Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? (2615 Views)

Using Condom In Marriage:good Or Bad? / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? / Is Playing Hard To Get Good Or Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Funbii(m): 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
My younger ones wouldn't behave themselves, they won't stop pinching, squealing or shrieking unless I promise to give them money or buy them goodies... I make sure I "settle" them whenever we got visitor(s) so as to avoid embarrassment.

Last night one of them went to my mom to negotiate, like "if I get 100naira to make my bed, how much to set the table? What if I make my sister’s bed, do I get 200naira? Fine, u can take away 100naira for not brushing my teeth...."... seriously? I was astound

Most parents and child care providers have resorted to bribery, at least on occasion, to secure good behavior from a child. That's when an adult says, "If you behave in class and don't cause any disruption, then I'll take you for an ice cream afterward." So, is there anything wrong with bribing a child to secure good behavior?
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by spanzed(m): 1:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
Funbii: My younger ones wouldn't behave themselves, they won't stop pinching, squealing or shrieking unless I promise to give them money or buy them goodies... I make sure I "settle" them whenever we got visitor(s) so as to avoid embarrassment.

Last night one of them went to my mom to negotiate, like "if I get 100naira to make my bed, how much to set the table? What if I make my sister’s bed, do I get 200naira? Fine, u can take away 100naira for not brushing my teeth...."... seriously? I was astound

Most parents and child care providers have resorted to bribery, at least on occasion, to secure good behavior from a child. That's when an adult says, "If you behave in class and don't cause any disruption, then I'll take you for an ice cream afterward." So, is there anything wrong with bribing a child to secure good behavior?
There surely is,children are meant to be respectful at all times why must dey be bribed before they can respect their elders such children need KOBOKO

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by lomaxx: 1:52pm On Sep 09, 2014
Don't use the word "bribe". It's should be reward for good behavior. The downside of this is that children exploit the scenario and use it to their advantage thus setting the price for what they should do. Thus you hear things like "if I make my bed I'm getting N100" " if I do my homework I'm getting N50".

I prefer reverse reward- if you don't do what you're supposed to do, you're denied some usual benefits. Also, positive reinforcement of good behavior by reward is acceptable.

Ultimately, I prefer that children are shown continuously how engaging in good and responsible behavior is to his/her own benefit- and not doing the parents a favour so that demands can be made.

Finally, When the "rewardee" now has to transact with the rewarder before he/she engages in any action that is his/her responsibility ...hell to the no! I won't accept that.

2 Likes

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by mirajune: 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
No long talk. Just BAD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by ChynoBEATS: 12:53pm On Sep 13, 2014
We 2me it's fair..cuz that's the same way you treat dog's if u wnt them 2be well behaved..... Being the fact that they're kids I.m.o One should reward them for pulling off good behaviours ....buh4d fact that you're rewarding them hugely..2me it's bad.. Cos if they get very Used 2it It'll be hard 2put Out... I'll. Kindly advice u to reduce the amount gradually .. Cuz giving out 100's... 2som1 4 doing somtin lil .... Omo E bad. O... Wetin. Happen to 50's or rewards after a week?... Cuz that errytime ish .. Iz quite absurd ..
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by EfemenaXY: 4:44pm On Sep 13, 2014
@OP: If 'bribery' becomes the norm - to even get the kids perform the basics, then you know there is a problem. A responsible parent should know when to say 'NO' and stick with it.

Children also need to understand actions and consequences. i.e: if you do this...then this/that will happen.

A parent must be the one guiding the child and not the other way round. The occasional treat / indulging the child is okay - as long as it doesn't become a habit.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Xionez(m): 9:07am On Feb 10, 2015
Tshchewww. Little rascals

How much does a good flexible koboko cost?. Less than N100. If you want dual head, like N200 or so.

Just buy it and place it on your shoulders.....Problem Solved!!!
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 11:51am On Feb 10, 2015
Funbii:
My younger ones wouldn't behave themselves, they won't stop pinching, squealing or shrieking unless I promise to give them money or buy them goodies... I make sure I "settle" them whenever we got visitor(s) so as to avoid embarrassment.

I will never advocate bribery for kids they'll never develop a healthy sense of self if the only thing they know is that what they do must be rewarded. I will teach my children to do things for their own benefit and the benefit of others before seeking a reward.

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
Paying kids to do chores? Makes no sense to me.
How do you instill a sense of responsibility in them if you 'bribe' them to do what they are suppose to do?

Oyinbo style of parenting eh?
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 1:43pm On Feb 10, 2015
Joavid:
Paying kids to do chores? Makes no sense to me.
How do you instill a sense of responsibility in them if you 'bribe' them to do what they are suppose to do?

Oyinbo style of parenting eh?

it's very effective!
try it and the results will shock you. i disagree with the OP calling it a bribe. when you pay people to do what they should be doing, it's not bribe, it's motivation, reward or bonus. it's only when you pay people to do what they shouldn't be doing that you can use the word bribery e.g. paying exam officers to get expos.

kids are not stüpid!
set them a week's task. tell them what to expect if they complete their task that week and the reward would motivate them to complete your task. they won't forget the task or find the task boring unlike when you just order them around without a promise to reward them.

this is the 21st century - kids have rights too.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 10, 2015
What does it teach them?

That bad behavior is ok as long as there is no reward.

Discipline bad behavior, reinforce good behavior. No bribes.

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
coogar:

it's very effective!
try it and the results will shock you. i disagree with the OP calling it a bribe. when you pay people to do what they should be doing, it's not bribe, it's motivation, reward or bonus. it's only when you pay people to do what they shouldn't be doing that you can use the word bribery e.g. paying exam officers to get expos.

kids are not stüpid!
set them a week's task. tell them what to expect if they complete their task that week and the reward would motivate them to complete your task. they won't forget the task or find the task boring unlike when you just order them around without a promise to reward them.

this is the 21st century - kids have rights too.

How long do you intend to keep rewarding them?
And when you stop, will they remain eager to continue doing their chores?

Taking the kids out for a treat occasionally or buying them gifts for being hard-working and good kids (at home and in school) are better ways of rewarding them.

If you are not old enough for pocket money and it's not your birthday, am not giving you a dime.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 2:46pm On Feb 10, 2015
Joavid:

How long do you intend to keep rewarding them? And when you stop, will they remain eager to continue doing their chores?

for as long as you want them to do those chores. we are not talking about N100,000 here. we are talking about token. money for yoghurt, ice cream or whatever flavour of the month interests them.

Taking the kids out for a treat occasionally or buying them gifts for being hard-working and good kids (at home and in school) are better ways of rewarding them.

the kids need to know why you are rewarding them. similarly, they need to know why they are being punished. it goes both ways. tell them what is expected of them & what the reward would be if they do as they are told, you would soon realise kids aren't as clueless as we thought of them - they know what to do.

If you are not old enough for pocket money and it's not your birthday, am not giving you a dime.

it doesn't have to be cash......
just find something to reward them with. it could be snacks or toys or video games. they all count. you will find out you won't even need to remind them to do the chores.

a boy that wants to play video games on friday evening knows there's a task to complete before he can play - and you think he wouldn't do that task to get his game? grin cheesy

this mother does it to her kids and this is how he rewards them......tasks & rewards.

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by nurey(m): 3:08pm On Feb 10, 2015
I normally pick my niece from school and when she sees me, she just start crying and all the teachers would be looking at me as if I am one pervert it always pain me but after 10mins she stop crying and I bribe her with playing with my Tab. I am a sweet carrying adult so inorder not to sleep I always have one form of sweet lying around in the car as time went on she adjusted to sweet bribe so now everytime she sees me, she runs and hugs me infact all children in class will start hugging me after hugging and I don't want her to cry I have to follow this her order I WANT TO BUY if you don't follow that nah cry will make you deaf. She has never bought anything worth more than #50 everyday so sometimes when I am late or early warranty us not to wait in school I don't bribe. I know as time goes on she will out grow the brib
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by mutter(f): 3:15pm On Feb 10, 2015
My kid`s get their fixed pocket money every month. This is very important for me because children need to learn how to handle money and save.
Pocket money starts when you enter primary school and increases gradually.
starting from 10 € in primary one then 20€ as from 5th class 30€ and so it goes on to a maximal of 150€ a month.
The pocket money is their "salary".
If you mess up you might end up with a reduction or a month without pay grin
They know that I am on the look out on any way to save money so can`t wait for you to mess up grin. If you loose your school materials, you have to replace them from your pocket money.

Children need to be motivated. much more important is with praise and kind words.
My children just love to bring home good notes because I "perform" for them. Carry them in the air sing dance, shower them with praises .
That makes them so happy.
However what makes a good note depends on the child.
I have a child who had slight learning disabilities. One day he got a pass in the fourth class, I was so excited praising him, a mother was so curious asked me what he got. When I told her a four she looked at me baffled and said her son made a 2. I told her my son`s was much better than the two because he worked so had for it. He really did! We had to spend hours learning the first 4 years of school. He found simple things difficult.
So too it is with behavior. Each child is different and we have to make room for their short comings.

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2015
mutter:
My kid`s get their fixed pocket money every month. This is very important for me because children need to learn how to handle money and save.
Pocket money starts when you enter primary school and increases gradually.
starting from 10 € in primary one then 20€ as from 5th class 30€ and so it goes on to a maximal of 150€ a month.
The pocket money is their "salary".
If you mess up you might end up with a reduction or a month without pay grin
They know that I am on the look out on any way to save money so can`t wait for you to mess up grin. If you loose your school materials, you have to replace them from your pocket money.

Children need to be motivated. much more important is with praise and kind words.
My children just love to bring home good notes because I "perform" for them. Carry them in the air sing dance, shower them with praises .
That makes them so happy.
However what makes a good note depends on the child.
I have a child who had slight learning disabilities. One day he got a pass in the fourth class, I was so excited praising him, a mother was so curious asked me what he got. When I told her a four she looked at me baffled and said her son made a 2. I told her my son`s was much better than the two because he worked so had for it. He really did! We had to spend hours learning the first 4 years of school. He found simple things difficult.
So too it is with behavior. Each child is different and we have to make room for their short comings.

very insightful! cool
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by KanwuliaJara: 4:20pm On Feb 10, 2015
Not a good idea. cry
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2015
coogar:

for as long as you want them to do those chores. we are not talking about N100,000 here. we are talking about token. money for yoghurt, ice cream or whatever flavour of the month interests them.

the kids need to know why you are rewarding them. similarly, they need to know why they are being punished. it goes both ways. tell them what is expected of them & what the reward would be if they do as they are told, you would soon realise kids aren't as clueless as we thought of them - they know what to do.

just find something to reward them with. it could be snacks or toys or video games. they all count. you will find out you won't even need to remind them to do the chores.

a boy that wants to play video games on friday evening knows there's a task to complete before he can play - and you think he wouldn't do that task to get his game? grin cheesy

this mother does it to her kids and this is how he rewards them......tasks & rewards.

With this how do you teach that certain tasks are their own reward? I suppose you keep your home clean does anybody reward you for it? If kids are brought up expecting some kind of favour for tasks that in the real world nobody but the individual involved gives a rat's arsé what do you expect will happen when they are older and mummy and daddy can no longer offer them any reasonable incentive?
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 5:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
LordReed:

With this how do you teach that certain tasks are their own reward? I suppose you keep your home clean does anybody reward you for it? If kids are brought up expecting some kind of favour for tasks that in the real world nobody but the individual involved gives a rat's arsé what do you expect will happen when they are older and mummy and daddy can no longer offer them any reasonable incentive?

this only teaches them how to be responsible. it's called "catching the good behaviour" and rewarding them for it. parents only ever focus on bad behaviour of their kids, they rarely talk about their good behaviour - this system is a way of setting your kids to succeed & it also teaches them that in life, you earn exactly what you work for. nothing is given freely on a platter of gold.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
coogar:

for as long as you want them to do those chores.
These are their chores. Things they do daily,weekly or on weekends.

They know the chores they are suppose to do and they should do it. It's a duty, a responsibility.(That's how you teach kids to be responsible - to the society, no one gets paid for being responsible)

They would get a reward from time to time if they have been doing well at home and at school - all round.
And they'll get a punishment too if they misbehave after several warnings.

a boy that wants to play video games on friday evening knows there's a task to complete before he can play - and you think he wouldn't do that task to get his game?
If he keeps playing video games without doing his chores, after several warnings i'll take the video games away, now that will make him do his chores, when he's through, he gets it back.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 10, 2015
LordReed:

I agree. A task that benefits your child is a skill/behavior that will in time prove itself worthy.

I am in agreement that rewarding good behavior should be tangible (at times) but why the need to attach significance always? I think it's fair that a child be able to challenge a parent who may be being unfair (it's so so important for a child to feels itself to be heard); I'd encourage that. But rewarding what I feel is for their own benefit, nah, not all the time. Plenty of hugs and kisses regardless,.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2015
Flytefalls:

I agree. A task that benefits your child is a skill/behavior that will in time prove itself worthy.

I am in agreement that rewarding good behavior should be tangible (at times) but why the need to attach significance always? I think it's fair that a child be able to challenge a parent who may be being unfair (it's so so important for a child to feels itself to be heard); I'd encourage that. But rewarding what I feel is for their own benefit, nah, not all the time. Plenty of hugs and kisses regardless,.

That's the secret: intermittent rewards.

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:24pm On Feb 10, 2015
Funbii:

Little Mafians you've got there.

You are doing a fantastic job of teaching them how to be extortionists.

Next they'll start demanding 'protection money' like grand-uncle Al Capone.

Right now, I think your younger ones need to be rewarded more often with a koboko, than anything else.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
nurey:
I normally pick my niece from school and when she sees me, she just start crying and all the teachers would be looking at me as if I am one pervert it always pain me but after 10mins she stop crying and I bribe her with playing with my Tab. I am a sweet carrying adult so inorder not to sleep I always have one form of sweet lying around in the car as time went on she adjusted to sweet bribe so now everytime she sees me, she runs and hugs me infact all children in class will start hugging me after hugging and I don't want her to cry I have to follow this her order I WANT TO BUY if you don't follow that nah cry will make you deaf. She has never bought anything worth more than #50 everyday so sometimes when I am late or early warranty us not to wait in school I don't bribe. I know as time goes on she will out grow the brib

What gets rewarded gets done.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 10:22pm On Feb 10, 2015
coogar:

this only teaches them how to be responsible. it's called "catching the good behaviour" and rewarding them for it. parents only ever focus on bad behaviour of their kids, they rarely talk about their good behaviour - this system is a way of setting your kids to succeed & it also teaches them that in life, you earn exactly what you work for. nothing is given freely on a platter of gold.

For tasks like making your bed, doing your homework, etc that have a direct benefit to the child I don't think that it applies. I think teaching children to succeed at their tasks simply for their own satisfaction should be more emphasized than making them think everything they do will have a reward.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 10:29pm On Feb 10, 2015
Flytefalls:

I am not against rewarding good behaviour on the contrary I think good behaviour should be applauded and other forms of positive reinforcement brought to bear but I draw the lie at enticing kids to perform tasks they should do anyway. A kid makes his bed, beam with smiles and pat him/her on the back, dont for heaven sake promise him/her money or any other "tangibles" for it.

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 10:33pm On Feb 10, 2015
LordReed:

For tasks like making your bed, doing your homework, etc that have a direct benefit to the child I don't think that it applies. I think teaching children to succeed at their tasks simply for their own satisfaction should be more emphasized than making them think everything they do will have a reward.

it does....
kids are ready to sleep on their beds whether made or unmade. it's not a benefit to them if it's made. what gets rewarded gets done!

anytime i visit my nephews, their parents marvel at the way their kids listen to me 100% of the time. i simply reward their good behaviour. something their parents consider spoiling

kids aren't stüpid.
they are very wise. the moment you attach a reward to their task, you suddenly see activities - who no like better thing? grin even the youngest of them is flexing his muscle he wants to participate too.

Joavid:

These are their chores. Things they do daily,weekly or on weekends.

without the reward, you find out that you have to physically drag them to do it. they might do it but it's half-hearted. most often; you have to go back and complete it yourself.

They know the chores they are suppose to do and they should do it. It's a duty, a responsibility.(That's how you teach kids to be responsible - to the society, no one gets paid for being responsible)
They would get a reward from time to time if they have been doing well at home and at school - all round.
And they'll get a punishment too if they misbehave after several warnings.

tell us why workers get bonus pay after collecting their salary. is it not to reward their good jobs? investment bankers get more bonus than their normal salaries - why is that happening?

i have weighed the 2 options. i don't even have to remind them when there's a reward. when there's no reward....they will moan & moan and offer all sorts of excuses to drag themselves to do it. who has such time to be chasing kids around?

If he keeps playing video games without doing his chores, after several warnings i'll take the video games away, now that will make him do his chores, when he's through, he gets it back.

the chores before the games.
i always tell them - business before pleasure. do house chores, school homework then you can play video games as much as you want. the more impressed i am with their work, the more reward they get.

trust me, it works like magic!
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2015
coogar:

it does....
kids are ready to sleep on their beds whether made or unmade. it's not a benefit to them if it's made. what gets rewarded gets done!

anytime i visit my nephews, their parents marvel at the way their kids listen to me 100% of the time. i simply reward their good behaviour. something their parents consider spoiling

kids aren't stüpid.
they are very wise. the moment you attach a reward to their task, you suddenly see activities - who no like better thing? grin even the youngest of them is flexing his muscle he wants to participate too.

It might be because you are the doting uncle. It's a whole different ball game when you have to talk to your own kids and the only thing they want to hear is what reward is in it for them.

1 Like

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 10:46pm On Feb 10, 2015
LordReed:

It might be because you are the doting uncle. It's a whole different ball game when you have to talk to your own kids and the only thing they want to hear is what reward is in it for them.

they get the job done when i am around.
that should be the main focus......as long as the job is done.....the end will always justify the means.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Ewuro4: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2015
That's how we roll. If it's affordable why not. undecided
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 6:46am On Feb 11, 2015
coogar:

they get the job done when i am around.
that should be the main focus......as long as the job is done.....the end will always justify the means.

Okay I am sure you've imagined having to live with kids 24-7 365 and the scenario is like this

Coogar: pick up your toys and put them away.
Coogar jr: how much are you gonna give me Dad?

Coogar: fold your clothes and put them away.
Coogaress jr: going rate is 10p per dress dad

Really? You'd do this day in day out?

Do you believe such kids will be able to function properly in the real world were nobody gives are damn if you get your personal tasks done or not? And what of when they are out of your reach/sight? What motivation will they have for continued good behaviour without dad there to give them some £?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

She Used Her Friend’s Teenage Son As Her intimacy gadget! / Fathers,how Do You Feel When Your Daughters Hide From You To Dress Up. / If You Were Born Between 1980-1996..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.