Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,046 members, 7,799,538 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. (55008 Views)

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / Some English Words You Prolly Never Come Across Or Heard Off But Are Hardly Used (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Johnnoo(m): 7:06am On Sep 12, 2014
Nice one @Op

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Aydesmond(m): 7:06am On Sep 12, 2014
all lies

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by hiidee(m): 7:06am On Sep 12, 2014
good one
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by mastercee(m): 7:06am On Sep 12, 2014
Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by illicit(m): 7:06am On Sep 12, 2014
LASSA FEVER
I knew this one right from my sec sch days, the word LASSA in that phrase refers to a village in northern nigeria where that particular strain of fever was first discovered. its the only word i ever came accross then in the oxford dictionary with nigerian origin.

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Mayydayy(m): 7:07am On Sep 12, 2014
oyinbo.na so dem go borrow.refine.come claim.

oronshi since 1400

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by yinkarh187(m): 7:08am On Sep 12, 2014
mtcheww...total rubbish...i can't see any resemblance...boko to bogus smh...can't believe i wasted my last mb viewin dis

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by mustymatic(m): 7:08am On Sep 12, 2014
feels good...wats this thread about
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Dreyl(m): 7:09am On Sep 12, 2014
Nice one!
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by shejane: 7:10am On Sep 12, 2014
"Me" in English is also the same thing as "mu" in igbo

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 12, 2014
what about * Udara

*Pikin

*Ejima

*Moluwe grin
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by solara: 7:11am On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nugeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absolved into English emanating from Nigeria b7t certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.

Your award is in heaven

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Lakayanah: 7:12am On Sep 12, 2014
Why do I fine this hard to believe. Fabu! !!!
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:12am On Sep 12, 2014
Okro and okra are two different things; one stands for the seed, the other for fruit itself. They are almost like palm oil and oil palm; one is processed, the other is not.

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by emmyclassic(m): 7:14am On Sep 12, 2014
lepasharon: Juju is a French word
Use your dictionary

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Sealeddeal(m): 7:14am On Sep 12, 2014
419 scam. Its is an english word and originated from Nigeria. It is synonymous to the word 'Advance fee fraud' in Longman Dictionary.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Lilprocess(m): 7:16am On Sep 12, 2014
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Wisdytech(m): 7:19am On Sep 12, 2014
So Nigerian now has its own DICTIONARY?
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by otipoju(m): 7:19am On Sep 12, 2014
juju has french origins... it means play thing .. jou-jou
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by 4C2215131: 7:20am On Sep 12, 2014
lepasharon: Juju is a French word

Sho' you right. Could have made the argument if we'd been colonised by the french. But we weren't as far as I can tell.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Abbey2sam(m): 7:21am On Sep 12, 2014
francleanflexy: this is very educative
i didn't even know that there was any english word with a nigerian origin, Even though the okro stuff always confused me

then you don't use your dictionary often
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 12, 2014
iceberylin: Calm down , leme Call Britain and confarm this wink
sorry to ask this bro, are you the one in that pix making phone call?? The nigga oways got me laffing with his funny face.

4 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Akalia(m): 7:28am On Sep 12, 2014
iceberylin: Calm down , leme Call Britain and confarm this wink
mehn dis pix don cast
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 12, 2014
OP, der is no such word as 'tamgu' in ibibio. So wia dem get dat one from na?
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by BlackPeni5: 7:30am On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nugeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absolved into English emanating from Nigeria b7t certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.

Lol...e dey pain you say the OP no mention yoruba...you just had to include it by fire by force cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by iceberylin(m): 7:30am On Sep 12, 2014
yea bro grin
am i so Cute
[quote
author=urhoboman]sorry to ask this bro, are you the one in that pix
making phone call?? The nigga oways got me laffing with his funny
face.[/quote]
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by bknight: 7:31am On Sep 12, 2014
7. Kobalize: derived from the yoruba phrase 'akoba' which means 'trouble'. To 'kobalize' someone is to putthe person in trouble.

Eg It was Ade that kobalized him in the exam hall.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Emmyk(m): 7:34am On Sep 12, 2014
cheesy
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 12, 2014
Accra was from "Acrayin" meaning "ants". The whites was Ghanaians as ants so they named them so. #iknowaccraisnottotallyanenglishword# cheesy[color=#770077][/color][b][/b]
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Fashrobbin(m): 7:36am On Sep 12, 2014
Nigerian try small

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today / WAEC 2019 Maths Questions And Answers | 2019/2020 WAEC Maths Expo, Runz (runs) / Yabatech 2011/2012 Post Utme Examination/screening Exercise And Admission Detail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.