Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,862 members, 7,806,434 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened (53319 Views)

Career In Geosciences (geology, Geophysics, Mining, Petroleum Engineer) / Geoscientist And Their Area Of Specialization. / Who Wants To Be A Petroleum Engineer? Please Read This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Temi011(f): 10:26pm On Aug 02, 2015
To be Extraordinary, there is a need to add extra to the ordinary things you do.

Get to build yourself and sharpen your skills by attending Geophysics Field School.

Read more from www.dextolgbgeo.com/geophysicsfieldschool

1 Like

Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by E383: 8:52am On Aug 03, 2015
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by ifoundmyperfect: 11:23am On Aug 03, 2015
E383:

Good day boss, I must commend your work done here. It is not easy to keepnup with the pressures that come with work and still be able to manage such a thread with the incessant questions that come daily. No wonder you are a high flyer.

I just recently secured admission with the prestigious IPS in Uniport to study petroleum engineering and project development. I have a background in Chemical Engineering and a modicum about petroleum. Please I would need your advice on a lot as I would really wish to make the best of the MSc prog.

I will read through the thread while I send you a pm. I hope you will find time to respond to my query.

God bless.

I got your email.

I have lots of them to respond to.

I promise to make out time to respond to yours and the rest today...

Congratulations by the way! smiley

1 Like

Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by ifoundmyperfect: 4:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
toyobambam:
Hello everyone, please I need your help on my situation. I have been reading nairaland a lot lately and it has become a very informative source to me.Please any advice is needed. I graduated with a bachelors degree in petroleum engineering in the U.S. Due some issues I graduated with a second class lower. My first few undergrad classes were tough but I did reasonably well in all my petroleum engineering courses and geology courses. I graduated last year may 2014.As an international student I decided to job hunt using my OPT, I wasn't even sure I would get a job due to my grade point average but I did. After three months I eventually started working with one of big oil service companies.last week I had to quit my job due to issues of work permit renewal and sponsorship not being processed.Even my manager and hr were confused, they didn't know what to do. i was a bit down but not distraught. The job really challenged me, I gained a ton of experience and did things I didn't think I could accomplish ....now if feels like I'm back to square one. Struggling with grades and me finally pushing myself my last year to get a high grade point Lin my major courses really changed me as a person., but sometime it leaves me and my parents Disappionted that I didn't get it right from the beginning(I was 16/17 going in).My parents are advising me to go for masters, but I always think what are my chances with my low grade point average. And I know they dont have the funds for it right now but my mom keeps saying she will make it happen. In meantime I'm studying for my GRE and heading to Nigeria for the next nysc to do my service while I apply to grad programs or job hunt.

Please I need your advice for anyone that has been in a similar situation.
1. What are My chances of getting into a grad program with a low gpa and how have individuals accomplished this ?
2. What are my chances for employment in Nigeria after service?

Thanks

Now IT feels like I'm Back to Square One

Like Seriously

My Brother, nothing has been lost...!

And you are most certainly not back to square one...

Many people out there, including my humble self didn't have quite an impressive kick off back in school...

Most of us have seized the positive mentality of being first class products and acted on it to produce meaningful contributions to the society.

You got a job in a BIG coy overseas... That is where the huge difference lies when comparing western mentality to that of developing countries. One is being given equally opportunity to prove himself. However, one cannot entire blame the system as the need arises because of what i'd regard as an unemployment explosion.

Don't subject your morale and energy to punching by past flaws. You are a Petroleum Engineer for crying out loud!
You get foreign degree/certificates! You equally have industry experience (no matter how short it was)! You are at an advantage here.

I'm second with your folks that you go for your Msc. You can still gain admission with your degree (second class lower). People with third class also do, so why are you still bothered? You should be thankful for the support your familiy is willing to grant you, because Msc these days cost an arm, leg and even the head (if person no dey careful)

Ride on with your National Service. After which, put in for your Msc. You can get a job even before the program commences. If that happens, I'd suggest you you run a part time program. If not, during a full time program, you'd get posted to any industry of your choice by DPR (Department of Petroleum Resources) for internship to cover the period of your Thesis. With God special grace and your alertness, you'd get absorbed by the company.

This is all i can afford to say for the moment. Best of luck. And stop worrying abeg!!!

****Could'nt locate your email. Had to come respond over this platform

1 Like

Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by yinkeys(m): 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2015
E383:

Good day boss, I must commend your work done here. It is not easy to keepnup with the pressures that come with work and still be able to manage such a thread with the incessant questions that come daily. No wonder you are a high flyer.

I just recently secured admission with the prestigious IPS in Uniport to study petroleum engineering and project development. I have a background in Chemical Engineering and a modicum about petroleum. Please I would need your advice on a lot as I would really wish to make the best of the MSc prog.

I will read through the thread while I send you a pm. I hope you will find time to respond to my query.

God bless.
I salute you bro, congrats. It means you're academically hot-headed
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by E383: 4:35pm On Aug 03, 2015
yinkeys:
I salute you bro, congrats. It means you're academically hot-headed

Lol. You need to define what hot headed mean boss. Anyway, I am just looking to maximizing my time during the prog as it is better I get it early. Your input(Books, Videos, PodCasts etc) is also welcomed. Thanks.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 06, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate!
sir, please can I also get some of the materials you have given out so far? even if it's just one tenth of it all,i will be most grateful. Herringbone992@gmail.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by toyobambam: 10:09pm On Aug 06, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:

Thanks so much for words of encourage, i have taken your advise to heart and will be studying for my GRE and joining the next batch for youth service. I hope find somewhere in the industry like you suggested.

Thanks!
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by prolific1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
Temi011:
To be Extraordinary, there is a need to add extra to the ordinary things you do.

Get to build yourself and sharpen your skills by attending Geophysics Field School.

Read more from www.dextolgbgeo.com/geophysicsfieldschool

Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Nigel1: 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2015
QUIZ OF THE WEEK!

Evaluate your engineering skills and knowledge-base.

Attempt this week's quiz questions on the FEDP Forum - http://fedpforum@epcmengineers.com.

First correct set of answers received wins the week's $150 prize!

The target remains engineering excellence!

TWITTER: FEDPForum
FACEBOOK: FEDP Forum

See latest photos of the custom-built ultra-modern FEDP Pilot Oil & Gas Surface Production Training Facility in Lekki, Lagos under construction below.....

Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 15, 2015
[quote author=AAPS post=35963382][/quote]
Electricity Those solar street light nko, my time na dia I dy go, wen d tin dim I switch to candle , err.. bin d only geologist in ur team, u will have to read some courses on your own, my Era.. m d only Geophysicist and I was totally cool with it. Eagles don't hunt in packs... My idea of group reading is not to b alone and also mutual encouragement
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by osram(m): 6:43am On Aug 19, 2015
Ojemedad:

Geophysics is the latest tool employed in the oil industry now, more diverse, less time consuming and flexible. With recent advancement in software Geophysics have an upper hand over Geology.

Just my thought someone else can give a contrary view.
sir pls wats d difference btw geology,applied geology and geophysic?
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Ojemedad: 5:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
osram:
sir pls wats d difference btw geology,applied geology and geophysic?

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing like applied geology.

Geology is not applied, deals with the surface and near sub surface while geophysics is applied, deals with the sub surface. In geophysics you use the the principles of physics, it is faster in dealing with issues unlike geology. More of calculations and computation in geophysics also.

Geophysics can also be called applied geophysics, or exploration geophysics.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by BOBBYKILLZ: 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
Pls, i'm in need of a siwes placement in lagos... I am a student of olabisi onabanjo university, studying GEOPHYSICS. Pls contact me via Bobmedua@yahoo.com
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Kingzy4pep(m): 5:00am On Sep 01, 2015
toyobambam:
Hello everyone, please I need your help on my situation. I have been reading nairaland a lot lately and it has become a very informative source to me.Please any advice is needed. I graduated with a bachelors degree in petroleum engineering in the U.S. Due some issues I graduated with a second class lower. My first few undergrad classes were tough but I did reasonably well in all my petroleum engineering courses and geology courses. I graduated last year may 2014.As an international student I decided to job hunt using my OPT, I wasn't even sure I would get a job due to my grade point average but I did. After three months I eventually started working with one of big oil service companies.last week I had to quit my job due to issues of work permit renewal and sponsorship not being processed.Even my manager and hr were confused, they didn't know what to do. i was a bit down but not distraught. The job really challenged me, I gained a ton of experience and did things I didn't think I could accomplish ....now if feels like I'm back to square one. Struggling with grades and me finally pushing myself my last year to get a high grade point Lin my major courses really changed me as a person., but sometime it leaves me and my parents Disappionted that I didn't get it right from the beginning(I was 16/17 going in).My parents are advising me to go for masters, but I always think what are my chances with my low grade point average. And I know they dont have the funds for it right now but my mom keeps saying she will make it happen. In meantime I'm studying for my GRE and heading to Nigeria for the next nysc to do my service while I apply to grad programs or job hunt.

Please I need your advice for anyone that has been in a similar situation.
1. What are My chances of getting into a grad program with a low gpa and how have individuals accomplished this ?
2. What are my chances for employment in Nigeria after service?

Thanks
I like to contact you. I'm sending a pm.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by petengine(m): 7:10pm On Sep 04, 2015
@ ifoundmyperfect et al, I really appreciate your contributions to this thread. I am a recent petroleum engineering graduate from RSUST. I need someone to send me petroleum engineering softwares like eclipse, prosper, techlog, IPM suites etc. also advice me on some certificate courses I can enroll on that will give me greater advantage in landing a petroleum engineering job. Although my emphasis is in Drilling Engineering. I like Reservoir Engineering. I think solving modeling and simulation problems are quite fun.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by petengine(m): 7:12pm On Sep 04, 2015
@ ifoundmyperfect et al, I really appreciate your contributions to this thread. I am a recent petroleum engineering graduate from RSUST. I need someone to send me petroleum engineering softwares like eclipse, prosper, techlog, IPM suites etc. also advice me on some certificate courses I can enroll on that will give me greater advantage in landing a petroleum engineering job. Although my emphasis is in Drilling Engineering. I like Reservoir Engineering. I think solving modeling and simulation problems are quite fun.
the softwares are training manual should be send to johnansa1@yahoo.com
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by AAPS(m): 8:03pm On Sep 06, 2015
[quote author=geobukky post=36977245]
Electricity Those solar street light nko, my time na dia I dy go, wen d tin dim I switch to candle , err.. bin d only geologist in ur team, u will have to read some courses on your own, my Era.. m d only Geophysicist and I was totally cool with it. Eagles don't hunt in packs... My idea of group reading is not to b alone and also mutual encouragement [/quote

thanks ma
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by TheCode(m): 7:47pm On Sep 09, 2015
Hello house, please I need your wisdom on a choice of MSc to go for considering the latest trend in the industry and the need for 'in-demand' knowledge or skills. I am considering the following graduate programs:

Flow Assurance
Reservoir Engineering
Subsea Engineering
Offshore Engineering
Production Engineering

Could you please help me rank them bearing in mind importance/relevance, 'in-demand' and diversity of application.

The schools I am considering are University of Houston, Cranfield University, University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon's University, IPS and OTI-UNIPORT. Most especially the foreign colleges.

Please I am respectfully directing this question to every experienced person here.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by E383: 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2015
TheCode:
Hello house, please I need your wisdom on a choice of MSc to go for considering the latest trend in the industry and the need for 'in-demand' knowledge or skills. I am considering the following graduate programs:
Flow Assurance
Reservoir Engineering
Subsea Engineering
Offshore Engineering
Production Engineering
Could you please help me rank them bearing in mind importance/relevance, 'in-demand' and diversity of application.
The schools I am considering are University of Houston, Cranfield University, University of Aberdeen, Robert Gordon's University, IPS and OTI-UNIPORT. Most especially the foreign colleges.
Please I am respectfully directing this question to every experienced person here.

Boss ifoundmyperfect, Imag5, your inputs please.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by ifoundmyperfect: 9:14am On Sep 10, 2015
TheCode:

Flow Assurance
Reservoir Engineering
Subsea Engineering
Offshore Engineering
Production Engineering

Reservoir Engineering 40 percent
Production Engineering 20 percet
Flow Assurance 20 percent
Offshore Engineering 10 percent
Subsea Engineering 10 percent
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by TheCode(m): 9:17am On Sep 10, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:

Reservoir Engineering 40 percent Production Engineering 20 percet Flow Assurance 20 percent Offshore Engineering 10 percent Subsea Engineering 10 percent
Thanks bro. I appreciate.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by ifoundmyperfect: 5:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:

Reservoir Engineering 40 percent
Production Engineering 20 percet
Flow Assurance 20 percent
Offshore Engineering 10 percent
Subsea Engineering 10 percent

^
The above rating is subjective.
The rating was based on job description and opportunities. They all pay very well. Just that some of them have limited slots. E.g, it'd be hard (not impossible) to have a production engr flex to Reservoir engr. But it's easier to have a Res Engr flex to a Production/Flow Engr put 2gether.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by petengine(m): 6:50pm On Sep 10, 2015
@ifoundmyperfect. I'd send u a PM, am still awaiting your respond
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by ifoundmyperfect: 8:00pm On Sep 10, 2015
petengine:
@ifoundmyperfect. I'd send u a PM, am still awaiting your respond

Please re-send... I may have missed it.
No vex!
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by lightuplightup: 5:32am On Sep 11, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:
follow the link below to download those books

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sllo5q4swz1hj09/Sequence%20Stratigraphy.zip?dl=0

pls can u help me with password to this book henrioj@yahoo.com
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by ifoundmyperfect: 7:33am On Sep 11, 2015
lightuplightup:

Check your email
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by TheCode(m): 9:23am On Sep 11, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:

^
The rating was based on job description and opportunities. They all pay very well. Just that some of them have limited slots. E.g, it'd be hard (not impossible) to have a production engr flex to Reservoir engr. But it's easier to have a Res Engr flex to a Production/Flow Engr put 2gether.

Thanks a lot bro. I get.
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by lightuplightup: 7:42pm On Sep 16, 2015
lightuplightup:
checked but didnt see it even in my spam , can u pls send to my nairaland inbox or may be this mail henryojieh22@gmail.com , THANKS
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by prolific1(m): 7:55am On Sep 23, 2015
This thread has been too silent for too Long, hope every1 is fine? God Bless you all. Ciao
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by petengine(m): 12:18am On Sep 30, 2015
E383:

Lol. You need to define what hot headed mean boss. Anyway, I am just looking to maximizing my time during the prog as it is better I get it early. Your input(Books, Videos, PodCasts etc) is also welcomed. Thanks.
Hello E383, congratulations on your admission into IPS. pls if u don't mine, can u brief me on the entrance examinations structure at IPS and possibly send me some Pass Questions and Answers. thanks and God bless!
Re: GEOSCIENTIST & PETROLEUM ENGINEER's HAVEN - Be Empowered, Enriched & Enlightened by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 02, 2015
ifoundmyperfect:

^
Boss, I took my time to download the stratigraphy zip file. Please I need the password to open it. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Buhari Sacks 2,000 University Workers - Punch / Debate: Money Better Than Education (support Or Oppose) / Beautiful Female Engineer Turned Painter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.