Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,499 members, 7,801,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road (19057 Views)

Fatal Accident On Lagos-ore Road Leaves Many Dead (graphic Pics) / Accident Involving Truck And Bus On Ore-Lagos, Today (Photos) / Passenger Bus Falls Into Lagoon Along Ijebu Ode-ore Expressway (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by tonjeola(m): 6:14pm On Sep 10, 2014
sorry, na so dem dey do.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by ahika(m): 6:14pm On Sep 10, 2014
[quote author=Zehner][/quote]

That's true. After going through other people's post I discovered that it had once been on Nl Front Page
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Zehner(f): 6:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
ahika: o! Okay. #casedismissed then. smiley

That's true. After going through other people's post I discovered that it had once been on Nl Front Page
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by sweettease(f): 6:20pm On Sep 10, 2014
Femosticap: Ignorant comments like this are so annoying...I just wanna ....*aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh*!!! Firstly I fnk u must be Ibo...a guy had an experience dis teRrible and spent useful time sharing for all to learn and the only thing that caught ur attention is the PRICE?! Gosh!!! Secondly, u are quite inconsiderate to his plight at the time! Try travelling inter-state via a road network like the one described and the car develops a fault with ur kids at the back! You will pay ur last penny to get out of that situation! If however, 'bargaining' becomes ur priority at that time, then u gatto understand ma'am....u don't deserve those children! Well...like they say...''Pesin wey no go, no know"!
Oga, calm down and stop being a tribalist cos I'm not even Igbo, it was obvious he will spend money but 113k for what wasn't faulty? Those guys are usually cheap criminals that would have done it for less than half of what he paid if he had gone about it the right way especially since he realised what they were doing, do you even know the situation I've gone through? No one is saying he should make money his priority when his kids are there but if you don't know how to be street wise in Nigeria, you will end up a mugu one too many times.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by 36STATES: 6:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
They tried this on me in 2004, but I was just too smart for those motherfookers. I arrived Nigeria and was driving east in my compressor mercedes with my girl friend when I noticed some people pointing at my wheel along those god foresaking villages along Benin Ore rd . What raised my suspicion was that everybody or should I say the whole community was pointing at different tyres. After passing about ten of those hamlets, I decided to park to see what was amiss. The speed the whole village swamped on me to offer "help" convinced me beyound doubt that those people are up to something evil. I was lucky to notice when one of the kids of about 8 or 9 yrs old spilled some kind of oil on the right front wheel because I had already alighted from my car before they could reach us and I was very vigilant. While some were pointing at the tyres some where already trying to lift the bonnet up. It was just unbelievable. As soon I as I caught their joke, I drove off in anger brushing two of them. I was lost for words and couldn't find good semantcs to explain the whole thing to my girl friend who was watching the whole drama from her seat and not used to the criminal mindset of avarage Nigeria not to talk of a whole community as she's foreigner. How could a whole community as a unit decide to be that evil? Nigeria is indeed a land of evil.

11 Likes

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by ahika(m): 6:24pm On Sep 10, 2014
Zehner: Sure.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by chiboyo(m): 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
I would have fallen victim to these guys just 2 weeks ago!!, my friend sitting beside me simply told me not to listen to them, insofar as I did not feel any vibrations, later drove into a filling station and did not see any fault. This issue seems to be localized within the benin-ore expressway
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by nairaman66(m): 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
EddyNumerouno: ok, your story has too many holes
1.oil splashed on a hot rim will produce smoke, making you to be alarmed.
2. what were you doing when you had two tires and hubs loosened? (and i'll also assume the tires were smoking due to the oil, so you had smoking tires and didnt bother to check what was they were doing shocked shocked shocked shocked)
3.thank God for atms, how many people travel with 113,000 naira lying around the car? (plausible, so i'll let this one slide)
4. i'll assume your car transformed into a 2014 model car in the workshop (the only way to explain the astrometrical rise in price of spare parts (the point of this scam is to make you pay for parts gotten from another poor chap and yours will be sold likewise...so i'll assume the parts werent brand new)

this your story get as e be, therefore; story for the Gods Q.E.D

You hit the nail more than once on the head! Please give us some clarification to clear the air@OP

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
sweettease:
Oga, calm down and stop being a tribalist cos I'm not even Igbo, it was obvious he will spend money but 113k for what wasn't faulty? Those guys are usually cheap criminals that would have done it for less than half of what he paid if he had gone about it the right way especially since he realised what they were doing, do you even know the situation I've gone through? No one is saying he should make money his priority when his kids are there but if you don't know how to be street wise in Nigeria, you will end up a mugu one too many times.
lol...not been a tribalist Oº°˚˚°º . This' the 'womanly' part of you coming out I guess...however u shud show more empathy to the OP's post...
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Jabioro: 6:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
I guess u r inexperience driva,u got in a bita way.hw can hub get problem n won't feel it 2 steering,ur hub can get broke at benin,and it would only make noise to lagos,ur tyre wobbling u will notice such easily when every body would wobble along..any sorry.big lesson in a bita way.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by nairaman66(m): 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2014
36STATES: They tried this on me in 2004, but I was just too smart for those motherfookers. I arrived Nigeria and was driving east in my compressor mercedes with my girl friend when I noticed some people pointing at my wheel along those god foresaking villages along Benin Ore rd . What raised my suspicion was that everybody or should I say the whole community was pointing at different tyres. After passing about ten of those hamlets, I decided to park to see what was amiss. The speed the whole village swamped on me to offer "help" convinced me beyound doubt that those people are up to something evil. I was lucky to notice when one of the kids of about 8 or 9 yrs old spilled some kind of oil on the right front wheel because I had already alighted from my car before they could reach us and I was very vigilant. While some were pointing at the tyres some where already trying to lift the bonnet up. It was just unbelievable. As soon I as I caught their joke, I drove off in anger brushing two of them. I was lost for words and couldn't find good semantcs to explain the whole thing to my girl friend who was watching the whole drama from her seat and not used to the criminal mindset of avarage Nigeria not to talk of a whole community as she's foreigner. How could a whole community as unit decide to be that evil? Nigeria is indeed a land of evil.

Nigeria is not, maybe the community is.. Please stop generalizing!

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by phadat(m): 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2014
I had a similar experience about 4 year's ago , after they gave me their extravagant price I calmly picked my phone and pretended I was calling my spare part dealer for a better deal , when they saw I was persistent they had to settle for what I was offering them, cos I told them I will rather have the guy bring the parts to me from Benin, later I got to know that it was all a scam when I told my friend about my experience

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 10, 2014
Dexema: Nigerians! And we go dy shout say na govt finish dis country whereas the populace get decayed mentality and lacks integrity.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, yes the government is rotten to the core but the average nigerian is the worst offender of all.

Ordinary people work at Nepa
Ordinary people work at water
Ordinary people defacate all over the place
Ordinary people take bribes
Ordinary people piss just anyhow
Ordinary people throw trash all over the place.

Nigerians, be the change that you want.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by kingDRIS(m): 6:49pm On Sep 10, 2014
Zehner: Eya sorry about your experience Op but this is actually a well known trick along that axis and it's been going on for years now.

hey Miss
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Zehner(f): 6:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
kingDRIS: hey
hey Miss
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by kingDRIS(m): 6:55pm On Sep 10, 2014
MissBritney: That's so sad.

hey Miss
how are u ?
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
Road side mechanics are always on highways to scam people. I once fell for it t shagamu but paid just 3k and promised to pay 5k into the guy's account the following day. I obviously didn't pay it.
In this Nigeria ehn, u gotta be shap!!
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Kirinwa: 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
donem: very funny story, besides the money u spent with additional 20k would hav been enough 4 u peeps to travel by Air.

You travel with flying coffin. Planes in this country crash now and then. Case of Sosoliso, Bellview etc
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by PeckNARM: 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hmm worst that happen to me was on route to asaba from abuja! I entered a gallop and my radiator broke /leaked!(not that I knew immediately! This was somewhere in Edo state before okpella! Worst thing is I was with a foreigner and a fully loaded car! This was around 5:30pm! 7pm we were still in the bush!(at this point I separated 150k in my pocket and tucked it into my sock I was wearing! Managed to get a number for a car to tow us! Voice on phone said 25k shocked !At that point I knew I was in soup! I had a 3k estimate in my mind! Told him 6k last he should think about it! 20mins later still no word from him angry! Had 2 call him back told him why haven't I heard from him! He said he's on he's way put ill pay 10k! I said no 7k! When he arrived you won't believe he was with 5guys all speaking what I presume to be Edo or something! I was worried but had no option! On top of that we towed car with one Flat tyre which eventually shredded!After 15 long minutes of towing finally got to destination not before the criminal demanded 1k extra! Long story short was a terrible day! Stayed in a dingy hotel in okpella 2.5k per night!Following morning! Bought brand new radiator and tire 10k /4k respectively not including workmanship! If I hadn't had a bad enough 24hours already! FRSC stopped me talking the most shit! License this/Front tire worn out/ Said they'll seize my car shocked! Then decided they'll seize my original document instead so as for me to make a payment into a certain account! I told them that's an inconvenience that we need a swifter resolution (fast forward) Had to part with 7k sad ! GOD BLESS NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Alabsworld(m): 7:09pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sorry bro, I experienced same thing along ogbulafar nd Otu junction in Enugu on my way to kaduna, my wife made me to stop saying My whole family r in D car as dey flanked me to stop dat my tire is shaking. Dey r thiefs
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by PassingShot(m): 7:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
EddyNumerouno: ok, your story has too many holes
1.oil splashed on a hot rim will produce smoke, making you to be alarmed.
2. what were you doing when you had two tires and hubs loosened? (and i'll also assume the tires were smoking due to the oil, so you had smoking tires and didnt bother to check what was they were doing shocked shocked shocked shocked)
3.thank God for atms, how many people travel with 113,000 naira lying around the car? (plausible, so i'll let this one slide)
4. i'll assume your car transformed into a 2014 model car in the workshop (the only way to explain the astrometrical rise in price of spare parts (the point of this scam is to make you pay for parts gotten from another poor chap and yours will be sold likewise...so i'll assume the parts werent brand new)

this your story get as e be, therefore; story for the Gods Q.E.D

ITK - I too know.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by soldierdollar(m): 7:21pm On Sep 10, 2014
sweettease:

Are u even dumb ? undecided He knew it wasn't faulty and he had to spend his money ? Can't you see he was duped into believing his rims were faulty by splashing oil on them ? If he had known the actual price he wouldn't have paid 10 times the actual price .

Your suggestion sounded childish . I mean , if you think he knew he was being duped ( or he knew his car wasn't faulty ) , then why on earth will you advise him to bargain with them ? Are u going to bargain with people if u knew they were cheap criminals as u described them ?
Like asking your son , " why did you fail question number two in maths ?" Will he fail it if he knew the answer ?

He only realized he has been duped , maybe cause he got home and a friend of his educated him.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by wrench: 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
Pathetic
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Lucasbalo(m): 7:32pm On Sep 10, 2014
Dexema: Nigerians! And we go dy shout say na govt finish dis country whereas the populace get decayed mentality and lacks integrity.
Gbam.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Daresh(f): 7:36pm On Sep 10, 2014
cyril10: I was on leave in mid August 2014 when I decided to travel to Lagos with my family. Before the leave started, I gave my car to my mechanic to service and to make sure everything is in order before we embark on the journey since I wouldn't want to put my little kids in jeopardy .

On the D-day, we left home early to atleast get to Lagos by 4-5 pm but it was not to be as I eventually fell into the hands of scamming mechanics along Benin-ore road which I later regretted for some time. The journey was very smooth from P/H to the point between Benin and Ore when I unluckily met with evil mechanics and their accomplices, as I was driving, a man on okada (bike) started pointing on my tyre that it is wobbling, I had to quickly stop did I quick turn around to a waiting mechanic that directed me to his shop, when I stopped, I discovered that oil was dripping from my tyre rim, it was later I discovered that they actually splashed oil on the rim but was too late, they have removed my 2 front tyres, removed my hubs to show that they were broken, they called motor parts seller one of the accomplice. The hub that should ordinarily cost 8-10 thousand cost me 40,000 naira each, at the end of it all I ended up wasting 113,000 naira. I have to share my experience here so as to warn people that travel on that route that they should ignore people like that mostly along Agbor- benin and Benin- ore roads.

Guy why now? Are you a learner? You never ever ever stop for anyoneon the road. If them like make dem lie down for road, DON'T STOP! Those guys are on the road looking for who to fall mugu. Sharp up!
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by skj1377(m): 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2014
tellwisdom: You paid 113,000?? angry....How much come be your car?? sad

BROS if you have a car whatever the model pray it never brakesdown on the high way simple. if it does N113,000 is not much o i tell you. i have had two experiences. one was in 2010 in my 2003 nissan maxima i lost the front left hub. i wish someone had pointed at the tires probably i would have taken note the hub started making noise in owo after akure, the noise started increasing till the car stopped at keffi bridge after abuja. i and my friend pushed it into a filling station nearby. I went to the atm and withdrew N100,000k (i always keep extra cash for stuff like this) i had only N4000 on me as i had already bought fuel for the rest of the journey. see how the money goes its very simple.
(1) the mechanic that diagnosed the fault and removed the hub i promised to pay him after i buy the part for the car and its fixed.
(2) taxi to abuja from keffi N3,000 he helped look for a hotel thats why
(3) hotel N7000 nice room with good security at otako near chisco park
(4) dinner, brakefast and credit to tell all that care that my car is down and cant make it to bauchi N3,000
(5) taxi to appo spare part market N1,500 i dont know the market i only explained to the taxi
(6) complete hub N62,000 with disk for 17 rim, brake callipers , bearing , sensor and hub with shock absorbers and spring. it will make the job more of a remove and fix for the mechanic .
(7) someone will ask N62k is much. remember if you buy in bits its only more expensive sensor alone is like N20k disc like N7k calliper like 12k hub N7k fixing with late machine another N7k shock absorber and spring N20k as at then and one part might not fit or will be unavailable. besides you need to move around more and probably wait till the next day for bearing to be fixed and stuff like that.
(cool back to keffi from appo N4000 by taxi
(9) security for the car at filling station N2000 paid in N100 notes looks plenty
(10) mechanic charged N4000 to fix
(11) after fixing we noticed the tire was also bad so i bought second hand tires N6,000 as the spare also had a lump due to over speeding into pothole.
(12) fixing and buying cost N1000 brake oil N500
(13) alignment and balancing N3000
total spent N94,000
cash at hand N104,000
cash left N104,000 - N94,000 = N10,000
N10000 and that was only me. now a family man will need to spend much more for both wife and kids. besides if the car had same problem in lagos i would have spent only half the cost.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by musicwriter(m): 7:42pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sorry about that but if you're a member of this forum and you still fall victim to this popular scam, then I will call you a mugu, I'm sorry.

This topic have been discused so many times on this forum and Nigerians duely warned.

Sometimes, I wonder how people make use of this site.

This site is not all about catching fun but there're wealth of information lying all over this site, almost every information anybody will ever need in Nigeria. Learn to make use of this site.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by InvertedHammer: 7:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
cyril10: I was on leave in mid August 2014 when I decided to travel to Lagos with my family. Before the leave started, I gave my car to my mechanic to service and to make sure everything is in order before we embark on the journey since I wouldn't want to put my little kids in jeopardy .

On the D-day, we left home early to atleast get to Lagos by 4-5 pm but it was not to be as I eventually fell into the hands of scamming mechanics along Benin-ore road which I later regretted for some time. The journey was very smooth from P/H to the point between Benin and Ore when I unluckily met with evil mechanics and their accomplices, as I was driving, a man on okada (bike) started pointing on my tyre that it is wobbling, I had to quickly stop did I quick turn around to a waiting mechanic that directed me to his shop, when I stopped, I discovered that oil was dripping from my tyre rim, it was later I discovered that they actually splashed oil on the rim but was too late, they have removed my 2 front tyres, removed my hubs to show that they were broken, they called motor parts seller one of the accomplice. The hub that should ordinarily cost 8-10 thousand cost me 40,000 naira each, at the end of it all I ended up wasting 113,000 naira. I have to share my experience here so as to warn people that travel on that route that they should ignore people like that mostly along Agbor- benin and Benin- ore roads.
\
No cause for alarm.

Most people that fall for this crap usually get robbed.

So...thank your stars.

/

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) / Truck Accident At Idiroko Road, Ota Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.