Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,371 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force (32214 Views)

See What This Dude Is Giving To God / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 11:51am On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

Bullied by whom? Christians? Muslims? Pagans? Or have Theists joined forces to bully d 'poor, defenseless Atheist'?

^^^
Exhibit A of a dubious christian apologist.

The op reports on the currents news in the USA that the US Airforce is not allowing atheists to enlist unless they make a religious statement.

This is an example of christian bigotry because the higher ups are christian and it is illegal to have a religious test for any public office

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01:

^^^
Exhibit A of a dubious christian apologist.

The op reports on the currents news in the USA that the US Airforce is not allowing atheists to enlist unless they make a religious statement.

This is an example of christian bigotry because the higher ups are christian and it is illegal to have a religious test for any public office

What makes you so sure that they are all Christians? Is it not possible to have members of other religious groups or even some Atheists as part of those who approved the policy?

4 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 12:07pm On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

What makes you so sure that they are all Christians? Is it not possible to have members of other religious groups or even some Atheists as part of those who approved the policy?

grin grin grin

Dubious apologist is dubious.....I didnt say "all"

Please focus on the dscriminatory policy.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01:

grin grin grin

Dubious apologist is dubious.....I didnt say "all"

Please focus on the dscriminatory policy.

Of course you didn't say ALL but you implied it. An attempt to blame Christians for the policy is equally an attempt to excuse the others from blame.

The others (including Atheists) can only be excused if they were not involved in making or approving the policy.

5 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

Of course you didn't say ALL but you implied it. An attempt to blame Christians for the policy is equally an attempt to excuse the others from blame.

The others (including Atheists) can only be excused if they were not involved in making or approving the policy.

So this tool is trying to include atheists in the blame for this?

You are a dubious tool

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01:

So this tool is trying to include atheists in the blame for this?

You are a dubious tool

Now you are getting my vibes.

I am saying:

1) The Atheist who is crying to high heavens is probably guilty of what he accuses religious folks of.

2) If the policy making body is not strictly Christian and everyone probably got a fair representation when the policy was adopted, why then should we call the policy a bad one?

4 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 12:40pm On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

Now you are getting my vibes.

I am saying:

1) The Atheist who is crying to high heavens is probably guilty of what he accuses religious folks of.

2) If the policy making body is not strictly Christian and everyone probably got a fair representation when the policy was adopted, why then should we call the policy a bad one?

What are you arguing? Why are you just dubious?

1) Which atheist are you talking about? And why are you strawmanning? What has any atheist done wrong in this situation? Give an example please....dont just accuse nonsense

2) The army and navy dont have such a policy and do not require any soldier to make a religious statement. That is the American law and the law of any secular office- no religious test/statement for any public office

4 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01:

What are you arguing? Why are you just dubious?

1) Which atheist are you talking about? And why are you strawmanning? What has any atheist done wrong in this situation? Give an example please....dont just accuse nonsense

2) The army and navy dont have such a policy and do not require any soldier to make a religious statement. That is the American law and the law of any secular office- no religious test/statement for any public office

1) If there exist at least one Atheist who agreed to the policy before it was promulgated then that serves a representation for which Atheists can be held liable, just like you are trying hard to pin this on Christians.

2) I am almost certain that you don't know jack about the bold. I hope your reference to law does allow for some degree of variation because I am sure you know that the military have other codes they live by, different from other members of the populace?

Anyways, going to court to resolve this dispute would have far reaching consequences, if they are to take the dude seriously.

4 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 2:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

1) If there exist at least one Atheist who agreed to the policy before it was promulgated then that serves a representation for which Atheists can be held liable, just like you are trying hard to pin this on Christians.

2) I am almost certain that you don't know jack about the bold. I hope your reference to law does allow for some degree of variation because I am sure you know that the military have other codes they live by, different from other members of the populace?

Anyways, going to court to resolve this dispute would have far reaching consequences, if they are to take the dude seriously.

So, this is what it looks like when somebody has no idea of what he is talking about......

The U.S. Constitution also provides that "No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification of any Office or public Trust under the United States."

It is unconstitutional to have a religious test for any government job.

Even within the military, there is historical evidence showing endemic christian discrimination towards atheists/non-believers.
http://mic.com/articles/62145/how-atheists-are-fighting-back-against-military-discrimination

You are just arguing nonsense and deceiving yourself that you are making sense

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01:

So, this is what it looks like when somebody has no idea of what he is talking about......

It is unconstitutional to have a religious test for any government job.

Even within the military, there is historical evidence showing endemic christian discrimination towards atheists/non-believers.
http://mic.com/articles/62145/how-atheists-are-fighting-back-against-military-discrimination

You are just arguing nonsense and deceiving yourself that you are making sense

Probably you are blind to d fact that some operations of the military go beyond what is ordinarily provided for in the constitution.

That even is not the point. The policy was agreed to by every 'policy maker' involved. Since that is the case, it is only ridiculous to hold one group responsible for any wrong perceived.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 3:25pm On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

Probably you are blind to d fact that some operations of the military go beyond what is ordinarily provided for in the constitution.

That even is not the point. The policy was agreed to by every 'policy maker' involved. Since that is the case, it is only ridiculous to hold one group responsible for any wrong perceived.

@ bold
What is this guy saying?

Jesus, Striktlymi.....you are not ok in the head.

4 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by ghostofsparta(m): 1:28am On Sep 13, 2014
TrollMan:

God Bless America...

In God we trust...

This is just an outcrop to remind you that America is a religious state and as such your argument is void.. AKA Baseless.

You have no point to prove your point.

I prefer to lavish my time in researching about why birds fly or why the grass is green to this..

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 12:22pm On Sep 13, 2014
logicboy01: This is shameful!!

Why would the Airforce higher-ups be behaving like religious extremists forcing their religions on others?

tags; italo Striklymi MrAnony1, ubenedictus, francistony

it isn't fair, but i'm sure if atheist were in power it wont be any different.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 12:44pm On Sep 13, 2014
Ubenedictus:

it isn't fair, but i'm sure if atheist were in power it wont be any different.

not only is the bold part irrelevant but it is also false.

You'd be hard pressed to find a secular government forcing christians to say "there is no God"

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 12:57pm On Sep 13, 2014
If the rule said that you must say "So help me God", then by all means, say it. Just go through the motions. You don't have to believe it. I say "Jesus" all the time, and yet I don't believe in Jesus or any other supernatural being(s). It's just an expression, no more, no less.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 3:17pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue: If the rule said that you must say "So help me God", then by all means, say it. Just go through the motions. You don't have to believe it. I say "Jesus" all the time, and yet I don't believe in Jesus or any other supernatural being(s). It's just an expression, no more, no less.

Well, you seem to like your constitutional rights being trampled upon.

In the USA, it is illegal to make "so help me God" compulsory in any govt job

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 3:56pm On Sep 13, 2014
logicboy01:

Well, you seem to like your constitutional rights being trampled upon.

In the USA, it is illegal to make "so help me God" compulsory in any govt job

Only a trouble maker and someone with a lot of spare time on their hands would opt to make a mountain out of what can easily be circumvented.

In United States, it's only trouble makers that can sue someone for something as mundane as getting a bubble gum thrown in their general direction or cry wolf because of a perception that a basic R&R infringed on their overblown sense of selfworth.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 4:30pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Only a trouble maker and someone with a lot of spare time on their hands would opt to make a mountain out of what can easily be circumvented.

In United States, it's only trouble makers that can sue someone for something as mundane as getting a bubble gum thrown in their general direction or cry wolf because of a perception that a basic R&R infringed on their overblown sense of selfworth.

Your ignorance is showing quite clearly.

who is the troublemaker- the Airforce higher-ups who are breaking the law/constitution and infringing on the religious freedom of atheist soldiers or the atheist soldier who is claiming his rights?

Note that other armed forces (military and navy) dropped this nonsense....

6 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Elkewwty(f): 4:59pm On Sep 13, 2014
Yes, they must swear or leave tongue

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by davien(m): 5:03pm On Sep 13, 2014
Elkewwty: Yes, they must swear or leave tongue
whoa,are 40 dudes following you? shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 5:28pm On Sep 13, 2014
logicboy01:
who is the troublemaker- the Airforce higher-ups who are breaking the law/constitution and infringing on the religious freedom of atheist soldiers or the atheist soldier who is claiming his rights?

No matter. It shouldn't be an issue. It's not like the United Air Force is actively forcing it's recruits to conform to the Christian faith or anything.

"So help me God" is a slogan so old that it's recitations is now a matter of routine. It shouldn't and not supposed to threaten anyone, especially not to an individual that identifies himself as a "free thinker." Holding on to your belief or lack thereof so "religiously" as to feel threatened just because you frowned upon a certain R&R that enforces you to recite a routine slogan, reeks of stark hypocrisy.

It's okay to be pissed off at an audacious law that may or may not infringe on your constitutional right, but feeling threatened by it when it can't technically hurt you is another ball game altogether. Atheism transcends that level of ignominious pettiness, else, we are no different from the radical theists protesting outside an abortion clinic.

7 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Elkewwty(f): 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2014
davien: whoa,are 40 dudes following you? shocked shocked shocked

Yeeeeeees cheesy cheesy

They won't lemme sleep with pm cry

meanwhile, i love them like that wink

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 6:04pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue:

No matter. It shouldn't be an issue. It's not like the United Air Force is actively forcing it's recruits to conform to the Christian faith or anything.

"So help me God" is a slogan so old that it's recitations is now a matter of routine. It shouldn't and not supposed to threaten anyone, especially not to an individual that identifies himself as a "free thinker." Holding on to your belief or lack thereof so "religiously" as to feel threatened just because you frowned upon a certain R&R that enforces you to recite a routine slogan, reeks of stark hypocrisy.

It's okay to be pissed off at an audacious law that may or may not infringe on your constitutional right, but feeling threatened by it when it can't technically hurt you is another ball game altogether. Atheism transcends that level of ignominious pettiness, else, we are no different from the radical theists protesting outside an abortion clinic.

It is psychologically damaging.

And since you feel that atheists asking for their constitutional rights is the same as radical christians protesting outside an abortion clinic, I HAVE TO LEAVE YOU WITH YOUR FOOLISHNESS. GOODBYE

wink

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 6:08pm On Sep 13, 2014
logicboy01:

It is psychologically damaging.

And since you feel that atheists asking for their constitutional rights is the same as radical christians protesting outside an abortion clinic, I HAVE TO LEAVE YOU WITH YOUR FOOLISHNESS. GOODBYE

wink

My opinion may be foolish but it sure as hell beats your rank hypocrisy. Case closed. wink

PS; @the bold... Out Of context. That's not what I meant.

7 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 6:12pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue:

My opinion may be foolish but it sure as hell beats your rank hypocrisy. Case closed. wink

And where is the hypocrisy?

Show me

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 6:43pm On Sep 13, 2014
logicboy01:

And where is the hypocrisy?

Show me

Wasn't I explicit enough?

Let me tell you a story, then.

-A law with a religious undertone was passed down to a secular community, most of whom are christians.
-The christians among them accepted the law readily enough.
-Some of the citizens with atheistic background shrugged it off since it doesn't really affect their daily lives.
-A tiny minority of the atheistic populace disagree and decided to sue the government.
-What is the law?
-The law simply enforces one to say "God bless America" after every speech or prayer as the case may be.
-A law that was formed to instill and propagate patriotism among the citizenry.
-A law that was universally accepted, save for that certain tiny minority that are of the perception that the law threatens their constitutional human right.
-A tiny minority so selfish that they want the law abolished in order to suit their personal ideology.

Sounds familiar? Now put atheism in "law's" shoes, then put religion in "tiny minority's" shoes. We would have a scenerio whereby atheism is trying it's utmost best to survive and religion on it's part playing it's bìtchy role to a tee.

Hypocrisy 101.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 11:07pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Wasn't I explicit enough?

Let me tell you a story, then.

-A law with a religious undertone was passed down to a secular community, most of whom are christians.
-The christians among them accepted the law readily enough.
-Some of the citizens with atheistic background shrugged it off since it doesn't really affect their daily lives.
-A tiny minority of the atheistic populace disagree and decided to sue the government.
-What is the law?
-The law simply enforces one to say "God bless America" after every speech or prayer as the case may be.
-A law that was formed to instill and propagate patriotism among the citizenry.
-A law that was universally accepted, save for that certain tiny minority that are of the perception that the law threatens their constitutional human right.
-A tiny minority so selfish that they want the law abolished in order to suit their personal ideology.

Sounds familiar? Now put atheism in "law's" shoes, then put religion in "tiny minority's" shoes. We would have a scenerio whereby atheism is trying it's utmost best to survive and religion on it's part playing it's bìtchy role to a tee.

Hypocrisy 101.

Take a look at the bold.

1) It is not exactly a law but a a mandatory requirement (oath?) for those joining the Airforce

2) It is not universally accepted. Actually, it is universally seen to be id.iotic in secular countries. The very UK that USA copied the oath from doesnt even have the requirement (it is optional to mention the part about God)

3) The very oath (requiring mentioning God) has been removed in the courts and other arms of the armed forces because of its unconstitutionality. It is now optional to mention God

4) It is not a perception of threatening atheists constitutional rights. The mandatory oath is both illegal and unconstitutional against the freedom of religion.

And here is the most important point about your FOOLISH POST;

-RayMcblue; A tiny minority so selfish that they want the law abolished in order to suit their personal ideology.

5) The same thing slave owning whites said about blacks. The same thing white segregationist said about the rights of black people.

Conclusion; you are an ignorant tool and I am not a hypocrite

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 4:26am On Sep 14, 2014
^^Oh well... undecided

I have another analogy lined up, but what's the point? I might as well splash an hot water on a cold granite wall... an effort in futility. You can take a horse to a pond, forcing it to drink on the other hand is futile, it's entirely up to it. Have it your own way, sport. Adios.

8 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by MrAnony1(m): 6:46am On Sep 14, 2014
I pledge to Nigeria my country,
to be faithful, loyal and honest.
To serve Nigeria will all my strength,
to defend her unity,
and uphold her honour and glory,
so help me God.

Is it proper for a public official upon being sworn into office to reject the Nigerian national pledge and then go on to sue the state for not changing the national pledge for him?

What next?

"Change the national coat of arms because I'm a Jew and eagles are unclean animals. While you're at it I have a problem with supporting a team called super eagles."?

"Change the cross in the England flag because I am a British muslim"?

Where does it stop?

While I can understand the sentiments of the atheist soldier, I believe that standing up for your beliefs is best shown by forfeiting those things that go contrary to it and not by trying to force them to comply specially with your beliefs.

Edit: Oh wait, "atheism is not a belief" Now that's kinda odd isn't it

5 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 7:23am On Sep 14, 2014

The U.S. Constitution also provides that "No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification of any Office or public Trust under the United States

It is not hard to spot a dubious religious apologist or a pseudointellectual; they put up strawmen and irrelevant analogies to argue away from the original point.

The US constitution clearly voids mandating any religious test for a govt job (eg making "so help me God" mandatory)

But here we have Anony arguing irrelevant things
-"atheism is a religion"
-"what of if Jews dont like eagles as they are unclean animals"
-"the soldier should leave the airforce if he doesnt like it"

We are talking freedom from religion in the constitutiom and pseudointellectuals are calling atheism a religion grin grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by quivah(f): 7:25am On Sep 14, 2014
Francis ... how u dey??

you still never change this your self praising attitude enh??..

pride my nigguh!
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by YoungDaNaval(m): 8:02am On Sep 14, 2014
Good 4 Dem!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. / RCCG Church Abuja Attacked, Looted And Burnt By Suspected Extremists (Photo) / A Christian Group Feeds Muslim Beggars On Sallah Day (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.