Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,914 members, 7,802,975 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Ekiti People - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ekiti People (52486 Views)

Ekiti People - The Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti People by tsure2: 12:58am On Sep 23, 2014
akejujoe: I'm from Okesokun,Odo Ise. Where in Ise are u from?
Ofigba
Re: Ekiti People by comffy(f): 10:17pm On Nov 28, 2014
gede7744:

l beg which side are u from in ilupeju

Oke Ola street.
Re: Ekiti People by scholes0(m): 5:42am On Nov 29, 2014
For those saying Ekiti is the least developed state in the SW, have you all also forgotten, that it is by a long shot, the youngest of all the states in the SW?
just the same way Ebonyi is the least developed in the SE.

Al those saying that from other parts of South West should b ashamed of themselves, because truth be told, apart from state capitals and major cities, there isn't really any much difference between Nigerian towns and villages. All are more or less on the same levels of development.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti People by gede7744(f): 6:03am On Nov 29, 2014
comffy:

Oke Ola street.

am from aita
Re: Ekiti People by macof(m): 10:26am On Nov 29, 2014
scholes0:
For those saying Ekiti is the least developed state in the SW, have you all also forgotten, that it is by a long shot, the youngest of all the states in the SW?
just the same way Ebonyi is the least developed in the SE.

Al those saying that from other parts of South West should b ashamed of themselves, because truth be told, apart from state capitals and major cities, there isn't really any much difference between Nigerian towns and villages. All are more or less on the same levels of development.

Very correct

3 Likes

Re: Ekiti People by toyinakomolafe(m): 7:50am On May 16, 2015
You have been there once, are sure you still know road? I rep Ikere Ekiti from Ugele . Shade Adu, Chief Wole Olanipekun, Micho Ade Niyi Osundare etc are from there. Ikere oloke meji takotabo courtesy, Olosunta and Orole hills [color=#000099][/color]
dyabman:
Good article there , I never searched for such perhaps I don't feel like it , but it's good thing reading something about my state of origin .

I'm from ikere here, agbole-atiba , been there once when I was 5 pretty long time.. Me no road go house ooo lol..

Make someone give me iyan ati egusi pelu apolopo #ponmo.
Re: Ekiti People by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 16, 2015
This thread reminds me of Ekiti Igbomina Parapo. The group was formed to counter the aggressions from the Ibadan warriors and the Nupes.

That is why in a state like Kwara where you have the two subethnic groups fast becoming one. Example: Senator Simeon Ajibola - PDP Governorship candidate in the state.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti People by macof(m): 1:16pm On May 16, 2015
walexy30:
This thread reminds me of Ekiti Igbomina Parapo. The group was formed to counter the aggressions from the Ibadan warriors and the Nupes.

That is why in a state like Kwara where you have the two subethnic groups fast becoming one. Example: Senator Simeon Ajibola - PDP Governorship candidate in the state.

yeah! Ekiti did collaborate with her neighbors a lot.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti People by dyabman(m): 11:38pm On May 16, 2015
toyinakomolafe:
You have been there once, are sure you still know road? I rep Ikere Ekiti from Ugele . Shade Adu, Chief Wole Olanipekun, Micho Ade Niyi Osundare etc are from there. Ikere oloke meji takotabo courtesy, Olosunta and Orole hills [color=#000099][/color]

I don know road already. grin . thanks. wink
Re: Ekiti People by Mapletraks: 12:51am On Jun 21, 2015
macof:
I just felt I should compile this for my beloved Ekiti people.

The Ekiti people are aboriginal, culturally homogeneous and highly intellectual agriculturalist Yoruboid-speaking people that forms a sub-group of the larger Yoruba ethnic group of West Africa, particularly in Nigeria and some part of Benin. Ekiti people who are well-known for their diverse and quality of traditional arts, music, poetry and witty sayings are reside predominantly in the Ekiti State in Western Nigeria. The Ekiti constitutes one of the largest Yoruba sub-group in Nigeria with the 2006 population census by the National Population Commission putting the population of Ekiti State at 2,384,212 people.

Ekiti State lies south of Kwara and Kogi State, East of Osun State and bounded by Ondo State in the East and in the south. It was declared a state on October 1, 1996 alongside five others by the military under the dictatorship of General Sani Abacha. The state, carved out of the territory of old Ondo State, covers the former twelve local government areas that made up the Ekiti Zone of old Ondo State. On creation, it took off with sixteen (16) Local Government Areas (LGAs), having had an additional four carved out of the old ones. Ekiti State is one of the thirty-six states that constitute Nigeria. The capital of Ekiti State is Ado-Ekiti.

There are not less than 120 towns in Ekiti state. One important aspect of the Ekiti towns is the common suffix "Ekiti" attached to their names eg. Ido-Ekiti, Ado-Ekiti, Oye-Ekiti.

Historically Ekiti people like the larger Yoruba are aborigine to the region, until absorbed by the invaders from the East. The term Ekiti denotes a "Mound", and is derived from the rugged mountainous feature of the country. It is an extensive province and well watered, having several tribes and clans right on to the border of the Niger, eastward. They hold themselves quite distinct from the Ijesas, especially in political affairs but have always had a strong brotherhood consciousness.

Ekiti themselves never saw each other as one nation until the Ekiti parapo(Ekiti confederacy) agreement of 1877 in order to raise a strong army against Ibadan.
The 16 foremost Ekiti Obas also went into agreements with Ijesa as Ogedengbe of Ilesa led the Ekiti parapo army

It is believed that the ancestors of Ekiti people who came to combine with the aboriginal people on the land migrated from Ile Ife, the spiritual home of the Yoruba people. According to oral and contemporary written sources of Yoruba history, Oduduwa, the ancestor of the Yoruba traveled to Ife [Ife Ooyelagbo] where he met people who were already settled there. Among the elders he met in the town were Agbonniregun,Obatala, Orelure, Obameri, Elesije, Obamirin, Obalejugbe just to mention a few. It is known that descendants of Agbonniregun [Baba Ifa] settled in Ekiti, examples being the Alara and Ajero who are sons of Ifa from the same mother. Orunmila himself spent a greater part of his life at Ado before going back to Ife to become Oba of Oketase, Ife. Due to this, we have the saying ‘Ado ni ile Ifa’ [Ado is the home of Ifa].

The early Ekiti country is divided into 16 districts (and it has been maintained to this day), each with its own Owa or King (Owa being a generic term amongst them) some of which are Owore of Otun,The Ajero of Ijero, Alara of Aramoko, Alaye of Efon-Alaye, Ewi of Ado, Elekole of Ikole, Olojudo of Ido, Oloye of Oye, Arinjale of Ise(and 7 others i dont know). these 16 Owas controlled other small towns that paid homage to them, Ewi and Owore are said to have had the largest territories.

The Ekiti are very intelligent and have a deep love of home- there has been no large scale migration of Ekiti peoples to neighbouring countries, but Ekitis are in other parts of Yorubaland mostly in Ondo, Oshun and Kwara states. Respect for age and superiors, ingrained politeness is part and parcel of their nature. Ekiti land is reputed to have produced the highest number of professors in Nigeria.It is rather by heritage than by accident that the motto of the present Ekiti state is “Fountain of Knowledge,” since Agbonniregun whose descendants are all over Ekitiland is praised as Akeke-f'inu s'ogbon [the small man with a mind full of wisdom, which could be the source of the popular "Ekiti kete" slogan
Several pioneers academics are from the state. Pioneers like Profs Adegoke Olubummo (One of the 1st Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics), Adeyinka Adeyemi (1st Professor of Architecture in West Africa). Others include renowned academics like Profs J.F. Ade-Ajayi, Niyi Osundare, Sam Aluko and others too many to mention

The main staple food of the people of Ekiti is pounded yam with Isapa soup or vegetable soup. NATURAL RESOURCES Ekiti land is naturally endowed with numerous natural resources. The state is potentially rich in mineral deposits. These include granite, kaolin, columbite, channockete, iron ore, baryte, aquamine, gemstone, phosphate, limestone,GOLD among others. They are largely deposited in different towns and villages of Ijero, Ekiti West, Ado - Ekiti, Ikole, Ikere, Ise-Ekiti and other Local Government Areas.The Land is also blessed with water resources, some of its major rivers are Ero, Osun, Ose, and Ogbese. More so a variety of tourist attractions abound in the state namely, Ikogosi Warm Spring, Ipole - Iloro Water Falls, Olosunta hills, Ikere, Fajuyi Memorial Park Ado - Ekiti and so on. The Ikogosi tourist centre is the most popular and the most developed. The warm spring is a unique natural feature, and supporting facilities are developed in the centre. The spring is at present being processed and packaged into bottled water for commercial purpose by a private company - UAC Nigeria

Moreover, the land is buoyant in agricultural resources with cocoa as its leading cash crop. It was largely known that Ekiti land constituted well over 40% of the cocoa products of the famous old Western Region. The land is also known for its forest resources, notably timber. Because of the favorable climatic conditions, the land enjoys luxuriant vegetation, thus, it has abundant resources of different species of timber. Food crops like yam, cassava, and also grains like rice and maize are grown in large qualities. Other notable crops like kola nut and varieties of fruits are also cultivated in commercial quantities

Ekiti Anthem
" Oun abajoro kiipe kun
Oun asepo nileye
Ehin ola wa tidara o
Awa Ekiti ati parapo
Kaparapo katun panupo
Awa Ekiti ati gbominira
Okan lawansee
Chorus: Ekiti, Ekiti ati gbominira (2ce)
Awa Ekiti iwaju laomalo lagbara Olorun
Awa Ekiti okan soso ma ni’wa o lailai."

Oriki Ekiti
omo Owa omo ekun
omo oro ninu waya agbele sebi eko, aidamo ro o yangba
omo otiriki ju Ida, ki keri ogun hun won l'ule Owa
Elila oke isa, okan din nibe eyin ra kan si, okan le nibe inse leyin pa kan je
Omo agesin re popo ukoro,
Omo ogbogan gbogan leti
Omo aroyin royin kan se po e yo run lule aran
Omo ekun peran dagba aya si,
Omo jiwajiwa ileke
Eyin lomo olulu oro kii ro loru.
Omo olupepe ka sokasoka ka mebibo sere, ka
soloko segbe ogiri lule eyigbo
Eyin lomo irafi eemi, omo agbona bi ado
Omo elewure funfun ilasa ki fun bi okin
Omo obanla ba odo, omo arabaribi akuta
Omo Aalaere gbendeke, Omo aji be gbaa ji
Udile Ekiti Omo aji mogun sano omo
opababa lesi lodo ose oko.

ADEYEMI Ekundayo Adeyinka, Prof. Distinguished Professor, 1st Professor of Architecture in West Africa
Adegoke Olubummo, Ekit man and one of the 1st Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics
Saraibi Ogedengbe Agbogungboro

^^^^^^
The 3rd man in the picture that was
attached to @Macof's original post on page 1
is the Commander of the Ekiti Parapo Forces
by the name of Ogedengbe Agbogunboro.

I originally saw that picture in the historical
archives in the late 90's. The iconic picture of
the Ijesa-born Commander of the Ekiti Parapo
Confederate Army was taken at Imesi-Ile in
the year 1881 with some of his lieutenants who
took part in the 16-year long Civil War that started in 1879. When I showed the original
picture to a friend from Ekiti in the late 1990s,
he went wild and said he had never set his
eyes on the picture of Ogedengbe who he
said is very popular in the history of the Yoruba
and begged me to lend him the original
archival picture so he could show all his
family members.

I'm a world history enthusiast and would
enjoin the Ekiti/Yoruba and other ethnicities
to acquire and preserve many of the pre-1900
and post-1900 RARE pictures of our people
that are in the British Archives so as to better
appreciate our histories within the 21st Century
scheme of things.

Thanks to @Macof for this post on the Ekiti
history. It is illuminating.

#Ekiti kete! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekiti People by LanceO: 8:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
Facosco:
pls can u mention any town in ekiti that has tribal mark if u can't then remain silent forever
Ondo even still have one 'pele'Ekiti doesn't have any i know...
Re: Ekiti People by BaEnki(m): 7:58am On Apr 05, 2017
I'm proudly Ekiti man, I wish I could speak the dialect soon! I'm nursing an ambition in renaissance of Ekiti's pride and dignity!

Thanks for the info shared Mr Mocof.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti People by OVB123: 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2022
Nice write up
Re: Ekiti People by ForumNL(m): 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2022
Adegoke Olubummo is the first Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics

1 Like

Re: Ekiti People by ForumNL(m): 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2022
Adegoke Olubummo is the first Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekiti People by ForumNL(m): 11:18pm On Sep 11, 2022
Adegoke Olubummo is the first Nigerian Professors in the field of Mathematics..

1 Like

Re: Ekiti People by ForumNL(m): 11:19pm On Sep 11, 2022
Really love this...
Ekiti kete
Home of Professors
Re: Ekiti People by ForumNL(m): 11:22pm On Sep 11, 2022
Ekiti State houses the highest number of Professors in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Edo State Proverbs In All Dialects With Translation(s) / Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations / Flogging Competition In Ipetu-Ijesha, Osun State (Photos & Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.