Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,740 members, 7,806,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

A Gift From The Heart. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Gift From The Heart. (2667 Views)

The Heart Of A True Believer~ A New Romantic Story / The Heart Of A Woman / A Gift From Daddy G.o (pastor E. A. Adeboye) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 7:38am On Sep 14, 2014
[center][/center][color=#000000][/color][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b] My birthday is September 21st and I have decided to celebrate it with a difference...... trying my hands on a fiction work here on nairaland. The story will be uploaded in form of a weekly post.... every Sunday I will make sure I post till the end of the story starting with 21st of September.
I really need to be criticized but please do it in love so you do not discourage me. My very sis: Seunfavor you are mostly invited. Muah Sammyhoe,divepen, davep, TiffanyJ, Audrey Timms.

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by TiffanyJ(f): 7:51am On Sep 14, 2014
lopeoba: [center][/center][color=#000000][/color][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b] My birthday is September 21st and I have decided to celebrate it with a difference...... trying my hands on a friction work here on nairaland. The story will be uploaded in form of a weekly post.... every Sunday I will make sure I post till the end of the story starting with 21st of September.
I really need to be criticized but please do it in love so you do not discourage me. My very sis: Seunfavor you are mostly invited. Muah Sammyhoe,divepen, davep, TiffanyJ, Audrey Timms.
I'm here ma'am. Will patiently wait for your updates
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 8:00am On Sep 14, 2014
Hassan85, Ifude, heemah,LyndaRoyce, meeteemzy,
edwife, vblinks, Ummuja, A.J Gold, Ngraced, Adegoke623,
ADDUKY, Kingphilip,divepen, Lanicky, Toykathy, Jasmine
2013, chariepet, Jeffrey James, Xtarxyne, Queen xstar,
Beevann, mamaav, orirebaby, ijbeauty, gorgeousnogo,
Ice4jez, bawelat, Diamonddamsel, epathra, demgirls,
Oluchikeh, tosinmoxy, Cpblessed, gracile, harmless Phil,
Akejujoe, pwettyolly, miss universe, Iolite, Ethel307,
hnkan, Jjrhymez, Gudsyd, joizy, winninght,
ashtonpicky245, teecute, eniodun26, Temmytayo20, seyi
Jayden, kkjoy, princeAdepoju, radiance, vonn, lilipet,
zeb04, Sweetcarrot, princessusan, paradise163, Abuklaw,
iphie17, mariammi, Jaymomma, Babyzai, Cscl4G,
Christabel, Lahrra, prettymisi, Hyfe, jiteshell, molarawaju,
benibank, science4meAkinkudin, Faithgokz, Zeenab,
Talk2riel, Mohammad11, Okem09,
01emek, Omortolah, Lorlaahlozz, Igwechosen, Kingo23,
Odward, Bishop Kay,
MunAKeyz, Helensharpay, Damex333, Karev wite,
Ludaloolo, Luckidoc,
Comsoy, Cho25bc, Dammygoody, Aytuns, Dareezyn,
Michaellegend, Monsurx,
Bertadayz, Hoyhebhukhunmy, Pammusphy, Ohibenemma,
Chukwusi, Winie,
Candy, LogoDwhiz, ChantelO, Gendebs, Akah.P, Temitope
Daniel,
Kingphilip,Leofish92, Mcgizx, PrinceAdepoju,
Emanuel1997,
Smithsammy, Bookhy, Folzz, JesusPrince, Study4christ,
Man4LordJesus,
Chimez4christ, 3Dimension, you are all invited
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 14, 2014
lopeoba: [center][/center][color=#000000][/color][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b] My birthday is September 21st and I have decided to celebrate it with a difference...... trying my hands on a friction work here on nairaland. The story will be uploaded in form of a weekly post.... every Sunday I will make sure I post till the end of the story starting with 21st of September.

Happy birthday to u in advance. May u live to see d d-day and d days after d d-day. Stay blessed lopeOBA!!!
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 8:35am On Sep 14, 2014
Larrysun your expert editing skills is also needed starting from 21st September....get prepared
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 14, 2014
What will I do when My biggest boss and friend invities me to read her story
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by hassan85(m): 9:52am On Sep 14, 2014
sammyhoe, tiffanj and divepen, audrey timms all here sure am gana be here too... happy birthday in advance... my first criticism is ds, av been reading here for some times now, one thing dt kills a work here on NL is taking toomuch time b4 u update u have readers yea suspense is OK but a week is toomuch an interval (my opinion)... looking forward.. I already like ur title.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by hassan85(m): 9:59am On Sep 14, 2014
sammyhoe, tiffanj and divepen, audrey timms all here sure am gana be here too... happy birthday in advance... my first criticism is ds, av been reading here for some times now, one thing dt kills a work here on NL is taking toomuch time b4 u update u have readers yea suspense is OK but a week is toomuch an interval (my opinion)... looking forward.. I already like ur title.......
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 11:12am On Sep 14, 2014
Thanks TiffanyJ, Sammyhoe and Divepen; really hope you guys won't be disappointed.

@ hassan85 ok.....lets see what can be done.

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 14, 2014
lopeoba: Thanks TiffanyJ, Sammyhoe and Divepen; really hope you guys won't be disappointed.

@ hassan85 ok.....lets see what can be done.
D only thing that would dissapoint me is if you give up on the story
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by seunfavor(f): 12:15pm On Sep 14, 2014
I gat ur back anytime dearie. U can do it
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by LarrySun(m): 12:46pm On Sep 14, 2014
lopeoba: Larrysun your expert editing skills is also needed starting from 21st September....get prepared
Okay. Happy birthday in advance.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by PrinceAdepoju(m): 9:48pm On Sep 14, 2014
Happy birthday in advance.

And

Thanks for inviting me.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by kingphilip(m): 6:23am On Sep 17, 2014
well as divepen have stated my greatest disappointment will b u giving up on this piece
lemme keep my finger crossed n hope for da best
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by TiffanyJ(f): 9:47am On Sep 17, 2014
kingphilip: well as divepen have stated my greatest disappointment will b u giving up on this piece
lemme keep my finger crossed n hope for da best
Oga sir, where you go hide yourself? Hope you've been good?
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 9:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
@ LarrySun Thanks...4 days to go
@ kingphilip and divepen... am promising not to give up. I am giving it my best shot.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
lopeoba: @ divepen... am promising not to give up. I am giving it my best shot.
We are solidly behind you.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by kingphilip(m): 3:13am On Sep 19, 2014
TiffanyJ:
Oga sir, where you go hide yourself? Hope you've been good?
I have o just bin scarce but I'm gonna show up over there soonest

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 12:17am On Sep 21, 2014
It is my birthday... developing cold feet already but I am going to do it.....

Dedicated to My sis: seunfavor, divepen, sammyhoe, kingphilip, hassan85, Tiffany, princeadepoju and larrysun. Thanks for believing in me.

PROLOGUE
Her cries signals her arrival,
Artemis the giver of fertility smiles;
Amidst a blood bath,
The innocent one arrives,
Out of the crystal spring,
The purest thing emerges.

The first stanza of Mimi's poem continued ringing in his memory as the sound of the organ filled the auditorium. He would not have believed if a seer had told him in less than two years after his father's death he would be getting married to Mirabelle. Jack glanced at his bride in her flawless white satin material which was fitted right from the top till it got to the waist where it form an "A" shaped attire. She is an angel with the white satin attire showing an innocent bride, although he knew better judging by her past experiences. She had insisted on a conventional wedding in her father's branch of Chapel of his glory ministry with him and his groom's men on a black tuxedo, white shirt and red bow tie. Sincerely he would not have cared what he wore, all he cared for was saying his vow.

The only thing that baffles him about his bride was why any sane man had not taken her to the altar this past 32 years of her life. Probably, they all had an aversion for fat ladies. He was one of them until he was forced into a situation that brought her in close contact with him.

The congregation continued singing the processional hymn "To God be the Glory" as Mirabelle clinging to father's arm along with her train moved slowly towards the altar. She had this beautiful smile on her face but he knew she would have given anything to have her closest friend here today as he would have also given anything to have the power to rewind the time. His mind quickly flashed back to the event of the last few years.

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 12:34am On Sep 21, 2014
Chapter 1
Darkness settled on a modest bungalow in Egbeda, Alimosho area of Lagos State. The house which was once painted in yellow now stood looking more of butter colour than it's original yellow colour. It has a big sitting room with an adjourning dining room, a kitchen, two restroom that doubled as bathroom and three rooms which included the master bedroom which was once occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Manuel, Jack's bedroom and the visitor's room.

The sitting room is sparsely furnished with simple but exquisite furniture. Mr. Manuel's favorite couch was at the right side of the sitting room. It had now become Jack's favorite seat since his return from Minneapolis. He had studied civil engineering at Walden university and had only returned home for his NYSC program since his father had insisted on it. It was two weeks to the rounding up of his service year in the head office of Mother Cart Construction Company in Maru local government of Zamfara State that he had lost his father to the cold hands of death in a ghastly motor accident. He was completely devastated and just went through the remaining two weeks to passing out parade with absent mind. Even the offer to retain him and make his appointment at Mother Cart Construction Company permanent one with a salary which was within the six digits figure could not lighten his mood. Although he wondered if his father would have permitted him to remain in Zamfara giving the activities of the dreaded militant group who never ceased operations in the north. He recalled that it was a tug of war to allow him come this far north for youth service. Now taking up the job that far north was out of question since he had a bereaved mother he has to continually look out for.

He felt lonely and scared of the unknown as the death of his father had revealed to him the extremely poor financially status of his family. Being an only child had left him with the responsibility of taking care of the house and his mother. All Mr. Manuel left was the house and a long list of unsettled debts he had incurred in the process of giving his son the best of tertiary education. If only Jack had one of his friends around, he would have felt a little more confident since he would have someone to speak to. He thought of his friends; Seth and Mathew, both of which he last saw in Minneapolis. Abdul his friend from service year was also not available since he resided in Sokoto State and they've only be communicating on phone since his attendance at Mr. Manuel's funeral. He thought of Jackie, his white ex-lover who had stated clearly that she was not interested in a permanent relationship with him but would very much want them to hang out together. Those few years together had been wonderful until she said she wanted to tie the knot with her childhood crush. He guessed one of the attractions as regards his relationship with Jackie was their names; Jackson and Jackie which made them self made twins while the relationship lasted.

Jack was still in this state and oblivious to his environment when Mrs Manuel came in. She gently place her hand on Jack who jolted up and only relaxed when he saw who it was.

" Mum you scared me" Jack told the black beautiful woman who looked 40 due to her petite stature but was actually going to be 52 in September. Mrs. Manuel smiled and only helped herself to a seat beside her son. She was proud of the handsome young man he had turned out to be; a civil engineer and also a responsible young man. The only thing that bothers her about him was this attitude of loosing himself in thought often times since this past six months her husband died. She also missed her husband and had been affected by his death but she has been able to balance it with the help of her friend; Martha and Pastor Adebola who had loaded her with calls and messages that had given her the will to move on.

"Jackson, I know it has been hard letting go of your father who is also my husband but I have learnt that no amount of our tears or actions will bring him back. I think it is high time you pick the pieces left and move ahead", Mrs. Manuel told her son.

Jack sighed then replied, " Mum you seem not to understand, Dad's death had really created a vacuum as there are so many bills to settle and the construction company Daddy works for had only paid the sum of N100,000 which was barely enough for the funeral arrangement as it was said that his father had taken a loan of 1.2 million but was only able able to pay N300,000 as at the time of his death which made him a debtor to the construction company amounting to a total of N900,000. The benefit any bereaved family of an employee of Triumph Construction on daddy's level is 1 million. The company had subtracted daddy's debt and paid N100,000 as the balance". He paused and glanced at his mother before adding softly, "there are also some petty debt which when totaled would still add up to N500,000 and also his monthly repayment of N50,000 to Access Bank for the loan he took to buy his car." Mrs. Manuel looked at her son who obviously is saddled with a whole lot of responsibilities that is weighing him down. She wished she had kicked against that loan from the bank but she had believed then that the family needed a car. If only she had not supported the loan, her husband may not be dead now as it was the same car that housed him at the point of death.

She gently placed her palm on her son's lap and spoke softly,"your father was a good man who loved his family so much especially you; Jackson. Right from the time you were born, he had promised to leave no stone unturned as regards your welfare. This he did religiously. He made sure you attended the best schools right from primary to tertiary. He went as far as borrowing just because he loved us. It was never his intention to saddle you with debt upon his death. He had made plans of repaying them and all of them would have been settled by the end of the year if not for his death." Jack never blamed his father for taking loans, instead he was grateful that his father was brave enough to sacrifice his comfort for the success of his son. If only he could get a job, then he would work out a repayment plan for the accumulated debt. He not only needed a job but needed one urgently and he knew that looking for job in Lagos was a job itself. Maybe he should call the chairman of Triumph construction company and seek for his help, after all the man himself had given him his phone number and asked Jack to call in case he needed help. He decided to give it a trial. He would call him tomorrow being Monday. He looked at his mother and smiled, "Mum, not to worry, all is well. We will be fine."
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by LarrySun(m): 12:46am On Sep 21, 2014
Kindly space out your paragraphs.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 4:34am On Sep 21, 2014
LarrySun: Kindly space out your paragraphs.

OK. Thanks.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by TiffanyJ(f): 5:48am On Sep 21, 2014
Nice one, but the tenses are mixed up. You need to edit your update.
By the way, Happy birthday ma'am
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by princesssusan(f): 7:34am On Sep 21, 2014
My sweet sis, i‘m really sorry i couldn‘t respond to ur invitation earlier.
Happy bday sis, wish u all da good things life could offer, have fun n don‘t 4get my cake o. Love you, emm......btw nice story i got ya bk covered

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by seunfavor(f): 8:02am On Sep 21, 2014
nice one dear. U can do it

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by seunfavor(f): 8:12am On Sep 21, 2014
lopeoba: It is my birthday... developing cold feet already but I am going to do it.....

Dedicated to My sis: seunfavor. Thanks for believing in me.

Hapi brtday dear. Keep being d best. Love u plenry

1 Like

Re: A Gift From The Heart. by seunfavor(f): 8:13am On Sep 21, 2014
lopeoba: It is my birthday... developing cold feet already but I am going to do it.....

Dedicated to My sis: seunfavor. Thanks for believing in me.

Hapi brtday dear. Keep being d best. Love u plenry.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2014
dedicated to princesssusan

Weekends are often the best time for the owner of Rainbow bar and guest house as customers were always in excess and as such making the bar overcrowded. This Sunday was not an exception as most of the tables and chairs were filled with customers. A group of which were the regular faces and another were new faces. The trio of Femi, Michael and Olamide who sat down at their usual table close to the door leading to the reception were part of the former group. Not only were they usual customers but also good customers who were always willing to spend any amount in the bar and guest house. This has earned them a table which was always reserved for them every Fridays and Sundays

"Guys, sincerely I wouldn't mind if the government declares an indefinite p.h for this Ebola thing" Olamide declares almost shouting since the music played was loud." Indefinite Public holiday! On top wetin oo" probed Femi. "Na hunger go finish you." Michael added sipping his fourth bottle of beer.

The guys continued chatting until Michael spotted Amanda and her friend walking up to their table. Amanda is a high profile call girl who is good at what she did. As Michael often joked; she would have been a professor in "bedmatics" if there was such course in the university. She is often Michael's choice when none of his girlfriends were available. Even her body movement when she walks and her smile portrays an art of practiced and accomplished seduction. "Chai...These girls are bent on killing any man today. Anyway I dey kampe" Michael said calling the attention of his friends to Amanda and Sasha. "Not again tonight, I thought you both promised me to stay of call girls" Femi said visibly irritated. Just before he could get a response Amanda walked up to Michael and planted a promising kiss on his lips. Femi stood up in annoyance and bid his friends farewell before leaving for his car. Olamide lost no time in going for Sasha and both couples made away to their respective cars.
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2014
TiffanyJ: Nice one, but the tenses are mixed up. You need to edit your update.
By the way, Happy birthday ma'am
Thanks Tiffanyj, will work on it
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by lopeoba(f): 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2014
seunfavor:

Hapi brtday dear. Keep being d best. Love u plenry.

love you more. u have made my day
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by PrinceAdepoju(m): 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2014
Happy birthday, ma'am.

Nice start..,
Re: A Gift From The Heart. by princesssusan(f): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2014
Tnx so much 4 da dedication

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon On Pres. Prof. John Evans Atta Mills’ Death / I Have Several Unpublished Stories And Novels / Writers Make Money, Readers Too..get In Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.