did and the problem went away.
So am I absolutely wrong or was it a fluke? Fact...it worked. Fact...it has worked for others. Conclusion: I'd try that for a start before I go to a garage where they'd tell me it is my relay or blown compressor or clutch or AC thermostat or 'boris' or the witch in my village who has place a curse on my car.

Like I said earlier...Thank me later wink

And like I said earlier I will never thank you now or later because you're wrong.

Read this by the OP and and weep

camaro: I have researched on it and tried different suggestions online. But the technician said confidently that it's an electrical problem. A good electrician came and checked. After troubleshooting, he suspected the thermostat for the ac. The pictures are below. We have changed the air filter [/b]and checked the compressor and condenser [b]yet it persisted. I hope the thermostat solves the problem. I'm in alaoji, in abia state.

Filter has nothing to do with a blinking AC button.

The problem here is that in the future someone is going to read your kakamimi solution and take it as gospel and start wasting money changing filters.

OP should go back to the original HVAC mechanic, isolate the power from the vehicle as he suggested and supply direct fused 12volts to the compressor to see if it maintains cooling.

The compressor may not be faulty, it could just be the clutch.

While I'm not certified, I have worked professionally with AC systems in the past. I've installed AC system in at least 3 cars of mine.

What is your background and experience in automotive HVAC?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Air Condition by sultaan(m): 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
If you have changed the cabin air filter try this next

http://www.matrixowners.com/tsb/T-EL011-05.pdf

Don't do anything extreme yet.

Remember to remove negative battery cable first

2 videos for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-oETQXoe0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q95ZuA7x1o
Re: Thread For Air Condition by chukel(m): 7:07pm On Sep 12, 2014
Op, Ur problem is common with camry of 2003-2008. Believe me, it is not more than fuse or relay.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 7:30pm On Sep 12, 2014
After all set and done I had to change the ecu and it came back to normal. According to the electrician, he said that the initial guy that want to bypass protocol for wrong connection could have caused the damage on the ecu. But I have rectified the problem and the ac has returned to Scottish standard. I hope this thread will go along way to help anyone with similar issue. Don't forget to add photos to what ever you post here. Thanks.
Long live the experts,
Long live car talk section,
Long live nairaland, wink
Re: Thread For Air Condition by chukel(m): 7:47pm On Sep 12, 2014
camaro: After all set and done I had to change the ecu and it came back to normal. According to the electrician, he said that the initial guy that want to bypass protocol for wrong connection could have caused the damage on the ecu. But I have rectified the problem and the ac has returned to Scottish standard. I hope this thread will go along way to help anyone with similar issue. Don't forget to add photos to what ever you post here. Thanks.
Long live the experts,
I don't get it. The initial pepin tried bypassing protocol cos u brought a faulty hvac system to him. If he damaged d ecu in d process, a replacement wudnt av solved d ac issue, but take u back to square 1. So what are u not telling us? For posterity's sake.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Stylz69(m): 12:58am On Sep 13, 2014
CityNG:

And like I said earlier I will never thank you now or later because you're wrong.

Read this by the OP and and weep

Filter has nothing to do with a blinking AC button.

The problem here is that in the future someone is going to read your kakamimi solution and take it as gospel and start wasting money changing filters.

OP should go back to the original HVAC mechanic, isolate the power from the vehicle as he suggested and supply direct fused 12volts to the compressor to see if it maintains cooling.

The compressor may not be faulty, it could just be the clutch.

While I'm not certified, I have worked professionally with AC systems in the past. I've installed AC system in at least 3 cars of mine.

What is your background and experience in automotive HVAC?

Oh! I have no background or experience in automotive HVAC. I'm just a user; I get in my car switch it on and cool air comes flowing in. I don't even want to know where it comes from neither do I have the experience to install AC in any car of mine maybe because I buy them factory fitted. I also have never experienced the above stated problem. Note that if you read my post, I never laid claims to being an expert rather I relied on experiences of others by asking the chief savings, Mr. Google. All I proposed was a simple fix which had worked for others and note, cleaning a clogged filter won't set you back more than 50 naira which the tyre repair man will take to blow air over it. I appreciate your expertise in the field of installation of automotive HVAC and won't challenge that. What do I know sef!!! All I proposed was something that worked for my friend and has worked for others. So if ever I buy a carry and the AC light is blinking, I will try out my cheap kakamimi solution first before calling you to come and fix it for me. That's why you are the expert.
Like I said do some research and thank me later later for my kakamimi solution wink
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 3:23am On Sep 13, 2014
Stylz69:

Oh! I have no background or experience in automotive HVAC. I'm just a user; I get in my car switch it on and cool air comes flowing in. I don't even want to know where it comes from neither do I have the experience to install AC in any car of mine maybe because I buy them factory fitted. I also have never experienced the above stated problem. Note that if you read my post, I never laid claims to being an expert rather I relied on experiences of others by asking the chief savings, Mr. Google. All I proposed was a simple fix which had worked for others and note, cleaning a clogged filter won't set you back more than 50 naira which the tyre repair man will take to blow air over it. I appreciate your expertise in the field of installation of automotive HVAC and won't challenge that. What do I know sef!!! All I proposed was something that worked for my friend and has worked for others. So if ever I buy a carry and the AC light is blinking, I will try out my cheap kakamimi solution first before calling you to come and fix it for me. That's why you are the expert.
Like I said do some research and thank me later later for my kakamimi solution wink

That was very glaringly obvious.

HVAC is not my day job and even if it is a sign that says "I reserve the right to refuse service" is featured prominently in my garage grin

1 Like

Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 3:25am On Sep 13, 2014
camaro: After all set and done I had to change the ecu and it came back to normal. According to the electrician, he said that the initial guy that want to bypass protocol for wrong connection could have caused the damage on the ecu. But I have rectified the problem and the ac has returned to Scottish standard. I hope this thread will go along way to help anyone with similar issue. Don't forget to add photos to what ever you post here. Thanks.
Long live the experts,

Do you have the original ECU?

As far as I know, the ECU does not control the HVAC system.

Someone please correct and educate me if so.

It's nice to see that it wasn't the FILTER wink
Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 13, 2014
chukel: Op, Ur problem is common with camry of 2003-2008. Believe me, it is not more than fuse or relay.

I'm willing to bet $100 that it was as simple as a really and the ECU was just a flimflam.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by sultaan(m): 6:46am On Sep 13, 2014
Mechanic don chop, don't get in the way of progress he need to do thanks giving this sunday say business dey prosper
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 9:41am On Sep 13, 2014
CityNG:

Do you have the original ECU?

As far as I know, the ECU does not control the HVAC system.

Someone please correct and educate me if so.

It's nice to see that it wasn't the FILTER wink

I have the original ecu. Ecu controls the ac. I have witnessed a situation where the ecu of 2010 corolla have issues and it was changed with the wrong ecu, the ecu wasn't functioning effectively. Cool breeze was only coming out from the drivers air vent where as nothing was coming out of the passengers side. But when the original ecu was replaced, the system was restored to normal. So ecu has a role to play.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Air Condition by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 13, 2014
camaro:

I have the original ecu. Ecu controls the ac. I have witnessed a situation where the ecu of 2010 corolla have issues and it was changed with the wrong ecu, the ecu wasn't functioning effectively. Cool breeze was only coming out from the drivers air vent where as nothing was coming out of the passengers side. But when the original ecu was replaced, the system was restored to normal. So ecu has a role to play.

Just to be sure, are we talking about the same ECU that controls the vehicle operations such as timing, fuel pressure, etc

I know that there could be more than one "ECU" in a car, especially a complicated car that has automated HVAC, electronics suspension etc

"Air-conditioning ECU

An automatic air-conditioner is a manual air-conditioner and heating system equipped with sensors which detect changes in ambient temperature, cabin temperature and solar radiation.

The electronic control unit evaluates the signals from the sensors to determine the operating conditions, and controls actuators to move dampers and valves that control the volume, temperature and direction of the air delivered by the system.

The climate control system can be operated in manual mode, where the operation is similar to a normal heater and air conditioner system. The driver determines where the air is delivered, the volume of air delivered and its temperature.

Or it can be operated in full automatic mode.

In full automatic mode the electronic control unit receives signals from sensors and controls the flaps and valves of the two systems, to create a blend of air that matches the temperature selected by the occupants.

The electronic control unit or ECU contains a micro-computer. It is constructed from printed circuitry and has a large number of electrical components and electronic devices. It is normally housed in a metal or plastic container. On some automatic climate control air-conditioning systems the control panel is part of the electronic control unit.

The electronic control unit receives signals in the form of voltages from the ambient air temperature sensor, the cabin air temperature sensor, the coolant temperature sensor, the evaporator temperature sensor, sun load sensor and the control panel.

The electronic control unit compares these voltage values with values stored in its memory. If a difference in values occurs the electronic control unit changes the position of actuators.

The actuators are electric solenoids and electric motors which control the position of doors and taps either directly, or by vacuum servos.

The electronic control unit also controls the speed of the interior ventilation fan. The speed of the fan is infinitely variable between a stopped condition and the fan's maximum speed.

Some actuators provide a feedback signal to the electronic control unit in the form of a voltage signal. This signal is used by the electronic control unit to determine what position the actuators are in, and whether or not they are moving."

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/hvac/heatAir/control/climatecontrol.html

So I am trying to learn. Was this the cars main ECU that you changed? And you didn't have to do any other programming for security, keys, etc to get this new ECU matched to your car?
Re: Thread For Air Condition by chukel(m): 11:06am On Sep 13, 2014
It can't be the car's main ECU. Most modern cars have ac ecu. I don't kn if dats wat Dy call the amplifier or so. Op Pls post d pic of the original ecu dat was replaced. We need to learn.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Air Condition by agog: 6:56pm On Oct 30, 2014
Good evening all. My car is Toyota Camry 2001 (envelope light). Last Saturday as i was driving out, i discovered that the AC which i always put at low button has stopped cooling. The medium button too is not working. But when i switch it to the highest, it started to cool. Meanwhile low and medium button are no longer working. pls any advice on how what could have caused this and how to resolve it.
thank you all in advance.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by camaro(m): 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
Please explain more, I dont actually understand what you meant by low and medium. Post pictures of the switch pointing at what you are trying to describe.
Re: Thread For Air Condition by princejones(m): 9:00am On Oct 31, 2014
I had a similar issue in my car,and the fan regular was change at the glove compartment area and the low and medium buttons starts working again.mine was 1500

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Can Get Engine Oil SAE 5W-30 ? / Need A Driver's Licence / Honda Accord Vs Toyota Camry, Which Would You Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.