Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos (29801 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Ogun Begins Construction Of Light Rail In Sango-Ijoko-Akute-Alagbole / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by konari(m): 5:35am On Nov 03, 2008
http://www.lamata-ng.com/

midas check out the url, get in touch with the relevant authorities, air your views
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by illiest(m): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2008
Midas
, am happy some one feels like i feel, but i assure you some of them in govt,know these, but they dont want us to

move foward, they are dishonest,while the rest lack creativity,no focus, right from 1999 we should have achieved some of these, but all they do is embezle, impeach, travel round the world.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by skfa1: 10:01am On Nov 03, 2008
This should have been done long time ago,is just a pitty jare.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by yimiton(f): 10:11am On Nov 03, 2008
This is really well constructed and interesting. It also sounds very practical. It really doesn't matter how long it takes, it can be a long term project for all that I care but if more engineers contribute their quota here and there, I think this is can be a reality.

@ Poster, weldone.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by naijacutee(f): 12:25pm On Nov 03, 2008
*Bookmarked*
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 1:36pm On Nov 03, 2008
What previous and current lagos and federal goverment dont realise is that building a metro system is not about completing the whole net-work at once but to build in stages. Even London underground which is over 120 years old ( started in the 1890's ) is still evolving today. The lagos State goverment should start with a simple straight line from Maryland to Lagos Island. These should be broken into 2 stages - Lagos Isaland to Stadium - Phase one and 2nd phase will be Stadium to Ketu. At the same time another could be built fro VGC to VI - this is to encorage well heeled nigerians to get off their cars and take the train to VI. With time the VI line would be extended to join the lagos Island to Stadium line. The VI line can also branch to Ikoyi. The Lagos Island route could be extended westwards to Apapa and fast surface train from Apapa to Badary. Badagry should be developed as a satalite Town, that way lagos would be de-congested. The Ogun state govt with conjuction of the lagos govt and Oyo state should build a fast connections from Ketu to places like sagamu, Ijebu-ode and even Ibadan, Satalite Towns should be deveolped in these towns. That way lagos will be de congested. The VI TO VGC LINE should be extended to epe (these section would be fast surface train) epe should be developed into a satellit Town that will reduce all the bootle-neck between VGC and VI. I live 40 miles from cental london and it takes me only 20 minutes on the fast train. Is like traveling from sagamu to lagos island in 25 minutes. There are 2 ways this project can be funded 1) by the goverment and 2, - Venture Capitalist. The Venture capitalist would source funds from the banks (at least Nigerian banks are rich now with the recent capitalisation ) build, operate and mainatain for a number of years and passed over to the goverment when loans syndicated have been paid back and a little profit for themselves. The downside to this kind of development is the VC will choose the most profitable route ignoring the less priftable route. But the way I see it all routes within lagos metropolis are profitable not with the teeming overpopulatin of lagos. Thats my take on the lagos Metro system.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2008
Modalities of funding

If you know 10 wealthy Nigerians each contributing N100 MILLION Naira that is 1billion Naira,

10 Capitalised bank to contribute N1 billion million Naira that is 10 billion Naira, total funds 11 billion Naira.

In dollar terms that is 600 million dollars, in £ that is 390 million pounds less or about the same anount Nigerian consortium want to use to buy Newcastle Utd Football Club.

With that Kind of Money in place the 1st phase either the Stadium to Lagos Island could be built or the VGC to VI could be built.

Fares N100 per trip or N110 one day travel card the one day travel card can be used on several trips - the number trips could be limited because Nigeria been a special case.

Estimated passengers per day - conservative estimate will be 1 million, this will translate to 100 million a day Monday to Friday take out all necessary cost per day N25.00 MILLION, gross profit N75 Million per day, it is a Win-Win situation for Nigerians with foresight

Nigerans with money go for it[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 03, 2008
Nice one @ poster!!

I wish 9ja be like ds 1 day!!!

But firsT!! we need to solve the electricity problem, because all this metro stations needs electricity to RUN!! abi make NEPA cum take light again!! make dem no see LighT Monitors Trains!! na one kiLL Lagosians be thaT cheesy cheesy those GovernmenTs are theifs!!!

A ghanian told me about 600-800 Millions dollars was used to construct artificial DAM that generates electricity in GHANA, And our own Govt, embezzled 20 Billion DollarS! shocked

Wit 20 Billion USD, we will ve atleast 25 Artificial DAM to supporT 9ja electricity, men, when he go better?? how soon?? the govt, need to take sum Steps RiT now!!!

OR make TERRORIST jst cum to 9ja and BLOW THEIR HEAD OFF *** (All the Govt. dem) wey dey share our MONEY! grin
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by lammie01: 5:26pm On Nov 03, 2008
Very nice and informtaive article. I bet those in power know all these ideas but they tell us its the funds. Fellas how is it possible to realisitcally generate funds for thise projects. Lagos i suppose generates 10 billion naira monthly.

I also suggest if Lagos can be left to operate the Lagos ports and airports then the revenue could be diverted towards all these wonderful projects but we need sincere people in govt so they dont divert these monies into private pockets.

Fellas do you think Fashola could be classified as one of the sincere ones in power? I am not in Niger and libe in the Uk so might not be able to tell.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by saviola77(m): 6:48pm On Nov 03, 2008
@Midas
Lagos is estimated to have a population of somewhere between 9 million and 16 million denizens!. A quick look at Lagos and even a nut-case can easily come to the conclusion that a Metro-Rail service is desperately needed!. Lagos has become a nightmare, a hellish habitation with no evidence of intelligent plan or foresight, an agglomeration of relentless anarchy intermingled with chaotic and miserable depravation, an unworkable and lawless cornurbation of mythical proportions, a convoluted maze of unbearable gridlock and unproductive quadmires. The Denizens of Lagos spend unimaginable hours in desperate transition - sweating, cursing, fighting, struggling and pushing against all odds and accomplishing little. Billions and billions worth of productivity and purposeful living is thrown out of the window everyday!. The cost to the nation and to the health of those affected is at the very least inmmeasurable. For any leader or government to observe this and have nothing to offer year after year by way of planning and relief is an unfortunate disaster, a collossal error of judgement, a great shame and an outrage! We have never had a government worthy of its name and this is evidenced in the state of affairs in the Nation. If we think the nation is distressed, then Lagos is even more so and the heart of this problem is the successive elevation of mindless,depraved and worthless men to positions of authority. Needlessly, the current state of Lagos can be described in two words - incomprehensible carnage!!

Do you have to use these words to be heard, *quoting a friend whom i sent this post to* anyways your article is right on point. I really believe a city of this magnitude should have all these things you have mentioned and even much more. I know we can pull this off, it's just a matter of time.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by LePhilippe(m): 9:48pm On Nov 03, 2008
Not only are your ideas well scripted, you propose a wide spectrum of incredible solutions and answers to the numerous qualms which befall our fair city Lagos and our 'fatherland' Nigeria. You ideas are more than a breathe of fresh air, they can be described as a whisper from God on how to finally fix our broken city. Most of your proposals, littered through you beautiful and articulate writings I most add, I share myself. It is as though my dreams for a better Nigeria have been personified with the result being your above post.

Please Midas, do not give up! Let your voice be heard. Scream these proposals to the powers-that-be, make sure yourvoice is audible, why, if only one of the numerous plans you have stated were put into place, a visible differecnce would be clear within 24 hours of its implications. Don't stop here, please, continue to update us with more of your ideas, more visual representations, more proposals. Perhaps, you are the leader God intends for Nigeria to have!

And by the way, I have a suggestuon. Looking at your proposed map of the (dear I say) furture Lagos metro line, I can see just one tiny little update, not vital, but which would aid the project. Take a look at where the Orange line intersects the Blue line between the stations at MMA-Local, Ipaja, Adeniyi-Jones and Agege. Perhaps, a station could be located at this point in order to ease movement and smoothen out transition between these two lines. I am not an expert on Lagos cartography but where that point is located, the station should bear the same name.

Keep up the good work please and take care.

OUR FUTURE LEADER!

P.s I along with every single forumer on this site are looking forward to any moer of your future posts.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by TPS360: 11:19pm On Nov 03, 2008
road construction is not the solution, metro-rail system is for lagos,
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 4:58am On Nov 04, 2008
LePhilippe,

Thanks for your encouragement and your eagle-eyed observation. Once you pointed it out, I immediately realized that it was an illustration error, luckily I have a master plan to refer to!. The blue line should have continued to 'Adeniyi Jones Station' before turning off towards 'Ipaja'. I have corrected the error and I thank you for your contribution. One of the reasons it couldn't have been the other way is best seen thru satellite imaging, the area would have been unusable and mainly Airport grounds! Anyhow, this image is mainly for graphic illustration and is not geographically accurate (Illustration is designed to give the best possible visual and logical clarity, rather than precision). The satellite image will be more geographically precise but this will perhaps be at the expense of visual and logical clarity wink
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by quadrillio(m): 10:37am On Nov 04, 2008
Nice One, well detailed.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by benincitys(f): 12:50pm On Nov 04, 2008
Midas02:

LePhilippe,

Thanks for your encouragement and your eagle-eyed observation. Once you pointed it out, I immediately realized that it was an illustration error, luckily I have a master plan to refer to!. The blue line should have continued to 'Adeniyi Jones Station' before turning off towards 'Ipaja'. I have corrected the error and I thank you for your contribution. One of the reasons it couldn't have been the other way is best seen through satellite imaging, the area would have been unusable and mainly Airport grounds! Anyhow, this image is mainly for graphic illustration and is not geographically accurate (Illustration is designed to give the best possible visual and logical clarity, rather than precision). The satellite image will be more geographically precise but this will perhaps be at the expense of visual and logical clarity wink
well done brother . cool
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by zoomzu(f): 1:36pm On Nov 04, 2008
How I wish this could get to people up there. Anyone with link in NAS, ASO ROCK and Lagos House of Assembly should please pass the link to them.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by zoomzu(f): 1:51pm On Nov 04, 2008
CONTACT DETAILS

Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA)
Block C 2nd Floor Motorways Centre,
Motorways Avenue, Alausa,
Ikeja, Lagos.

Tel: 01- 2702778-82
Fax: 01- 2702783
SMS Only: 0703 8699 366

Email:
info@lamata-ng.com

enquires@lamata-ng.com

Pasted above is LAMATA address but will it get to Fashola? That is the big question.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by slyk2(m): 2:34pm On Nov 04, 2008
FASHOLA WILL DO IT, trust him
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by zoomzu(f): 3:17pm On Nov 04, 2008
@sly-K

[color=#006600]T[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]he question at hand now is that, how will this proposal get to him. Govt, too should creat a forum like this where people can air thiers views about what is going on in society, this will really help them in taking some decisions.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by toxnaija: 4:27pm On Nov 04, 2008
midas02,
please get in touch with me asap.I have passed your wonderful write-up to Gov.Fashola since Sunday.I have an appointment with him in a few hours over your proposal and some other issues.please call me on 08023337877.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by zoomzu(f): 5:08pm On Nov 04, 2008
Thank you for going that far Mr. toxnaija. keep us posted on your meeting with Gov. Fasola. Eko o ni baje!!!!!!!
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by subice(m): 7:43pm On Nov 04, 2008
This is a very good and comprehensive write-up. I hope you can get it to those who can make it a reality.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Epiphany(m): 8:47pm On Nov 04, 2008
Good man. But this is a waste unless your views are aired. Is it not possible to send this to the ministry of transport or something? Even if they do not do anything about it, at least you would have the satisfaction that you came up with the recommendation!

Good job
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 12:20am On Nov 05, 2008
Below is a 'DEMU' commuter train operating in Athens, Greece. This types of light train do not have to use overhead electricity or powered third rail (as someone mentioned earlier). DEMU (Diesel-Electric Multiple Units) are trains that use an onboard diesel powerplant to generate high voltage electricity which is then used for electric propulsion. The advantages of this arrangement with regards to Lagos use is obvious. DEMU's are used even in the most advanced countries because not every railway line is electrified, plus DEMU also allows for quick acceleration and deceleration, flexibility, reliability, reduced complexity and lower infrastructural cost.

Something else to observe in the image (below) is the simplicity and ingenuity of the train station. Notice that the train station is located in the median between a highway thus taking advantage of an existing Right-of-Way. For instance, this particular arrangement would be ideal for the proposed Orange Line - in the section running from 'Ojota Station' all the way to 'Gbagada Station' (see illustrated image in previous page). This section of the Orange Line is proposed to run in the median along the 3rd Mainland Hwy Axis (before reaching the actual bridge or water section). From satellite images, I was able to observe the wide unused median and possibly take advantage of it. From 'Gbagada Station' the line will have to swing inland and run through 'Bariga Station' on the way to 'Akoka Station'.

The DEMU train below is manufactured by Siemens AG and uses the Standard Gauge (1435mm) railway.

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 1:27am On Nov 05, 2008
(Below) Two units of Bombardier Talent DMU (diesel Multiple unit) in a back to back coupling arrangement. Units operate between Bonn and Duisdorf, Germany. Notice the standard gauge non-electrified railway line. Each unit of this paticular example is set up as three (3) carriages.

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 1:38am On Nov 05, 2008
(Below) An Alstom Citadis pulls into a station in Madrid, Spain. Notice the simple open air station. Stations do not need to be elaborate and should be mostly open air types with angled canopy for weather protection.

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2008
@Midas02

There is a way you go by this where the Government does not need to spend one kobo.

What the Lagos state government should do is to

1) Commercialize road(sell all the road in lagos)
2) Sell 3 to 4 License to operate transport
3) Set up a transport Authority

Commercialize Road (Sell all Road in Lagos State)

What you do is to have all the roads in Lagos state in sold to road contractor Firm for a period 5 years

The road firm will
1) Own
2) repair Pot holes
3) Maintain markings and trafic Lights
4) Clean Roads

The roads will be given colours to show the owners of the road, so that when there is a problem we know who to point to. The road firm will bid for this roads and they will be monitored. For competition and development there should be 5 blocks of licences that 5 and more road firm should bid for.
There must be an analyses of what the companies will gain.

A road is like a house you can make alot of money from it. The five companies will get access to a road fund that will be set up by the state government. Where there is traffic the Government can or will setup mini toll gate for Private car Users.

Sell Transport Licenses

Instead of Brt and co. you dont need to involve yourself in that. Just provide four licenses with one going for a token fee to NURTW. The companies that shall bid for this will comform to these rule before they are confirmed onwers of the Licences

1) They will provide buses of the same brand for instances if it is Toyota buses it must be all true
2) They will provide back up mechanic shop ( all this to avoid dumping)
3) They will operate Simple and Cooperate Taxis
4) They will operate Aircondition Bus System and Non Aircondition Bus System
5) They will operate by routes in only lagos state
6) They will operate a ticket system could be cash for ticket or by prepaid card system

The Benefits of having a License

1) Tax will be waived by state for 5 to 10years as the state may deem fit
2) There will be no Extortion by policemen
3) The buses and cars used for transportation imported will have some tax exemption.
4) The companies will be the only authorized ones to move Goods in the state
5) The companies will be given the first right to reject or accept The future running of a train system that will entail underground and light rail service.

The cost of the licences will be in the region of $100 million. If you watch very well the bus system now we have the banks are already investing in it you just need to organise you will make money for Lagos state.
The state government will make a cool 400million dollar or even more as it will by bid may be on radio or something.

SET UP A TRANSPORT AUTHORITY.

Their job will be to set up
1) Transport police officer
They will arrest and prosecute any trafic offender.
2) You must have a Lagos state Car Tax
Like in singapore where the car you drive has little or no value compared to the money you pay to drive the car. Let me explain.

when you buy a car of say $10,000 you are to pay another $10,000.
When you dont want to drive the car again you can take your $10,000 back.

So to those who have 5 cars will think twice before they buy 2 cars. It will not be easy to enforce this in Lagos but the effect will be so wonderful that Lasgos and any city in the world will be at the same level.

The public transport and their operator will be exempted from this.

I dont have all wisdom and I know there are people that can fine tune these thoughts. I do it for My beloved country Nigeria
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by landis(m): 9:25am On Nov 05, 2008
Yes, we can. It is not magic but

1. where is the POWER to run the metro system?

2. where is maintenance culture to keep it working?

3. we dont even have 24hours constant supply of NEPA.

We cannot even maintain LAGOS-IBADAN highway and now you want to dabble into metro.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 10:26am On Nov 05, 2008
@Landis

Forget power, the electricity powering the trains will be dedicated power lines, that is they are independent of the National Grid, just like your GSM Phones, each Mobile telephone antenna line is powered by 2, 24 hours generators, these generators are are used and sold off every 2 years and new ones bought to replace the old ones. That is the reason why when you make calls in Nigeria you get connected. I am not saying the trains should be run by genarators but by newly built dedicated power plants(by dedicated I mean the power plants running the trains would not be supplying house holds or industries ). The cost of building the dedicated power plant should be incorporated in the investment appraisal for the whole project.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by landis(m): 12:52pm On Nov 05, 2008
@knowAll,

The cost of building the dedicated power plant should be incorporated in the investment appraisal for the whole project.

where you going to get GAS to power your plant?

OBJ build papalanto power plant only to discover no GAS.

I am not against the idea,infact, I am in position to get 'good used metro' for nothing to Nigeria.

These can be used in small towns.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 1:17pm On Nov 05, 2008
The Truth of the matter is that we sold GSM LICENCES and Nigerians companies are buying up telecomunication companies in smaller countries.
Once you set the principle working it will catch fire like lets look at our banks.

A south African friend boasted that Nigerian banks can't enter south Africa the rest is History.

If you use single Government effort(as what you have in the BRT) you will Loose out.

You just need to set the structure and then you will see the millionaires work for you.

The Private sector know how to get cheap and very good deals Just look at the Hosting Cost of under 17 world youth football from 314 million dollars to 74 million dollars.

If it is the government paying for it The Technocrats and middlemen will want to make a fortune.

Imagine if Nigerian Government wanted to set up 4 GSM Companies we would have lost millions or even billions of dollars. Just set up the structure you will make money Lagos will be a good Guinea pig.

There are Nigerians looking for what to use money for just set a way where the people can come buy up the transport system of Lagos state the business men know how to cut cost. Give them Tax waivers, tax Holidays, rebate and other incentives.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by landis(m): 2:39pm On Nov 05, 2008
The Truth of the matter is that we sold GSM LICENCES and Nigerians companies are buying up telecomunication companies in smaller countries.
Once you set the principle working it will catch fire like lets look at our banks.

how come the many refineries licenced are not performing wonders?

how come the many power plant licenced are not performing wonders?

GSM infra is not same as ruining metro system

But I agree YES we can.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane / Updates On The Lagos - Ibadan Railway Line (Photos) / Anambra Int'l Airport: Commercial Flights Arrive From Abuja & Lagos:video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.