Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory (7221 Views)

Science Explains Why Men Get Erections In The Morning / Why Men Get Erections In The Morning! / Reasons Men Get Erections In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by MizMyColi(f): 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2014

Okay, first off, this would have been better coming from a guy.
But it's a very recent topic and was being discussed among my FB friends so I thought to share here smiley
I thought to post in the sexuality section, but I didn't want the topic bastardized.

It’s an amusing, albeit often highly inconvenient phenomenon that half of the world’s population has to deal with on a regular basis. So what's the science story behind that morning glory? Let’s find out.

Morning glories, or Nocturnal Penile Tumescence (NPT) as they are correctly called, are spontaneous erections that occur during sleep or while waking up. All blokes without erectile dysfunction are graced with them and they normally occur around three to five times during sleep.

If it’s any consolation, men aren’t completely alone—women also get clitoral erections and vaginal engorgement during sleep, and various nonhuman mammals also get NPT. NPT actually starts in utero, or in the womb (seriously), and continues throughout life.

While a few different theories have been proposed over the years to explain NPT, what causes it still remains uncertain. NPT, just like clitoral erections, is associated with REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. One idea is that during REM sleep, noradrenergic cells (neurons that release the neurotransmitter noradrenaline [norepinephrine]) located in an area of the pons (part of the brainstem) called the locus coeruleus are switched off. It is thought that these cells are associated with the inhibitory tone of the penis; therefore, when their activity is reduced during REM sleep, testosterone-dependent excitatory tones can be expressed which result in an erection.

It’s also been suggested that NPT is triggered by the release of nitric oxide (NO). NO is released by cells that line the inside of blood vessels which then diffuses into smooth muscle, causing it to relax. This also causes blood vessels to dilate, hence increasing blood flow to the penis and voila, an erection. It’s thought that increased activity of part of the pons during REM sleep triggers a cascade of events that ultimately lead to NO release by nerve fibers. This is also regulated by androgens such as testosterone.

So we have discussed how, but what about why? One idea is that these sleep exercises actually contribute to the health of your penis. Erections cause the erectile tissue (corpora cavernosa) to swell, which in turn oxygenates the tissue. This oxygenation maintains its viability and helps to prevent cavernous fibrosis, a condition that can ultimately lead to erectile dysfunction.

Another interesting theory is that pitching a tent prevents men from wetting the bed. There are two main types of erections: psychogenic and reflex. The former starts with stimulating thoughts or images which trigger an erection via nerve signals. The latter is an involuntary process that occurs without sexy thoughts and it's believed that a full bladder can trigger them. The nerves controlling these reflex erections are located in the sacral nerves of the spinal cord which are also stimulated by a full bladder. Since it’s difficult to pee with a stiffy, it’s thought that NPT may prevent accidental nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting). While this may sound plausible, it seems unlikely because the body has lots of other methods to prevent you from wetting the bed. Furthermore, it doesn't really make sense given that nocturnal enuresis also affects women.

It seems the most likely explanation is that all of that nighttime mischief is really helping to keep your crown jewels healthy. Be pleased he’s looking out for you.
wink

Source

4 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Blakjewelry(m): 4:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
So, e dey happen to woman too?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by constance500: 4:15pm On Sep 10, 2014
When I first saw the topic.. I was like "is she referring to the she-males" grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by mako007(m): 4:22pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hmmm, in all of this I guess its to ready the body for the days head start wink

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Nawao. Woman erecti... Hmm

This is crios
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by KelvinGraphics(m): 4:28pm On Sep 10, 2014
Enhen, is that so??
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
I will have to ask boyfy.
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Dayjhihannon01(m): 4:35pm On Sep 10, 2014
MizMyColi:
But it's a very recent topic and was being discussed among my FB friends so I thought to share here smiley
I thought to post in the sexuality section, but I didn't want the topic bastardized.

It’s an amusing, albeit often highly inconvenient phenomenon that half of the world’s population has to deal with on a regular basis. So what's the science story behind that morning glory? Let’s find out.

Morning glories, or Nocturnal Penile Tumescence (NPT) as they are correctly called, are spontaneous erections that occur during sleep or while waking up. All blokes without erectile dysfunction are graced with them and they normally occur around three to five times during sleep.

If it’s any consolation, men aren’t completely alone—women also get clitoral erections and vaginal engorgement during sleep, and various nonhuman mammals also get NPT. NPT actually starts in utero, or in the womb (seriously), and continues throughout life.

While a few different theories have been proposed over the years to explain NPT, what causes it still remains uncertain. NPT, just like clitoral erections, is associated with REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. One idea is that during REM sleep, noradrenergic cells (neurons that release the neurotransmitter noradrenaline [norepinephrine]) located in an area of the pons (part of the brainstem) called the locus coeruleus are switched off. It is thought that these cells are associated with the inhibitory tone of the penis; therefore, when their activity is reduced during REM sleep, testosterone-dependent excitatory tones can be expressed which result in an erection.

It’s also been suggested that NPT is triggered by the release of nitric oxide (NO). NO is released by cells that line the inside of blood vessels which then diffuses into smooth muscle, causing it to relax. This also causes blood vessels to dilate, hence increasing blood flow to the penis and voila, an erection. It’s thought that increased activity of part of the pons during REM sleep triggers a cascade of events that ultimately lead to NO release by nerve fibers. This is also regulated by androgens such as testosterone.

So we have discussed how, but what about why? One idea is that these sleep exercises actually contribute to the health of your penis. Erections cause the erectile tissue (corpora cavernosa) to swell, which in turn oxygenates the tissue. This oxygenation maintains its viability and helps to prevent cavernous fibrosis, a condition that can ultimately lead to erectile dysfunction.

Another interesting theory is that pitching a tent prevents men from wetting the bed. There are two main types of erections: psychogenic and reflex. The former starts with stimulating thoughts or images which trigger an erection via nerve signals. The latter is an involuntary process that occurs without sexy thoughts and it's believed that a full bladder can trigger them. The nerves controlling these reflex erections are located in the sacral nerves of the spinal cord which are also stimulated by a full bladder. Since it’s difficult to pee with a stiffy, it’s thought that NPT may prevent accidental nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting). While this may sound plausible, it seems unlikely because the body has lots of other methods to prevent you from wetting the bed. Furthermore, it doesn't really make sense given that nocturnal enuresis also affects women.

It seems the most likely explanation is that all of that nighttime mischief is really helping to keep your crown jewels healthy. Be pleased he’s looking out for you.
wink

Source

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1693360_morning_glory_jpeg9164e9a4b227e68a7908fcc504465128

So what else do you want us to say after all diz ur explanations.... cheesy You xplained it all.. And diz kinda knowledgeable piece can come from only MizMyColi.. grin grin ... Hi5 for you

Meanwilli, funny enof when I was sec sch I tink, some1 says Mr Junior must also awake to the Muslim Prayer calling @ dawn.... grin grin can't laff, you make my day... cheesy cheesy

MODS good to know we now have MY SHARE on our menu as suggested.... Good Job mr Seun... And Oliver will still ask for more.... The ability to delete ur posts and topics.... And it will be too super if we can have our PMs right on here..... grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by zicoraads: 4:49pm On Sep 10, 2014
FrankySnow: I will have to ask boyfy.
Ask loff grin kiss grin
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 10, 2014
zicoraads: Ask loff grin kiss grin
Lol.

Answer the question.
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by MabraO: 6:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
Thinking of wot to comment
Any help pls?
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by dre11(m): 6:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
I always hate biology class

So if I was serious and did attend the class regularly and was a dutiful student.....

Maybe I could have provide u with the necessary response to this thread ....

But, why do the females shake their head and sometimes hiss anytime they see a guy who just woke up from sleep early in the morning and seeing his erection from his boxer or short.......
Can the ladies in the house pls provide answer to this
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by crackhaus: 7:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
Interesting gringrin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Clinton594(m): 7:49pm On Sep 10, 2014
I'm not a medical practitioner buh I think I can make a guess.
I cant say for 'em ladies shaaa oh
alright, when a guy gets pressed say urine-wise and he holds it back for closely 3-4-5 hours....
He gets super pressed and at that time he start getting erections. When he's ready to release the urine; the pencil is still standing until after some minutes when he's through with the excretion , the John thomas starts relaxing.

It's not too different from the phenomenon of sleep.. .... You're not aware you're pressed for so long when You're asleep at night Until you're awake. Some minutes after you've released the excreta then you pencil relaxes.
I guess its the urine pushing the thing up.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Tallesty1(m): 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2014
Any day I wake up and not feel "a thing" then It means I'm sick.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2014
Bcus kongi de sweet dat time pass
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Kajiang02(m): 12:42am On Sep 11, 2014
Op,
The article's explanation is too techy for me Jor. I like the Urine explanation, whereby when you hold urine for a while at night, once JT could be on the rise but the JTs don't rise like that during the day even when urine is held for 7-10hrs.

Why do I just love this lady. @MizMyColi

Btw, have you looked into my earlier request on the other thread to check the Literature section?
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by MizMyColi(f): 8:31am On Sep 11, 2014
Kajiang02: Op,
The article's explanation is too techy for me Jor. I like the Urine explanation, whereby when you hold urine for a while at night, once JT could be on the rise but the JTs don't rise like that during the day even when urine is held for 7-10hrs.

Why do I just love this lady. @MizMyColi

Btw, have you looked into my earlier request on the other thread to check the Literature section?

Honestly?
I haven't.
I should done that last night after pickabeau's invite, but.....I was too scared of that story embarassed
I'll check irrout later today.
Thanks smiley
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by spanzed(m): 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
Never knew women experience erection...thanks for opening my eyes OP

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by daveP(m): 7:53pm On Sep 11, 2014
More like an ignition key, proving its still alive. Ive come across this question in particular. Couldnt give detailed explanation wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Waspy(m): 11:47pm On Sep 12, 2014
I guess i'll go with the urine school of thought
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by iconize(m): 9:12pm On Sep 14, 2014
Hey Mizmycoli, write what peeps can easily read without using a retinal scan.
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by MizMyColi(f): 9:45pm On Sep 14, 2014
iconize: Hey Mizmycoli, write what peeps can easily read without using a retinal scan.

I used a georgia font size 12 for the OP

Surely, you need no retinal scan for that.
wink
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by iconize(m): 9:50pm On Sep 14, 2014
MizMyColi:
I used a georgia font size 12 for the OP

Surely, you need no retinal scan for that.
wink

Do you need to sign a paper before you can write like others do?
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by MizMyColi(f): 9:53pm On Sep 14, 2014
iconize:

Do you need to sign a paper before you can write like others do?

Nope.

I was born this way, a non-conformistwink.
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by experimentist: 11:55pm On Sep 14, 2014
MizMyColi:

wink

Source

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1693360_morning_glory_jpeg9164e9a4b227e68a7908fcc504465128

Nasty girl
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by benosky(m): 8:42am On Sep 15, 2014
experimentist: Nasty girl
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by seedorfg(m): 9:39am On Sep 15, 2014
More grease 2 ur Elbow @missmycoli

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by Obinoscopy(m): 4:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
Clitoral erections? Hmmmmmm.
Re: Why Do Men (Women Too) Get Erections In The Morning AKA Morning Glory by MizMyColi(f): 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
shocked ^^^
That shouldn't concern you as muchwink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Women Wear Rapex Condoms Here In Nigeria? / How Can I Get A Cottonwool That Got Stuck Inside My Leftear Out? / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.