Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road (19070 Views)

Fatal Accident On Lagos-ore Road Leaves Many Dead (graphic Pics) / Accident Involving Truck And Bus On Ore-Lagos, Today (Photos) / Passenger Bus Falls Into Lagoon Along Ijebu Ode-ore Expressway (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
The OP is a liar. I find the amount outrageous. angry
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by johnsonaigbokie(m): 7:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
Had similar experience at Ore some 13yeas ago. So, it's an age long fraud
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
A customer called our office, telling us this same story. We immediately told him not to allow them loose his Tyre, that instead he should drive it like that until when it is safe for him to stop and observe things himself, which he did and this saved him from this experience. Till today he has not replaced any Tyre or rim.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by 19naia(m): 8:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
I will carry a special bag that says BioHazard and put a big label saying EBOLA EFFLUENT.. When they come near my car to have me heed their warning, they will have to re-assess their own plans to scam, after they see what game play is waiting for them in my car catching their eye so sweet.. Even My money they will fear when i touch the Ebola Bag and then reach to touch my money... I will even act sick like maybe i have caught contamination sef from my biohazard cargo.. The scammers must be made to fear people and fear being scammed themselves..
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by sweettease(f): 8:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
soldierdollar:

Are u even dumb ? undecided He knew it wasn't faulty and he had to spend his money ? Can't you see he was duped into believing his rims were faulty by splashing oil on them ? If he had known the actual price he wouldn't have paid 10 times the actual price .

Your suggestion sounded childish . I mean , if you think he knew he was being duped ( or he knew his car wasn't faulty ) , then why on earth will you advise him to bargain with them ? Are u going to bargain with people if u knew they were cheap criminals as u described them ?
Like asking your son , " why did you fail question number two in maths ?" Will he fail it if he knew the answer ?

He only realized he has been duped , maybe cause he got home and a friend of his educated him.

This one is obviously nairaland biggest olodo
Did you read the part where the op said he discovered after his two front tyres were removed or that he was charged 40k for what is usually 8-10k and I said he should have bargained because then he was already stranded. Friend of his educated him indeed grin ewu Gambia! It's because of children like you that the standard of waec and jamb is dropping in the country... You need to start from the basis, verbal reasoning and quantitative aptitude since you can't even read and comprehend a simple post. What da hell!

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by sweettease(f): 8:37pm On Sep 10, 2014
Femosticap: lol...not been a tribalist Oº°˚˚°º . This' the 'womanly' part of you coming out I guess...however u shud show more empathy to the OP's post...
of course I did... My mistake for not including that part.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Chinom(m): 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
Op's problem boils down to lack of experience. He also knows very little about cars. It must be his first time of travelling that route. It's a very old trick that most travellers know.

But to pay N113,000 is sheer ignorance. I sympathize with him and i hope he has learnt his lessons. For N35k he could have towed the car to Lagos assuming the damage was real.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by solara: 8:54pm On Sep 10, 2014
EddyNumerouno: ok, your story has too many holes
1.oil splashed on a hot rim will produce smoke, making you to be alarmed.
2. what were you doing when you had two tires and hubs loosened? (and i'll also assume the tires were smoking due to the oil, so you had smoking tires and didnt bother to check what was they were doing shocked shocked shocked shocked)
3.thank God for atms, how many people travel with 113,000 naira lying around the car? (plausible, so i'll let this one slide)
4. i'll assume your car transformed into a 2014 model car in the workshop (the only way to explain the astrometrical rise in price of spare parts (the point of this scam is to make you pay for parts gotten from another poor chap and yours will be sold likewise...so i'll assume the parts werent brand new)

this your story get as e be, therefore; story for the Gods Q.E.D

I have experienced the same thing... but in my own case I part ways with 2 dollars grin ... They thought it was worth more than 50 grand... lol

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by soldierdollar(m): 8:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
sweettease:
This one is obviously nairaland biggest olodo
Did you read the part where the op said he discovered after his two front tyres were removed or that he was charged 40k for what is usually 8-10k and I said he should have bargained because then he was already stranded. Friend of his educated him indeed grin ewu Gambia! It's because of children like you that the standard of waec and jamb is dropping in the country... You need to start from the basis, verbal aptitude and quantitative reasoning since you can't even read and comprehend a simple post. What da hell!

Hahahaha another dumb mother angry

You no do comprehension well for jamb at all. grin

After his two tyres were removed doesn't mean he discovered it immediately after his tyres were removed. The space of time "after" could even mean when he had gotten home.

Just like saying , " after I was robbed , I realized I could have averted it by leaving my laptop and wallet at home ". This doesn't mean he realized his mistake IMMEDIATELY he was robbed.

"or that he was charged 40k for what is usually 8-10k"
Sister , I can see that the phrase " what is usually 8-10k" Na em de confuse you . grin This is a story of his experience. Op could have known the actual price by taking a drive to the market and inquiring of the actual price after the incident . He wasn't saying he knew the price on the spot where he was duped ! He must have done his research before creating this thread . I no know how I go fit explain am again make you understand.

If you failed English in jamb , my kid niece can help you with some diction cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by stagger: 9:04pm On Sep 10, 2014
cyril10: I was on leave in mid August 2014 when I decided to travel to Lagos with my family. Before the leave started, I gave my car to my mechanic to service and to make sure everything is in order before we embark on the journey since I wouldn't want to put my little kids in jeopardy .

On the D-day, we left home early to atleast get to Lagos by 4-5 pm but it was not to be as I eventually fell into the hands of scamming mechanics along Benin-ore road which I later regretted for some time. The journey was very smooth from P/H to the point between Benin and Ore when I unluckily met with evil mechanics and their accomplices, as I was driving, a man on okada (bike) started pointing on my tyre that it is wobbling, I had to quickly stop did I quick turn around to a waiting mechanic that directed me to his shop, when I stopped, I discovered that oil was dripping from my tyre rim, it was later I discovered that they actually splashed oil on the rim but was too late, they have removed my 2 front tyres, removed my hubs to show that they were broken, they called motor parts seller one of the accomplice. The hub that should ordinarily cost 8-10 thousand cost me 40,000 naira each, at the end of it all I ended up wasting 113,000 naira. I have to share my experience here so as to warn people that travel on that route that they should ignore people like that mostly along Agbor- benin and Benin- ore roads.

This scam has been exposed here so many times it is still a wonder how folks fall for it.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by eu4real: 9:04pm On Sep 10, 2014
I actually fall a victim sometime last year october. but God help me, the hub they told me is #36,000 I finally endup spending just #4,000 within them (I.e d mechanics). when ever u are driving along that road just pray that ur vehicle don't get damage as a result of pothole on that express road. My own happen to me due to d potholes I enter but thank God because he rescue me.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by rotsey: 9:05pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sorry, tanx for sharing ur experience with us
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by Eyop: 9:05pm On Sep 10, 2014
soldierdollar:

After his two tyres were removed doesn't mean he discovered it immediately after his tyres were removed. The space of time "after" could even mean when he had gotten home.

Just like saying , " after I was robbed , I realized I could have averted it by leaving my laptop and wallet at home ". This doesn't mean he realized his mistake IMMEDIATELY he was robbed.

If you failed English in jamb , my kid niece can help you with some diction cheesy

Oga all the arguments won't bring back the OP's money. Rest the case smiley

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by soldierdollar(m): 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
Eyop:

The mother just de argue unnecessarily sad

1 Like

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by touchmeder: 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
Unfortunately u fell 4dis old trick. It was this same Nairaland I read about dis trick n got to know you need 2 keep driving. I also learnt if a raw egg is thrown @ ur windshield, don't use ur wiper wit water cos it will get worse n u won't see a thing; you just keep driving. Kpele op.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by dfos2k(m): 9:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sorry bro I had such experience last year august but didn't fall for it. They said fire, oh somthing fallin out! Even cars and bikes were used but we just fired straight to ph! Till date the Camry is rocking hahahahahh
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by sweettease(f): 10:38pm On Sep 10, 2014
soldierdollar:

"or that he was charged 40k for what is usually 8-10k"
Sister , I can see that the phrase " what is usually 8-10k" Na em de confuse you . grin This is a story of his experience. Op could have known the actual price by taking a drive to the market and inquiring of the actual price after the incident . He wasn't saying he knew the price on the spot where he was duped ! He must have done his research before creating this thread . I no know how I go fit explain am again make you understand.

What da hell! shocked Am I the only one seeing this? shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by aspirebig: 10:42pm On Sep 10, 2014
0p, pls next time travel with God is Good jeje and park the car, if u didnt trust it. Just that when you get to your destination, you wont have a ride to go round, but it is cheaper. 113k for what? Na so the money plenty? That is someone's annual salary ooo, or someon's one month pay too.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by igweamaka85(m): 11:31pm On Sep 10, 2014
your own is all about money money! you must love money so much i know ur type
Eyop:

Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by chnovpaul(m): 11:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
I had a similar experience along that same road...exactly what the OP described. I ended up spending close to N80, 000.

Only if I had read this much earlier.

Twas in December, 2013. I had set off from Oshogbo, Osun State to Awka, Anambra State with my 2000 S80. Prior to this journey, I had done a servicing of the vehicle, just to avoid something like this. Till I got to Ore, there was no problem. Just a couple of kilometers into the Benin-Ore expressway, someone on a bike pointed my attention to one of my tyres. Because of the stories I had heard previously about robbers and stuff on that road, I did not even bother.

Not too long from there, I met another guy on a bike who was still pointing at my front tyre. At that point, I became wary. So I slowed down because I felt that for two people to be pointing at something, then it means there's something actually wrong. Now, I realize that was my undoing. Stopping, I came out to look at the tire, and lo and behold, there was oil on the rim, and it was smoking. My brain never took into cognizance the fact I just came to understand now.

To cut the whole story short, the guy told me to go to Benjamin, a mechanic down the road. And guess what, I foolishly did...like a sheep led to the slaughter. Benjamin, seeing raw meat, jumped at the sight. He told me that if not for 'God', I would have lost my tyre on motion and would have been involved in an accident. Well, he told me most likely I had lost my drive shaft or something, can't even remember what he called it now.

Just like the poster's story, had to change both side's 'whatever he called it' after calling a parts dealer, who we both literally had to prostrate for before reducing the price of each from 40k to 35k.

Reading this, I'm so furious...and funny enough, the guy is still there, living large on other people's foolishness. And to think of the fact that he even told me to come visit when next I pass on the road.

I may even need to do that! cry cry
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by muelzik(m): 11:59pm On Sep 10, 2014
boss OP, na today u know say na usual thing for that road? Sorry though, but u must take note of this. When u get on the road, dont u ever, i repeat, DONT YOU EVER give attention to anyone who stands by the side of the road to signal something falling under ur car (oh they now use bike in a oneway? New strategy!).

I have known this years before now. They operate on the express ways. They may rob u of valuables, and rape ur woman or daughter(s) lol.

Nor be today matter, e don tey. It is rampant along benin ore express way, and only experience can teach us all. Direct personal experience, other people's experiences most especially. U r lucky they actually worked on ur car and billed u. They made sure u wont be able to move on easily by removing ur tyres, leaving u almost handicapped and willing to let go a whooping sum of over a hundred naira for JUST NOTHING! They really got u mehn!
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by okeyfineboy(m): 12:33am On Sep 11, 2014
sweettease: Hmmmmm... Even at that you need to learn how to bargain... How the hell did you spend 113k for something that was not actually faulty when you even know the actual cost?
I was once a victim of that, once your vehicle is in their workshop, there is nothing you can do about the price..if you are not careful with them they will Rob you hands down..and note many of them uses jazz(juju)
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by okeyfineboy(m): 12:33am On Sep 11, 2014
sweettease: Hmmmmm... Even at that you need to learn how to bargain... How the hell did you spend 113k for something that was not actually faulty when you even know the actual cost?
I was once a victim of that, once your vehicle is in their workshop, there is nothing you can do about the price..if you are not careful with them they will Rob you hands down..and note many of them uses jazz(juju)..in my own case I spent 206k
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by stagger: 3:28am On Sep 11, 2014
PeckNARM: Hmm worst that happen to me was on route to asaba from abuja! I entered a gallop and my radiator broke /leaked!(not that I knew immediately! This was somewhere in Edo state before okpella! Worst thing is I was with a foreigner and a fully loaded car! This was around 5:30pm! 7pm we were still in the bush!(at this point I separated 150k in my pocket and tucked it into my sock I was wearing! Managed to get a number for a car to tow us! Voice on phone said 25k shocked !At that point I knew I was in soup! I had a 3k estimate in my mind! Told him 6k last he should think about it! 20mins later still no word from him angry! Had 2 call him back told him why haven't I heard from him! He said he's on he's way put ill pay 10k! I said no 7k! When he arrived you won't believe he was with 5guys all speaking what I presume to be Edo or something! I was worried but had no option! On top of that we towed car with one Flat tyre which eventually shredded!After 15 long minutes of towing finally got to destination not before the criminal demanded 1k extra! Long story short was a terrible day! Stayed in a dingy hotel in okpella 2.5k per night!Following morning! Bought brand new radiator and tire 10k /4k respectively not including workmanship! If I hadn't had a bad enough 24hours already! FRSC stopped me talking the most shit! License this/Front tire worn out/ Said they'll seize my car shocked! Then decided they'll seize my original document instead so as for me to make a payment into a certain account! I told them that's an inconvenience that we need a swifter resolution (fast forward) Had to part with 7k sad ! GOD BLESS NIGERIA

Abuja to Asaba is an 8 hour journey. What in the world were you doing at Okpella area by 5.30pm? Waoh!
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by PeckNARM: 4:01am On Sep 11, 2014
stagger:

Abuja to Asaba is an 8 hour journey. What in the world were you doing at Okpella area by 5.30pm? Waoh!
Because I left late! Duh! What kind of question is that! Is it public transport that I have to leave 8am or what? lipsrsealed
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by popson1st: 6:11am On Sep 11, 2014
Wish I can send thunder to fire those people. OP, the most important is your safety, though.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by mecussey(m): 7:16am On Sep 11, 2014
cyril10: I was on leave in mid August 2014 when I decided to travel to Lagos with my family. Before the leave started, I gave my car to my mechanic to service and to make sure everything is in order before we embark on the journey since I wouldn't want to put my little kids in jeopardy .

On the D-day, we left home early to atleast get to Lagos by 4-5 pm but it was not to be as I eventually fell into the hands of scamming mechanics along Benin-ore road which I later regretted for some time. The journey was very smooth from P/H to the point between Benin and Ore when I unluckily met with evil mechanics and their accomplices, as I was driving, a man on okada (bike) started pointing on my tyre that it is wobbling, I had to quickly stop did I quick turn around to a waiting mechanic that directed me to his shop, when I stopped, I discovered that oil was dripping from my tyre rim, it was later I discovered that they actually splashed oil on the rim but was too late, they have removed my 2 front tyres, removed my hubs to show that they were broken, they called motor parts seller one of the accomplice. The hub that should ordinarily cost 8-10 thousand cost me 40,000 naira each, at the end of it all I ended up wasting 113,000 naira. I have to share my experience here so as to warn people that travel on that route that they should ignore people like that mostly along Agbor- benin and Benin- ore roads.

You even get luck say no be robbers or kidnappers. How can you just stop on a highway because someone said you should stop.
Re: My Experience Along Benin- Ore Road by precosmos1: 8:14am On Sep 11, 2014
So sorry my brother, I was once a victim but thank God I didn't spend a dime. I just told them that I was not having a dime with me that they should just couple the tyre back and I will manage the car like that to benin to park. They were even threatening me that the tyre will pull on the way, I just told them that God will take control. After much conviction, they gave up and coupled the tyre back for me and they ask me to go. That was how God saved me from them, I even posted it here in the forum and it was on front page. Don't worry, God will replenish you back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages / Which Is The Best Cost Effective New Tyre? / Why Nigerian Cars Are Not Sell-Able After Use

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.