Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,556 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:26 PM

An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (19620 Views)

The Ijaws That I Know / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 14, 2014
Why must you insult someone to pass a message.
He appreciate the info. op passed across.
Grow up Mr ijo

ijawcitizen: I know this troll would be here. A confirmed ignorant vulture who feeds on on carcass. I've never seen an Ijawphobic creature in my life who could render the Itsekiris ineffective at the game. Were you a fly in ur former life?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by mrgreen4real(m): 7:58am On Sep 14, 2014
I must marry Ijaw babe
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by asamaigho(m): 7:58am On Sep 14, 2014
ijawcitizen: I know this troll would be here. A confirmed ignorant vulture who feeds on on carcass. I've never seen an Ijawphobic creature in my life who could render the Itsekiris ineffective at the game. Were you a fly in ur former life?

sharrap ur dirty mouth...... the ITSEKIRIS ARE light years ahead of illiterate ijaws....in all ramifications

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by mrgreen4real(m): 8:01am On Sep 14, 2014
asamaigho:

sharrap ur dirty mouth...... the ITSEKIRIS ARE light years ahead of illiterate ijaws....in all ramifications
The Itsekiris I have as friendz are foolish pple
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 14, 2014
Since you don't travel alot, then try to read more of Nigeria politics and culture to be enlighten with its diversity.
You will discover how blessed we are with cultural diversity
urhoboman: heard you. But its not a disgrace to me, that's why I asked to learn from here. Am a lagosian. Never been to delta before.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by engrsyer(m): 8:18am On Sep 14, 2014
benson81: The Ijaw speak nine closely related Niger–Congo languages, all of which belong to the Ijoid branch of the Niger–Congo tree. The primary division between the Ijo languages is that between Eastern Ijo and Western Ijo, the most important of the former group of languages being Izon, which is spoken by about four million people.

There are two prominent groupings of the Izon language. The first, termed either Western or Central Izon (Ijaw) consists of Western Ijaw speakers: Ekeremor, Sagbama (Mein), Bassan, Apoi, Arogbo, Boma (Bumo), Kabo (Kabuowei), Ogboin, Tarakiri, and Kolokuma-Opokuma (Yenagoa).[citation needed] Nembe, Brass and Akassa (Akaha) dialects represent Southeast Ijo (Izon).[citation needed]. Buseni and Okordia dialects are considered Inland Ijo.[citation needed]

The other major Ijaw linguistic group is Kalabari. Kalabari is considered an Eastern Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name of one of the Ijaw clans that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc.) who form a major group in Rivers State, hence their involvement in the fight for greater oil control. Other "Eastern" Ijaw clans are the Okrika, Ibani (the natives of Bonny, Finima and Opobo) and Nkoroo. They are neighbours to the Kalabari people in present day Rivers State, Nigeria.

Other related Ijaw subgroups which have distinct languages but very close kinship, cultural and territorial ties with the rest of the Ijaw are the Epie-Atissa, Engenni (also known as Ẹgẹnẹ), and Degema (also called Udekama or Udekaama).[3] These groups speak Delta Edoid languages. The Ogbia clan, Andoni people, as well as residents of Bukuma and Abuloma (Obulom) speak Cross River languages.[citation needed]

It was discovered in the 1980s that a nearly extinct Berbice Creole Dutch, spoken in Guyana, is partly based on Ijo lexicon and grammar. Its nearest relative seems to be Eastern Ijo, most likely Kalabari (Kouwenberg 1994).

@ Op, where did u keep the good people of Bille Clan in the Eastern Ijo? Or is Bille not part of the Ijaw nation? Good work but do more research.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 14, 2014
My people dem
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by donefezy: 8:29am On Sep 14, 2014
urhoboman: Urhoboman, present#
I thought ijaw is a deltan tribe. How dem take stretch leg reach rivers?
I wonder oo
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 14, 2014
fingard02k: Ijo (Kalabari) people are wonderful people..have some friends
Thnk u

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Ikwerreboy(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2014
emmykk: Rivers state is ijaw dominated,i wonder why ameachi is supporting Northern APC candidature to win rivers state.

Greater wonder is how the ogoni with the support of ameachi will win rivers Gov with dominated ijaw. Time shall tell.

See you. Are the ijaws in rivers state more populated than the ikwerres? The ans is NO.
It was before when bayelsa state was with rivers state the ikwerres were seen as one of the minority in rivers state.
But now we are 40%-45% of rivers state population with 4 local govt areas.
Any candidate Ikwerre pple acept 4 governorship/Presidential election done win.
If ikwerre pple dom Goodluck Jonathan, he will probably loose in rivers state.
Supervising minister of education nyesom wike get courage to contest for Governor because in from Ikwerre.
That why amaechi is going about telling other ethnic group that they should not allow an ikwerre become the gov after him who is an ikwerre man. or else only the ikwerres will continue to be governor in rivers state because of there population. That it is only him(Gov amaechi) that can kick against that if they all join hands with him and vote in someone from another ethnic group in rivers state probably from A.P.C

Were the ijaws own population is in bayelsa and dellta.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by UnknownT: 8:36am On Sep 14, 2014
emmykk: Rivers state is ijaw dominated,i wonder why ameachi is supporting Northern APC candidature to win rivers state.

Greater wonder is how the ogoni with the support of ameachi will win rivers Gov with dominated ijaw. Time shall tell.
Dat was the Old Rivers State that the Ijaws were dominant, not NOW!

Haa Izon!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 14, 2014
maki: Proudly Kalabari, Proudly Ijaw....
Good 1 sista.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 14, 2014
Bro dnt waste ur tym on him
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 14, 2014
mrgreen4real: I must marry Ijaw babe
Dem make sense!
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by macof(m): 8:50am On Sep 14, 2014
sunnedee:
I may be wrong but I think some ijaws are also in ondo state

Only two Towns, which speak Yoruba as well as their native dialects
Their monarchs are even called Oba and praised with "Kabiesi"

but their history and general culture is,ijaw

4 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 14, 2014
Ikwerreboy:

See you. Are the ijaws in rivers state more populated than the ikwerres? The ans is NO.
It was before when bayelsa state was with rivers state the ikwerres were seen as one of the minority in rivers state.
But now we are 40%-45% of rivers state population with 4 local govt areas.
Any candidate Ikwerre pple acept 4 governorship/Presidential election done win.
If ikwerre pple dom Goodluck Jonathan, he will probably loose in rivers state.
Supervising minister of education nyesom wike get courage to contest for Governor because in from Ikwerre.
That why amaechi is going about telling other ethnic group that they should not allow an ikwerre become the gov after him who is an ikwerre man. or else only the ikwerres will continue to be governor in rivers state because of there population. That it is only him(Gov amaechi) that can kick against that if they all join hands with him and vote in someone from another ethnic group in rivers state probably from A.P.C

Were the ijaws own population is in bayelsa and dellta.
Hey u ikweres av 4 LGS, kalabari 3,okrika 2. Pls do d math. I av Nt even mention andonis, opobos,ibani(bonny) n odas and u r displaying ignorance of statistics mind u Rivers State has just 23 LGs.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by armadeo(m): 9:00am On Sep 14, 2014
sunnedee:

You aren't wrong.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:02am On Sep 14, 2014

So, by stating the fact that Ogbia and Degema are not even Ijoid,let alone Ijaw, i am being IJAWPHOBIC? Nawa for you o!

4 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:03am On Sep 14, 2014
armadeo:

You aren't wrong.

He is right.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:08am On Sep 14, 2014
abelbriggs:
Hey u ikweres av 4 LGS, kalabari 3,okrika 2. Pls do d math. I av Nt even mention andonis, opobos,ibani(bonny) n odas and u r displaying ignorance of statistics mind u Rivers State has just 23 LGs.

Andoni is not Ijaw, Andoni is like Ibibio with mixture of Igbo and Ijaw. Opobo is a hybrid of Igbo and Ijaw, and not Ijaw.

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by ahnie: 9:09am On Sep 14, 2014
Branches of izon lingua
urhoboman: Urhoboman, present#
I thought ijaw is a deltan tribe. How dem take stretch leg reach rivers?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by boix(m): 9:09am On Sep 14, 2014
sunnedee:
so right, they even av a member representing dem in the house of assembly
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by ahnie: 9:11am On Sep 14, 2014
ghen ghen..asawana versus itsheke.
asamaigho:

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by omololu2020(m): 9:14am On Sep 14, 2014
Emi gan gan ni omo apoi,but hav neva heard pple speakin ijaw in apoi xcept yoruba,i dont even understand or know jst one word in ijaw
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by sunnedee: 9:14am On Sep 14, 2014
armadeo:

You aren't wrong.
Cool... cool

boix: so right, they even av a member representing dem in the house of assembly

Thanks... cool

macof:
Only two Towns, which speak Yoruba as well as their native dialects
Their monarchs are even called Oba and praised with "Kabiesi"
but their history and general culture is,ijaw

That's good to know.. cool

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by iamodenigbo1(m): 9:15am On Sep 14, 2014
following
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 14, 2014
Am proudly Ijaw from Delta state wink

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by charistim(m): 9:23am On Sep 14, 2014
i love dis, but do you think those in rivers state will agree dat they are ijaw also?

Am proudly ijaw bayelsa state.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

Andoni is not Ijaw, Andoni is like Ibibio with mixture of Igbo and Ijaw. Opobo is a hybrid of Igbo and Ijaw, and not Ijaw.
U knw nxt to nothing Mr.Paziena. When u dig deep into Andonis ethnic stock u will knw better. Nxt u will say Ikweres r igbos pls n pls keep ur igbo madness to ur sef. As 4 opobo Jaja or no Jaja dy r ijaws cos he migrated wif some families Wic r ijaws to opobo. So pls educate ur sef b4 displaying ur hatred n resentment 4 d ijaws and for d andonis hw do d igbos come into d picture? I dnt knw Wats wrong wif ur types any tribal issue u attach d igbo dogma b it Yoruba,Hausa or any Tribe GROW UP BEYOND UR NOSE.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by nagoma(m): 9:32am On Sep 14, 2014

I wish Nigerians will see politics as a development, trust, equity and justice issue rather than tribal and sectional rivalry.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:36am On Sep 14, 2014
abelbriggs:
U knw nxt to nothing Mr.Paziena. When u dig deep into Andonis ethnic stock u will knw better. Nxt u will say Ikweres r igbos pls n pls keep ur igbo madness to ur sef. As 4 opobo Jaja or no Jaja dy r ijaws cos he migrated wif some families Wic r ijaws to opobo. So pls educate ur sef b4 displaying ur hatred n resentment 4 d ijaws and for d andonis hw do d igbos come into d picture? I dnt knw Wats wrong wif ur types any tribal issue u attach d igbo dogma b it Yoruba,Hausa or any Tribe GROW UP BEYOND UR NOSE.

What's the name of your ethnic group? Answer this ASAP,so that i can give this your post,a proper reply. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 14, 2014
engrsyer: @ Op, where did u keep the good people of Bille Clan in the Eastern Ijo? Or is Bille not part of the Ijaw nation? Good work but do more research.
Bille is Kalabari,although dem like to deny. Notn like bille kigdom,bille is kalabari.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Original Hausa Names And Thier Meanings / Benue Women Are Offered To Visitors As ''kola''. / Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.