Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,919 members, 7,799,117 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? - Poems For Review (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? (2962 Views)

If I Become A Poet / I Am A Poet / I Am Not A Poet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
basille: I hardly pick a topic i want to write on, it comes to me like a trance or daydream then pen and paper follows.

This happens to me. Not the trance, but dreams for sure.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 1:11am On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

This happens to me. Not the trance, but dreams for sure.
Those are precious times you could have used for scientific research on ways to move humanity forward while wasting it on writing poems.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 1:21am On Sep 24, 2014
all4naija: Those are precious times you could have use for science research on ways to move humanity forward while wasting it on writing poems.

You don't think poetry has any value for society?
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 1:27am On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

You don't think poetry has any value for society?
Not the one that will impact humanity in the best way.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 1:28am On Sep 24, 2014
all4naija: Not the one that will impact humanity in the best way.

Hmmm
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 1:57am On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

Hmmm
cheesy grin cool
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 2:20am On Sep 24, 2014
all4naija: Not the one that will impact humanity in the best way.

There are some,like you, who think poetry is a useless endeavor. That is your opinion, and you have a right to it. Surely you will admit that words are powerful.

A real artist can take simple words and weave a balm of healing for those who are experiencing similar circumstances. They can change an apathetic nay sayer into a patriot. Words can start wars, profess love and bring about change.

For good or evil, words are likely the most powerful weapon in the world. If one knows how to wield that weapon, he can become the most powerful person in any given society.

Poetry moves people. It heals people. It can even destroy people. You can choose to ignore the power of poetry, but it is an integral part of our society. Whether you like it or not.

Poetry is all around us; in songs, in commercials, at political rallies, in our homes, in our schools, our churches, and throughout history. It is a force to be reckoned with. I'm sorry you don't get it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

There are some,like you, who think poetry is a useless endeavor. That is your opinion, and you have a right to it. Surely you will admit that words are powerful.

A real artist can take simple words and weave a balm of healing for those who are experiencing similar circumstances. They can change an apathetic nay sayer into a patriot. Words can start wars, profess love and bring about change.

For good or evil, words are likely the most powerful weapon in the world. If one knows how to wield that weapon, he can become the most powerful person in any given society.

Poetry moves people. It heals people. It can even destroy people. You can choose to ignore the power of poetry, but it is an integral part of our society. Whether you like it or not.

Poetry is all around us; in songs, in commercials, at political rallies, in our homes, in our schools, our churches, and throughout history. It is a force to be reckoned with. I'm sorry you don't get it.
It is still a waste of time and resources.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by basille(m): 3:49pm On Sep 24, 2014
all4naija: It is still a waste of time and resources.
Tell that to dante alighieri.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 5:54pm On Sep 24, 2014
all4naija: It is still a waste of time and resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wu7Ax78hXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQucWXWXp3k

@GSking
I couldn't resist this one. Wait for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIwZ1Dth0c

Poetry's Creed
by Tex

Poetry has a purpose. It can change minds. It can enlighten and teach. It can raise the "blinds".

Poetry is an enabler. It can encourage evil or good. It can create solders, or promote peace in your neighborhood.

Poetry is powerful. It can show us we are not alone. It can create emotions that penetrate to the bone.

Poetry may seem meaningless to you. Others would beg to disagree. For poetry is a balm to those who morn, and the battle cry of those who long to be free.

Poetry deserves some respect. It's been proven throughout history. It's brought peoples together to fight a common foe. It can keep us sane, and helped us to solve many a mystery.

So back off! Go your own way. If you don't like poetry, you're welcome to leave. No one has asked you to stay.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by OMA4U(m): 9:27pm On Sep 24, 2014
all4naija: Those are precious times you could have used for scientific research on ways to move humanity forward while wasting it on writing poems.
This shows that you have little or no knowledge of importance of literature in the society.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 24, 2014
OMA4U: This shows that you have little or no knowledge of importance of literature in the society.
It is not too relevant to the society as you are making it to look. People make it looks that way.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by GSKing: 9:37pm On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltun92DfnPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wu7Ax78hXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQucWXWXp3k

@GSking
I couldn't resist this one. Wait for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIwZ1Dth0c

Poetry's Creed
by Tex

Poetry has a purpose. It can change minds. It can enlighten and teach. It can raise the "blinds".

Poetry is an enabler. It can encourage evil or good. It can create solders, or promote peace in your neighborhood.

Poetry is powerful. It can show us we are not alone. It can create emotions that penetrate to the bone.

Poetry may seem meaningless to you. Others would beg to disagree. For poetry is a balm to those who morn, and the battle of those who long to be free.

Poetry deserves some respect. It's been proven throughout history. It's brought peoples together to fight a common foe. It can keep us sane, and helped us to solve many a mystery.

So back off! Go your own way. If you don't like poetry, you're welcome to leave. No one has asked you to stay.

sometimes, I wish I could compose anything, just anything at all. I don't know how you all do it but it's very lovely.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
OMA4U: This shows that you have little or no knowledge of importance of literature in the society.

The importance of poem(not literature)is of no use to intelligent minds in the society!
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by texanomaly(f): 1:20am On Sep 27, 2014
all4naija:
The importance of poem(not literature)is of no use to intelligent minds in the society!

You again? Shoo!
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by cegxie(m): 8:46am On Sep 28, 2014
The poet in me surfaced when I joined 2go poet room.. Reading the endless flow of rhyme and rythm got me writing.. Some were good others were bad some where just excellent. These days its more of inspiration about some many things.. Av long left the 2go arena but the poet in me lives on... I publish on forums like poemfinder, facebook.. I don't regret it.. Its one avenue for me to find myself and experience inner peace.

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by bovamm(f): 2:17pm On Oct 06, 2014
sometimes am inspired to write from situations, the holy spirit or when an idea just doesn't want to go away.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Inkman(m): 1:49am On Oct 09, 2014
Fatal charm
Alluring is her harm
Beckoning,
Pulling me to peril.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Inkman(m): 1:52am On Oct 09, 2014
cegxie:
The poet in me surfaced when I joined 2go poet room.. Reading the endless flow of rhyme and rythm got me writing.. Some were good others were bad some where just excellent. These days its more of inspiration about some many things.. Av long left the 2go arena but the poet in me lives on... I publish on forums like poemfinder, facebook.. I don't regret it.. Its one avenue for me to find myself and experience inner peace.

I'm an ardent user of that platform...
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by cegxie(m): 11:58am On Oct 10, 2014
Inkman:

I'm an ardent user of that platform...

Maybe our paths may have crossed one time or the other. I go by the nick blaq angel back then when ddkp, Spanish blade, presh and co held sway not forgetting the wild merman.. I miss those days
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Inkman(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2014
cegxie:

Maybe our paths may have crossed one time or the other. I go by the nick blaq angel back then when ddkp, Spanish blade, presh and co held sway not forgetting the wild merman.. I miss those days

Those names truly come from way back.. I never set eyes on blaq angel though... These days are not as bright as the past.. True talent seems to be on the wane. .
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by cegxie(m): 5:43pm On Oct 12, 2014
Inkman:

Those names truly come from way back.. I never set eyes on blaq angel though... These days are not as bright as the past.. True talent seems to be on the wane. .

Yea, true talent is really on the decline these days especially on that forum, but in all it was a good experience for me then.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by usmanspihn(m): 6:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
When I was younger, I get inspired well and when I write, they are deep. My pops once read it and analysed it for me. He gave it a meaning my thought never crossed while writing. He encourages me a lot. But when I gained admission into the university, I was blocked. Had no time for myself, infact, I wasn't inspired no more until I met this girl. As if she held the keys to inspiration, I started writing again though it was more on love. The was the best I never had. She refused to go out with me. And I think she locked it back while walking out. I wrote a handful though. Lemme try and put one here

Unlock the gate of your heart,
Let the stream of your love flow,
Let it flow into my arid land of love,
Washing me anew

Let it flow into my empty cup of love,
So I'll thirst no more,
Let heavy lumps of your love roll out,
Let them replenish the hollows in my being

Let them roll into my empty plate of love
So I'll hunger no more,
Let your tender breeze of love blow,
Let it aerate my inner being

Envelope me in the aura of your personality,
Take my whole being,
Cremate me alive in the furnace of your love,
Bury me in the deepest recess of your heart,
So I'll resurrect in every single cell of you.

But wait oh, if you be girl and I write this for you plus other packages, you no go gree?
She no gree oh and left me wandering and searching for wetin I no lost

1 Like

Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 22, 2014
I never want to write most times. While walking sometimes,an idea just pops into my head and I can't get it out until I write it down. Most times I write on the go.
Re: Are You A Poet? Why Do You Write? by noble4d(m): 6:46pm On Oct 22, 2014
Hmm! I'm surrounded with natural phenomena which gives me inspiration. I do write depending on my mood e.g when I'm happy, I look around, gazing at beautiful creatures that sweetened my heart. I write because I'm in the mood to write.

Noble cares wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Poem For My Father (MR Muritala Abdulkareem Babatunde) I Miss You / Lagos Traffic / What I Love About You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.