Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? (15262 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 7:24pm On Sep 28, 2014
plaetton:

Yeah Bros.
I have a bright young niece who dropped psychology in University because she said it embarrassed her faith and made her question her beliefs.

Looks like psychology was being taught properly at that university.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:18pm On Sep 28, 2014
There are really not that many atheists in Nigeria. I've only ever met 2 atheists in my life. The first happened to be a final year Physics student in my days in UNN. I was a young, first year Engineering student at the time and I thought he was a lunatic. 17 years of childhood indoctrination is not easy to break free of and fear (a very powerful tool in religion) of questioning my beliefs overwhelmed my logical senses to see his side of the argument. He stayed just 2 rooms away from me in the hostels and actually became a friend (not least, because he always came to my room to beg for garri grin), but he eventually sowed enough seeds of doubt in my mind before he graduated.
The 2nd, I met last year in Lagos' NYSC orientation camp. He became an atheist just by reading Nairaland arguments. He ironically went to Oyedepo's Covenant university.

You'd struggle to find a single atheist in a random crowd of 1000 people in Nigeria. This is an incredibly religious country. The worst part is that if the religious charade was less ubiquitous in the manner of Catholics,Anglicans and other orthodox churches, and even Muslims, it would be more tolerable. It's the new wave pentecostals that I find the most disturbing. From the open bus preaching to their loud speakers blaring their worship on the streets to their televangelists and jet cruising, convoy riding, thieving pastorpreneurs, to their sycophantic followers who worship their "men of God" as "Gods of men" - it's embarrassing to watch.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:30am On Sep 29, 2014
thehomer:

Come now. I'm sure the Wikipedia article is much more than "copy/pasted unverified indefensible trolling for evolution".

Your denial of the evidence for evolution and your request for a "definitive proof for evolution" make me suspicious of the sort of involvement you've had in the biological sciences since 2005.

Neither is a wikipedia article peer-reviewed scientifically accurate information. I'm sure you knew that already.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:30am On Sep 29, 2014
wiegraf:

This

How can one claim to be a scientist yet state this?! It completely befuddles me. No amount of poetry can describe the state of consternation this harebrained statement, from a supposedly trained pro, evokes from me. A trained biologist, a role model in an environment that desperately needs descent role models, looking others square in the eye and telling them 'there's no evidence for evolution'....

Different thing to contest it. Though foo.lish in this case, frankly, considering the sheer amount of evidence available, from all corners, that he has been well exposed to. That would at least be somewhat palatable. No, instead we get "LALALALALA evolution is silly because I'm not a banana". And there is no evidence for it? Really??

I could claim javascript is a great, huge pile of the most finely crafted, consummate dog s.hit (and many would agree), specially designed by some sadistic skydaddy to troll mortals, but I cannot deny it's a scripting language. Ruby, whose creator happens to be a (somewhat) born again xtian/mormon (I forget) and uses paradigms that are not the default of the trypical, making it alien to many not trained to think in that way. Assuming he also went all re.tard and also added that god sent gabriel to him with instructions on how to design it, that stops Ruby from being a programming language how?

Yet here we are. With a driver claiming a honda is not a car. Yet his mule, and a supposedly talking mule at that (ID), is.

Which kind scientist be dis?! Where the f is the professionalism here?!?

PhD my nyash. Fing disgrace

Man, those drugs are leaving my system

Over 500 words (wasted i might say) and yet he provides not a single shred of evidence for his belief in evolution other than to play the "how can you not believe it" canard. Amazing.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:32am On Sep 29, 2014
frank317:

So Mr.PHD holder, since you believe a virgin could be pregnant by faith, will you think I am crazy if I believe dogs have three heads by faith?

that really is your problem. I dont think any one (least alone me) is bothered by your choice of belief. I am only interested when folks like you try to use pseudo-science as a crutch for what is essentially blind faith.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:33am On Sep 29, 2014
frank317:

For a PHD holder, you are asking a very silly question. How can an atheist achieve anaything with the likes of you heading evry department in the country? Religion has messed up ur mind man. Do you think you can achieve any scientific feat with your sort of thinking?

This makes zero sense. essentially you're saying that the only reason atheists have not made their superior intelligence felt yet is because religionists are preventing them? Laughably stupid.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:35am On Sep 29, 2014
thehomer:

One of the best things about anonymous forums is that anyone can claim to be anything they want. Maybe he has a degree but it could be from a non-accredited school like Dr. Dino's school. Or he could just be making stuff up in order to brow beat others into thinking that they're not qualified to handle his special brand of wrong information.

Silly, if you're interested email me and i will show you a link to my school, pubmed author listing and my journal peer reviewer credentials. Unlike most of you, i actually walk the walk and do not require wikipedia articles to get by.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:36am On Sep 29, 2014
Peterken05:

this is one of the reason i'm hostile to any form of religious indoctrination.

If religion can do this to a Phd holder in Microbiology, what about 3 year old child indoctrinated right from birth, what about people that read bible or quran before reading any science textbook?

And we have the likes of them in our schools, univerisities, looking at the situation, it gives me a zero-confidence anything good can come out of it.

I was arguing with a brother that studied physics in the university, i was explaining stuff about the big bang, dark universe, the cosmos to him, i was suprised when he said 'all those stuffs are not real, even quantum physics isnt real' and i was like WTF.

I use to tell people if i have my way out of this country to study overseas, I wont hesistate.

There are many other reasons you are hostile to religion and it has nothing to do with the facts. I'm amazed that you've made close to 20 posts here and not once have you bothered to provide the evidence for evolution that you all pretend is so abundant that a 3-yr old can see.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:37am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01: Davidylan, you don enter "one chance" with your Phd in creationism. grin

Next time, dont parade your pseudoscientific defence of religion around atheists

Its simple mob mentality that i have come to expect. We've gone over 3 pages and not once has anybody even bothered to say... here is a scientific peer-reviewed article providing irrefutable proof for evolution. All i read is the same yawn-inducing faux outrage that anyone dared question the hallowed myth called evolution. It surely cant be that hard to shut me down with the information no?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:38am On Sep 29, 2014
plaetton:

Good to hear you reiterate that.
Now, do you agree that faith is irrational?

Absolutely irrational. the bible says as much so what is new?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 3:46am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Its simple mob mentality that i have come to expect. We've gone over 3 pages and not once has anybody even bothered to say... here is a scientific peer-reviewed article providing irrefutable proof for evolution. All i read is the same yawn-inducing faux outrage that anyone dared question the hallowed myth called evolution. It surely cant be that hard to shut me down with the information no?

lol.....

IT IS IRRELEVANT IF EVOLUTION IS TRUE OR FALSE, YOUR GOD AND RELIGION STILL REMAIN UNSCIENTIFIC AND MYTHOLOGICAL DESPITE THE VALIDITY/INVALIDITY OF EVOLUTION.

Evolution remains of of the most tested theories in the science world. I am yet to see any anti-evolutionist provide any solid disproval of the theory.

there are fossils and dna evidence. I dont know what more you are looking for. You just want to be a dishonest tool.

Please, cite the evidence that evolution is lacking as a scientific theory.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:46am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

Thank you.

Davidylan is too dishonest. Dishonest even to himself. Only a liar would look at Nigeria and think that more Jesus/Christianity will be a good thing.

Religion has failed Nigeria

Religion didnt fail England (where you hide your head), the United States or Germany. Perhaps a more honest conclusion would be that there must be something inherent in the nigerian culture that has stymied growth for so long. It may not be due to religion alone.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:49am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

lol.....

IT IS IRRELEVANT IF EVOLUTION IS TRUE OR FALSE, YOUR GOD AND RELIGION STILL REMAIN UNSCIENTIFIC AND MYTHOLOGICAL DESPITE THE VALIDITY/INVALIDITY OF EVOLUTION.

Evolution remains of of the most tested theories in the science world. I am yet to see any anti-evolutionist provide any solid disproval of the theory.

there are fossils and dna evidence. I dont know what more you are looking for. You just want to be a dishonest tool.

Please, cite the evidence that evolution is lacking as a scientific theory.

This is the typical dishonest musical chairs you people play here that i have decided to no longer bother to engage in. At least 5 times here i have asked for clear peer-reviewed irrefutable proof for evolution... rather than post that, you mumble on about how evolution "remains one of the most tested theories in the science world"... a world you are not a part of neither do you understand. You then go on to ask that i provide evidence that evolution is lacking as a scientific theory? I mean... seriously?

The very fact that you cannot provide the scientific backing for your "theory" is sufficient evidence that it is grossly lacking!
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:51am On Sep 29, 2014
plaetton:

@davidylan.

Also, I hope you are following the TB clown joshua building collapse tragedy and how it is playing out on the Nigerian media and in government circles.
Here we have an uneducated slowpoke who convinces millions that he can defy the law of physics by adding 4 storeys to a 2-storey foundation.
Well, as expected, the laws of physics prevailed.
But now, look how our society, the media and the government is responding to this blatant act of lawlessness.

Can you see in this tragic drama, how religion does not allow the African mind to see and act upon objective reality?

This case is yet the clearest case of religion keeping Africa from moving forward, for, here we see not just the individual members or victims of a lunacy fringe, but the media( the supposed repository of intellects) and the leaders of government acquiesce to the silly and absurd whims of a clown , a fraudster and a law breaker.

is religion also the reason we cannot provide good roads, security, water and jobs for our citizens? Is religion the reason we have literally imported fraud to other countries? Lets get real and stop blaming religion for 100% of Nigeria's problems. As i said earlier, let the atheists stand up and show us how it would be different without religion then perhaps we can give it a try.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 3:52am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Religion didnt fail England (where you hide your head), the United States or Germany. Perhaps a more honest conclusion would be that there must be something inherent in the nigerian culture that has stymied growth for so long. It may not be due to religion alone.

grin grin grin

Slave trade, Nazism, wars, patriarchy/lack of women's rights, blasphemy laws, hindrance of scientific advancement........

Religion failed Europe and that is why they restricted it with secularism.

As you can see, you cant get away with much religious nonsense in the west.

=============================

I never said that religion is the only reason Nigeria is bad......I only said that it has failed Nigeria. Had religion been true/useful, it would have reduced/minimized the corruption- but it has made it worse......

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:52am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

Well, I am very sure that atheists phds are generally smart people and they are keeping their atheism on a low key in order not to be killed, ostracised or discriminated against by you and your religious ilk

Other than that, atheist phds have contributed the best literature to nigeria (Soyinka, chinua achebe)
Atheist phds are fighting for human rights (leo igwe)

and so on

Is that why you struggled to go beyond page 1 on your laughable thread asking atheists to provide examples of discrimination? grin My friend get real.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:54am On Sep 29, 2014
plaetton:

davidylan,
Despite all your pretenses to be dumb, I have no doubts that you are intelligent. If for nothing else, I have to respect your PHD. That is not a joke .
It is your honesty that I question sometimes.

Now, take a tour of Nigerian universities and meet with the professors, and chat with them about science, economics, politics and the role of god in earthly affairs.
If you are honest, you would immediately recognize how the African mind is encumbered by useless religious beliefs.

Plaetton, if we were to be even more honest... is religion the reason atheist professors from Nigeria have not invented a pencil yet?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 3:54am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

grin grin grin

Slave trade, Nazism, wars, patriarchy/lack of women's rights, blasphemy laws, hindrance of scientific advancement........

Religion failed Europe and that is why they restricted it with secularism.

As you can see, you cant get away with much religious nonsense in the west.

=============================

I never said that religion is the only reason Nigeria is bad......I only said that it has failed Nigeria. Had religion been true/useful, it would have reduced/minimized the corruption- but it has made it worse......

you're lying and even you know that. America is unabashedly a christian nation... religion did not fail europe, it simply moved to the background because things actually work there. I must say the reason religion is so prevalent in africa is because that is the opium for a population that is largely poor, destitute and in need of something to numb the pain of an existence of misery.

and why do you think religion should have minimized corruption in nigeria? What are the atheists doing?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 3:57am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Is that why you struggled to go beyond page 1 on your laughable thread asking atheists to provide examples of discrimination? grin My friend get real.

Even your fellow christians have corrected you on your dishonesty and denial of atheist discrimination by religious people in Nigeria.

I have never met such an "ostrich-head-in-the-sand" denier like yourself.

Even just go to the thread asking if religious people would allow their children play with the children of atheists.....some christians were appalled by the bigotry of their fellow christians on that same thread. Some christians refused to let their children play with atheist children, calling atheists "satanists", "evil", "dangerous influence".

^^^^
That is just a small sample of what we face as atheists.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 4:00am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

you're lying and even you know that. America is unabashedly a christian nation... religion did not fail europe, it simply moved to the background because things actually work there. I must say the reason religion is so prevalent in africa is because that is the opium for a population that is largely poor, destitute and in need of something to numb the pain of an existence of misery.

and why do you think religion should have minimized corruption in nigeria? What are the atheists doing?

America has a lot of christians but it remains a secular country in which irreligious people are now enforcing that secularism.

Religion failed Europe.

============================

I'm happy that you have admitted that religion thrives on suffering, illiteracy and poverty. Not for advanced societies. Thanks
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 4:02am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Plaetton, if we were to be even more honest... is religion the reason atheist professors from Nigeria have not invented a pencil yet?

grin grin grin

Because one needs to be a professor to invent.

I dont know if you are stating that atheist professors are sitting down doing nothing. Dont be foolish
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 4:04am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

This is the typical dishonest musical chairs you people play here that i have decided to no longer bother to engage in. At least 5 times here i have asked for clear peer-reviewed irrefutable proof for evolution... rather than post that, you mumble on about how evolution "remains one of the most tested theories in the science world"... a world you are not a part of neither do you understand. You then go on to ask that i provide evidence that evolution is lacking as a scientific theory? I mean... seriously?

The very fact that you cannot provide the scientific backing for your "theory" is sufficient evidence that it is grossly lacking!

and 10 times I have shown you peer reviewed scientific journals about evolution.....what did you do?

You put your head in the sand like and ostrich and claimed "NO EVIDENCE HERE"

Bloody cow

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:12am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

and 10 times I have shown you peer reviewed scientific journals about evolution.....what did you do?

You put your head in the sand like and ostrich and claimed "NO EVIDENCE HERE"

Bloody cow

if you did, i dont remember finding it. try again.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:13am On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

Even your fellow christians have corrected you on your dishonesty and denial of atheist discrimination by religious people in Nigeria.

I have never met such an "ostrich-head-in-the-sand" denier like yourself.

Even just go to the thread asking if religious people would allow their children play with the children of atheists.....some christians were appalled by the bigotry of their fellow christians on that same thread. Some christians refused to let their children play with atheist children, calling atheists "satanists", "evil", "dangerous influence".

^^^^
That is just a small sample of what we face as atheists.

well then explain the demise of your thread asking or that precise information then.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 4:37am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

well then explain the demise of your thread asking or that precise information then.

cry cry

I weep for your sense of honesty. Truly
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 4:38am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

if you did, i dont remember finding it. try again.

It seems I have reduced your ranting into one-sentence comments

#debunked
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by wiegraf: 4:52am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Over 500 words (wasted i might say) and yet he provides not a single shred of evidence for his belief in evolution other than to play the "how can you not believe it" canard. Amazing.

A few notes

That is not a canard. Don't use words you don't understand. In fact, I'd suggest you simply don't discuss matters you don't understand, eg evolution, and stick to your talking donkeys.

I don't believe in evolution in the silly way you entail. It is fact. You might as well ask me to present evidence for my belief in gravity.

That was not meant to present evidence for evolution to you. Despite your claims of a PhD in microbiology, it clearly is beyond you.

For instance, you ask for evidence for evolution while pointing out you share 48% of your DNA with a banana (or whatever it was).

Please, please, david, abeg, think about it slowly...

What is shared ancestry again? And what does your sharing 48% of your DNA with bananas (or whatever) imply?

Who's supposed to be the scientist here? Was Homer Simpson the one who personally oversaw your entire education? Or maybe it was the guy who was asking us to show us our piss evaporating to prove the water cycle exists (what was his name sef?)

The post was meant to shame you, as clearly logic doesn't work for you. You even admit as much, admitting you base your beliefs on (blind) faith. But it seems that would be a waste as well, so meh...

7 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:41am On Sep 29, 2014
I don't think there are a lot of elite level scientists in the world (I'm talking of Nobel Laureates, fellows of the British Royal Academy, the US National Academy of Scientists etc) who deny the existence of evolution. There might be all kinds of questions about its mechanics and all that, but the basic principle is pretty much universally accepted in the credible scientific community. I find it a bit incredible that a Phd level biologist would still be a denier of evolution. shocked And as for asking for evidence, I wouldn't know what would be satisfactory evidence for the deniers. Perhaps, documented video evidence covering the entire speciation process over millions of years in complex organisms would be the only credible proof that would prove satisfactory. I guess the incestuous fathering of the entire human race of billions by Adam and his progeny sounds more believable. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by plaetton: 5:42am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Absolutely irrational. the bible says as much so what is new?

Wow! This is monumental.
This is the first time I am actually giving you a like. cheesy

If faith, religious faith is absolutely irrational, then how can you debate atheists or people of no faith, knowing that you are coming from a position of irrationality?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Weah96: 5:44am On Sep 29, 2014
frank317:

For a PHD holder, you are asking a very silly question. How can an atheist achieve anaything with the likes of you heading evry department in the country? Religion has messed up ur mind man. Do you think you can achieve any scientific feat with your sort of thinking?

LOL. To call them close minded is an understatement.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Weah96: 5:54am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

There's no such thing as irrefutable proof in science. Mathematics and logic maybe, but not science. I find it funny how you bring a novel to the table while expecting others to provide irrefutable proof of something. When did proof ever become a concern of yours?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:30am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Neither is a wikipedia article peer-reviewed scientifically accurate information. I'm sure you knew that already.

That doesn't mean it is "copy/pasted unverified indefensible trolling for evolution". Would you like me to take you through the article and you show me the copy/pasted unverified information that is merely trolling for evolution?

Secondly, would you accept peer-reviewed scientifically accurate information if it goes against your religious beliefs?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo: Pastors And Their Aspirations To Be Like Jesus / Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches? / TB Joshua Ministries Deny 2Go Death Prophecy Rumour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.