Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? (3177 Views)

Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? / Mourinho Desperate To Sell Either Torres Or John Obi Mikel Or Petr Cech / Inside John Obi Mikel's House - Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nigerianvenom(m): 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
Taken from the Pepsi football academy by Plateau
united, one of Nigeria’s top flight clubs, John
Michael Nchekwube Obinna was one of Nigeria’s
brightest young talents. His immense capabilities
however, ensured that he was well sought after
by clubs outside the countries shores. Trials at
Ajax Cape town of South Africa and a subsequent
move to Norwegian club Lynn Oslo, meant that
his career was moving at a pace that footballers
his age only dreamed about.

Things got even better for the Nigerian, who got
an unexpected name change when the Nigerian
football association submitted his name as
‘Mikel’ instead of Michael for the tournament in
Finland. A name he kept and has now made
famous. An amazing tournament at the 2005
world youth championship, in which he was
second only to Lionel Messi, saw his stock rise
and he’s signature courted by two of England’s
elite clubs in Manchester United and Chelsea. A
public tussle for his signature and a drawn out
legal battle saw Chelsea football club finally win
the race to sign the highly rated Nigerian
International.

Mikel was rated at this time, as having the
potential to be amongst the playmakers in the
game of football. It was whispered in some
quarters that the Manchester United manager, Sir
Alex Ferguson had chosen Mikel Obi to eventually
be Paul Scholes successor at the club (Scholes
eventually retired in 2013).

John Mikel Obi was a natural No.10. His long and
short range of passing was impressive to say the
least, and when in a tight corner could beat his
man and take the ball forward into space. Every
Nigerian was optimistic of having found the
natural successor to the midfield maestro Austin
‘Jay Jay’ Okocha. No one, not even the best
scouts in the world saw any potential in the
young lad as a defensive midfielder.
This perception was not improved by the red card
Obi was given in one of his earlier matches for
Chelsea against Reading in the premiership for
two ill advised tackles.

Due to certain absences in the squad, Jose
Mourinho tried out the Nigerian in the defensive
midfield holding role against Tottenham hotspur
in their FA cup sixth round replay in which he
impresses greatly. Displaying competence in his
defensive positioning, ability to track or mark his
man in a zonal system, and an above average
strength. His long range of passing also proved
surprisingly useful, in recycling possession to the
attacking players. His ability to also slow down
the tempo, when his team needed a break from
attacking pressure was praised very highly. More
impressive defensive displays in subsequent
games, led to his being assigned the role full
time, when Makalele left for Paris.
Subsequently, John Obi’s attacking impetus
seemed to have suddenly disappeared. Except for
the few times he appeared for Nigeria. Rumor had
it that Chelsea boss, Jose Mourinho eliciting the
help of Claude Makalele, had given the Nigerian
certain tips about how to effectively play his new
position.

1. Rarely ever give a risky pass or Gallop forward

A defensive midfielder is supposed to be the
defensive anchor. And with fullbacks usually
overlapping, the anchor man should always be
ready to slot into central defense were one of
original center backs goes to cover a full back.
Where he isn’t a hundred percent sure that a
pass he’s about to give will get to its destination,
the rule is never to give it. This was rumored to
have been the reason Mikel rarely made forward
runs and rarely gave a risky pass.

2. Rarely ever shoot

Every time an outfield player shoots the ball,
there’s always a possibility of a block from the
opposition team. The only exception to this rule
in football is a penalty shoot out. Now if a player
who’s supposed to be a defensive shield, breaks
the second rule and gallops forward, he should
rarely shoot at goal as a block could rebound of a
defender and a counter attack could be in full
flow, with an out of position Anchorman to
compound things.
Evidently Mikel listened and adapted to his
situation and has been at Chelsea for 10years and
counting and making over 400 appearances for
Chelsea, in an Era were supposedly better players
have been replaced by someone better. Jose
Mourinho might have deprived Nigeria of a
potentially lethal, attacking juggernaut. But in a
club that are known for purchasing a host of
attacking players that they rarely ever need,
would Mikel still had been at Chelsea, if he was
an attacker? Would he have beaten out the likes
of Frank Lampard, Juan Mata and Oscar?
At the end of the day Mikel’s career has been well
served by Jose Mourinho’s decision to switch his
position. He’s not one of the best players in the
world and in my humble opinion he was never
going to be. Coming 2 in a youth tournament
was never a guarantee of that. At the end of the
day, John Mikel Obi would if given a choice before
hand,have settle for being one of the best and
most decorated players in African football history.
To further portray my point;
John Mikel Obi Honours:
Premier league (1)
FA cup (4)
League Cup (1)
Community shield (1)`
Uefa Champions League (1)
Uefa Europa League (1)
Africa Cup of Nations (1)
African young player of the year (2)
2 best player of the world youth championship
So to answer the question; Did Jose Mourinho kill
Mikel’s game by changing his role?

justchelsea.com/did-mourinho-kill-john-obi-mikels-game-by-changing-his-role/7361?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JustChelseaNews+%28Just+Chelsea+News%29
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by ammyluv2002(f): 3:50pm On Sep 12, 2014
I think he did

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nigerianvenom(m): 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2014

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by edi287: 6:17pm On Sep 12, 2014
Ancelotti did the same with pirlo...didn't stop pirlo from turning out worldclass.

4 Likes

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by arsetalks(m): 6:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
Thanks for reproducing our article here and referencing us. Makes me feel good.

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by Lily4star(f): 7:21pm On Sep 12, 2014
Everybody knows he obviously did, now instead of being a decorated and World class player, he is now a decorated flop of a player. He sacrificed his initial attacking role to Mourinho and Chelsea.

Chelsea's gain, Mikels loss
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nigerianvenom(m): 7:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
arsetalks: Thanks for reproducing our article here and referencing us. Makes me feel good.

ur article?
pls tell me more cos i might be ignorant.tanx
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by arsetalks(m): 8:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
nigerianvenom:

ur article?
pls tell me more cos i might be ignorant.tanx
The site belongs to me.

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nigerianvenom(m): 9:28pm On Sep 12, 2014
arsetalks: The site belongs to me.
Wow!nice.was directed to it through chelsea's fan site
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by arsetalks(m): 9:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
arsetalks: The site belongs to me.
Chelseanews.com abi?

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by arsetalks(m): 9:56pm On Sep 12, 2014
nigerianvenom:
Wow!nice.was directed to it through chelsea's fan site
Chelseanews.com abi?
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nifton(m): 10:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
Mourinho u don kill mikelis obelis,oya chop am o.
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by Arsenalholic(m): 12:37am On Sep 13, 2014
No? Did you watch Mr. Obi strut his stuff at the WYC in 2005. He glided through the midfield with purpose and grace.

As of then he was blessed with a quick brain, fair technicality and attack-mindedness that made you purr.

He could dribble(I remembered a particular scene in the semis against morroco, when the lad went past thr33 players with superb movement), pass as at when due, he could even deliver good balls from set-pieces.

He went to Chelsea and the whole story changed. I can't categorically recollect the number of REd/Yellow cards he picked up in his first season at Chelsea. Mou killed his attacking instincts badly.

Today what do we have? A Mikel who strolls around the pitch(like he's carrying a heavy calabash of water on his head), can make accurate passes, can't shoot, can't even deliver those beautiful crosses from set-pieces. All of his flaws are especially highlighted when he dorns the National colours. Does he feel he is bigger than Nigeria? That looks like the case.

Mikel had a beautiful start as an attacking midfielder, but his move to Chelsea under the tutorship of the ever pragmatic Mou proved to be a wrong decision.

I still maintain my stand, that had Mr. Obi opted to play for Man. U, he'd have been far better off than he is today- at least in an attacking sense.

3 Likes

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by Iamzuna(m): 7:17am On Sep 13, 2014
Tis not an excuse. Yaya Toure plays in defense and does well

2 Likes

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by M4gunners: 10:01am On Sep 13, 2014
Is this a quastion? Everybody who knows Mikel b4 weill not have to weast time b4 answering this quastion, yes he did and he is still killing him by keeping he 90 in the bench.
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by incredibleone: 10:49am On Sep 13, 2014
When fit,thiago plays dm for bayern!!! Xo what excuse does mikel have?.......if u av any ball sense when u watched d U-20 cup,mikel was slow even then,tho good.......lampard is the best amf of his generation statistically!! What should mou do? Pirlo is also slow,but he improved........u guys ar trying to cover up for mikel's laziness nd lack of improvement by blaming mou......mou also killed haruna,chrisantus and rabiu,ryt? Mikel is over age,plain truth!!

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by hensben(m): 11:10am On Sep 13, 2014
Arsenalholic: No? Did you watch Mr. Obi strut his stuff at the WYC in 2005. He glided through the midfield with purpose and grace.

As of then he was blessed with a quick brain, fair technicality and attack-mindedness that made you purr.

He could dribble(I remembered a particular scene in the semis against morroco, when the lad went past thr33 players with superb movement), pass as at when due, he could even deliver good balls from set-pieces.

He went to Chelsea and the whole story changed. I can't categorically recollect the number of REd/Yellow cards he picked up in his first season at Chelsea. Mou killed his attacking instincts badly.

Today what do we have? A Mikel who strolls around the pitch(like he's carrying a heavy calabash of water on his head), can make accurate passes, can't shoot, can't even deliver those beautiful crosses from set-pieces. All of his flaws are especially highlighted when he dorns the National colours. Does he feel he is bigger than Nigeria? That looks like the case.

Mikel had a beautiful start as an attacking midfielder, but his move to Chelsea under the tutorship of the ever pragmatic Mou proved to be a wrong decision.

I still maintain my stand, that had Mr. Obi opted to play for Man. U, he'd have been far better off than he is today- at least in an attacking sense.
@bolded, like the way man utd make manucho, djemba djemba, quinton fortune, miram diouf and pogba(all african) world class right? the truth is that mikel made a right decision to sign for chelsea, SAF doesnt give africans chance to develope, he prefer to use cleverly(a UK average player) cos he uses it to get help from referee and english FA and it worked for him unlike chelsea who have good relationship with africa players over the years....fyi, mikel was not an established player when chelsea signed him so was the fuse

3 Likes

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nigerianvenom(m): 11:35am On Sep 13, 2014
arsetalks: Chelseanews.com abi?

yea,i booked marked it and visit it always.do u own it?
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by nigerianvenom(m): 11:40am On Sep 13, 2014
hensben: @bolded, like the way man utd make manucho, djemba djemba, quinton fortune, miram diouf and pogba(all african) world class right? the truth is that mikel made a right decision to sign for chelsea, SAF doesnt give africans chance to develope, he prefer to use cleverly(a UK average player) cos he uses it to get help from referee and english FA and it worked for him unlike chelsea who have good relationship with africa players over the years....fyi, mikel was not an established player when chelsea signed him so was the fuse

u hit the right spot.mikel would have been an expired product if he had signed for man u.SLF doesnt like african players,manucho really comes to mind
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by Arsenalholic(m): 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2014
hensben: @bolded, like the way man utd make manucho, djemba djemba, quinton fortune, miram diouf and pogba(all african) world class right? the truth is that mikel made a right decision to sign for chelsea, SAF doesnt give africans chance to develope, he prefer to use cleverly(a UK average player) cos he uses it to get help from referee and english FA and it worked for him unlike chelsea who have good relationship with africa players over the years....fyi, mikel was not an established player when chelsea signed him so was the fuse
I see where you are coming from.

But i want to refer to the very later part of your comment. No one said Mikel was an established player. Even Messi with all his mesmeric displays in that tourney wasn't an established player as of then.

But then, try to compare Mikel's stat at Lyn Oslo(when he was supposedly raw) and his stat at Chelsea(the first season) and see the difference.

Mikel wasn't established, agreed! But he needed to make the right choice to enhance his development. What we're saying now is, going to Chelsea was the wrong decision. As Mou hampered his progress rather than develop him.

2 Likes

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by hensben(m): 12:01pm On Sep 13, 2014
incredibleone: When fit,thiago plays dm for bayern!!! Xo what excuse does mikel have?.......if u av any ball sense when u watched d U-20 cup,mikel was slow even then,tho good.......lampard is the best amf of his generation statistically!! What should mou do? Pirlo is also slow,but he improved........u guys ar trying to cover up for mikel's laziness nd lack of improvement by blaming mou......mou also killed haruna,chrisantus and rabiu,ryt? Mikel is over age,plain truth!!
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by hensben(m): 12:07pm On Sep 13, 2014
incredibleone: When fit,thiago plays dm for bayern!!! Xo what excuse does mikel have?.......if u av any ball sense when u watched d U-20 cup,mikel was slow even then,tho good.......lampard is the best amf of his generation statistically!! What should mou do? Pirlo is also slow,but he improved........u guys ar trying to cover up for mikel's laziness nd lack of improvement by blaming mou......mou also killed haruna,chrisantus and rabiu,ryt? Mikel is over age,plain truth!!
tell him, who nor know say naija dey use over age at youth level, mikel was lucky to be signed, he had good agent(john shittu)..people talk as if mikel was already at lampard level when he signed for chelsea therefore, mou killed his game, mikel was not an established player when h signed for chelsea, he only shone at under 20 level which is normal for any player at that football stage.Even, white people are now aware that africans most especially nigerians cheat at that football stage.mikel should b grateful he chose chelsea over man utd if not he would have been forgotten by now like manucho, djemba djemba, miram diouf, quinton fortune, et al, SAF doesnt give africans chance to prove themselves at man utd, he rather play cleverly, welbeck an average player cos they are uk players which was an advantage for him over his years at man utd(i.e, he got more advantage from referee and english FA).
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by hensben(m): 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2014
Arsenalholic: I see where you are coming from.

But i want to refer to the very later part of your comment. No one said Mikel was an established player. Even Messi with all his mesmeric displays in that tourney wasn't an established player as of then.

But then, try to compare Mikel's stat at Lyn Oslo(when he was supposedly raw) and his stat at Chelsea(the first season) and see the difference.

Mikel wasn't established, agreed! But he needed to make the right choice to enhance his development. What we're saying now is, going to Chelsea was the wrong decision. As Mou hampered his progress rather than develop him.
bro you re wrong, epl is not norwegian league, lyn oslo is not chelsea, when mikel arrived chelsea they were having makelele, essien, ballack, lampard, geremy all were establish players so how do you expect mikel to come in and be a starter or an AMF when lampard was assisting and scoring for fun then, mou was trying to build him up to replace makelele cos he(makelele) was already at his declining stage then and also mikel has the size and physique to become world class there but what happened,mou resigned as a chelsea coach the following season. Do you know that makelele started as AMF at nantes but today he is known as one of the best DMF to ever grace the game. mikel played UCL, FAs, CARLIN CUP FINALS for chelsea and they won all so mikel is not a flop as you people feel neither he is a world class player, yes he was flop at 2014 WC same with c. ronaldo. if you play football you ought to know players have bad times on the pitch...everyday is not christmas.

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by Litmus: 3:29pm On Sep 13, 2014
Yes.

Chelsea wanted him to play a huffing-puffing, chasing and holding role like that what's-his-name African player that they had before who was always being praised. It was a slavish, subservient and unadventurous role and I remember thinking, darn, i wish now that Obi had gone to Man-united. The role diminished Obi, destroying his sense of assertiveness and adventure, subsequently his skill and blossoming "magic" -for want of a better term.
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by Arsenalholic(m): 5:05pm On Sep 13, 2014
hensben: bro you re wrong, epl is not norwegian league, lyn oslo is not chelsea, when mikel arrived chelsea they were having makelele, essien, ballack, lampard, geremy all were establish players so how do you expect mikel to come in and be a starter or an AMF when lampard was assisting and scoring for fun then, mou was trying to build him up to replace makelele cos he(makelele) was already at his declining stage then and also mikel has the size and physique to become world class there but what happened,mou resigned as a chelsea coach the following season. Do you know that makelele started as AMF at nantes but today he is known as one of the best DMF to ever grace the game. mikel played UCL, FAs, CARLIN CUP FINALS for chelsea and they won all so mikel is not a flop as you people feel neither he is a world class player, yes he was flop at 2014 WC same with c. ronaldo. if you play football you ought to know players have bad times on the pitch...everyday is not christmas.
Well well well. Nice points. But i don't think my perception of him has changed.

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by seankay(m): 5:21pm On Sep 13, 2014
1 million likes

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by seankay(m): 5:28pm On Sep 13, 2014
Once you tell that African player that shined at Manchester United fc then imma agree with the OP mikel made a mistake signing for Chelsea.
Over the years, I've seen players forced to change their positions and that didn't hamper their progress...Yaya Toure was and attacking midfielder, he was converted to dmf, even at a point, he played as a cb.today, yaya can play cb, dmf, cmf, amf effectively, same with essien.Azpilicueta is naturally a rb, today he plays d lb as if he's been playing that position for years.Even mikel was lucky cos lass diara had to play d rb to get games and that didn't stop him from improving his game, he even played for Madrid. Mascherano plays as a cb for barca but he's regarded as one of the best dmf in the world.Mikel has no excuse, if u are good, u are good!

4 Likes

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by arsetalks(m): 5:38pm On Sep 13, 2014
nigerianvenom:

yea,i booked marked it and visit it always.do u own it?
I am the owner of justchelsea.com, arsetalks.com, Arsenalbanter.com, chelsea2d.co.uk, chelseafc360.com, writtenoffside.com, soccerfanbase.com/blog and others. It is what I do for a living.
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by hensben(m): 5:56pm On Sep 13, 2014
seankay: Once you tell that African player that shined at Manchester United fc then imma agree with the OP mikel made a mistake signing for Chelsea.
Over the years, I've seen players forced to change their positions and that didn't hamper their progress...Yaya Toure was and attacking midfielder, he was converted to dmf, even at a point, he played as a cb.today, yaya can play cb, dmf, cmf, amf effectively, same with essien.Azpilicueta is naturally a rb, today he plays d lb as if he's been playing that position for years.Even mikel was lucky cos lass diara had to play d rb to get games and that didn't stop him from improving his game, he even played for Madrid. Mascherano plays as a cb for barca but he's regarded as one of the best dmf in the world.Mikel has no excuse, if u are good, u are good!
1000000000000000000000000billion likes

1 Like

Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:02am On Sep 14, 2014
edi287: Ancelotti did the same with pirlo...didn't stop pirlo from turning out worldclass.
Ancelotti plays a possessive style football, so Andrea Pirlo could blossom despite playing deep. At Chelsea, they do not play a possessive style football so the change of role is detrimental to Mike L's game.

Because, Ancelotti's style was possessive, Mikel did well under him.

The change of role affected Mikel, just as converting Messi to a defensive midfielder will affect Messi.
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:10am On Sep 14, 2014
Iamzuna: Tis not an excuse. Yaya Toure plays in defense and does well
As a defensive midfielder at Barcelona FC, Yaya Toure was not a respected Super Star. He was even used as a defender.

At Man City, he had Gareth Barry behind him, given him the license to express himself and slowly he has developed into one of the fiercest mid fielders on the planet.

Mikel does not play with a defensive midfielder behind him, so hi instinct is to defend and not leave gaps. This is because he can not tackle. Remember his red cards. He had to change his game and sit back to be tidy.

It also happened to Seydou Keita, Nigeria '99 WYC best player over the likes of Ronaldinho, Forlan, Xavi, Cambiasso etc. The change of role affected him especially when he was at Barca.
Re: Did Mourinho Kill John Obi Mikel’s Game By Changing His Role? by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:13am On Sep 14, 2014
Thiago does not play defensive midfield. Most of last season, Lahm played that role.

Mikel does not know how to tackle, so he can not be expressive. He reads the game and intercepts. With a defensive midfielder like Sani Kaita earlier in his career and Ogude or Onazi (when he stays back) Mikel excels.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tyson Fury DrawsThe World Heavyweight Championship Match Against Deontay Wilder. / Drogba And Rooney Who Is The Best / Can Floyd Mayweather Fight Anthony Joshua?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.