Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

45 Famous Quotes On Art - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 45 Famous Quotes On Art (8733 Views)

Anyone On Art, Graphics & Video, Nairaland Forum With A Bitcoin Address? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

45 Famous Quotes On Art by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:05am On Sep 13, 2014
"Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better."
― Andre Gide

Some have tried to define it, some have tried to complicate it, and some have tried to oversimplify it, but the temper of art is like an abyss, full yet absent, empty yet present. It is not meant to be comprehended but felt. In its very essence, art is about unbounded passion and reflections of life―the more you try to capture it, the more will it elude.

Our world has witnessed some of the best, tempestuous, incredibly gifted, avant-garde, maverick, shocking artists who flung themselves blindly in the profound ocean of art. It was for their indissoluble spirit and unimaginable passion for their art that helped them withstand criticism, hardships, and poverty.

Below are some handpicked quotes about art by the masters of art.

Inspirational Quotes on Art
"I don't listen to what art critics say. I don't know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is."
― Jean-Michel Basquiat

"Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we don't start measuring her limbs."
― Pablo Picasso

"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love."
― Claude Monet

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."
― Thomas Merton

"The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable."
― Robert Henri

"Great art picks up where nature ends."
― Marc Chagall

"Art should astonish, transmute, transfix. One must work at the tissue between truth and paranoia."
― Brett Whiteley

"Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad."
― Salvador Dali

"The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection."
― Michelangelo

"Art is the only serious thing in the world. And the artist is the only person who is never serious."
― Oscar Wilde

"Art is made to disturb. Science reassures. There is only one valuable thing in art: the thing you cannot explain."
― Georges Braque

"Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."
― Edgar Degas
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:07am On Sep 13, 2014
"I am interested in art as a means of living a life; not as a means of making a living."
― Robert Henri

"Art begins with resistance - at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor."
― Andre Gide

Quotes About Painting
"Today painters do not have to go to a subject matter outside of themselves. Most modern painters work from a different source. They work from within."
― Jackson Pollock

"When I know your soul, I will paint your eyes."
― Amedeo Modigliani

"I dream my painting and I paint my dream."
― Vincent van Gogh

"I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality."
― Frida Kahlo

"If you could say it in words, there'd be no reason to paint."
― Edward Hopper

"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."
― Pablo Picasso

"A painting requires a little mystery, some vagueness, and some fantasy. When you always make your meaning perfectly plain you end up boring people"
― Edgar Degas

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art."
― Paul Cezanne

"No one is an artist unless he carries his picture in his head before painting it, and is sure of his method and composition."
― Claude Monet

"I always feel the desire to look for the extraordinary in ordinary things; to suggest, not to impose, to leave always a slight touch of mystery in my paintings."
― Balthus

"A painting is never finished - it simply stops in interesting places."
― Paul Gardner

"Painting is an attempt to come to terms with life. There are as many solutions as there are human beings"
― George Tooker

"Colour and I are one. I am a painter."
― Paul Klee
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:10am On Sep 13, 2014
Famous Quotes by Artists
"The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery."
― Francis Bacon

"The child is really an artist, and the artist should be like a child, but he should not stay a child. He must become an artist. That means he cannot permit himself to become sentimental or something like that. He must know what he is doing."
― Hans Hofmann

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
― Pablo Picasso

"Voyeurism is a director's job description. It's an artist's, too."
― Andy Warhol

"Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything."
― Eugene Delacroix

"To be an artist, one must . . . never shirk from the truth as he understands it, never withdraw from life."
― Diego Rivera

"As an artist, it is central to be unsatisfied! This isn't greed, though it might be appetite."
― Lawrence Calcagno

"The attitude that nature is chaotic and that the artist puts order into it is a very absurd point of view, I think. All that we can hope for is to put some order into ourselves."
― Willem de Kooning

"An artist cannot speak about his art any more than a plant can discuss horticulture."
― Jean Cocteau

"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
― Oscar Wilde

"In our time there are many artists who do something because it is new; they see their value and their justification in this newness. They are deceiving themselves; novelty is seldom the essential. This has to do with one thing only; making a subject better from its intrinsic nature."
― Henri de Toulouse Lautrec

Spanning from transcendental to avant-garde, art is a ubiquitous phenomenon- ever evolving, ever changing. Consider the above quotes as colors and yourself as an immaculate canvas, let them paint you, for you might just discover the artist who dwells in you.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/famous-quotes-on-art.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by felixchip(m): 10:11am On Sep 13, 2014
I must Say: Interesting. Love these.

1 Like

Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:15am On Sep 13, 2014
felixchip: I must Say: Interesting. Love these.
that's cool, bro.
I bet you've learnt a lotcheesy
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by felixchip(m): 10:31am On Sep 13, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: that's cool, bro.
I bet you've learnt a lotcheesy

Sure did.
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by damibravo(m): 11:19am On Sep 13, 2014
Lemme open my head and download
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by stevolinkon40: 11:20am On Sep 13, 2014
Still reading
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by iceberylin(m): 11:20am On Sep 13, 2014
ART IS A BLAST by DIDARA grin
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by ignis: 11:21am On Sep 13, 2014
Still meditating on the quotes....
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by bercarray(m): 11:21am On Sep 13, 2014
na bkus dm do am make money,tell me one quote 4rm nigeria artiste,none,bkus dm knw d quote wont show in dm,i wonda wen niger go develop finish
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by PrinceAdepoju(m): 11:21am On Sep 13, 2014
felixchip:

Sure did.
grin

frontpage thingsgrin
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by niggereyez(f): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2014
nice quotes .... but I think only artists wld understand these quotes better
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Ignatio(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2014
We are nothing But pencil in the hand of God.

2 Likes

Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by ajahexcel(m): 11:24am On Sep 13, 2014
Great words
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Shedysworld(m): 11:24am On Sep 13, 2014
Art is life
Make I just say something shaa grin
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Skynett: 11:31am On Sep 13, 2014
interesting
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by msmon(m): 11:35am On Sep 13, 2014
I will comment after reading the quotes!
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 13, 2014
NIce quote
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by jericco1(m): 11:36am On Sep 13, 2014
The World is Artistic in Nature. -- Me
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Idrismusty97(m): 11:36am On Sep 13, 2014
"Real art is in structures and engineering masterpiece! Some lived on for thousand or even millions of years, adding meaning and beauty to the environment they found themselves. The way humans shape their environment as a result of war, population or natural disasters is infact art" - Me cool

1 Like

Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Smartlux(m): 11:40am On Sep 13, 2014
cool
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 13, 2014
art....
i love art.... smiley smiley smiley
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Nobody: 11:42am On Sep 13, 2014
My signature is my own quote. One day, you will put me among those people grin

I've know those quotations tho' some of them are quite deep and thought provoking.
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by CyberEBOLA(m): 11:45am On Sep 13, 2014
i has readed it before.
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Bryan12(m): 11:45am On Sep 13, 2014
Anytime I won book book space my hand go dey shake.why?
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by Pdizzle(m): 11:51am On Sep 13, 2014
Art is life
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by MoriYanu(m): 12:00pm On Sep 13, 2014
Like my art lecturer always say- " we are not barbarians that will beat you with cain, we do so with pencil and painting"-
Re: 45 Famous Quotes On Art by ggrin(f): 12:03pm On Sep 13, 2014
You know,life is like a piece of wood, a plank...its rough,right?
It needs buffing to make it smooth
That's why its okay to get hurt at times or to feel downcast.but after that,as you go on,you'll slowly produce something..your own creation, yes your own creation
smileysmileysmiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

MY ADOBE PHOTOSHOP Manipulation...pls Check It Out.. / Learn Graphics Design From Expert ! / Designing With Canva: Meet My Year 2020 Diary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.