Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? (15254 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:36am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Silly, if you're interested email me and i will show you a link to my school, pubmed author listing and my journal peer reviewer credentials. Unlike most of you, i actually walk the walk and do not require wikipedia articles to get by.

I was going to take you up on that offer but frankly it will still be irrelevant here since I still won't be able to verify who it is that I'm talking to without some sort of identity document. For some reason, you're trying to rely heavily on credentials while failing in the most important aspect which is what you actually say.
You claim to walk the walk but so far, those of us "requiring Wikipedia articles to get by" still keep demontrating your fallacies and misinformation.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 9:47am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Its simple mob mentality that i have come to expect. We've gone over 3 pages and not once has anybody even bothered to say... here is a scientific peer-reviewed article providing irrefutable proof for evolution. All i read is the same yawn-inducing faux outrage that anyone dared question the hallowed myth called evolution. It surely cant be that hard to shut me down with the information no?

It is posts like this that make me wonder whether or not you're actually as qualified as you say. You're looking for "a scientific peer-reviewed article providing irrefutable proof for evolution"? Is this a serious request? Darwin had to write an entire book. Other scientists have written entire books and you're looking for a single peer-reviewed article that brings together evidence from biogeography to anatomy all the way down to genetics? I'm sorry but this isn't a serious request from someone who knows what they're talking about.

As I've said, Wikipedia is a good place to start and since I'm currently in a giving mood, I'll happily walk you through some of the evidence provided in this Wikipedia article. Don't forget that the articles have links to references.

Don't like Wikipedia, there's talkorigins.org.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by frank317: 11:28am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

This makes zero sense. essentially you're saying that the only reason atheists have not made their superior intelligence felt yet is because religionists are preventing them? Laughably stupid.

yes that what i am saying. do you want to prove me wrong? little or nothing can be acheived with people like you heading all departments of the country.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by leLabyrinthe: 11:30am On Sep 29, 2014
There are actually more than you think..some are closet agnostic
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by frank317: 11:30am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

that really is your problem. I dont think any one (least alone me) is bothered by your choice of belief. I am only interested when folks like you try to use pseudo-science as a crutch for what is essentially blind faith.

of course it will make zero sense to you. or should i say it will be perfectly normal if you see some guy who believes, by faith, that a dog has three head. afterall, you believe, by faith, a virgin can give birth.

however, i would have like to have your thought on what you would actually think of the person. i know you dont like thinking, but please take your time and tell me what your covert reaction will be if you hear from such a person.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by frank317: 11:55am On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

Over 500 words (wasted i might say) and yet he provides not a single shred of evidence for his belief in evolution other than to play the "how can you not believe it" canard. Amazing.

I doubt anyone is going to give you any evidence because it is obvious you really don't care about evidence. Since when did you start taking evidence seriously? I am quite sure if some preachers had come up to you, threatening you will hell fire if you don't believe in evolution, you would have quickly believed in it without asking for evidence. the reason why you are now asking for evidence is because no one is threatening you with hell fire.

how i wish you had actively asked your pastor for evidence of the repeated jargon he preaches to you every Sunday.

So tell me, if, without proof, you believe a snake possessed by Lucifer talked to a naked woman called Eve into eating from a tree that produces fruits that actually have the ability to make one know whats good and evil, why then do you suddenly need proof to believe in evolution? I expect you to believe it by faith too. why are you suddenly activating your brain now to think this through? is it because there is no threat of hell?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by NativeBoy: 4:09pm On Sep 29, 2014
mazaje:

Which facts?. . Where does the bible support any of the things I mentioned that has made the western nations what they are today?. . .Where in the bible can separation of church and state advocated?. . .What about capitalism?. . .Democracy?. . .Secular education and naturalistic scientific inquiry?. . .What about equality of the sexes?. . .Freedom of speech and association?. . .

Ken Miller is a christian and christianity does not agree with his position that humans evolved from hominid apes. . .

You and I both know that I no matter what arguments I offered, we would simply keep going back and forth. If you want to, you can read Mr. Habermas' paper. At the very least, it should make you realize that it's not as black and white as you think.

It's interesting that the rise of abstract science in the western world is also attributed to monotheism in Judeo-Christianity. Alfred North Whitehead wrote a paper on it. You can read that as well.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by NativeBoy: 4:21pm On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

is religion also the reason we cannot provide good roads, security, water and jobs for our citizens? Is religion the reason we have literally imported fraud to other countries? Lets get real and stop blaming religion for 100% of Nigeria's problems. As i said earlier, let the atheists stand up and show us how it would be different without religion then perhaps we can give it a try.

This is the exact point I have tried to make here on NL for so long. Religion is not Africa, or even Nigeria's issue. So many on here like to talk about the Greeks, did religion stop Greece from scientific progress? No, the Greeks were so religious that it used to be said that there were more gods in Athens than people. Did religion stop the advance of Western Europe? The bulk majority of the science that still influences western and Eastern life stemmed from the mind of Christians. It's time we Nigerians owned up to our failings and stop blaming religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by NativeBoy: 4:35pm On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

you're lying and even you know that. America is unabashedly a christian nation... religion did not fail europe, it simply moved to the background because things actually work there. I must say the reason religion is so prevalent in africa is because that is the opium for a population that is largely poor, destitute and in need of something to numb the pain of an existence of misery.

and why do you think religion should have minimized corruption in nigeria? What are the atheists doing?

It's also interesting to note that all the schools, the great bastions of education all over the world were built by churches. Not only schools, but hospitals. Yet, religion is anti-progress?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 29, 2014
hmmmm .. where has all these billions of wasted bytes left us.. *shakes head*
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by logicboy01: 5:39pm On Sep 29, 2014
NativeBoy:

It's also interesting to note that all the schools, the great bastions of education all over the world were built by churches. Not only schools, but hospitals. Yet, religion is anti-progress?

^^^

I believe that this guy is worse than Joagbaje when it comes to lying for Jesus.

Sir, do you have any shame?

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 29, 2014
logicboy01:

lol.....

IT IS IRRELEVANT IF EVOLUTION IS TRUE OR FALSE, YOUR GOD AND RELIGION STILL REMAIN UNSCIENTIFIC AND MYTHOLOGICAL DESPITE THE VALIDITY/INVALIDITY OF EVOLUTION.

Evolution remains of of the most tested theories in the science world. I am yet to see any anti-evolutionist provide any solid disproval of the theory.

there are fossils and dna evidence. I dont know what more you are looking for. You just want to be a dishonest tool.

Please, cite the evidence that evolution is lacking as a scientific theory.
he simply doesnt know how evolution works
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2014
davidylan:

you're lying and even you know that. America is unabashedly a christian nation... religion did not fail europe, it simply moved to the background because things actually work there. I must say the reason religion is so prevalent in africa is because that is the opium for a population that is largely poor, destitute and in need of something to numb the pain of an existence of misery.

and why do you think religion should have minimized corruption in nigeria? What are the atheists doing?

America is a religious free nation, her founding fathers founded it no religion.

Do you wanna argue that?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by mazaje(m): 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2014
NativeBoy:

You and I both know that I no matter what arguments I offered, we would simply keep going back and forth. If you want to, you can read Mr. Habermas' paper. At the very least, it should make you realize that it's not as black and white as you think.

It's interesting that the rise of abstract science in the western world is also attributed to monotheism in Judeo-Christianity. Alfred North Whitehead wrote a paper on it. You can read that as well.

Sure, its not as black and white, but I don't really need the opinion of people that are clearly false no matter how well placed they are. . .Christianity has contributed to western development but the majority of the principles that rapidly pushed the west to where it is today which i outlined earlier are non christian principles. . .
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by thehomer: 7:16pm On Sep 29, 2014
NativeBoy:

This is an example of the genetic fallacy. The fact that churches build schools doesn't mean they weren't anti-progress. Secondly, churches had all the money and virtually ran the countries so of course they'll be the ones to build schools. Today, schools are generally built by governments.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by davien(m): 9:37pm On Oct 02, 2014
davidylan:

and [ b] why do you think religion should have minimized corruption in nigeria? What are the atheists doing? [/b]
Because the religions in Nigeria all impose "moral codes" that adherents rarely follow... and atheists are in hiding because of the inhumane codes that they actually do follow... :-/
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 1:33am On Oct 09, 2014
frank317:

whats this? seriously? is this what God is to u? thn you must be worshiping the same of with my muslim friend, this was the same way he described Allah.
perhaps i should rephrase, please describe this eternal and uncaused being.

I cant describe to you what you have no desire to understand
Plus help yourself to a Bible if you wish to know the description of the Uncaused, that would help me reduce the stress of typing.

well, i got the idea that he gets jelous, angry, unhappy, loves praises, has foot, from the bible. perhaps you are not a christian.

Well You got the idea.. and Honestly, your idea is very much irrelevant. You could ask me why

the complexity of a human is enough for me to understand that your eternal and uncaused created the world? how? why is it your uncaused and eternal and not Buddha?

You'd have to believe first before I can answer this, there's no point explainin' to you if you lack the belief.

sorry for using 'we', but i am glad that you said each person is attached to his own belief. my problem is that despite knowing this, you think the believe you are attached to is right and the one other people are attached to is wrong. the eternal and uncaused changer indeed. now i know u know how the world came to be.

Apology Accepted grin grin grin
Nowhere did I state the bolded, this is just one of your basic assumptions
and who are the "Other People" if I may Ask...

ya right, 'the eternal and uncaused' dont care if people worship him, he is not ready to impose worshiping him on anyone, yet he created hell in case humans decide other wise. why exactly does the eternal and uncaused need worship from humans like the way a child needs breast milk? i am angry you worship the uncaused and eternal? lol, if you like worship 'the caused and the dead' who cares?
provide the answer... the uncaused and eternal is a writer too?

Clearly, God did not impose Worship on you..that my friend is the argument.. Hell is far from it..
The same way a Lecturer will not force you to read, but will fail you should you choose to read and answer correctly questions he's asked of you..'
The Choice and the Punishment are two different things, don't get confused

l will rephrase, he hates when unmarried people have sex, when a husband lies to his wife, when a woman dresses like a man, when you dont pay your tithe. your uncaused and eternal sound so so human to me, how again did he get the title, uncaused and eternal?

God hates sin, those things/acts you have mentioned are acts of sin, unmarried people having sex clearly does have a lot of disadvantages 1. HIV 2. Unwanted Pregnancy e.t.c #ListTooLong

whats this? pls stop asking silly questions and answer my question. how comes your uncaused and eternal acts like a human? he hates things humans hate.

Running away from the truth of the argument.. I'll rephrase
If you don't believe in God, how did you come to the conclusion that God is so human? Talk about confusing yourself.
God id God .. He is Uncaused

ya, i get your analogy... it just fulfills a psychological need need to you. now i understand. just look at yourself. look at the reason you gave me you worship the uncaused and eternal. i just hope your parents were there for you when growing up. you actually sound like someone who didnt see his parents as a kid.

Shockingly I did have my parents with me and still I have them, lovely and wonderful they are.
Plus if it just fulfills a psychological need, then it's not entirely important you conform to such needs.. Can you tell me why you do not go gang-banging, steal or rape

what? i can see you lack words... oh all about psychological experience right? no wonder you worship the uncaused and eternal.

Reminds me of the phrase "Once your loosing an argument, start correcting their Grammar"
we both know this leads nowhere..

how is it quite senseless
? his existence shouldnt be his business? if he exists and is hiding, how does that affect me? is it not his choice?

It is quite senseless cuz the idea/thought behind it was senseless, it still is senseless and it's becomin' Boorin'...

how did i question the word of the eternal and uncaused, oh he is a writer, sorry. he is not answerable to us and when i say his existence is his business you say the statement is baseless. if he cant answer my nagging question of what use is he to me. [b]now you want me to believe he is a writer? please tell me again, is the uncaused and eternal a human?[/b]

Now You are a comedian...

dont you think the fact that you are here arguing him only means he not really a reality? Can anyone doubt that you have an earthly mother?
please answer it. the uncaused and eternal wrote a book filled with [b]contradiction and more questions than answer
. Wole Soyinka's book is much clearer and direct than the one written by ur uncaused causer, yet you have to defend him day and night. how real can he be? can anyone doubt that your mother exist?
[/b]
Do point out the supposed contradictions and I will clarify you misconceptions

not believing in a creator serves no function. believin' in yourself serves better function... now whats the function of believin' in a creator?

Grab a Bible.. The answer's written in it.. Don't expect to be spoon fed everytime

lol. what is the function of believing in God, the eternal and uncaused.

Refer to the Above
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Fidelis123: 5:43am On Oct 06, 2015
I don't expect every body to be athiest because not everyone have what it takes to be athiest,
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Fidelis123: 5:55am On Oct 06, 2015
God is nothing more than man's imagination, God did not create man_ primitive men created God to give hope to the hopeless and to solve the misery of the origin of good and bad and the existence of all things.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Fidelis123: 7:46am On Oct 06, 2015
When some people here you say there is no God, their first question will be 'if there is no God who created you and how did you come into existence, did you actually fall from the sky?' but let me ask you these questions have you ever asked yourself if God exist who created him or how he come into existence without passing through a creation? If God self exist without being created that proves that human can possibly self exist without being created no doubt. There is no creator!!! Every thing come on it own (self exist,) some people are religious because they fail to use their brain and even if they think they think on one direction they believe that as far it's written in the Bible or Quran and that is all. Ask yourself, because Bible/Quran says it is inspired by God does that really mean or prove it is inspired? Because Bible says it does that really mean it is true? No. The Bible has proved itself wrong and erronous in many places starting from the Genesis, how morning came and evening came when the sun which is the source of day and night have not been created on the forth day. How erronous! That alone is a prove that primitive men wrote the Bible the little they know and understand about the universe is what they wrote.
There is no God of creation. There is no scientific research that point to creation. There is no how God can say he created all things God cannot exist before space, matter and time. If he exist before space then where were him before he created things? Where were him occupying? Did he actually exist before he created were he later occupy? We human can we say we exist before earth or space we occupy? No. So the mathematics shows that God of creation is not possible. Self existence is possible...
I want you to re-examine your faith if you're intelligent and think about this always if it can be possible for God to self exist can't it be possible for human, planet,stars etc to self exist? Good luck I'm 25yrs-old boy once a believer like you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Weah96: 9:06am On Oct 06, 2015
The internet will lay waste to religion. Most religious people aren't religious anyway, especially the pastors. It's difficult to be holy when your job constitutes telling lies all day.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Fidelis123: 9:33pm On Oct 07, 2015
Forget what you think... God of creation is not possible,
Self existence is possible.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Nandip: 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
And why are there so many bunch of Christians in Nigeria?
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Kudducini(m): 3:49am On Oct 29, 2015
This Is What They Ask If We Were Born By Some One And (He) God Created Us In His Own Image Then God Was Also Born By A Woman
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by waldigit: 5:28am On Oct 29, 2015
logicboy01:
1) Religion has failed Nigeria

2) More and more Nigerians are travelling abroad and seeing how Europe and China/Japan are progressing without much belief in God

3) More and more Nigerian have access to information on the internet

4) THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR GOD

There is evidence for God that are so easy for simple mind to understand:
1 I am the first evidence a living super machine
2 the nature is another simple evidence. All creatures including man obeys its laws. Science and tech is merely about knowing how to obey the laws of nature to achieve a set of objectives.
I rest my case for now.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Liminedo(m): 11:50am On Feb 09, 2016
oluwabambam:
I was just reading a post on Nairaland some minutes ago where the topic was on what constitutes a God-fearing individual. Someone commented adding that he/she is an atheist and that got me wondering. I have been seeing so many atheists on social media in Nigeria and it bothers me why there are so many of them nowadays. Are people now saying that there is no God? Do people mean that they don't believe in the creator of the universe? How did they come into existence if they don't believe in God. God created us all and this is what the Bible says. What is it with all these atheists? I want to understand why anyone would come to the conclusion that there is no God. It baffles me seriously. I need answers.

* I think, what was not asked but implied by OP is why is Islam and Christianity the dominant religions in Nigeria.
* Now, just to clarify, I will leave out any mention of atheism. Just because some one shares a different conviction from you should not merit condemnation.
* Now back to my train of thought. Have you seriously read any other holy book apart from the bible. Try it and you may learn something.
* Most of the people who you call atheist, are just thinkers. They looked at the evidence, most of time, after a long life of indoctrination, and decided the conclusion does not support the existence of a God, any God. Not just your Christian God. But also, Allah, Krishna, oduduwa, olodumare, sango, Zeus, amadioha etc just to keep it short.
* Now, if you are a patient human being, who sincerely was seeking an answer to this dilemma, just look at God from other perspectives and not just that of your faith.
1. If God was truly, universal, why us it that even in the Christian faith, perception of him varies from street to street. Read, read read not just the bible, but criticisms of the bible. The Torah,the Quran, the holy book if the Hindus. If at the end of your search, you are still with God, any God. Then it is of your choosing.

Summary: read other holy books to get a broader perspective of religion. Read scholarly criticisms of the bible with an open to learn more about it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Liminedo(m): 12:05pm On Feb 09, 2016
'Fear not those who do not believe in God, fear rather, those who will lie, rape, cheat and even kill IN his name'

The Israelites ( not present day Israel) were a warrior tribe, who are today reverred as the chosen people, please.

Imagine, if boko haram told you they are the chosen people, would you take them seriously. Think about that. All that killing in gods name, that's what turned me off the bible.

A famous background material on the life of Jesus, a critical analysis: Ernest Renan: ' The life of Jesus'. Free on Amazon kindle.

My view is, be a Christian, Muslim, Hindu or any other faith you want to practice, but do not demonize those who do not agree with you.

Atheism is not a faith, no one is Asanta ( unbelief in existence of Santa), Afairy.

And to lessen your shock, most non- fanatical Christians, are sceptical about God, but what's the alternative.
Re: Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? by Niflheim(m): 4:16pm On Feb 09, 2016
When men of god make false predictions(Tunde Bakare), you begin to ask yourself whether.....
1.He truely heard from a god who makes false predictions.............
or 2. He made it all up because the so called holy ghost does not exist

When you also read the foolish dung in the bible about 4 legged insects, you ask yourself whether.........
1.God does not know how to count.............
or 2.Cockroaches in the past had 4 feet, but evolved to grow 6 feet
Which makes you wonder why they suffer from Denialism(a mental illness), wherever Evolution is concerned!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Natural Man, Spiritual Man Or Carnal Man? / My Friend's Wedding Was Cancelled! / Why Is Apostolic Faith Church So Quiet Among The Pentecostal Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.