Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! (35791 Views)

Nigerian Railway Corporation Job Vacancies / Immigration Recruitment 2013 Has Been Advertised / Highly Skilled Nigeria Jobs Not Advertised Locally. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by brainzdh(m): 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2014
Graduate who held up sign advertising himself at Waterloo Station starts work after he's handed dream job by passing commuter

*Alfred Ajani applied for more than 300 jobs after graduating in marketing
*He tried different approach after growing sick of the crowded labour market
*22-year-old handed out CVs to city workers passing through busy station
*The result has seen him flooded with offers by impressed executives
*This week, he started work in a marketing position at a recruitment firm

A graduate who held up a sign advertising his skills to commuters at Waterloo Station has landed his perfect position after his direct approach to job hunting paid off.
Alfred Ajani, 22, feared he was getting nowhere after unsuccessfully applying for more than 300 jobs following his graduation in May.
He got up early to intercept passing city workers at the busy London station last month, holding a sign saying: 'Marketing Graduate - Please ask for a CV'.
His approach was well received by passing executives and one director who saw him has now signed him up.

Determined job-hunter Alfred Ajani (centre) started work for recruitment firm, the Asoria Group, this week after one of the firm's directors walked past him as he handed out CVs in Waterloo Station last month

Alfred stood on the busy station concourse with a sign advertising his skills after failing to find a graduate position despite applying for 300 roles

Alfred, from south London, started in a marketing role at recruitment agency the Asoria Group yesterday and now works just yards from the spot where he once stood looking for a job.
He said: 'The director walked past me when he saw me that morning, but later got in contact through [the website] Linked In.
'The company said they were looking for someone with out of the box ideas and so they were keen to get me in.'

In recognition of the fame his stunt brought him, Alfred's new colleagues made special T-shirts with his photo on them to welcome him on his first day.
He added: 'The job is one I wouldn't have got if I hadn't gone to the station that morning, so I advise anyone out there who is in the same position I was to think of more direct ways to speak to employers.'

After his story was reported by MailOnline, his new colleagues printed T-shirts to welcome him on his first day

Thousands of commuters pass through Waterloo Station every day on their way to jobs in the City of London

Statistics show that almost half of recent graduates are now in 'non-graduate' or 'stepping stone' roles, such as bar-tending, and are struggling to get the positions they had hoped for.

Alfred had always wanted to work in advertising, but after three years studying for his degree in the subject, was losing hope of ever joining the industry.
In a last-ditch attempt to speak to potential employers, he went to Waterloo Station with an armful of CVs and was later inundated with offers.
After months spent struggling to get an interview, he suddenly had a flood of offers and found himself able to choose his career path.
He said: 'I knew this was somewhere I wanted to come and am really looking forward to the opportunity.'

Last Bullet
“When you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.” –Unknown

Credits : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2749042/Graduate-held-sign-advertising-Waterloo-Station-starts-work-s-handed-dream-job-passing-commuter.html

73 Likes 16 Shares

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by dreamchazer: 4:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
Wow! Front page material

2 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by piica(m): 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2014
Good one there, the only black guy there,but they seem to love him .congrat bro, #idea paid off#

10 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by neuljosh(m): 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
The Guy studied marketing. All he did was market himself for a marketing Job. Impressive if you ask me

82 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by safarigirl(f): 4:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
brainzdh: Graduate who held up sign advertising himself at Waterloo Station starts work after he's handed dream job by passing commuter
*Alfred Ajani applied for more than 300 jobs after graduating in marketing
*He tried different approach after growing sick of the crowded labour market
*22-year-old handed out CVs to city workers passing through busy station
*The result has seen him flooded with offers by impressed executives
*This week, he started work in a marketing position at a recruitment firm
A graduate who held up a sign advertising his skills to commuters at Waterloo Station has landed his perfect position after his direct approach to job hunting paid off.
Alfred Ajani, 22, feared he was getting nowhere after unsuccessfully applying for more than 300 jobs following his graduation in May.
He got up early to intercept passing city workers at the busy London station last month, holding a sign saying: 'Marketing Graduate - Please ask for a CV'.
His approach was well received by passing executives and one director who saw him has now signed him up.

Determined job-hunter Alfred Ajani (centre) started work for recruitment firm, the Asoria Group, this week after one of the firm's directors walked past him as he handed out CVs in Waterloo Station last month

Alfred stood on the busy station concourse with a sign advertising his skills after failing to find a graduate position despite applying for 300 roles
Alfred, from south London, started in a marketing role at recruitment agency the Asoria Group yesterday and now works just yards from the spot where he once stood looking for a job.
He said: 'The director walked past me when he saw me that morning, but later got in contact through [the website] Linked In.
'The company said they were looking for someone with out of the box ideas and so they were keen to get me in.'
In recognition of the fame his stunt brought him, Alfred's new colleagues made special T-shirts with his photo on them to welcome him on his first day.
He added: 'The job is one I wouldn't have got if I hadn't gone to the station that morning, so I advise anyone out there who is in the same position I was to think of more direct ways to speak to employers.'

After his story was reported by MailOnline, his new colleagues printed T-shirts to welcome him on his first day

Thousands of commuters pass through Waterloo Station every day on their way to jobs in the City of London
Statistics show that almost half of recent graduates are now in 'non-graduate' or 'stepping stone' roles, such as bar-tending, and are struggling to get the positions they had hoped for.
Alfred had always wanted to work in advertising, but after three years studying for his degree in the subject, was losing hope of ever joining the industry.
In a last-ditch attempt to speak to potential employers, he went to Waterloo Station with an armful of CVs and was later inundated with offers.
After months spent struggling to get an interview, he suddenly had a flood of offers and found himself able to choose his career path.
He said: 'I knew this was somewhere I wanted to come and am really looking forward to the opportunity.'
Last Bullet
“When you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.” –Unknown
Credits : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2749042/Graduate-held-sign-advertising-Waterloo-Station-starts-work-s-handed-dream-job-passing-commuter.html
1) last I checked, Ajani is a Yoruba name, not so? How come he's suddenly from South London?

Since Britain is now eager to claim this one, why dem been no claim Michael Adebolajo? I'm sure he lived not too far from Ajani.

If say this boy thief now, dem for say "...originally from Nigeria" or "...whose parents/grandparents are of Nigerian heritage"

SMH UK

112 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by chux4liv(m): 4:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
Huh will try that at Obalende or Falomo(Who knows Dangote fit employ me) undecided

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
God do my own for me too o.

6 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by OCTAVO: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2014

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
AWESOME
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Richhommie(m): 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Desperado
Fp tinz
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Sunkyphil(m): 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
it can only happen there,if u try am for naija,u go tey for housE grin

1 Like

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Fp tinz
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by richardgtc: 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Congrat man. Today na today front page tins.am sure is becos my husband birthday na tomorow
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by dapsoneh: 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Congrats!
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
Good for him
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by dridowu: 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
congrat to the young lad
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by CharlieMaria(m): 4:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
Where I keep my C.V? Make I go find am begin go seaport

3 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by ckhelvin: 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
If u try that one for my country Nigeria ehn..na suffer wey no get rival u dey..u go too dey their so tey nah beggars go they come check mayb dem fit help yhu..so op it's not applicable to my country Nigeria..sorry

1 Like

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by kennykool4u: 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
na lie.... na ur believe go work for u

Sunkyphil: it can only happen there,if u try am for naija,u go tey for housE grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by ajahexcel(m): 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
good, he worked it out.
If you don't have a door where should knock, step out there and build a door
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR NIGERIAN STUDENTS
http://.com/category/scholarships/undergraduate-scholarships/
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
Pls where are the railway stations in nigeria
They no dey kuku work #mtcheew#. Na to go paste am for Peace Mass park or ABC or even Young Shall Grow (thinking of the most viable one) sure pass. undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Slyr0x: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
chux4liv: Huh will try that at Obalende or Falomo(Who knows Dangote fit employ me) undecided

49 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Pa22(m): 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
hmmm! really outta the box tactic. Congrats!
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by mencade5(m): 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
...is typing a message.

Please hold on.
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by smaleeq: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
black man tinz
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by saxwizard(m): 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
congrats

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
That is determination ,well done cool
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by mistudreh(m): 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
God will surely make a way where there seems to be no way.
Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
Na wa ohhh.. I got a Job after asking "Frank Donga" for Advises before interviews..

5 Likes

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by kunlesehan(m): 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
I concur!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Graduate That Advertised His CV At The Railway Station Finally Gets A JOB!! by emeviks: 4:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
When you truly desire the unachievable, you have to step out of your comfort zone (Fear of rejection, low self-esteem, actual life purpose,etc.) To get It!
Kudos Alfred, I hope many of our unemployed youths out there would likely use same strategy. smiley

Nice one ,Poster.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When The Employer Wants You To Be 25years With 9years Experience / Breaking News:Reps Remove Age Limit On Employment / Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.