Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue (12209 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / The Beauty Of Edo Brides And Women In Their Native Attires / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 11:27am On Oct 13, 2014
optimumprimus

where are you from?
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 13, 2014
pansophist:
optimumprimus

where are you from?
I'm American
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by musicwriter(m): 10:45am On Dec 30, 2015
myads890:
How can I be a sell out to an already sold country? What sounds idotic is the fact that you've ony pointed out the obvious without offering a solution. If your solution is better than mine then you can criticize mine.

If you're indeed interested in the solution, look no further. The link on my signature talked about this in details, including the solution.
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by McSquishi(f): 10:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
Black Americans often observe how that our culture was taken from us: we speak English, have Euro derived surnames, etc, etc. It's sad, if true, that Nigerians are willingly giving up their heritage in lieu of appearing more "modern", Western, ?White?... I agree w/ op that modernization doesn't equal abandonment of culture, which language is an essential part of. Chinese ppl go through great lengths to learn English but I've never heard of a school in China where speaking Chinese was shunned, even during English class. This idealization of all things Western/White made sense during the height of western imperialism, bc it was forced upon the colonized. Now, it's just voluntary ignorance & self-inflicted cultural genocide. Smh
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 12:11am On Dec 31, 2015
McSquishi:
Now, it's just voluntary ignorance & self-inflicted cultural genocide. Smh

This excerpt pretty much summed up all conundrums.

And yes, its true that Nigerians as a whole are very comfortable with the idea of being ''proxy Englishmen'', everything ranging from the legal, governmental, social, media, educational system etc are carried out in the queens language, to the detriment of the native culture. Funny thing is, there is no mass rejection of this notion, even among the highly respected intellects. As a matter of fact, if you want to be conceived as an intellectual genius, you should profess a flawless eloquence in English. Yea, thats how bad it has become. Literacy has been conflated with linguistic. SMH

@sukkot

Any prophesy about why African culture is dying and being replaced with foreign ones>? any possibility to regain it back? make I see am from your own eye abeg grin
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 12:28am On Dec 31, 2015
pansophist:

And yes, its true that Nigerians as a whole are very comfortable with the idea of being ''proxy Englishmen'', everything ranging from the legal, governmental, social, media, educational system etc are carried out in the queens language, to the detriment of the native culture. Funny thing is, there is no mass rejection of this notion, even among the highly respected intellects. As a matter of fact, if you want to be conceived as an intellectual genius, you should profess a flawless eloquence in English. Yea, thats how bad it has become. Literacy has been conflated with linguistic. SMH

@sukkot

Any prophesy about why African culture is dying and being replaced with foreign ones>? any possibility to regain it back? make I see am from your own eye abeg grin
my bros, there is no such thing as african culture. if you have the time to dissect every aspect of what is called african culture you will discover that it is a mish mash of several cultures from thousands of years of migratory pattern all over the globe. you will find out many of what is considered african culture is arabic or ancient babylonian. so try not to hold on tightly to archaic traditions or you will never progress. wink
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 12:33am On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:
my bros, there is no such thing as african culture. if you have the time to dissect every aspect of what is called african culture you will discover that it is a mish mash of several cultures from thousands of years of migratory pattern all over the globe. you will find out many of what is considered african culture is arabic or ancient babylonian. so try not to hold on tightly to archaic traditions or you will never progress. wink

The same applies to every culture on the planet, they are derivatives from mix of predecessors that predates historical records, but they choose to uphold the sanctity of their culture, which language is a crucial part of it. Why should Africa be different?

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 12:37am On Dec 31, 2015
pansophist:

The same applies to every culture on the planet, they are derivatives from mix of predecessors that predates historical records, but they choose to uphold the sanctity of their culture, which language is a crucial part of it. Why should Africa be different?
exactly, which is why you shouldnt hold tightly to them cuz they are not really your culture wink
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 12:41am On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:
exactly, which is why you shouldnt hold tightly to them cuz they are not really your culture wink

Lol oga sukkot, I think say you go give me some ogbonge message from the gods, why things be like this.

Although I wonder why you ignore the part where I said ''they choose to uphold the sanctity of their culture''. So you go proudly teach your kids English if you move to naija ni?
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 12:44am On Dec 31, 2015
pansophist:

Lol oga sukkot, I think say you go give me some ogbonge message from the gods, why things be like this.

Although I wonder why you ignore the part where I said ''they choose to uphold the sanctity of their culture''. So you go proudly teach your kids English if you move to naija ni?
lol my chief, i will not teach my kids any culture. all i will teach them is how to be righteous. thats the only culture i am interested in. righteousness. wink wink
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 7:34am On Dec 31, 2015
pansophist:

@sukkot

Not all Nigerians, I'll give an example.

We Fulani believe that we are (no offence to others) better than English men, we hold onto our culture so dearly. I know that showing superiority complex is wrong and I personally don't believe I'm better than others, after all they say in Fulani language "Semteende woni Pullo" which means being modest is being a Fulani.

With that said, Hausa will never give up their culture, the Yoruba most likely won't give up their culture, the Zarma, the Tuareg, the Toubou and Kanuri won't give up their culture easily as well.

As a Fulani man, I would be quite ashamed if I introduced myself to a Fulani from say Mali, Senegal or Guinea and they opened up a conversation with me in Fulfulde/Pulaar and I answered them with "Oh pardon me, cheerio I'm a proper English man" They would like at me as if I'm crazy ROFLLL. Heck no, forget that, that will most certainly never happen HAHAHA
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 7:37am On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:

That's a very false statement.

What is Arab culture? What is non-Arab culture. You will find that religion is but a subset of culture and does not define culture as a whole. I'll give an example.

Arabs can be both Muslim and Christian...true or false? The answer is true, yet an Arab is still an Arab whether they are Christian or Muslim.

There are certain elements that define culture that most people who don't have a proper education don't understand. These elements include but are not limited to:

1. Language
2. Dress style/Clothing
3. Food
4. Mannerisms

I'm sure there are more than those elements that define culture. Just letting you know.

1 Like

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 10:24am On Dec 31, 2015
Fulaman198:

That's a very false statement.

What is Arab culture? What is non-Arab culture. You will find that religion is but a subset of culture and does not define culture as a whole. I'll give an example.

Arabs can be both Muslim and Christian...true or false? The answer is true, yet an Arab is still an Arab whether they are Christian or Muslim.

There are certain elements that define culture that most people who don't have a proper education don't understand. These elements include but are not limited to:

1. Language
2. Dress style/Clothing
3. Food
4. Mannerisms

I'm sure there are more than those elements that define culture. Just letting you know.
so the culture you have now is the culture you had 10,000 years ago ?
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 10:42am On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:
so the culture you have now is the culture you had 10,000 years ago ?

In regards to modern day Fulanis that are Mbororo'en that still practise their respective cultures it is very close to being what it was 10,000 years ago. the Herding of cattle, the practising of Pulaagu, the milk maidens, the use of Calabash, etc. etc. it's all still there. However, there are Fulanis who don't practise that culture and practise a more Urbanised Fulani pseudo culture.
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 10:49am On Dec 31, 2015
Fulaman198:

In regards to modern day Fulanis that are Mbororo'en that still practise their respective cultures it is very close to being what it was 10,000 years ago. the Herding of cattle, the practising of Pulaagu, the milk maidens, the use of Calabash, etc. etc. it's all still there. However, there are Fulanis who don't practise that culture and practise a more Urbanised Fulani pseudo culture.
the name fulani never existed 10,000 years ago. so are you really fulani ? or are you phut or cush ?. even the name africa never existed 10,000 years ago. even the word igbo or yoruba or hausa. my point here is nothing is what you think it is. the world is constantly evolving and cultures are constantly coalescing into each other

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 31, 2015
Proud to speak my native tongue wherever I am. Actually most of the people I meet find the language very pleasing.
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by McSquishi(f): 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:
the name fulani never existed 10,000 years ago. so are you really fulani ? or are you phut or cush ?. even the name africa never existed 10,000 years ago. even the word igbo or yoruba or hausa. my point here is nothing is what you think it is. the world is constantly evolving and cultures are constantly coalescing into each other
you're suggesting that because a person's culture doesn't trace back to prehistory that they should feel comfortable with abandoning their culture? You should speak with UNESCO about the unimportance of culture bc they do a lot of working traveling the globe in attempts to legitimize & protect indigenous people's culture/history.

While through the natural process of trade, exploration, and more recently globalization, people to lend and borrow from culture's foreign to theirs, it's innate to hold on to family/tribal tradition. Arguing that because Western imperialism forced people to adopt a foreign culture, that said ppl should continue said adoption instead of making effort to retain their identity is... well, I'm not sure if it's condescending or naive.

Even here in "the melting pot" we have Chinatowns, Little Italies, Little Havana, etc etc. People choose to move to America but refuse to abandon their cultural identity. Why then, ask ppl who actually live in their native land to abandon their native culture for a foreign one? all in the spirit of unity?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 5:15pm On Dec 31, 2015
McSquishi:
you're suggesting that because a person's culture doesn't trace back to prehistory that they should feel comfortable with abandoning their culture? You should speak with UNESCO about the unimportance of culture bc they do a lot of working traveling the globe in attempts to legitimize & protect indigenous people's culture/history.

While through the natural process of trade, exploration, and more recently globalization, people to lend and borrow from culture's foreign to theirs, it's innate to hold on to family/tribal tradition. Arguing that because Western imperialism forced people to adopt a foreign culture, that said ppl should continue said adoption instead of making effort to retain their identity is... well, I'm not sure if it's condescending or naive.

Even here in "the melting pot" we have Chinatowns, Little Italies, Little Havana, etc etc. People choose to move to America but refuse to abandon their cultural identity. Why then, ask ppl who actually live in their native land to abandon their native culture for a foreign one? all in the spirit of unity?
i am not suggesting to anyone what to do. if you want to be bound by cultural edicts then by all means do you. me myself ? i dont follow any cultures but thats just how i choose to live my life and i am entitled to do just that. you will find that most cultures are rubbish. for example in nigeria you get people cutting their babies faces for tribal marks or people circumcising their daughters etc etc. its all archaic rubbish. voodoo, sacrificing and killing people for voodoo rituals etc
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by McSquishi(f): 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:
i am not suggesting to anyone what to do. if you want to be bound by cultural edicts then by all means do you. me myself ? i dont follow any cultures but thats just how i choose to live my life and i am entitled to do just that. you will find that most cultures are rubbish. for example in nigeria you get people cutting their babies faces for tribal marks or people circumcising their daughters etc etc. its all archaic rubbish. voodoo, sacrificing and killing people for voodoo rituals etc
Jewish tradition has boy children's penis skin cut off at 8 days old... just bc. Especially when was first done it appeared especially barbaric to outsiders. Parent's here have sharp needles pierced through their baby girl's ears before they are old enough to consent, for beauty. So tribal marks and the like don't seem so far off from these accepted practices. yes, from the outside certain cultural traditions can seem ignorant. Some are especially disconcerting imo it involves the killing of people. Then again, even in "civil" society we kill ppl who commit certain crimes, we've legal abortions. Legal systems reflect culture as well...

You are right, you can choose to live in a culture-less way of life, though that may prove impossible as you're bound to adopt one cultural practice or another unless you live in your home & never leave. I sense you just look down upon certain cultural traditions while viewing others as just normal behavior, not understanding everything anyone does is representative of a culture, modern or otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 6:31pm On Dec 31, 2015
McSquishi:
Jewish tradition has boy children's penis skin cut off at 8 days old... just bc. Especially when was first done it appeared especially barbaric to outsiders. Parent's here have sharp needles pierced through their baby girl's ears before they are old enough to consent, for beauty. So tribal marks and the like don't seem so far off from these accepted practices. yes, from the outside certain cultural traditions can seem ignorant. Some are especially disconcerting imo it involves the killing of people. Then again, even in "civil" society we kill ppl who commit certain crimes, we've legal abortions. Legal systems reflect culture as well...

You are right, you can choose to live in a culture-less way of life, though that may prove impossible as you're bound to adopt one cultural practice or another unless you live in your home & never leave. I sense you just look down upon certain cultural traditions while viewing others as just normal behavior, not understanding everything anyone does is representative of a culture, modern or otherwise.
in a sense everything we do is culture so its quite true to say you cannot completely extricate yourself from culture, however I will not go out of my way to practice any culture. my culture stops at the way i dress and what i eat and maybe some tv programs i choose to watch. all that other extra shytt ? i will leave that to others grin
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2015
sukkot:

The word Fulbe which is what we call ourselves existed 10k years ago. Fulani is a Hausa word. Ful6e is the term in Fulfulde of what we call ourselves. There are entire documentaries of this
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by tpiar: 5:50am On Jan 01, 2016
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by pansophist(m): 11:14am On Jan 01, 2016
Fulaman198:

Not all Nigerians, I'll give an example.

We Fulani believe that we are (no offence to others) better than English men, we hold onto our culture so dearly. I know that showing superiority complex is wrong and I personally don't believe I'm better than others, after all they say in Fulani language "Semteende woni Pullo" which means being modest is being a Fulani.

With that said, Hausa will never give up their culture, the Yoruba most likely won't give up their culture, the Zarma, the Tuareg, the Toubou and Kanuri won't give up their culture easily as well.

As a Fulani man, I would be quite ashamed if I introduced myself to a Fulani from say Mali, Senegal or Guinea and they opened up a conversation with me in Fulfulde/Pulaar and I answered them with "Oh pardon me, cheerio I'm a proper English man" They would like at me as if I'm crazy ROFLLL. Heck no, forget that, that will most certainly never happen HAHAHA

Well, what I mean is that Nigeria as a society placed English on a pedestial, while inadvertently undermines local language. Mind you, small communities practicing its language has no significant effect, its only a matter of time and it would fade away with time. Preserving language doesnt mean there are no speakers who hold it in high esteem, definitely there will always be culturalist. But the crux is that every sphere of society operates in this language, starting from the legal, political, educational, etc. For a language to survive, it needs to enjoy the official status, where it rightly belongs, not otherwise.

A question for you. Have you personally read any literature written by your own scholars in your own language? Can you express yourself fluently or at the same level you do in English? Can you label the human anatomy in your own tongue?
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
Fulaman198:

The word Fulbe which is what we call ourselves existed 10k years ago. Fulani is a Hausa word. Ful6e is the term in Fulfulde of what we call ourselves. There are entire documentaries of this
bros, Fulbe, just like Fulani is a name that is less than 10,000 years old
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 7:34pm On Jan 01, 2016
sukkot:

Sorry to inform you that it's not.
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by Fulaman198(m): 7:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
sukkot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kZL2f-GrqY
Re: Reason Why Modern Nigerians Will Not Speak Their Native Tongue by sukkot: 8:16pm On Jan 01, 2016
Fulaman198:

Sorry to inform you that it's not.
provide documentary evidence that it existed over 10,000 years ago

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Oba Of Benin The Paramount Traditional Ruler Of Niger Delta and Igbos? / FG Recovers 45 Stolen Artefacts From The U.S. / Wow! The Real English Name Of Agbalumo Gotten At Last

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.