Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University (34266 Views)

7 Benefits Of Attending A Public University / Edo University, Iyamo, Most Expensive Public University In Nigeria (Pics / Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by ericgold(m): 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2014
Your english alone just proves more on why I shouldn't attend private universities because if I do,I will even be worse than you(grammatically speaking)go and recconcile with your english teacher.
OduntanGabriel: This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

Here are the 6 reasons why I attending a private university is good for you.

1)Conducive Environment : When you look at some government owned universities,you wonder if this is actually a secondary school or what? The government of nigeria doesn't really show much concerns to their schools but private university believes that a conducive environment is very essential for learning. When you go to private universities for a tour , you don't feel like leaving there, they have things in place for learning. You see student of public university overcrowded(receiving lectures through the window or standing @ the door) how do you learn in this environment,with so much heat thanks to the over population.

2)COST: Yea, I know you do be surprised I said cost. Private universities are expensive, you don't expect education to be cheap. The are expensive because they give you value for money. I leave you with the slogan which says if education is expensive try ignorance.

3)CONNECTION: No matter how rich a man is,if he doesn't have connection,he's useless. Private universities creates an avenue for you to meet the sons and daughters of the rich and powerful men in our societies. The Dangotes and otedolas have their sons ,daughters, nephew etc in this so called private universities and this can easily elevate you. Being a scholar does not guarantee you an employment opportunity in our society except you are connected. Isn't it a good thing to be dinning and winning with the crème de la crème of society? Answer me

4)SECURITY: Our public schools are not safe,not even safe for the lecturers not to talk of the students. Many student have lost their lives to this game called Cultism (even the innocent ones). Some lecturers who refuse to dance to the tune of this so called school prefects have kicked the bucket. What is the essence of making a 1st class in public universities and on your graduation day or final exam ,you get wasted. Abraham Maslow's listed 5 hierarchy of needs and SAFETY is one of it. Our Public universities are not safe for learning

5) STRIKE ACTION: OMG, why would a 4years course becomes 6years without any extra years or carry over? Strike has been one of the main problem facing the education system in nigeria. Some people entered the university @ the age of 25 with the hope of finishing a 4 years course but due to strike actions the finished at the age of 31 and couldn't go for their youth service because they are above 30years. In a private university, you know when you are graduating except the student failed some courses which lead to extra years.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by shollay09(m): 9:44pm On Sep 10, 2014
careema:

For your mind
.... Well, I better tell you that WE ARE A BETTER BY FAR UNIVERSITY
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Sugardiva(f): 10:00pm On Sep 10, 2014
flolancracker: And most students in public universities are the ones who cheated their way through.

At the end of their Bsc degrees, the private graduate turns out to be the better graduate. Not hating on public universities, I'm simply paying you back in your own coins, because you generalised first.

I beg to differ. I had the priviledge of being classmates with graduates of public and private universities at the law school. The only academically sound students were students from public universities like Uniben, Unical, UNN etc. Students from private universities did not know even the most basic principles of law. It was smbarrasing and their excuse was that they were not taught.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Pasca07: 10:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
Chai,so kids are still disturbing themselves over who is superior?sit down on nairaland keep shouting who is better than others when others are making it big in the real world....
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sugardiva:

I beg to differ. I had the priviledge of being classmates with graduates of public and private universities at the law school. The only academically sound students were students from public universities like Uniben, Unical, UNN etc. Students from private universities did not know even the most basic principles of law. It was smbarrasing and their excuse was that they were not taught.

yeah...understand wat u saying babe....happened to us private grads
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by gbengress1: 11:37pm On Sep 10, 2014
People may be surprised to know that the op just graduated from a public university this year.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by hemor(m): 11:41pm On Sep 10, 2014
can someone tell me d difference between a prison and a private university? i would rather go to college of education than to go to private university.
#teampublicuniversity

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by joseph1832(m): 12:05am On Sep 11, 2014
shollay09: .... Well, I better tell you that WE ARE A BETTER BY FAR UNIVERSITY
Did you attend UNILORIN?.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by joseph1832(m): 12:08am On Sep 11, 2014
Sugardiva:

No shit!? My lil sis said the same thing. Imagine with all the amount of money they paid!.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by joywendy(f): 12:17am On Sep 11, 2014
thelastgenius:

Alright sir,
But isn't it this same "mentally challenged and autistic wards" that sweep the federal government scholarship for first class grads...

Get your facts right!

Tell me,....Hopefully 10-15 years from now Yu'll prolly be rich ...Would you let your children go through the pains you suffered in your public schools??...

I personally believe that schools like UI and OAU have got good brains.....Apart from this two ehn....the rest na story.

Kindly erase that mentality of rich people dump their wards in Priv unis...Not all Priv Uni students have rich parents. And surely every Public Uni also has its own "mentally challenged and autistic" students.

Any school that doesn't qualify for Zain africa challenge is trash shey?? Ok sir. Priv Unis are trash.
Satisfied?
seriously why did you answer him? I saw his post on the other thread at first and thought he was saying some thing meaniful and then after reading that his last post. I just realized the guy was filled with hate.

Mr.Dayosaurus which department were you refering to in your post? Where exactly did you get your information from? Because most of the Hods I know are mostly professors, I don't know where you got that info that they are Msc holders.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by mcpat(m): 1:37am On Sep 11, 2014
OduntanGabriel: This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

Here are the 6 reasons why I attending a private university is good for you.

1)Conducive Environment : When you look at some government owned universities,you wonder if this is actually a secondary school or what? The government of nigeria doesn't really show much concerns to their schools but private university believes that a conducive environment is very essential for learning. When you go to private universities for a tour , you don't feel like leaving there, they have things in place for learning. You see student of public university overcrowded(receiving lectures through the window or standing @ the door) how do you learn in this environment,with so much heat thanks to the over population.

2)COST: Yea, I know you do be surprised I said cost. Private universities are expensive, you don't expect education to be cheap. The are expensive because they give you value for money. I leave you with the slogan which says if education is expensive try ignorance.

3)CONNECTION: No matter how rich a man is,if he doesn't have connection,he's useless. Private universities creates an avenue for you to meet the sons and daughters of the rich and powerful men in our societies. The Dangotes and otedolas have their sons ,daughters, nephew etc in this so called private universities and this can easily elevate you. Being a scholar does not guarantee you an employment opportunity in our society except you are connected. Isn't it a good thing to be dinning and winning with the crème de la crème of society? Answer me

4)SECURITY: Our public schools are not safe,not even safe for the lecturers not to talk of the students. Many student have lost their lives to this game called Cultism (even the innocent ones). Some lecturers who refuse to dance to the tune of this so called school prefects have kicked the bucket. What is the essence of making a 1st class in public universities and on your graduation day or final exam ,you get wasted. Abraham Maslow's listed 5 hierarchy of needs and SAFETY is one of it. Our Public universities are not safe for learning

5) STRIKE ACTION: OMG, why would a 4years course becomes 6years without any extra years or carry over? Strike has been one of the main problem facing the education system in nigeria. Some people entered the university @ the age of 25 with the hope of finishing a 4 years course but due to strike actions the finished at the age of 31 and couldn't go for their youth service because they are above 30years. In a private university, you know when you are graduating except the student failed some courses which lead to extra years.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university.

I cant begin to fault the basis of your argument and if i am to do a full report it would take pages of the thread, I better stick to the points you have stated and try to make you see reasons from angles I dont think you have knowledge of. As for the people who liked your post tongue

1) Conducive Environment : You stated that Public universities are not conducive enough for learning, I am compelled to ask which public unis you have visited? Students of federal universities pay a fee tagged " Developmental Fee" which is being channeled by the school authorities into building more lecture theaters and renovating existing ones. During the course of my five years in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Benin, Renovations were carried out semester in semester out. That would make it impossible for a graduate of 09 to recognize his faculty if he comes visiting. I would also like to know how a private uni environment is better than a federal one, Good road networks? Large capacity Theater halls? Excellent Public Address system> State of the art library. you name it.

2) Cost : Your statement of not expecting education not to be cheap makes me ponder on what you are being taught in your self-glorified private unis, If education is not expected to be cheap, why are developed countries making education cheap/ affordable at least to the age of 18. Why do countries like Norway et all offer free education to tertiary level? What you are trying to say is that a certain Bola is not entitled to go to school because her mum sells tubers of yams at mile 12 and cant afford the 600k a session fee for her child to be enrolled to school?

3) Connection; I am in a loss on how to classify what you said under the above heading, should i base it on Ignorance or being kept in a glorified secondary school for too long that you have no idea of whats going on outside your school walls. I understand that going to a private unis would create an avenue for you to meet kids of Dangote, Odetola e.tc. But are you unaware of the fact that children of CEO's of different banks and big Institutions come to a federal uni, nephew, niece and cousins of Project managers, Senior consultants, medical practitioners, professors and the likes attend federal universities. My bunkie in my sophomore year is a child of a diplomat, did not grow up in nigeria has a senior brother who is a top gun in Total and here he is Studying Electrical Engineering and living in Hall 4? What other connection do i need? Perhaps you might have forgotten its the year 2014, where the MNC's rule the day and the IOC's are the most sought after, and the so called connection you so cling to would only get you a job as the lobby cleaner.

4) SAFETY ; Please dont just make assumptions and come on here to make claims without fact or necessary back up, give me a link to a story that would tell me of a first class federal university material that was murdered. If you have none. KINDLY SHUT UP

5) STRIKE ACTION ; This would have gone in swiftly for you if only the numerous strikes affected me, i was admitted 09 for a five year course and was billed to finish 2014 and here i am even with the recent 6 months strike am starting my final exams by November. The strike actions has made it possible for public uni students to indulge themselves in one handiwork and/or certification or the other. A blessing in disguise you would say

6) DISCIPLINE : Same as (4) above, who says scholars in public schools are not disciplined, most of the students admitted are from humble backgrounds who have little or no exposure to violence and other juvenile activities, I am yet to hear of a case where a Senior lecturer was slapped by a student, if you have heard please share.

To all Federal university scholars out their keep repping, jacking, Deciphering and doing your best. If you are good you are good.

LAST BULLET : How many Federal unis did you apply for before switching to a private uni? or you have always wanted to be a CU/BOWEN/madonna graduate right from ss1? If this is how Private uni materials have little or no knowledge of sentence structure and the right use of tenses then i think thats enough reason not to attend a Private university.

Make of This What you will

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:38am On Sep 11, 2014
**yawns***** story for the gods.
Say No To Poverty undecided

engrsoma:
1. the way you speak its as if you adore money wella
2. All parents would like to send their kids to respected public universities which they themselves graduated from, do you think that those rich parents are happy sending their kids to those expensive schools.
3. forming phonetics is not the same as having good command of english language. No be this same nigeria we all grow up, wetin give them the foreign accent, eating fried rice?.
4. Even if my dad was bill gates, i would rather he used that money he would spend on my school fees to runz UNN for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:43am On Sep 11, 2014
See your head... Mr headward undecided

drizzy009: see your mouth.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Samueloladapo(m): 2:57am On Sep 11, 2014
constance500: Useless post... Op are u high undecided

agreeded
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by hemor(m): 3:19am On Sep 11, 2014
peppyluv02: See your head... Mr headward undecided

lol. na so im head big reach? haba...

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 4:25am On Sep 11, 2014
mcpat:

2) Cost : Your statement of not expecting education not to be cheap makes me ponder on what you are being taught in your self-glorified private unis, If education is not expected to be cheap, why are developed countries making education cheap/ affordable at least to the age of 18. Why do countries like Norway et all offer free education to tertiary level? What you are trying to say is that a certain Bola is not entitled to go to school because her mum sells tubers of yams at mile 12 and cant afford the 600k a session fee for her child to be enrolled to school?

Norway can afford to provide free education because

1.It is the world's second largest oil producer.....and it produces oil for a population of less than 15 million people.(Nigeria produces far less .....for 170-200 million people).

2.In addition, it has a strong industrial base..which means that potential tax revenues are good enough.(Nigeria? Zero industries, zero tax revenues).

3.Still on tax, Norwegians, like most Europeans pay a large amount of tax. (Most Nigerians do not pay sufficient taxes.For instance,how many Nigerians pay municipal tax? At a rate of say N30000 monthly?)

4.Utilities work efficiently in Norway.(unlike Nigeria,where universities spend a lot of money on generator and water supply costs).

5.Norwegian universities have access to massive funding....and not all of it is government funds. (NTNU, Norway's second largest university has a budget of $800Million.....most Nigerian universities have budgets up to $15 million).

6.Norway may not sustain its free system for long....

Nigeria may need to increase school fees. The oil money is not enough.

As the article Rich Kid, Poor Kid: The Fallacy Of Educational Subsidies In Nigeria puts it....

governments in Nigeria do not have the resources to fund education in Nigeria for almost free at all levels and still have world-class quality. Before you scream corruption, let me add that this will be the scenario even if corruption in Nigeria is at 0%. It is a mirage, a hard truth nobody wants to say because he/she is scared of the public backlash. The end result of this has been the scenario I painted in the beginning between the ‘poor’ kid and ‘rich’ kid. We should be honest about the fact that there is no country in the world that offers free tertiary education at a quality that is globally competitive. This is not to say that those who cannot afford tuition should totally forget about going for tertiary education. Like I said in the reform proposal, there should be scholarships based on merit available, discounts, payments in instalments and also financial aid based on needs. There should be a mix of options available for the student to enable him complete his education.

Nigerians, irrespective of their financial status, believe it is mandatory for the government to make sure that tertiary education is free and of high quality. Yet, a lot of these Nigerians, especially from the middle class upwards pay more in primary and secondary school fees than in university tuition. Like a friend of mine put it, it is only in Nigeria that a parent will willingly pay N150, 000 per term for his child in secondary school; yet he wants to pay just N30, 000 annually in university and expect high quality. According to the Central Bank of Nigeria, an estimated $3billion leaves our shores annually to pay for university tuition abroad. I believe that if our own schools were of quality and tuition-paying, these monies would go to making our schools better. It would also enable the schools extend more opportunities to those who are more indigent.

Will this make less people able to afford tertiary education? Possibly. But the consolation that goes with it is that those who do go to school will be receiving quality education, which they can apply to create opportunities in our economy. The target for education should be more about quality than quantity. As much as it is important that everyone who desires to attend a tertiary education does, it is even more important that those who do presently get the best possible. If we have to make a compromise between the two, we should sacrifice quantity of graduates for the quality of the graduates. But we should also improve the quality of public basic education that one does not have to have tertiary education in order make it in our country. We should make the system so good that we can have our own Richard Bransons, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who all have gone on to be world-changers despite not having university degrees, but public basic education in their countries.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by fadjnr(m): 7:12am On Sep 11, 2014
KnightOfLaif:

Na fallacy b dis na...

na serious fallacy my guy.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by engrsoma(m): 7:28am On Sep 11, 2014
[quote author=peppyluv02]**yawns***** story for the gods.
Say No To Poverty undecided

[quote]

You dont even know who i am. I can buy you. Not everyone that attends Public uni is poor.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by onlyme07(m): 7:55am On Sep 11, 2014
Why do you always compare private and public uni on NL?

Yes, I attend a private uni and what you guys think about private uni does not really happen in all.

You always say, the students in private uni failed Jamb and post utme many times in public uni. Don't forget the private uni also use the same cut off mark for jamb meant for all universities and also write post utme.

I sat for KSU post utme, in 2009 , I was number 15 on the highest score but couldn't gain admission due to indigene issue.

I sat for UNIOSUN post utme in 2010, I couldn't secure admission due to same issue and man no man things. (mayorall is aware). Students who made the law faculty list had connection from above. The same year, i sat for EKSU post utme, i even paid 10k to one of the lecturers but a new VC was appointment and followed the Jamb list which made admission for that year really low.

I sat for Funaab post utme in 2011,trying to change my course, I scored 61 percent. I didn't gain admission due to my subjects combination in Jamb. Do you want me to pass Jamb again and sit at home? Justify.

Why can't we be grateful to the proprietors for giving helping hand to the federal govt, investing in the economy and putting smiles on students who couldn't gain admission into the few public uni. I regard lots of students in public uni as oppurtunist.

Uniosun law students pay 50k more than my total fees in a session. My uni allows you to stay off campus which helps in developing the town.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 8:12am On Sep 11, 2014
shollay09: .... Well, I better tell you that WE ARE A BETTER BY FAR UNIVERSITY

I neva said Federal universities arent better. The question is are the graduates better by far? Hell no.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Eminentsaint(m): 10:08am On Sep 11, 2014
This post is super-illogical! Poster or whatever you choose to call yourself, can you organize a fund where Nigerians from poor family backgrounds would pay at least N5,000 per session as tuition fee in private universities? I know you can't but you are writing rubbish! Use your senses well okay?
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by drizzy009: 11:11am On Sep 11, 2014
hemor: lol. na so im head big reach? haba...
undecided
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by SME1: 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
Lmaooooo, I can't just stop laughing at the funny comments. No doubt dere is a big difference between public university and private university and what one lacks the other acquires and vice versa. But @op ur English wack gan ooo. U must not be a product of a private uni if not ur parents have just wasted their life savings educating someone dey should have just kept in a college of education not even a public university cos public university students don't talk dat way. 2) ur level of reasoning is quite low. U don't have points or arguments concerning dis case cos dere are 500 points I can give to counteract the crap u just wrote.
Private university students are just babies cos dey dont face the rigours of Wat life has to offer in school. Thereby
dey could be smart but lazy and sloppy and all that won't get u a good job.
Bottom line, the fact that I bought an S4 for 20k and another new S4 for 98k doesn't mean dey will have different features. They are both phones but different in little ways. It depends on d phone itself on which will work better. I hope u can read and understand me clearly if u are intelligent enough to grab my gist.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by shollay09(m): 2:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
joseph1832: Do you attend UNILORIN?.
. Yes..
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by shollay09(m): 2:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
careema:

I neva said Federal universities arent better. The question is are the graduates better by far? Hell no.
.... The graduates are better by far
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by hemor(m): 2:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
careema:

if u guys are better then why do most if not all private universities have summer school to make up for failed courses. Take it or leave it federal universities have better products than private universities but the truth is whoever will fail will always fail even if he goes to Harvard. It's about the students not the school.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
shollay09: .... The graduates are better by far

Streetwise.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
hemor: if u guys are better then why do most if not all private universities have summer school to make up for failed courses. Take it or leave it federal universities have better products than private universities but the truth is whoever will fail will always fail even if he goes to Harvard. It's about the students not the school.

the summer school is used to make up credits lost through absence or failure. Private universities are time wise my dear, instead of you going on holiday only to get dumber and write the paper next session. Federal universities be like Manchester United, relying on old time glory.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Habdolleez02(m): 3:10pm On Sep 11, 2014
well u tried.... All dis are caused by our government, i stil rep public uni
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by thelastgenius: 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2014
hemor: if u guys are better then why do most if not all private universities have summer school to make up for failed courses. Take it or leave it federal universities have better products than private universities but the truth is whoever will fail will always fail even if he goes to Harvard. It's about the students not the school.

There is only one private school that operates summer.....The fact that Public uni grads go through so much hardship doesn't mean they're better.....

Stop comparing yourselves to the gold that passes through fire.....Abi yu get gold for ya DNA??

Things done at the perfect and right time and places always turn out better.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by thelastgenius: 3:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
careema:

Streetwise.

Rotfl...that was harsh

But come oo if some priv uni boys swindle this public guys who think they're street smart ,,they'll even be like thank you sir...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

5 Common Wildlife Misconceptions You Should Do Away With(photos) / How Yabatech Students Sat For A Test / Newborn Baby Dumped Inside Dustbin In Oko Poly Female Hostel (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.