Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,570 members, 7,801,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha (14470 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria / Pictures Of OBI Of Onitsha Doing Ofala Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by dahdah: 6:32am On Sep 16, 2014
More like rulers of rural areas
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by sapientia(m): 6:34am On Sep 16, 2014
My fellow Agbogidi.. Ya gazie
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Meringe(m): 6:36am On Sep 16, 2014
What Ig we Achebe said its true. Every kindred in Abia State has a Traditional ruler. The dignity of the office is lost. Most of their Kings are sycophants. If you hear them praising the foo.lish governor, you will imagine if the have conscience at all.

2 Likes

Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 16, 2014
No wonder Abia state is lacking serious development.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by TonySpike: 6:51am On Sep 16, 2014
How many Igwes do we have in crowned in Western Nigeria. I'm sure in Lagos State alone, we have almost 100!
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Okudiover(m): 6:51am On Sep 16, 2014
grin grin grin grin More than 92 percent of the traditional rulers are heading the newly created autonomous communities established from 1997 till date.

grin grin grin grin Mine has been balkanized to eight since 1997. Odiegwu ohh!
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by segradinho: 6:52am On Sep 16, 2014
House of Commotion

Good news for smart phone users, you can now purchase MTN and Etisalat Data Plans for as low as N400 for 250mb, Check out
this thread on Nairaland for full details https://www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-etisalat-data-cheapest-rate
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by morbid: 6:53am On Sep 16, 2014
@Op...this is sensationalism!! U just chose a catchy caption for ur post when the main content of the post is all about the onitsha monarch and his achievements in his first decade in office. Take ur time o tongue

1 Like

Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 16, 2014
What people dont know is that Abia State is the most language diverse in Igbo Land. Even People in the same local government hardly understand each others intonation.
It is the only state where people have to strugle to speak the central Igbo for the other to understand. If each diverse Language traditional ruler is given national recorgnition, I am sure that it would exceed that amount.

But I did not see where he mentioned That Abia has 1000 traditional rulers!!!!!.

What ever, we dont care. My own traditional ruler is a civil servant at abuja. His office is only a ceremonial one because he has not been around. We only know him when he has to be consulted for a project or programme in the community. So what.

1 Like

Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 16, 2014
dahdah: More like rulers of rural areas

You don't know Abia State.
It was the most neglected state during the OBJ/Orji Kalu enemity. It has not yet received the needed attention because Anambra and Enugu stole the spotlight from the whole east. Abia State/ Umuahia was the most beautiful city designed in Nigeria by Mike Okpara. If not for stugle for survival as a result of civil war, no state in Nigeria would have competed with Abia State.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 16, 2014
If you understand the Ngwa People with their thirst for title like our youroba brothers then you wont be surprised that most of these Traditional rulers are from Ngwa. Na Abia you will see a wretched old man that finds it hard to feed himself answering High Chief Nze Ochiri Ozuo Nke Mbu Na Abayi Ngwa
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:24am On Sep 16, 2014
And Yet Ma Village Is More Civilized Than Their Whole State!
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by hensben(m): 7:30am On Sep 16, 2014
Not surprise, chika ike get title too
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 16, 2014
Igbo and greed,it shows if everything they do
The way they talk,walk,eat,look,sleep........greed greed greed
So many trad rulers yet very lawless people
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Izunwa(m): 7:49am On Sep 16, 2014
1000 dumb traditional rulers. Yes, that's what Arthur Eze of Ukpo asked them at the just concluded Anniversary of their State "Abia State does it means u don't have elder .
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Lachynos2k2(m): 7:55am On Sep 16, 2014
thatposter1: Abia has over 1000 traditional rulers. Alright, point taken. So, what am I supposed to do exactly?
submit ur cv,maybe one of them could employ you as a "towncryer".
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 16, 2014
Who?

Afrocatalyst:

Igbo nwere Eze.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 16, 2014
IGWEeeeeeee!!!!!!! The comfort is great! Nollywood tells it all! They eat while the subject starves!
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by willibounce1(m): 8:30am On Sep 16, 2014
1000 hungry and greedy traditional rulers. Those are the ppl eating money meant for development in abia.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by lamex20(m): 8:34am On Sep 16, 2014
Na wa ooo! I guess d title is free 4 every1
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by MyX1: 8:36am On Sep 16, 2014
EbuGeneral: with all these traditional rulers in Abia, yet that state is such a slum. The best the traditional rulers can do especially those from Ngwa is to take a small token and sell there birthright and the state remains in a poor state. The even put up bill boards supporting the treacherous governor t A orji for senate in 2015.
The perfidy and Mendacity of all
the apparatchic of Abia State
suzerainty is not only repugnant
but also insalubrious! I said to my
self: What an anathematous
disdain of the citizenry! What a
deprecable descent from the
sublime to the ridiculous! Who will
curb the odoriferous excesses of
this machavellian and
mephistopheleancabal in the
State?.
With this state of affairs, i dare
Say that Abia is
swimming in a pestilential aqua
with a disastrious terminus ad
quem inherently laden
avoidable cataracts, ice bergs and
oxbow Lakes. It is sardonic and
lugubrious!!! IN A LAYMAN LANGUAGE, I MEAN TO SAY GOD BLESS ABIA STATE.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by free2ryhme: 8:39am On Sep 16, 2014
Gully plagued autonomous communities with 80% of its indigenes living and owning businesses in the south west with little or nothing to show in their respective communities where they come from.

Communities notoriously know for their high rates in kidnapping, blood money rituals, armed robberies, fake and substandard products, 419, etc
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Odunharry(m): 8:42am On Sep 16, 2014
softsparkyy: I just wanna say ....Good morning ooo to nairalanders.
mrning 2 u

1 Like

Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Arysexy(m): 8:49am On Sep 16, 2014
Consequence of autonomous community in abia state.

1 Like

Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by olatunji390(m): 8:55am On Sep 16, 2014
Politicians are really suffering in Abia state then. If a politician want to go for the post of the governor, how many traditional ruler will he see and how much will he spend? Question for the gods.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Charles4075(m): 10:04am On Sep 16, 2014
@ Op, na wahala you just dey look for so ohh. Why you go open this kind thread ni? Waiting for I and Y sects to invade this thread now with insults. I nor mention names ohh, just ''I and Y'' na I talk ohhh
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by chidooh1: 10:05am On Sep 16, 2014
An uncle of mine in his late 40s claimed to have been crowned EZE. He quickly transformed into an overlord and started claiming people's land. He has built a magnificent edifice called house and now using the latest sienna, i only know him as a farmer cultivating garden egg, T.A Orji and his cohorts have finished Abia, chieftaincy title is being given to hungry jobless fellows that beg up and down especially when one travels home for visitation, Abia needs a serious revolution if they really want to develop.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 16, 2014
Come achebe, how this thing take concern u?!. Mtcheew. In short, change the figure to 1001, cos am taking my throne today.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Dreambeat: 10:31am On Sep 16, 2014
It is as a result of various autonomous communities that recently came on board in Igboland.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by michaelly: 10:53am On Sep 16, 2014
Abia is a state with 1000 traditional ruler yet see below

Going to Umuahia, the capital of Abia State is a tough task; it is like a journey to Golgotha. It is an exercise that has deleterious effect on commuters as well as takes a heavy toll on vehicles. Whether you are coming from the Port Harcourt/Aba axis or the Okigwe section, it is the same sto­ry. It is the story of an expressway filled with gullies and craters, an expressway to hell.

Ordinarily, it takes about 50 minutes or less to drive from Aba to Umuahia but with the current state of the road, it can take be­tween two and five hours. This is because some portions of the Port Harcourt – Aba – Enugu expressway have failed completely. In fact, the level of degradation and devasta­tion of the road is unimaginable. Some por­tions have become death traps; it is worse than what obtains in war-torn countries such as Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Somalia. One notoriously bad spot is the Osisioma junc­tion where vehicles are sometimes trapped for hours and commuters forced to trek long distances. And because of the indescribable state of the road, drivers do not observe traffic rules. They drive against traffic in an attempt to avoid the gullies dotting the long stretch. This often results in head-on collisions and, consequently, injuries and deaths. Again, bandits operate freely at the bad spots where vehicular movements are impeded. Ironically, scores of billboards dot the expressway from Aba to Umuahia dress­ing Governor Theodore Orji in the robe of a miracle worker. Billboards of the governor also litter the capital.

It is not difficult to know that you have arrived Umuahia capital territory if you are coming from the Port Harcourt/Aba axis. You will be greeted by a stinging odour ema­nating from wastes occupying a vast expanse of land on the right hand side of the road. The ‘Ochendo perfume,’ as it is popularly referred to, will also alert you when leaving the town. Even if you were sleeping in a ve­hicle with the window down, the offensive odour would hit you into consciousness, like a sucker punch.

Inside the capital

The Abia Tower welcomes you to the capital of the state, which prides itself as God’s own state. Going right, you enter into the centre of the town. The reporter was in Umuahia on September 4, 2014 and discov­ered that the city has remained largely un­touched in the last couple of years. No at­tempt has been made to spruce up the city. Even streets in the prestige areas are ailing. According to a resident, Mr Hilary Ijomah, “the city is going backwards satisfying the ambitions of a few insatiable men and wom­en and their children.”

Decaying infrastructure

Umuahia, today, is not a song worth sing­ing. The city is gradually decaying. It is like a fading flower. Or rather, it sits in the sun like a forgotten old lady. And no one seems to care. To start with, the alluring lawns by the sidewalk, particularly along Bank Road/ Library Avenue, have lost their beauty. They are now left to grow wild and mowed, if at all, in a manner that destroys the aesthetic values. Parts of School Road, Aba Road and Umuwaya Road, among others, are over­grown with weeds. Take the Post Office on Umuwaya Road. It contends with reptiles and bushes.

As a matter of fact, Umuahia looks ordi­nary. Hear this from Bro Timothy, a com­mercial tricycle (Keke) rider: “If you come to Umuahia after going to a place like Uyo, the capital of Akwa Ibom, you will be angry. I cannot understand what the governor and his people are doing. The only thing we know is that Ikuku is always terrorising people. He can park his car in the middle of the road for as long as he wants and inconvenience peo­ple and nothing will happen. I don tire for this place.”

In the same vein, Mr Innocent Nwamuo, a banker, remarked: “I have been in Umua­hia for some years now but nothing has changed in terms of adding value by way of beautification and expansion. All the roads were tarred by previous administrations; the outgoing administration has done virtually nothing. I think one can say that the admin­istration is clueless; the government doesn’t know what to do. I think that is what they call incompetence. The present regime is an embarrassment to this state. In fact, Umuahia is gradually going the way of Aba in terms of poor infrastructure but the good thing is that there will be a change of baton in May next year. But there is the culture of fear. If you talk, they may come after you; that’s why many people are not speaking openly now. Wait till after handover and see what will happen.”

Major roads in the town are steadily crumbling. Umuwaya Road, which is in the heart of the town, is developing cracks and potholes just like Eket Street. Niger Street is no longer smooth while Oji River Road is in bad shape. Umuokpara Street by Amuzukwu layout is bad; Amafor Street is a sad com­mentary on the city. Other roads in the town that need attention include Owerri Road, Owerri Road Extension and Uzoanya Cres­cent.

Life in the residential areas in Umuahia is not what one would call exciting. Such residential areas as the World Bank, Agbama and Low Cost Housing Estates are steeped in darkness and decay. Less than seven minutes away from the seat of power, they suffer ab­ject neglect. You will begin to see a sign of the condition of World Bank Estate as soon as you drive in through Health Centre Road. There, you are greeted by an overflowing garbage bin messing up the environment. An acrid odour pervades the surrounding, forc­ing passers-by to close their noses. Umu­waya Road also contends with overflowing refuse. However, the mother of waste dumps is at Captain Nwachukwu Street, Agbama Estate. The mould of waste has taken over part of the uneven road. It was disgusting to discover such a place in a state capital and more shocking to see human beings living in such deplorable condition. Indeed, such places are made for pigs.

“My brother, this is how we see it. They come to remove the garbage once in a long while. We are living in danger and there is nothing we can do about it. Our situation is worse when it rains and the garbage is soaked. Then it stinks to high heavens and there is no way you can stop people from generating wastes. We fear the outbreak of disease here. Living here is a horrendous and harrowing experience,” lamented a civil servant who wants to remain anonymous for fear of being persecuted in the office.

Most of the roads at World Bank Estate are begging for attention. They include Isuochi Street, Sir Ugoji Ogali Street, Onyejelem Amaechi Street and Ututu Street. Worse still, many of the roads in the residential areas are not named, making identification diffi­cult. A particular street in Agbama leading to Olokoro is simply indescribable. It’s dirty, narrow and flood-ravaged. Out of bounds to vehicles, it is even difficult navigating it on foot. It doesn’t belong to this age and time. In the words of a resident: “It is a total shame.”

The Umuahia – Ikot Ekpene Road is im­passable. There, even big vehicles are swal­lowed up in the craters on the road. So, driv­ers have become pathfinders, as they navigate through the bushes where they are sometimes forced to pay toll by village urchins.

Levies without end

It was gathered that the state government imposes arbitrary levies on residents. For in­stance, tricycle operators in Umuahia pay the following levies daily: (1) Daily infrastruc­tural development levy: N100; Daily Tricy­cle park toll: N20; Tricycle owners/riders association daily ticket: N50 and daily road safety ticket: N20. It was learnt that default­ers, when caught by the dreaded and gener­ally vicious task force, will have themselves to blame. Keke riders also pay an annual tax of N3,600 each.

Uzor, a keke rider, told the reporter: “You don’t have any other option than to pay what­ever levies they come up with because if the task force people catch you, they will im­pound your keke.

They will harass and manhandle you and before your keke will be released to you, you will part with nothing less than N3,000. We dey fear them no be small.”

Perhaps, it is because of the multiple lev­ies that there are no taxis in Umuahia.

According to Prince Ukaegbu, Abia State APGA chairman: “Umuahia is the only state capital in the whole Nigeria you cannot get a cab. There is no taxi in Umuahia.”

It was also gathered that landlords and traders or shop owners pay all manner of lev­ies. Darkness can be found at the edges of the capital city as the suburbs are not developed.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Umuahia-captain-road.jpg
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by Sammyblaq(m): 10:53am On Sep 16, 2014
thats why they lack respect...
Eze - 100k
chief - 50k

i almost shaked an EZE last time.
Re: UNBEATABLE: Abia State Has Over 1000 Traditional Rulers, Claims Obi Of Onitsha by donbenie(m): 11:27am On Sep 16, 2014
Afrocatalyst:

Igbo nwere Eze.
Igbo enwegh Eze,if you don't know what the saying means,ask.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Happened To The "Nkan Nbe" Type Of Programs? / Amusat laleye Dusin Kidnapped In Osun / How Do U Spell (weed) In Yoruba, Is It Igbo? Or Egbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.