Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,400 members, 7,808,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2739 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 9:52am On Sep 13, 2014
This post is coming at the hills of a post featured here a few days back: https://www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1

I have very high regard for excellence at what one does, academic excellence not being the least of them. I would also encourage all undergrads who are still in school and who have chosen a job as their career path to do all they can to get the golden ticket to a good job - 2.1+.

My personal experience however, has taught me differently. While I was still an undergrad, I turned down three juicy job openings, one in the private sector and two with Govt organisation with pensionable benefits. The reason? I was determined to be a solutions provider and a job creator. So whenever I communicate with prospective clients and proffer solutions to common problems they face, they ended up wanting to employ me to add value to their organisations.

Even in my current position which I work as I finally decided to work for a while, I got the job beating several graduates with 2.1 qualifications while I was still an undergraduate (I graduated with 2.2 part time). All this with no connection or recommendation from any top Govt. Official.
I know several others in my city who have demonstrated entrepreneurial inkling that have turned down several job offers who do not have a university degree. No kidding.

The facts show that putting too much emphasis on pure academic excellence and good grades is diminishing the equally if not more important things any individual should pursue if they want to succeed in life.

Higher education and a degree is overrated and misleading.

Since secondary school leavers naturally aspire for a degree, that is where the problem begins. The trend today is for secondary schools to groom their students for higher education. To this end, most secondary schools focus on academic subjects that enable the students to score well in university entrance examinations rather than on courses that will equip the students for the workplace. Secondary school students today are under tremendous pressure from teachers, counselors, and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the best universities, where they will hopefully earn the degrees that can open for them doors to promising and well-paying jobs. This eventually denies them the most needed practical skills in real life. This continues throughout the university days.

A degree (good or bad) no longer guarantees a job

The popular opinion that for young people to succeed, the only option is to get a university education and come out with good grades has been proven false again and again. Studies show that in many sectors of our economy, there is an acute need, not for university graduates, but for people to work in the trades and services.

Employers are no longer looking for those with polished credentials with little or no experience to contribute. Many employers will prefer to employ an entrepreneur with a proven track record of attempts at succeeding at a business than candidates who wait for a job to come along that matches their good grade status.

Most people learn best outside of the classroom.

Some people prefer learning by doing — working, exploring, creating, or otherwise doing things in the real world. Learning via textbook is tedious and boring to such ones and no matter how hard they try, they just know they are not into it but since it is what is expected of them, they hang in there wasting a huge chunk of the most productive period of their life away. These set mostly come out with low grades but when they find their passion, they excel very well in life.

What are the alternatives?

First class self-development
Strong entrepreneurial undertaken
Start up something and be an employer
Gain inspiration from those who have done it

So whether you graduated with a first class, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 or even a certificate of attendance or dropped out, you can do a first class job and add value to any organisation you find yourself. Better still, darn the job search mentality and stop polishing a shiny and impressive CV, rather create a product or service, build a business and give your business a first class attention while rendering first class services to your customers. Yes YOU Can Make It Happen not your grade.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Yosifperfect(m): 10:02am On Sep 13, 2014
Team2.1... I've got nothing to lose. And please, you should rather encourage people, not dissuade people with this kind of post from aspiring for good grades. Thanks!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by bulakos: 10:07am On Sep 13, 2014
I agree with you man. But don't let that hype misguide you. Because no multinationals will employ you with 2.2 or 3.0 and as for pass degree better just go one corner for your village open ur small recharge card stand Cos no one will look at you if ur uncle are not the likes of Tambuwal
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 10:16am On Sep 13, 2014
bulakos: I agree with you man. But don't let that hype misguide you. Because no multinationals will employ you with 2.2 or 3.0 and as for pass degree better just go one corner for your village open ur small recharge card stand Cos no one will look at you if ur uncle are not the likes of Tambuwal

The goal of education or a degree shouldn't be to get employed by a multinational company. a university education is far beyond the degree you are issued, it opens up your mind to see the endless possibilities that this life can offer. I can bet you that their are some consultants and expatriates who work with this multinationals who have no degree than you are aware of. Thinking out of the box will clear our minds bro.

7 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by egopersonified(f): 10:23am On Sep 13, 2014
Life is what you make of it. Op, thank you for making sense even if people are blinded to the truth. Just succeed at whatever you do, you can have all A's in sch but the most improtant thing is dont get an F in life.

7 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Baddo101(m): 10:32am On Sep 13, 2014
Nice post though. altho dat shud not dissuade undergraduates from striving to b d best in dia studies. also strive to av a practical experience in ur desired career enuf of theoretical experience we acquire in school....
The truth is employers these days are no longer hiring just to fill vacant position in their organisation but they hire u just because u are there to solve a problem or challenge for them......
I agree wth the fact that employers value 2:1 and above because they believe persons wth such grades are trainable however over the yrs this assumptions av dissapointed them and so they see it unrealistic to employ a 2:2 because if a 2:1 caused dissapointment how much more a 2:2.......
we av valued paper qualification more in this country "eni to pass lo mo iwe" meaning "na person wey pass nahim know book"...........

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Baddo101(m): 10:32am On Sep 13, 2014
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Karleb(m): 10:45am On Sep 13, 2014
I weep for a student who's gonna go ahead and follow the poo op wrote up there, I didn't read it tho'.

If you as a student did not graduate with at least 2.1 it probably means that you did not do well in your studies, in fact the last time I checked there are many things to do with your first degree and one of it is pride although the topic actually deals with the employment thingy but my stance is that; it will be a grave mistake for you as a student to finish with anything less than 2.1.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 13, 2014
O.P, u funny o, shey u knw?? What gives u d assurance that u'll beat a 2.1 or 1 graduate @ a job interview?? With my own li2 experience, a 2.1 grad have a upper hand in all aspect to defect a lower grad holder @ any job interview and that's why employers demand for 2.1 and above.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 13, 2014
egopersonified: Life is what you make of it. Op, thank you for making sense even if people are blinded to the truth. Just succeed at whatever you do, you can have all A's in sch but the most improtant thing is dont get an F in life.

And if u get A's in sch, isn't that part of making A in life?? Get F in sch and i tell u, u'll struggle to make E in life.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Noneroone(m): 11:13am On Sep 13, 2014
This is becoming funny by the day.threads and counter threads everyday on why one needs to make good grade. If i must comment, i'll say that what sells an individual is the qualities he has which he acquired while in school. It is this quality that everyone must strive to get. If it reflects on your grades, good for you. If doesnt good for you too. All those who have these qualities and skills succeed but not all those with good grades succeed.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Kunmius(m): 11:40am On Sep 13, 2014
I agree with u OP. It is annoying to hear everyone talking about job job job. If u don't build ur own dreams, someone will hire u to build theirs. There are successful business owners that didn't graduate with a 2.1.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 11:46am On Sep 13, 2014
LARRYDKING: O.P, u funny o, shey u knw?? What gives u d assurance that u'll beat a 2.1 or 1 graduate @ a job interview?? With my own li2 experience, a 2.1 grad have a upper hand in all aspect to defect a lower grad holder @ any job interview and that's why employers demand for 2.1 and above.

Your comment shows clearly you didn't read my post. What gives me the assurance is that I HAVE DONE IT.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by bulakos: 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
buemene:

The goal of education or a degree shouldn't be to get employed by a multinational company. a university education is far beyond the degree you are issued, it opens up your mind to see the endless possibilities that this life can offer. I can bet you that their are some consultants and expatriates who work with this multinationals who have no degree than you are aware of. Thinking out of the box will clear our minds bro.
that's it u agree with you my brother
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 11:52am On Sep 13, 2014
Karleb: I weep for a student who's gonna go ahead and follow the poo op wrote up there, I didn't read it tho'.

If you as a student did not graduate with at least 2.1 it probably means that you did not do well in your studies, in fact the last time I checked there are many things to do with your first degree and one of it is pride although the topic actually deals with the employment thingy but my stance is that; it will be a grave mistake for you as a student to finish with anything less than 2.1.

And this trash you spew here is the advice students should follow huh! Priding oneself in making a first class in school but a woeful failure in real life skills. Park well bro, school dropouts are changing the world and while first class grads are answering sir sir to them.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by bulakos: 11:57am On Sep 13, 2014
buemene:

And this trash you spew here is the advice students should follow huh! Priding oneself in making a first class in school but a woeful failure in real life skills. Park well bro, [b]school dropouts are changing the world and while first class grads are answering sir sir to them.[/b]op I attest to this cuss I know of many lecturers who finish with first class but believe me you wen ever dey are lecture ring students always correct them cost back in school dey only crammed every thing and understands nothing

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by promisechild(m): 11:59am On Sep 13, 2014
Nigerians and their inductive reasoning eh...

Premise 1: John graduated with 2:2 and he made it in life

premise 2: Mark graduated with 2:2 and he made it in life

premise 3: Paul graduated with 2:2 and he made it in life

premise 4: Chika graduated with 2:2

Conclusion: Therefore as chika graduated with 2:2 and others before him does too hence chika made it in life.

The argument above is invalid becaúse it is awkward to use one cause to judge another,if u made it with your 2:2 others may not make it with it likewise the 2:1 class.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 13, 2014
buemene:

Your comment shows clearly you didn't read my post. What gives me the assurance is that I HAVE DONE IT.

and that is u, nt everyone else. U wont also deny u've faced several shits and loose oppotunity b'cos of ur grade.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by nwaobitex: 1:19pm On Sep 13, 2014
shit
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 13, 2014
@op;
the thread you seem to be countering wasn't implying that you need at least a 2.1 'to succeed at a job or in life'. People take different steps in order to achieve success. If a person believes getting a degree (in a university) is a step to his/her success, then that individual must strive to make the best out of it. Having at least a 2.1 or even obtaining a degree might not be equivalent to success but it's a step. The plain truth is anything that is worth doing is worth doing well.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 13, 2014
buemene:

you don't have to go to the university before you see endless possibilities or think out of the box.
Anything that is worth doing is worthdoing well. If you have decided to go to the university for whatever reason it is imperative to make the best out of your 4 or 5 year stay. Getting a good grade is first of all is a personal acheivement on its own and it show's the holder of such grade is desciplined enough and goal oriented for avoiding the plenty distraction's in the university and been able to focus to get a good great. Shout out to all them efiko's, bookwarm's yanzafi ', awon ala kawe ku and the like's . Its never easy you have my respect anyday anytime.
P.s op you are not the one to determine the goal of education everyone have their own reason for going to the university to learn one thing or the other.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by walex2(m): 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2014
Thanks OP for ur clarification. Delusional minds, there goal in life is to have a 2.1 and work in multinational companies but they have not pause a bit to enquire whether the real owners of Guiness,Unilever, Microsoft, PZ, Pand G and numerous multinational companies are owners of degree let alone2.1 u can never be rich working for someone.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Karleb(m): 2:59pm On Sep 13, 2014
buemene:

And this trash you spew here is the advice students should follow huh! Priding oneself in making a first class in school but a woeful failure in real life skills. Park well bro, school dropouts are changing the world and while first class grads are answering sir sir to them.

.. and what is wrong with going great in academics and also in real life skills? Huh undecided

I guess the aim of this thread is to console those who didn't make it up to second class upper.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Skywalker5(m): 3:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
One thing I know is that its not about what you graduate with. Even in UK. I know lots of people who had 2.1 but still no job. Its all about picking up different skills in life along the way and tailoring it to your job hunt.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Gunite: 4:15pm On Sep 13, 2014
95% of my course mates will graduate with 2.1,but i know that only 6 are real 2.1.You come here to argue nonsensically because you have browsing phones.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 13, 2014
Op,most employers believe that a person who didn't do well in school is an unserious person.

Now,opening a thread on why not to make 2:1 to succeed in life is misleading.

Truth is that,its not easy making it out there,in order to stand out,come out with a good grade.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by dammyjay93(m): 4:36pm On Sep 13, 2014
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by chacoonder(m): 5:58pm On Sep 13, 2014
Karleb:

.. and what is wrong with going great in academics and also in real life skills? Huh undecided

I guess the aim of this thread is to console those who didn't make it up to second class upper.
..why are you so dopey?..'ve not read any sensible piece from you since the inception of this thread.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Dlionsheart: 6:27pm On Sep 13, 2014
buemene:

@OP - Mdaa wugah, Bari a ne a leelee.

The Yorubas (South west) with all their Doctorate degrees in virtually every compound can tell better. Some parts of Nigeria (including Northern Nigeria) with less degrees/2:1 are more developed than the academically rich west with professors on every street.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 13, 2014
Why is it that in this part of the world we've so much embrace mediocrity and we see academic success as taboo?.
At Op. let's look at university from business perspective. Imagine you investing 40k on tuition fee for 4yrs=160k; feeding allowance 10k monthly= 480k; clothing &sundries =100k, house rent =160k; transportation =96k; textbooks =30k including project work.
After summing -up,it would be running into million.As an astute businessperson is it advisable to invest a million in a business that wouldnt yield any profit? (marginal efficiency of investment).
Hence, i feel it is more wise and advisable to diversify such resources into another thing like learning a trade rather than wasting such huge amount in school without bringing -forth a tangible result to show for it.
I'm not insinuating that academic performance is the key to success but rather we should try to show forth something reasonable after spending alot of money,time and energy in pursuit of a degree.
Also, we should change this mentality that zuckerberg dropped and was successful. let us ask ourselves "is Harvard a school for dullards?" or any tom and hillary could go to?.
No harm please just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Pvictor10(m): 7:46pm On Sep 13, 2014
2.1 or 2.2 be entreprising. Think of what you can do other than wait for salary. Even though i graduated with 2.2, it shouldn't stop me from being the best at what I chose. Admitted, I was playful and crashread most days; i can't change the past. It's gone!

I believe in me and am making it big. You don't have to agree with me.

www.reverbnation.com/abiolavictor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by greatestman(m): 7:53pm On Sep 13, 2014
I don't encourage mediocrity. Strife for the best if you did not make it heavens know that. If you go to school attending different parties in school and graduated with 2.2 hmmmm I reserved my comments.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amazing, Lagos State Just Rewarded "Their Best Teachers" With Cars! / Oou Releases 2016/17 Academic Session Admission List / Difference Between SEX And Bleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.