Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) (16819 Views)

My Last Day In School (complete story) / Nairaland E-workshop And Nairaland Writers Award: How Do We Improve? / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by princesa(f): 3:23pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
Princesa... Please get ready...
can I shift to later? I'm not disposed to present now. Please?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d: @ OMA4U....can u answer the question?

What was the question? undecided
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2014
princesa:
can I shift to later? I'm not disposed to present now. Please?
I've replied your message on whatsapp...
We r waiting for Audreytimmss
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:
tongue
for your mind shuu?

Nice contributions, Texanomaly.

Thumbs up.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:
tongue
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ Mynd44...Please do we get the chance of making fp
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: From what you have given us so far, single words are only being branded into sentences. I understand that. My question is, can a sentence be branded into longer sentences?

Like:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy goats

Can each letter of that sentence be branded? grin

Yes! But a bit tasking. But all things are possible, I hope you know cheesy
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
HOW TO "SHOW" AND NOT "TELL" A STORY.
First and foremost, I want to appreciate Divepen for this opportunity he gave to me to be a part of this workshop. I really learnt a lot. 

Here goes.........

HOW TO "SHOW" AND NOT "TELL" A STORY
"Don't tell us that the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream." -- Samuel Clemens.
Since the topic is on how to show and not tell a story, I'm going to do a lot of showing not telling by using examples to buttress my points. Kapish? Okay! Let's move on.

Telling is abstract, passive and less involving of the reader. It slows down your pacing, takes away your action and pulls your reader out of your story.

Showing however is active and concrete; creating mental images that brings your story and your characters to life. When you hear about writing that is vivid, evocative and strong, chances are there's plenty of showing in it. Showing is interactive and encourages the reader to participate in the reading experience by drawing his or her own conclusions.

Tell me what happened is different from show me what happened. Sometimes we think we are showing when we are actually telling. Showing allows the reader to follow the author into the moment, to see, feel, smell and experience what the author has experienced. Using the proper balance of showing and telling will make your writing more interesting and effective.

But at the same time, too much showing can be boring. For example, have you ever read a Mills and Boon intimacy. scene? Too much showing! Sometimes I'm like, "Do it already!" Sometimes I flip through the pages to find out if they did it or not. "They did it! What next?" or "They didn't? Why? A call from an antagonist disrupted the show."
So a balance has to be struck between showing and telling. Too much of either of them makes a boring read.

First we are going to start with what we mean by telling. We'll show when you're telling and give examples of showing also.

SIGNS TO SHOW YOU ARE TELLING NOT SHOWING
1.  When you use too much adverbs e.g happily, sadly, angrily etc. They shouldn't be avoided at all cost but they should be kept to a minimum. It's far better to show emotions than to tell them.
Telling- "You are crazy." she said angrily.
Showing- "You are crazy." Sandra ended the call and threw the phone against the wall. The phone scattered all over the place. Sandra got to her feet, picked up the pieces and threw them out the window.
Now we don't need a soothsayer to tell us that Sandra is angry. Sometimes it's better to use details in describing an event or an emotion. By showing her actions right after the dialogue, you know what's going on with her.

2. When you use too much forms of these verbs- am, is, are, was, was being, will have been, could have been, to be etc. They don't only put you in the passive tense but they also tend to remove your reader from the action. They aren't words to be avoided but if you can work your writing to make it stronger without the word "was" or any form of it, you'll show more than you tell.
Examples.
Telling- The school was perfect. She saw it and was immediately transformed back to her childhood because it had all the elements she remembered.
Showing- She pushed open the gate and stepped into a past from twenty five years ago. The school she remembered, down to the last detail. The blue and green metal swing in the middle of the play ground. Yellow walls with Walt Disney's cartoon characters. Children, immaculately dressed and moving to and fro with teachers. Another school, just like the one she'd attended, years ago, before she'd grown up and left the country. She pressed a hand to her mouth.
If you notice, the word "was" didn't appear anywhere in the showing example. You can see the details that bring her back to her past rather than just being told that it does. This gives the reader something concrete to visualize and connect with.

3. Too much use of 'As' or 'ing' to begin a sentence. They are okay to use. It is telling not showing though it isn't a laid down rule that it mustn't be used.
Examples
Telling- As Chioma walked to the door, she made up her mind not to leave until the door was opened.
OR
Knocking on the door, Chioma made her presence known to the people inside the house.
Showing- Chioma formed a tight fist with her right hand and pounded on the wooden door. They'd hear her, or she'd break her hand letting them know she'd come for her money.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: for your mind shuu?

Thumbs up.

Thanks. Looking forward to your piece. smiley
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
AudreyTimms: My network is so shitty right now! I feel like crying
I don't believe you. tongue grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d: @ OMA4U....can u answer the question?
what's the question?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Hichaaaa!!

Watch it young man!

You wont see me till it's too late O! angry
Lol! grin tongue
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: what's the question?

Oooooops
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:32pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ Divepen...can I present my piece on Thursday instead of tomorrow?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
TIPS FOR SHOWING NOT TELLING
1. Use specific details. Try to be specific in your descriptions to give the readers vivid details of what you're talking about. If you are describing a couch for instance. Is it a two seater or a three seater? Is it bright yellow or pale yellow? Brand names help the reader identify with things better, too. Like an LG refrigerator, a Hp laptop or a 2010 Mercedes Benz C-Class. Also, the more concrete your details are, the more your reader can get a visual picture. One way to do this is to take a simple sentence and increase it with details by adding to it but please don't overdo it.
Examples
Telling- He drove the red car to the gate and called his girl friend on the phone to come out.
Showing- The crimson red Toyota Camry cruised to a stop beside the big black gate. He picked up his Nokia Lumia mobile phone to inform his girlfriend he was in front of her gate.
OR
Telling- She felt funny at sighting him.
Showing- He came into view then and she caught her breath sharply. What was that fluttery feeling she had in her tummy? She felt as if butterflies were having a symphony in her tummy. Her heart beat became faster as he moved closer. 

2. Use sensory images- Use the five senses. If you are describing been held up in traffic, don't just talk about the heat and being stuck in a car; add the smell of the fumes coming out of the exhaust pipes of the cars, the sound of the blaring horns or voices of hawkers, the feel of your sweaty and sticky palms or shirt, etc. The more you can create a world for your reader by adding sensory details, the more he or she will be drawn into your writing.
Examples
Telling- She loved the smell of his aftershave.
Showing- The minty and spicy smell of his aftershave got to her senses.

3. Be descriptive. This entails carefully choosing the right words and using them sparingly to convey your meaning.
Examples
Telling- He walked into the room and held his dying mother's hand.
Showing- He opened the door carefully and stood beside it as the emancipated figure on the bed came to his line of vision. Death held his once robust and jovial mother in a tight grip. Her cold hands made fear run down his spine when he got beside her. 
Don't overdo it anyway.

4. Use good comparisons for your metaphors- not cliches. Metaphors can be a great way to show but try to be unique. Don't compare your things to the same tired old things everyone else has used.
Examples
Telling- The lady sang like a bird.
Showing- No wonder the dog barked all the time. He had all the courage of a ninety-pound knight about to undertake his first jousting match.

5. Vary your sentences.  It's a great tool to use when you want to show suspense or fear (use shorter sentences) or draw out suspense (use longer sentences).

6. Use specific actions to make your point. Don't say things like ''he had a reputation for driving like a maniac."- show him driving like a maniac. Let the reader see him doing those things or have others characters talk about him doing those things.

7. Use dialogue as a showing tool. Dialogue is wonderful for bringing out information. Examples.
Telling- She abused him. 
Showing- "You lazy son of a nobody!" she bellowed.
 Now imagine your own rage at those words or pleasure if he deserved it. 

8. Don't pad it too much. Don't overwhelm the reader with description either. You're not writing a travelogue, you're writing a story. Add enough details to give the readers a picture, then move on to the meat of your story. If you have several paragraphs in a row of description, chances are you've gone overboard. Try to work the description in with the dialogue and action instead so you can maintain your pacing and reader interest. 

9.  Don't be afraid of telling sometimes, too. A mix of both showing and telling is a good idea. You don't have to show every single thing in your book. Sometimes, a quick telling helps get through a slow part. The goal is to make the majority of your writing vivid and strong and keep telling to a minimum.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d: @ Divepen...can I present my piece on Thursday instead of tomorrow?
I don't know who will give you their time...
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Mynd44: 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: Texanomaly, I don't fully agree with this. It seems you're mincing spoken word poetry/slam with rap music. Though spoken word poetry can be recited slowly or fast, it's still not the same as rap.

I've attended few spoken word poetry events and I've watched many of it's videos. Spoken word poetry, whether fast or slow, still evokes emotions rap music may likely not.

Heresy!
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
WHEN TO SHOW
Show don't tell is a technique often employed in various kinds of texts to enable the reader to experience the story through action, words, thoughts, senses, and feelings rather than through the author's exposition, summarization, and description. The goal is not to drown the reader in heavy-handed adjectives, but rather to allow readers to interpret significant details in the text.

"Show, don't tell" should be applied to all incidents in a story. According to James Scott Bell, "Sometimes a writer tells a shortcut, to move quickly to the meaty part of the story or scene. Showing is essentially about making scenes vivid. If you try to do it constantly, the parts that are supposed to stand out won't, and your readers will get exhausted."

Scenes that are important to the story should be dramatized with showing, but sometimes what happens between scenes can be told so the story can make progress. According to Orson Scott Card and others, "showing" is so terribly time consuming that it is to be used only for dramatic scenes. 
The objective is to find the right balance of telling versus showing, summarization versus action. Factors like rhythm, pace, and tone come into play. 

HELPFUL HINTS
1. Study movies. In movies, they can't tell you everything. Everything is visual, thus, shown. How do you know someone is upset, angry, happy, sad, frustrated etc. watch movies and write down facial expressions, movements, actions, gestures etc. Use these to describe your own characters when you're writing. This is one of the ways to learn how to show emotion instead of telling it. 

2. Go to theaters and watch live plays on stage. You will see real emotions pouring forth there from their acts. An actress can't turn to the audience and say, "I'm heartbroken." Unless she wants to be booed off the stage. It is shown by falling on your knees and allowing a single tear to drop. Then, as though that single tear broke a dam in your soul, you collapse forward and bury your face in your hands and cry your heart out. When you visualize such things, it'd be far easier to write them.

3. Use your power of imagination. Imagine yourself as the character you're writing and pretend you're on stage. You live the person's emotions and personality thereby making it easier to show through your imagination than just telling.

"If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eight of it being above water." -- Ernest Hemingway

(Please ignore all errors. It was written in haste and ill-health. Thanks)

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
I don't know who will give you their time...

Just check...someone might want to shift cheesy
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
Mynd44:

Heresy!

Thank you Mynd.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: I don't believe you. tongue grin
Amma chase you in your dream tonight with a cutlass!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
AudreyTimms:

Can I help?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
Wow! Audrey...I'm speechless!!!

No, I'm not.

As a matter of fact, you've told us to become storyshowers, rather than storytellers. Okay.

But I'm sure you will agree with me that, when writing a book, not all events or situations should be 'shown'. Instead of simply writing 'He died poor' and move on, some may want to spoil the flow by unnecessarily 'showing' by writing 'The man whose upper and lower appendages had been rendered shrunken from lack of nutrients a good food might have restored closed his eyes slowly and expired in an indigent circumstance.' See, an overly display of 'showing'. grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Can I help?
Sure. Come along with a shovel. We'll bury him after cutting him. grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d:

Just check...someone might want to shift cheesy
Boss, I wish I can but everybody is holding tight to their topic and time...
Please who can help me take Dammygoody's topic...
He will be so busy that he won't be able to talk @ that time.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U:

for your mind shuu?

Thumbs up.

Wait...is the bolded a question? Can someone interpret?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
AudreyTimms:
I won't sleep. tongue
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
Boss, I wish I can but everybody is holding tight to their topic and time...
Please who can help me take Dammygoody's topic...
He will be so busy that he won't be able to talk @ that time.

What's the topic?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Wow! Audrey...I'm speechless!!!

No, I'm not.

As a matter of fact, you've told us to become storyshowers, rather than storytellers. Okay.

But I'm sure you will agree with me that, when writing a book, not all events or situations should be 'shown'. Instead of simply writing 'He died poor' and move on, some may want to spoil the flow by unnecessarily 'showing' by writing 'The man whose upper and lower appendages had been rendered shrunken from lack of nutrients a good food might have restored closed his eyes slowly and expired in an indigent circumstance.' See, an overly display of 'showing'. grin
Ewww! Gross! I did say you shouldn't overdo it. I gave examples of when you should show.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

What was the question? undecided

Ooooooops
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: I won't sleep. tongue
Indeed! cheesy
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ Texanomaly...lol...
It is not a question...
'shuu' is an exclamation.
'For your mind' means in your wildest imagination.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

ANOTHER FLOWERBOY TALE (Perfect Addiction (18+) By Blezzed Abraham... / Chimamanda Adichie Covers Stylist Magazine With "We Should All Be Feminist”Shirt / Untitled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.