Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria (2778 Views)

ERROR finding a girlfriend! / Help finding the 15/16 complement of a hex number(C++) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:15am On Sep 09, 2014

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by Matthewbriggs(m): 8:49am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by nollyj: 12:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
it's a Nigerian problem where we have a large pool of human resource but not in quality. So finding the right co founder with the requisite technical chops is a herculean task.

Major percentage of developers in Nigeria are self taught. Nothing bad with being a self taught but the problem is that it takes years and constant working in small / big projects and learning from more experience developers to become good.

There is limited environment in Nigeria for developers to grow that is why the trend is always read and finish a programming book or go for a 3 weeks crash course and thereafter you are a developer and you can start looking for a client to work with.

Remember IT trend is new in Nigeria. Most people started learning programming few years back, but in develop countries there are people who have had more than 30 years experience in software development.

We can only get quality developers when the software industry is matured in Nigeria and can absolved many fresh developer and in turn create a platform where they can work and grow their knowledge.

Most people in Nigeria are not developers by choice but a mean to stay out of poverty.

About technical co-founders

The mistake "idea / business" co-founders make is believing that it is about selling your idea to a technical guy. It is a part but not all. For you to get a quality developer in Nigeria, it means (in most situation) that the person involved is no longer a teen or under parental care. For full concentration and dedication on the project, the technical guy must have a way of footing his or her bills. Lack of money can kill moral and can easily make someone lose hope in what he or she believes in at the moment.

In Nigeria, it is always better for the idea / business guy to secure certain amount of money that will push the project far rather than thinking it will be 50 -50 share and no money on the table (it can only work in few situation).

Personal Experience
I worked with a start-up few years ago, to be sincere what motivated me is not the number of share I had but the fact that if I sit down I code for one full month I will still have money to pay my bills and have fun moment with my loved one (I get paid every month). I can't concentrate or program when I am very hungry irrespective of the amount shares I have.

This is why most collaboration is not working in Nigeria. I can't count the number of times I got this kind of messages.

"Hi, I have this killer idea but I can't program it. If you can do it we will share the equity but right now I am so so .. and I don't have any money."

To collaborate without money consider these in Nigeria

The tech cofounder will work on the project as a side project (Main job brings in the money)

The people involved are still under care so no expenses and free food at home.

I am entitled to personal opinion.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by Djtm(m): 9:59pm On Sep 17, 2014
The op and the guy above me both have valid points. Like the poster above me said, more partnerships will work out if the idea guys bring more money to the table.
nollyj:
. For you to get a quality developer in Nigeria, it means (in most situation) that the person involved is no longer a teen or under parental care.
I think that contradicts your point since someone under parental care is assumed to be financially "burden" free.
Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by Matthewbriggs(m): 12:16pm On Sep 19, 2014
Very well said @ nollyj .. We are both saying the same thing.
Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by skillforce: 3:36am On Sep 21, 2014
Most developers in Nigeria are pre-occupied with food on the table and other basic bill. Because of their limited knowledge about how the business world and markets work, your pitch is likely to be perceived as overwhelming risk with unimpressive prospect. In their little circle of influence they claim Sage with great pride without realising what is possible with their talent with applied and applied in a lucrative role/market. It's funny many of them will live and die poor, both employees and freelancers.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by codemarshal08(m): 8:45am On Sep 21, 2014
NOLLYJ HAS SAID IT ALL........valid points !

1 Like

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by kaboninc(m): 1:18pm On Oct 20, 2014
nollyj:

Major percentage of developers in Nigeria are self taught. Nothing bad with being a self taught but the problem is that it takes years and constant working in small / big projects and learning from more experience developers to become good.

There is limited environment in Nigeria for developers to grow that is why the trend is always read and finish a programming book or go for a 3 weeks crash course and thereafter you are a developer and you can start looking for a client to work with.

Remember IT trend is new in Nigeria. Most people started learning programming few years back, but in develop countries there are people who have had more than 30 years experience in software development.

We can only get quality developers when the software industry is matured in Nigeria and can absolved many fresh developer and in turn create a platform where they can work and grow their knowledge.

Most people in Nigeria are not developers by choice but a mean to stay out of poverty.

About technical co-founders

The mistake "idea / business" co-founders make is believing that it is about selling your idea to a technical guy. It is a part but not all. For you to get a quality developer in Nigeria, it means (in most situation) that the person involved is no longer a teen or under parental care. For full concentration and dedication on the project, the technical guy must have a way of footing his or her bills. Lack of money can kill moral and can easily make someone lose hope in what he or she believes in at the moment.

In Nigeria, it is always better for the idea / business guy to secure certain amount of money that will push the project far rather than thinking it will be 50 -50 share and no money on the table (it can only work in few situation).

Personal Experience
I worked with a start-up few years ago, to be sincere what motivated me is not the number of share I had but the fact that if I sit down I code for one full month I will still have money to pay my bills and have fun moment with my loved one (I get paid every month). I can't concentrate or program when I am very hungry irrespective of the amount shares I have.

This is why most collaboration is not working in Nigeria. I can't count the number of times I got this kind of messages.

"Hi, I have this killer idea but I can't program it. If you can do it we will share the equity but right now I am so so .. and I don't have any money."

To collaborate without money consider these in Nigeria

The tech cofounder will work on the project as a side project (Main job brings in the money)

The people involved are still under care so no expenses and free food at home.

I am entitled to personal opinion.

Hi Nollyj. Hi Matthewbriggs. Hi everyone.

Please forgive me for quoting your whole text (Nollyj). I actually happen to fall under this category of developers lacking 'resources'. In a couple of hours, on my own, I can take a huge step. How much more a day, a week and a month. I am looking for a platform, an avenue to showcase my skills. Analysis, logical reasoning and finding solution to complex complicated problems are my passion; programming (design and development of software) is just a means to an end. I see it as an art; for me, understanding the Requirements (Functional and Non-Functional) are the most important things to consider when developing a system.

I'll say am past a 'newbee'. As for the Technical Partners, its important to note that most people prefer to work on their own - so long as they can have control of what comes in. We do not have this 'partnership' culture or rather, we are still developing this 'partnership' culture in Nigeria. That's why you find that a team of talented software developers can perform exceedingly well, surpass their expectations when working under a 'closed' environment such as in a large corporation than when they work as a team in a company in which they are partners.

So house, am up for projects. I'll really appreciate it if am referred. I am more into Software Development (not Web Development for now) and using VB.Net, MySQL and Java.

Matthewbriggs, I sent you a pm. Would love to have a conversation with you.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:12pm On Oct 20, 2014
@kaboninc mail replied.
Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 12, 2014
I am lost though but intelligence can be smelly.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by abdul01(m): 12:28am On Dec 13, 2014
Nice topic.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Finding A Technical Co-founder In Nigeria by businessguide: 8:04pm On Apr 07, 2020
Visit www.copros to meet Co founders

(1) (Reply)

CSS And HTML Tutorial Via Whatsapp / How To Build A Simple Search Engine Using Html Css And Javascript / Cloud Computing : Implications for Javascript

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.