Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,355 members, 7,780,952 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:18 AM

Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money (4318 Views)

Smile 4G Network Now In Lagos, Abuja, PH, Onitsha, Ibadan, Kaduna, Benin & Asaba / Help Oh...mtn Is ROBBING ME OOOOO / Pls Help Me Unbrick My HARD BRICK Tecno N9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 2:44am On Sep 13, 2014
I have been using Smile Communications as my Internet Service Provider for about 18 months now. I am into researching, writing and business development and because of that, i need constant access to the internet.

I found MTN, Airtel and the likes to be kinda slow and when i heard of Smile and its 4GLite speed, i was happy to embrace it. And then the whole ish began....

I noticed that 1Gb usually didn't last me for more than 5 days( i never download, just research through google and e-mails, finish). Then i upgraded to 3Gb and even that didn't last for more than 2 weeks. When i complained, they said 4GLite usually consumes data bla bla and even though i was unhappy, i had no choice but to keep using it cos i felt it was fast.

Until i started noticing that 1Gb was now depleting within 2 days, so i learnt the art of switching off d device at all times when i'm not using it and even when i am, i would switch it on only to send mails. That was how i caught them.

On tuesday, i bought 1Gb and turned my device on only 3 times, i was shocked yesterday morning when they sent me a mail saying that i had only 74mb left. I was like, okay, maybe i wasnt too sure. Then around 5PM yesterday evening, i bought another 1GB and turned the device off. I slept around 8pm.

I woke up around 1AM and checked my mails on my tablet( i use airtel for my android tablet and only use Smile for my laptop). And then i got a mail saying my smile balance was low. I was like WTF!!!. Then i checked my transaction history and they said i used 940 MB between 9pm -12pm.

Please note
I was asleep at the said time.
My device was turned off.
My laptop was turned off too.
I live alone.
The device is still turned off as i type this.

Please, how is it possible to use 940MB when the device is turned off and i'm asleep. I called them and they kept insisting i used the device to download when i am 100% sure i never turned the device on.

I want to report them to NCC and take the case up but before i do, please i want to know if anyone else has experienced similar issues with Smile ISP and also, is there any reasonable explanation for what i just experienced?

Tech Gurus, please i need your help here.

Thanks.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Gboliwe: 3:09am On Sep 13, 2014
If for any reason you begin to question your sanity because you are using a service your pay for, I would advice you quickly discontinue with that service.

I do not use smile but I had the exact same kind of experience with MTN network and their data. The day I ported was the day I got my sanity back. I mean, I was always complaining, switching off and on of my phone, yet my data will always disappear and the useless agents at the customer service will always insist that their records showed I browsed away 1G in 6days when I didn't download anything and I use a blackberry not even an android. It was always me against them. Pathetic!

Then one day, with my own hands, I signed them away but not before I fingerlashed them on their facebook page.
You should do the same
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 3:23am On Sep 13, 2014
Gboliwe: If for any reason you begin to question your sanity because you are using a service your pay for, I would advice you quickly discontinue with that service.

I do not use smile but I had the exact same kind of experience with MTN network and their data. The day I ported was the day I got my sanity back. I mean, I was always complaining, switching off and on of my phone, yet my data will always disappear and the useless agents at the customer service will always insist that their records showed I browsed away 1G in 6days when I didn't download anything and I use a blackberry not even an android. It was always me against them. Pathetic!

Then one day, with my own hands, I signed them away but not before I fingerlashed them on their facebook page.
You should do the same

Hmmn Na wa o. Right now, i can't even sleep cos i'm unhappy. 4K within a week for something i didn't use. How long will we keep suffering all these useless companies in this country?

Thanks for ur advice though. I'm throwing the device away but not before disrupting their services tommorrow and on Monday.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Gboliwe: 3:25am On Sep 13, 2014
cremeandchic:

Hmmn Na wa o. Right now, i can't even sleep cos i'm unhappy. 4K within a week for something i didn't use. How long will we keep suffering all these useless companies in this country?

Thanks for ur advice though. I'm throwing the device away but not before disrupting their services tommorrow and on Monday.
Just imagine! You used your own hard earned money to buy yourself sleeplessness! Chai!

1 Like

Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by nenergy(m): 3:36am On Sep 13, 2014
Maybe someone hacked your wireless. Living on your data.....Its a possibility!

4 Likes

Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by temi4fash(m): 3:38am On Sep 13, 2014
I think you should consider porting. My uncle use to experience same with swift too. So he ported to Spectranet and we have not had cause to complain. And the data is actually cheap too.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 3:51am On Sep 13, 2014
temi4fash: I think you should consider porting. My uncle use to experience same with swift too. So he ported to Spectranet and we have not had cause to complain. And the data is actually cheap too.

I'm in Ibadan. Does Spectranet work in Ibadan?
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 3:53am On Sep 13, 2014
nenergy: Maybe someone hacked your wireless. Living on your data.....Its a possibility!

Please, how do i confirm/investigate this?
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 3:54am On Sep 13, 2014
Gboliwe: Just imagine! You used your own hard earned money to buy yourself sleeplessness! Chai!

Lol. God will deal with them for me but i will make trouble....Plenty of it until i feel better. Thanks Gboliwe.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by temi4fash(m): 4:03am On Sep 13, 2014
cremeandchic:

I'm in Ibadan. Does Spectranet work in Ibadan?
oh sowi.. That I don't know. But you can check their site for details.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by braine(m): 4:12am On Sep 13, 2014
nenergy: Maybe someone hacked your wireless. Living on your data.....Its a possibility!

I thought about that too. Maybe her wifi is not protected and some bad guys are sucking it dry. grin
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 4:26am On Sep 13, 2014
braine:

I thought about that too. Maybe her wifi is not protected and some bad guys are sucking it dry. grin

My Wi-Fi is passworded but since i'm considering all possibilities; is it possible for the 'bad guys' to suck my data while d device is switched off?

How do i confirm this is the case?
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 4:32am On Sep 13, 2014
temi4fash: oh sowi.. That I don't know. But you can check their site for details.

Thank you
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by W3xy1(m): 5:58am On Sep 13, 2014
Lodge a complain on their Facebook page. I believe they will rectify it. https://m.facebook.com/SmileCommunicationsNigeria
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Handsomeemmy(m): 6:02am On Sep 13, 2014
Most of these companies are fraud, it is just unfortunate that our regulatory agencies are sleepy more than a pregnant woman.

Ordinary Nigerians pay for services with their hard-earned money yet hardly get half the satisfaction from the services they paid for.

1 Like

Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by nwaobitex: 6:17am On Sep 13, 2014
i feel ur pain
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Nobody: 7:37am On Sep 13, 2014
Seems all the service providers are out to kill Nigerians,am having same issue here with my Visafone.

I bought 7gig,and within 3 days,I saw a message on their portal that I have 5mb left. I was surprised,next thing,it didn't connect again.

Called their agent,I was told I exhausted my data,maybe there's underground application of my laptop consuming my data. I didn't download anything.

Funniest thing is that they always have an excuse for their inefficiency.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 7:56am On Sep 13, 2014
Yomieluv: Seems all the service providers are out to kill Nigerians,am having same issue here with my Visafone.

I bought 7gig,and within 3 days,I saw a message on their portal that I have 5mb left. I was surprised,next thing,it didn't connect again.

Called their agent,I was told I exhausted my data,maybe there's underground application of my laptop consuming my data. I didn't download anything.

Thats what they keep saying.....Like they are talking to illiterates. i turned all my updates off and stopped using Smile for my Android Tab.

This current issue obviously has no logical explanation cos i was asleep at the recorded time and the stupid device was Turned Off!
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by cremeandchic: 7:57am On Sep 13, 2014
Yomieluv: Seems all the service providers are out to kill Nigerians,am having same issue here with my Visafone.

Thats what they keep saying.....Like they are talking to illiterates. i turned all my updates off and stopped using Smile for my Android Tab.

This current issue obviously has no logical explanation cos i was asleep at the recorded time and the stupid device was Turned Off!
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 13, 2014
I don't like people hacking their networks but you can see why people go to extreme to make sure they get free services. My new android phone has about 3 apps that I used to track mtn shared data when I saw that the way my 1gig dey fly within 3 days is alarming . I noticed that the original data cap of 1gig is around 840mb. This forced me to change my emei and used glo as I saw somewhere on nl.Though I can afford it but I hate cheating of the highest order. Glo data cap is very accurate. Don't blame me I need justification for my money.

So at the end I get 3gig for 1k instead of 3k from mtn shared data. So u win?
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 9:27am On Sep 13, 2014
You guys should stop complaing expecially the guy that talked about Visafone......if you are using. window 8 then your data will have to roll out easily......I realised that my window 8 always sycronize whenever am online ....which makes it easy to update my mails and news at the homepage......I then realized that my laptop is in Auto update which also makes it easy to update my anti virus and other applications without even giving me any notification to do so.....which sums up to 777MB sometimes....ThankGod I realized on time, I have to manualize my system to work on my command......now I use 1GB Visafone and am online often and it will last upto 3 weeks without downloading......
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by omoboy08(m): 9:42am On Sep 13, 2014
4bobo: I don't like people hacking their networks but you can see why people go to extreme to make sure they get free services. My new android phone has about 3 apps that I used to track mtn shared data when I saw that the way my 1gig dey fly within 3 days is alarming . I noticed that the original data cap of 1gig is around 840mb. This forced me to change my emei and used glo as I saw somewhere on nl.Though I can afford it but I hate cheating of the highest order. Glo data cap is very accurate. Don't blame me I need justification for my money.

So at the end I get 3gig for 1k instead of 3k from mtn shared data. So u win?
Which type of method did u use for the imei stuff?
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 13, 2014
KAYCEEJUNIOR: You guys should stop complaing expecially the guy that talked about Visafone......if you are using. window 8 then your data will have to roll out easily......I realised that my window 8 always sycronize whenever am online ....which makes it easy to update my mails and news at the homepage......I then realized that my laptop is in Auto update which also makes it easy to update my anti virus and other applications without even giving me any notification to do so.....which sums up to 777MB sometimes....ThankGod I realized on time, I have to manualize my system to work on my command......now I use 1GB Visafone and am online often and it will last upto 3 weeks without downloading......
What about when she claimed she switched off the data?
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 13, 2014
omoboy08:
Which type of method did u use for the imei stuff?
After all the one from nl failed me I eventually Google it and settled for this. It worked for me but I don't know may be it will for you.
www.shelaf.com/2014/06/universal-method-for-changing-any.html?m=1
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 9:52am On Sep 13, 2014
4bobo:
What about when she claimed she switched off the data?
and what happen the period the system is in use.......once your system is on.....it will automatically start synconising all application and updating your internet anti virus and you won't know, except if you put it on manual....it will then notify you of any updates
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by omoboy08(m): 9:55am On Sep 13, 2014
4bobo:
After all the one from nl failed me I eventually Google it and settled for this. It worked for me but I don't know may be it will for you.
www.shelaf.com/2014/06/universal-method-for-changing-any.html?m=1
Thanks though, I'll give it a trial
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 13, 2014
KAYCEEJUNIOR: and what happen the period the system is in use.......once your system is on.....it will automatically start synconising all application and updating your internet anti virus and you won't know, except if you put it on manual....it will then notify you of any updates
Well, u are right but I can't speak for her. Though personally that's what I did since. Infact I have over 1gig of applications pending updates. But never the less don't trust this people. I caught mtn several times and am done with them.

1 Like

Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 10:00am On Sep 13, 2014
4bobo:
Well, u are right but I can't speak for her. Though personally that's what I did since. Infact I have over 1gig of applications pending updates. But never the less don't trust this people. I caught mtn several times and am done with them.
That's it.....since she's into research and also a girl...probably she may not understand how her computer works.....that's why her data runs out easily......
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by nenergy(m): 10:34am On Sep 13, 2014
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by nenergy(m): 11:12am On Sep 13, 2014
I checked their website and found some amazing data
management tips. Check it out.
Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by nani667: 11:24am On Sep 13, 2014
Swift 4G LTE is always the best option ✔

1 Like

Re: Smile Communication Has Been Robbing Me Of My Hard Earned Money by Femistico(m): 11:26am On Sep 13, 2014
trust no one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There A Way I Can Block A Particular Number On My Phone / Next Year's IPhone Might Steal A Feature From This Year's Most Suprising Android / Help Remove Blackberry Download Limit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.