Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,794 members, 7,798,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (19660 Views)

The Ijaws That I Know / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

What's the name of your ethnic group? Answer this ASAP,so that i can give this your post,a proper reply. Thank you.
IJAW
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by mkoabiola: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2014
Lived in Ekeremo for a year
Ijaws celebrating burial ceremony like hjeaven party
Love burial lik no any oda ceremony
Ijaws love to marry d yorubas
HA izon! Ha izon!!
Nua!Ado!

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:43am On Sep 14, 2014
Lordave: Kalabari girls dey fine small.

Didn't they are related to the dreaded Ijaw tribe.
OP, what of Otuoke?

I don't know about this person shaa »

Otueke is Ogbia. Their language is Ibibiod. They are "politically" Ijaw.

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by bedfordng(m): 9:45am On Sep 14, 2014
sunnedee:
I may be wrong but I think some ijaws are also in ondo state
you are right bro.some ijaws are also in ondo state but more are rivers,delta,bayelsa respectively
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by bedfordng(m): 9:46am On Sep 14, 2014
mkoabiola: Lived in Ekeremo for a year
Ijaws celebrating burial ceremony like hjeaven party
Love burial lik no any oda ceremony
Ijaws love to marry d yorubas
HA izon! Ha izon!!
Nua!Ado!
it shows you lived in bayelsa before.they celebrate burial like its birthday party
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 9:58am On Sep 14, 2014
abelbriggs:
U knw nxt to nothing Mr.Paziena. When u dig deep into Andonis ethnic stock u will knw better. Nxt u will say Ikweres r igbos pls n pls keep ur igbo madness to ur sef. As 4 opobo Jaja or no Jaja dy r ijaws cos he migrated wif some families Wic r ijaws to opobo. So pls educate ur sef b4 displaying ur hatred n resentment 4 d ijaws and for d andonis hw do d igbos come into d picture? I dnt knw Wats wrong wif ur types any tribal issue u attach d igbo dogma b it Yoruba,Hausa or any Tribe GROW UP BEYOND UR NOSE.

1. Andonis are not Ijaws, they are not even Ijoid, they are a distinct group of their own, but if any big ethnic group is to claim them, then it's the Ibibio/Efik/Annangs, as Andoni language is closest to theirs. Andoni language has few Igbo words and little or No Ijaw ones. Ijaws should stop mistaking having a riverine/fishing culture for being Ijaw.

2. Nobody is talking about Ikwerres here, however, it's an established fact that Ikwerres speak an Igboid language. We can't say the same of Andoni and Ijaw.

3. Opobo remains an Igbo speaking town,and it's citizens had resisted every move to Ibanize them,by the then Ijaw controlled Rivers state government.

4. Have no resentment for the Ijaws, i am just happy that they have at last accepted the fact that neither the Degemas nor the Andonis are Ijaws.

5. I dont remember bringing Igbo into the thread, just stated the sacred facts.

Thank you.

14 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Welrez(m): 10:08am On Sep 14, 2014
Emene Izon keme, Izon tu adou.

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by tonte(m): 10:13am On Sep 14, 2014
but Degema is part of the Kalabari Kingdom, and the Kalabari kingdom is part of the Ijaw Nation, infact Degema local govt contains degema, Harry's town, Bakana and Tombia...these are purely Kalabari towns that speak only the Kalabari language...so how is Degema not Ijaw?

pazienza:

1. Andonis are not Ijaws, they are not even Ijoid, they are a distinct group of their own, but if any big ethnic group is to claim them, then it's the Ibibio/Efik/Annangs, as Andoni language is closest to theirs. Andoni language has few Igbo words and little or No Ijaw ones. Ijaws should stop mistaking having a riverine/fishing culture for being Ijaw.

2. Nobody is talking about Ikwerres here, however, it's an established fact that Ikwerres speak an Igboid language. We can't say the same of Andoni and Ijaw.

3. Opobo remains an Igbo speaking town,and it's citizens had resisted every move to Ibanize them,by the then Ijaw controlled Rivers state government.

4. Have no resentment for the Ijaws, i am just happy that they have at last accepted the fact that neither the Degemas nor the Andonis are Ijaws.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Izontubo(m): 10:16am On Sep 14, 2014
Ahh izon... wink smiley

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Izontubo(m): 10:18am On Sep 14, 2014
I am proudly akaha... cool

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

Thank you.
The other major Ijaw linguistic group is Kalabari. Kalabari is considered an Eastern Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name of one of the Ijaw clans that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc.) who form a major group in Rivers State, hence their involvement in the fight for greater oil control. Other "Eastern" Ijaw clans are the Okrika, Ibani (the natives of Bonny, Finima and Opobo) and Nkoroo. They are neighbours to the Kalabari people in present day Rivers State, Nigeria.
Pls stop this ignorance pazienza

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by tonte(m): 10:21am On Sep 14, 2014
anyway, I'm Kalabari, and for a long time I've heard arguments and counter arguments that either Kalabari's are not Ijaw, or Kalabari's are the real Ijaws...but either ways, I'm so proud of my heritage, history and ancestry...we all about Love, Peace and all out enjoyment for any kind of celebration, birthdays, Marriages, funerals, even celebrations that are uncalled for like "Go to Niger" (that's a carnival that celebrates the anniversary of our defeat to the Nigerian forces during the civil war) I always wondered why that was celebrated with so much crowd and funfare...we sure do not like to be cheated or marginalised out of what we think should be our rights( which should explain the Asari Dokubo led uprising in 2006), we have a very beautiful diverse choice of tasty sea food, as well as very lovely women, examples are Agbani Darego and Damiete Charles-Granville, who were beauty queens.... I wish I could host maybe 1 or 2 nairalanders from the north and Southwest for a chirstmas week, so you guys should know that there really is no party like a Kalabari party in Nigeria...okay I think I have talked too much bye bye

4 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:26am On Sep 14, 2014
tonte: but Degema is part of the Kalabari Kingdom, and the Kalabari kingdom is part of the Ijaw Nation, infact Degema local govt contains degema, Harry's town, Bakana and Tombia...these are purely Kalabari towns that speak only the Kalabari language...so how is Degema not Ijaw?

Degema LGA, is not the same as Degema group. I am well aware of the fact that there are Kalabari groups that are present in Degema LGA.
But when i say Degema, i mean the Atala people, Obonoma and Usokun people, and not the Ijoid people that found themselves in Degema LGA. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 14, 2014
tonte: anyway, I'm Kalabari, and for a long time I've heard arguments and counter arguments that either Kalabari's are not Ijaw, or Kalabari's are the real Ijaws...but either ways, I'm so proud of my heritage, history and ancestry...we all about Love, Peace and all out enjoyment for any kind of celebration, birthdays, Marriages, funerals, even celebrations that are uncalled for like "Go to Niger" (that's a carnival that celebrates the anniversary of our defeat to the Nigerian forces during the civil war) I always wondered why that was celebrated with so much crowd and funfare...we sure do not like to be cheated or marginalised out of what we think should be our rights( which should explain the Asari Dokubo led uprising in 2006), we have a very beautiful diverse choice of tasty sea food, as well as very lovely women, examples are Agbani Darego and Damiete Charles-Granville, who were beauty queens.... I wish I could host maybe 1 or 2 nairalanders from the north and Southwest for a chirstmas week, so you guys should know that there really is no party like a Kalabari party in Nigeria...okay I think I have talked too much bye bye
Mbre u no lie.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:36am On Sep 14, 2014
abelbriggs:
The other major Ijaw linguistic group is Kalabari. Kalabari is considered an Eastern Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name of one of the Ijaw clans that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc.) who form a major group in Rivers State, hence their involvement in the fight for greater oil control. Other "Eastern" Ijaw clans are the Okrika, Ibani (the natives of Bonny, Finima and Opobo) and Nkoroo. They are neighbours to the Kalabari people in present day Rivers State, Nigeria.
Pls stop this ignorance pazienza

Eastern Ijaw groups are the Kalabari, Okrika,Ibani( btw, the native claim is hilarious), and maybe Nkoro. Degema is not part of Kalabari, they are distinct,and speak an edoid language, and indeed do claim to have migrated from ancient Bini, through the Orashi region to their present location. You Ijaws should leave them alone.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Revolva(m): 10:38am On Sep 14, 2014
I like ijaw folks...mehn their babes r very good f***ers n freaks...dem sabi booze....and sabi bad thangz......

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 10:41am On Sep 14, 2014
The truth is that many distinct riverine ethnic groups came together in the 90s and decided that to make impact on their demand for resource control, they needed to work together. That forms the basis for the Ijaw attachment of hitherto distinct groups. My grandmother died 3 years ago and until her death, she always tried to distinguish between Nembe and Ijaw.

To me ethnic identity is borne out of personal conviction and not out of language or cultural similarity. Sometimes political advantage could enhance identification with a particular group. That is why Efik, Ibibio, Oron, Annang etc have not been able to come under a common umbrella to bare one name as a single ethnic group despite their similarities and geographical proximity. It is same for Urhobo/Isoko, Igbo/Ikwerre/Ika/Ogba etc.

Hausa/Fulani is another example of using political and demographic advantages as a reason to merge two totally distinct groups to form a supergroup. Kudos to the Eastern Ijaws for burying the hatchet and forming alliance with their Ijaw brothers.

6 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by macof(m): 10:41am On Sep 14, 2014
adeitoro: Since you don't travel alot, then try to read more of Nigeria politics and culture to be enlighten with its diversity.
You will discover how blessed we are with cultural diversity

Cultural diversity is not a blessing, it's a problem.
A progressive nation should have one dominant culture to buttress nationalism

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by engrsyer(m): 10:42am On Sep 14, 2014
obakovich:
Bille is Kalabari,although dem like to deny. Notn like bille kigdom,bille is kalabari.
Go and get true history of Kalabari and Bille. Bille has never be part of Kalabari rather we have Bille/Kalabari district which has almost been overshadowed by d Kalabaris. If Bille is part of Kalabari then why did Bille has a Clan and Kalabri has a clan? Please answer my questions.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by max20ebi: 10:46am On Sep 14, 2014
Izon or Ijaw means TRUTH, the ijaw people are people who speak the truth and stand for the truth.
Irrespective of what other people say about the Ijaws,all I know is they are peace loving and kind people.This people have lived in peace with their neighbors(the Benins ,Itsekiris ,Urhobo ,Ikwerres ,Igbos ,Yorubas,Calabars e.t.c before the divide n rule mechanism use by the Nigerian state on the Niger Delta.
People from this tribe are masters of patience(waiting game) and they never forgive.
The Ijaws love partying, babes ,drinks and exploring new grounds. Believe me ain't no party like and ijaw party

6 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by victorazy(m): 10:48am On Sep 14, 2014
Ask4bigneyo: #BringBackOurGirls--BBOG
and
#BringBackOurGeJ---BBOG
Abeg wetin be d difference?

Funny dude grin grin grin
So our president na woman?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by macof(m): 11:17am On Sep 14, 2014
Ikwerreboy:
Were the ijaws own population is in bayelsa
and dellta.

Certainly not in delta

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by macof(m): 11:21am On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

Andoni is not Ijaw, Andoni is like Ibibio with mixture of Igbo and Ijaw. Opobo is a hybrid of Igbo and Ijaw, and not Ijaw.

Not according to every article I've read about Andoni, they have,absolutely nothing to do with Igbo as far as I know.
They are ijaw.

Opobo isn't anything Igbo either, because jaja was igbo don't make opobo a mixed town

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by mzlewis(f): 11:22am On Sep 14, 2014
Yes o...im in love with one of them

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by kel4soft: 11:37am On Sep 14, 2014
emmykk: Rivers state is ijaw dominated,i wonder why ameachi is supporting Northern APC candidature to win rivers state.

Greater wonder is how the ogoni with the support of ameachi will win rivers Gov with dominated ijaw. Time shall tell.

Wetin bring in Politics to this again? Peterside, Ojukaya, Adawari, Sam Jaja. Are they not Ijaws? Wait until PDP Wike teach you lesson before you go get sense.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by piginenglish: 11:42am On Sep 14, 2014
access bank yenagoa please credit my account https://www.nairaland.com/1901955/access-bank-fcmb-please-credit
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 11:42am On Sep 14, 2014
macof:

Not according to every article I've read about Andoni, they have,absolutely nothing to do with Igbo as far as I know.
They are ijaw.

Opobo isn't anything Igbo either, because jaja was igbo don't make opobo a mixed town

Who gives a dead rat about the stupid articles you read? The fact on ground remains that the Andoni is a distinct group, with a language close to what is obtainable in Akwa ibom, with few Igbo words and little or no Ijaw words. Andonis are no Ijaws. *grins*

On the Opobo issue, there are "hundreds" of thread about that here, look for one of them,and knock yourself out.
Thanks.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by kel4soft: 11:45am On Sep 14, 2014
obakovich:
Bille is Kalabari,although dem like to deny. Notn like bille kigdom,bille is kalabari.

How can billie an ancient city that have stayed for close to a thousand years be Kalabari who only came and settle there through the help of Amachree the Cross Rivirine soldier? Bille is the direct lineage of Ijaw. Do your research very well.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by u3fine(m): 12:10pm On Sep 14, 2014
benson8

Other related Ijaw subgroups which have distinct languages but very close kinship, cultural and territorial ties with the rest of the Ijaw are the Epie-Atissa, Engenni (also known as Ẹgẹnẹ), and Degema (also called Udekama or Udekaama).[3:

These groups speak Delta Edoid languages. The Ogbia clan, Andoni people, as well as residents of Bukuma and Abuloma (Obulom) speak Cross River languages.[citation need
Op, nice post but you forgot to mention "BILLE" as one of the Ijaw speaking people of Eastern Ijaw

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Dreambeat: 12:16pm On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

Otueke is Ogbia. Their language is Ibibiod. They are "politically" Ijaw.
You are right.I lived with them for quite sometime.Nembe is another group in Bayelsa that are politically Ijaw when they away from the state.When you talk to them in Bayelsa,they tell you they are Nembe and NOT Ijaw.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by engrsyer(m): 12:16pm On Sep 14, 2014
kel4soft:

How can billie an ancient city that have stayed for close to a thousand years be Kalabari who only came and settle there through the help of Amachree the Cross Rivirine soldier? Bille is the direct lineage of Ijaw. Do your research very well.
Abeg lecture Obakovich for me but no ask of school fees from ham. If u must ask rather tell me i go pay for ham but just give ham Amaechi Free Education.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba Traditional Marriage - What Are The Steps Involved? Pls Help: / Benue Women Are Offered To Visitors As ''kola''. / Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.