Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder (33640 Views)

Oscar Pistorius Could Compete At Rio 2016 / Oscar Pistorius Found Guilty Of Manslaughter / A Nigerian's Open Letter To Oscar Pistorius. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by noit(m): 2:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
Juria novict curia.....
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by mikelblinks(m): 2:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
He killed Steenkamp..
Pistorios is hot tempered and a bloody liar.My lucky aunt can testify 2 dat.

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Calebosko(m): 2:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
koolhunk: WTF! sad this guy should be in jail. Damn the law!!! angry angry angry
all this bokohalam kiling like its their hubby,how many dey jail.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Thomsbuky(m): 2:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
Samakinr:
Perhaps you should have applied as a representation of reeva, thinking you are more 'righter' than the person you quoted...see as you jump to conclusion despite being glaring that you are naive in this case. He shot 4 times not 7...(you even made mistake in the simplest point)

What your point silly billy? This guys got away with murder period. Why are you asking me to apply as Reeva legal rep, does it make sense to you? Its seven bullet holes..not four as you mentioned. what does it matter either 4 or 7 times.....what is glaring to you in this case? The fact he shot and kill is girlfriend....and somebody praising da lord that justice as been serve for killer get away with murder?
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by MevsU(m): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
From the comments I have read it is clearly obvious that majority don't know how cases are decided.
In a court of law, only facts with evidences are required even when you are on the wrong side and the prosecution are not able to prove that with evidences it is likely one goes scot free.
Is it fair? Only those concerned can say

2 Likes

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by SHOCK7(m): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
Aitee1: Haba...I'm not watching but those commenting on the live verdict thread said the case has been adjourned till 9 am tomorrow

Op are u sure of what u're saying

I don't wish him dead but then I hate the 'law'. It can be so twisted to set the accused free, too bad!!!
Datz probably 4 d second charge!

I wonder how many judges will make heaven tho...
R.I.P once again to the death!
Datz probabily 4 d second charge!
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by kobonaire(m): 2:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
MrKnowitall: Man kills his girlfriend in cold blood...found not guilty. Man hits his wife in an elevator...loses everything. I don't understand this crazy world, this crazy perplexing world.
Mr. Ray Rice is paying for his actions (factoring he is a high profile athlete). He's also paying for the face saving moves by the NFL and Ravens organizations. He will hopefully get a new contract once the 'cooling off' period is over ... perhaps by 2015 season. He's still a free man, hopefully has saved well and can spend quality time with his family.
Mr Oscar Pistorious, if found guilty of manslaughter, may face jail time. He'll be losing financially too - having spent for his lawyers, losing endorsements etc.

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by rhymz(m): 2:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
I would have been surprised if Oscar did not get acquitted at least on the murder charge. Seriously, the state prosecutors relied too heavily on Witness account and the past relationship issues they had.

See how the judge logically struck out most of the evidence witness accounts in a way that one can not fault much in her logic. Na only Oscar go fit talk if he intentionally killed his girlfriend in a rage or it was a tragic case of anxiety and mistake.

His lawyers played the mental instability argument very well and that is what has gotten him off the hook. The technicalities of the law does not care about witness accounts that may have been corrupted by judgemental media reports of the case.

Finally, Mr Oscar will get off with a light sentence for illegal possession of arms and discharge in public place all of which he had pleaded guilty and probably have agreed to a plea bargain that will see him get off with a smack in the butt.... I hope the media will now let this man rest....We now have another OJ Simpson case in RSA....

4 Likes

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Dreyl(m): 2:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
So he's now a free man,hmmm.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by reeq(m): 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
Folks Please let's Learn to get our Facts Straight before posting. Stuff!. The final verdict hasn't been given,we'd know on the morrow. God bless.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by GuyFawkes: 2:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
In all trials, "purely circumstantial" evidence is frequently the clearest path to the truth--even superior to eye-witness accounts. For goodness sake, there have been murder convictions where no body has been found, and circumstantial evidence is all there is..

It boggles the mind that Judge Masipa did not apply ordinary reasoning in her ruling. Ordinary reasoning points one way--toward guilt. First, no woman living intimately with a man would get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and, in the dark, lock the door behind her. Second, disabled in the legs or not, Mr. Pistorius is equipped with a functioning voice, good hearing and fully working arms. Why, if they thought an intruder was in the room, did he not instinctively listen for Ms. Steenkamp's breathing, reach out with his arm to see if she were lying there, or whisper to her to stay put? It's not very hard to figure out almost instantaneously that a partner has left the bed. Mr. Pistorius, even by his own account, had lots of time before he went to the bathroom to have figured this out.

While reading about the trial, I kept wondering if the prosecutor directly challenged Mr. Pistorius by saying this: Surely this was not the first time Ms. Steenkamp got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Why didn't you think an intruder was in the bathroom the other nights?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by wiringdpt(m): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
I knew it
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by AriDsexy(f): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Kx: If I remember that an innocent woman was killed I say Judge why?

But if I look back and realize that a "legless" poor disable man who assumed armed robbers had gained entrance into his flat and were holding up in the bathroom and the initial life and death reaction was to use all that was within his immediate reach to protect himself and his girlfriend, I say thank God that justice is about to be served.
I'll go with ur first reasoning,the second one is BS...No offense pls

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by ifedun2: 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
Thought the prosecution had him nailed.Watching the trial,I had the understanding he deliberately killed that woman.Now this.No evidence to premeditated murder.
Rip to the lady.
I only hope the guy would learn from this.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by niggereyez(f): 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
this is why SOMETIMES I HATE the legal profession.... mtcheeew.
*there is that final judgement day*

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Donkunxex: since 2013,,,I thought there's someting they call "THE LIE DETECTOR!". .. ain't watchinq trisha again...
Well, I don't know about the SA practice, but here in the US, results from a lie detector machine can't be used as evidence.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Congratulobia man
Southie no easy like everybody with der own gagban even pastors self
But I have this feeling DAT if dis man is a black south African its won't be easy n fast like dis ooo
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Godskidmidas(m): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
so u bin dey believe dat Trisha show?
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by biikeys(m): 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
PhockPhockMan: PRETORIA, South Africa — The Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been found not guilty of the two gravest murder charges against him.

But, breaking for lunch on Thursday after a morning of sometimes unbearable suspense that left Mr. Pistorius heaving with sobs, the judge in the case, Thokozile Matilda Masipa, kept open the possibility that Mr. Pistorius might still be found guilty of a lesser charge, culpable homicide.

Calmly and coolly taking up piece after piece of evidence, dismissing some, discounting others, offering practical interpretations of still more, Judge Masipa said that although Mr. Pistorius made a poor and evasive witness, she found large parts of his story credible. Most significantly, she said it seemed — or at least that the prosecution had been unable to prove otherwise — that when he shot and killed his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, 29, through a bathroom door in February 2013, Mr. Pistorius genuinely believed that intruders had broken into his home and were hiding in the bathroom at the time.

Sitting in a wooden dock in a dark suit, white shirt and black tie, Mr. Pistorius slumped forward and sobbed as the judge spoke

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-south-africa-verdict.html?_r=0&referrer=

@ Op, he was found 'not guilty' for 'premeditated murder'.He's still not clear of culpable homicide which is almost same as involuntary manslaughter.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by jeje123(m): 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Honestly I know oscar would be discharge and acquited because he has presidential hand-shake after winning gold medal for his country SA @ last olympic game. So to me, dont expect much but i have one believe God is watching every activities we pactake in either good or bad.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Samakinr: Many don't really understand the rudiment of prosecution. The first rule is that everyone is innocent until proved otherwise. I'm sick of Nigerians giving a conspiracy theory to anything not going as their wish.
The judge rightly said that the prosecution couldn't prove pre meditated murder and murder and hence leaving only culpable homicide which itself doesn't have a minimum sentence but a maximum sentencing of 15yrs. Lest we forget, he still has two other charges each worth 5yrs imprimprisonment for him. At least let's trust the judiciary. Btw , if it were to be in Nigeria, the highest briber will win the case......

yes my brother, the shallow pattern of thinking is really disturbing in this country. just imagine if Reeva was amputated and killed Oscar, all these people condemning Oscar would turn their table of judgement around in favour of the killer. But now even when Oscar is crying, they said he is faking. smh.

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Am gonna talk when I hear the final verdict Am <a href="http://www.pakogirl..nl/?m=1">HERE</a> chilling
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by shilexholly(m): 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
Money makes d world goes around......
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by GuyFawkes: 2:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
shymexx:

OJ's case was different. The prosecutors (police) tampered with evidence(s), and the great Johnnie Cochran (R.I.P), Robert Kardashian and the rest of the team were able to build a solid defense against that.

However, in this case, there was absolutely no way the prosecutors would've won by trying to go for premeditated murder. They had no case from the get-go. I still don't know how they thought they could prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was premeditated without substantial evidence about how he planned it, to be honest.

Out.

The comparison between OJ's trial and this one fits like a well-worn glove. Pistorius had a dream team of lawyers like OJ had and the outcome was never in doubt.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by udemzyudex(m): 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Thank God...

R.I.P to the dead
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Judge ends on a cliffhanger
View 1135 comments
Comment
By: Lauren Hess, News24
2014-09-11 12:00
15:15 - Pistorius and his family have
arrived back home. The end of a long tough day
for him. And it continues tomorrow.
MT @seugnete : #OscarPistorius het nou net saam
met sy lyfwagte by die huis aangekom. Hy sit in
die middel, agter. pic.twitter.com/rZRmpNcbYT
— Beeld (@Beeld_Nuus) September 11, 2014
15:09
#OscarPistorius leaves the High Court in Pretoria
after the first day of judgment. CE
pic.twitter.com/cPKLQrdlB1
— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) September 11,
14:58 - "Pistorius leaves court through great
heaving throng of TV cameras and people with
camera phones," tweets David Smith.
Follow smith's tweets here.
14:55 - "Asked Pistorius how he felt the day went
but he looked straight ahead, said nothing and
kept walking," tweets The Guardian's David
Smith.
14:50 - Wow. That sure is a big group of people.
Not surprised Oscar is still in court. This is what
awaits him outside pic.twitter.com/RDK0HqjeMR
— Mandy Wiener (@MandyWiener) September 11,
14:44 - "Oscar is still sitting in a corner of the
courtroom talking to his aunt. His sister is sitting
on the arm of his chair stroking his head," Wiener
tweets.
14:43 - Mandy Wiener tweets: "So - there is a
difference between OP 'SHOULD HAVE' foreseen
and OP 'DID' foresee consequences of actions. ie
Masipa believes him."
14:29 - And with that Masipa concludes for the
day. Talk about ending on a cliffhanger.
14:27 - OP acted too hastily and used excessive
force. His conduct was negligent.
14:26 - TM: Accused knew there was person behind
toilet door, chose to use firearm, he was
competent as he'd been trained.
14:24 - OP had time to think and consider actions.
I'm satisfied his actions weren't that of a
reasonable person - TM
14:23 - OP's conduct could be better explained by
looking at his background (paranoid mother). It is
just that. An explanation. Many people in this
country have been victims of crime and not
resorted to firearms. - TM
14:22 - TM: At time Pistorius heard window slide
open, he was nearer to balcony than the bathroom
(ie he could have called for help)
14:21 - TM says accused could have called for help
in less time it took to shoot through the door.
14:21 - Why couldn't OP call security when he
heard the perceived intruders, asks TM.
14:20 - Many people in this country with no
security at all, says TM, saying OP had other
options for dealing with perceived threat.
14:19 - Masipa: Defence tried to persuade this
court that accused's disability rendered him more
vulnerable.
14:18 - OP appears to have composed himself.
14:17 - TM cites case law showing days of total
objectivity are over...what was reasonable in the
past isn't reasonable today...
14:15 - TM says this test asks if a reasonable
person would have acted in the same way as the
accused?
14:14 - TM explains that the court must use the
test of the Reasonable Man to determine whether
OP was negligent or not.
14:14 - TM now deals with negligence in culpable
homicide cases.
14:13 - Judge back. Court resumes.
14:12 - Court is silenced. Sounds like they're
about to resume.
14:11 - Nel and Roux are now back in court. But
no Judge Masipa yet.
14:11 - "Keep in mind, OP could still face a jail
term. Culpable homicide carries max of 15 years
but no minimum sentence," tweets Mandy Wiener.
14:01 - We thought proceedings would resume but
Roux and Nel have left the court.
13:59
What a lot of people are struggling with is how
shooting 4 times into tiny space could not
constitute intention to kill in judge's view.
— Rebecca Davis (@becsplanb) September 11, 2014
13:58 - Still no sign of the judge...
13:48 - "Even the lawyers we've been speaking to
seem to say they don't quite understand the
application of dolus eventualis by the judge,"
tweets EWN reporter Mandy Wiener.
Follow Wiener's tweets here
13:39 - Here are the latest stats on how News24
users think judgment will go.
Tell us here what you think will happen.
13:38 - Everyone is back in court except for
Judge Masipa.
13:32 - An emotional Pistorius is seen in the dock
as judgment is handed down in his murder trial at
the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria.
13:28 - We discuss all that has happened pre-
lunch. WATCH:
Subscribe to News24's latest videos here.
13:12 - "If she finds him guilty of culp he may
still get a prison sentence. But there is no
prescribed sentence. Could also be suspended
sentence," reckons attorney David Dadic.
Get Dadic's tweets here
12:59 - Take a look at the media madness that
accompanied OP's arrival at court this morning
Subscribe to News24's videos here.
12:56 - Earlier OP sat praying with his siblings
Aimee and Carl.
12:37 - Pistorius is now sobbing on his lawyer
Brian Webber's shoulder.
12:35 -
Masipa stops speaking. OP is extremely emotional
now.
Masipa agrees to an early lunch. Court adjourns.
12:33 - OP is "rocking slightly in the dock, red-
faced, crying, grinding his jaw", tweets Nastasya
Tay.
12:33 - Question is did OP foresee the possibility
of death when he shot, TM asks. This is key to
murder verdict. Answer has to be no. How could
he? asks Judge.
12:32 - Masipa explaining why there is no dolus
eventualis - OP told several people same version of
events in moments after shooting. It highly
unlikely the accused made up version about
intruder so quickly after shooting, she says.
12:32 - TM: The evidence does not support the
state’s contention that this is a case of dolus
eventualis.
12:31 - TM dealing now with legal intent.
12:31 - Masipa: There is no doubt that when the
accused fired shots at the door he acted
unlawfully.
12:29 - TM: The accused said he did not intend to
kill the deceased but the court is entitled to look
at the evidence as a whole.
12:29 -
OP looks to as if he's breaking down.
TM continues to read: The accused has not
admitted that he had the intention to shoot and
kill the deceased or any other person.
12:28
#OscarPistorius begins to get emotional again as
Judge Masipa continues with her judgement.
pic.twitter.com/XeCUSwrb5E
— Jacaranda Newsteam (@JacaNews) September
11, 2014
12:28 - OP's faces creases with emotion as Masipa
reads.
12:27 - TM: The question is whether the accused
intended to kill the person behind the door.
News24
Share: Email Twitter Google Facebook
del.icio.us Digg
Ad: R500 000 Momentum Life Cover from
R7.50 per day
More Stories in Oscar Pistorius on Trial
Oscar failed to take steps to avoid death - judge
Oscar was negligent, used excessive force - judge
Legal experts shocked, surprised by Masipa's
judgment
Oscar breathes a sigh of relief
Culpable homicide a competent verdict - Oscar
judge
«Back

source
http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/Oscar_Pistorius/Live/LIVE-Oscar-Pistorius-Judgment-Day-20140911#

Judement continues tomorrow and this post is misleading. I followed it from about 8:24 am when the Oscars came in a white SUV.

News24 Home > South Africa > Oscar Pistorius

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by SHOCK7(m): 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2014
Funbii: He may yet be found guilty. This is only the
verdict as to premeditated murder, but something tells me he will get away all the same.
But its ridiculous, just because he DIDN’T CONFESS, you can’t find him guilty. You consider the evidence and you make the determination based on that. His story was utterly laughable. FAIR?? To whom? Certainly not to that poor woman that he murdered in cold blood. Just another example of a famous, rich man getting away with murdering a woman with little or no consequences.
Hello babe, A judge to be objective must always consider d evidence b4 her proven beyond reasonable b4 convicting someone.
Then again oscar admitted shooting someone thinking they were intruders.D prosecution just 'ldn't prove premiditated murder. winkHope u understand?least I forget u look cute
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by PhockPhockMan: 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Aitee1: Haba...I'm not watching but those commenting on the live verdict thread said the case has been adjourned till 9 am tomorrow

Op are u sure of what u're saying

I don't wish him dead but then I hate the 'law'. It can be so twisted to set the accused free, too bad!!!

I wonder how many judges will make heaven tho...
R.I.P once again to the death!
Go to CNN, AIT, ALJAZERA etc the news is trending.
He has been acquitted.
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by sugaarbear(m): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Samakinr:
Perhaps you should have applied as a representation of reeva, thinking you are more 'righter' than the person you quoted...see as you jump to conclusion despite being glaring that you are naive in this case. He shot 4 times not 7...(you even made mistake in the simplest point)
you dont have a point please so stf up...am so sure the girl friend screamed at his first shot...

1 Like

Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by sugaarbear(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
Samakinr:
smh
Re: Oscar Pistorius Found Not Guilty Of Murder by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
MevsU: From the comments I have read it is clearly obvious that majority don't know how cases are decided.
In a court of law, only facts with evidences are required even when you are on the wrong side and the prosecution are not able to prove that with evidences it is likely one goes scot free.
Is it fair? Only those concerned can say
Spot on! Circumstantial evidence, in most cases, won't be enough to secure a conviction. In a criminal trial, the onus is on the prosecution team to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant committed the crime.

However, if the Steenkamp family sues Oscar for something along the lines of "wrongful death", he could be found liable by that judge.
In civil trials, only a "preponderance of evidence" is required to prove that a defendant/respondent is guilty/liable.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs France: How Super Falcons Could Still Qualify Despite 1-0 Defeat / Julius Aghahowa Celebrates His 37th Birthday / Ronaldo Shares Training Pictures To Announce His Return From Injury

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.