Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,752 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (217516 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OLAplusONE(m): 6:17am On Sep 16, 2014
A classmate's surname back in the days was Okoidegun... We yoruba guys could laff like smth else @ d mention of that name.. LOL

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by hijacke(m): 6:17am On Sep 16, 2014
Ja chi ke - adore the Lord
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by chelseabmw(m): 6:17am On Sep 16, 2014
Osemudiamen...... God stands for me

Edo name. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nedu2000(m): 6:18am On Sep 16, 2014
Zimuzo....show me the way
Kamsiyonna (I invented that name as no1 older than 23 answers it)

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Afrocatalyst: 6:18am On Sep 16, 2014
gbaskiboy: yeah cos God originates with Ibos in Naija

Sarcasm.

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by chalbert(m): 6:18am On Sep 16, 2014
Chimezie - may God intervene
chiemezie- God has intervened
amarachukwu- God's grace
chukwuebuka- God is big
ikenna- God's power
somtoochukwu- join me in praising God
oluomachukwu- The good hand work of God
chibuzor- God first
eberechukwu- God's mercy
chinwe - God's own

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by siino(m): 6:19am On Sep 16, 2014
Odinaka

Chizoba grin angry
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by GoodBoi1(m): 6:19am On Sep 16, 2014
thunder74: Most of the names has "Chukwu" or Chi" before or after.
just like yoruba's are Olu--

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by bist: 6:20am On Sep 16, 2014
officialcharlz: So i decided to share some nice names igbo people bear and their meaning. Feel free to add yours...

1. Obimnaetochukwu - My heart praises God.
This is a personal fave. also the name of a popular nigerian artiste. Though not so popular, this name's meaning signifies a great deal.

2. Chimamanda- My God can never fall/fail.
this name resounds the infallibility of God. also the name of famous nigerian writer Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie.

3. Chizutere- God sent.
a favorite among the igbo community, other versions include zicora, ziteora. it is also unisex.

4. kamsiyochukwu - literally means 'As i have asked God'.
this name is mostly given when a mother has gotten her heart desire as the name implies.

6. Ndidiamaka- Patience is a virtue.
It sure is. a female-based name which clearly states the importance of patience in having a child.

Others include-
7. Chukwuebuka- God is mighty.
8. Chibuikem- God is my strength.
9. Ifeanyichukwu- Nothing is big for God (He can do all things).
10. Chidindu- God lives.

sound like the continuation of a sentence to me, maybe a favourite Igbo quote.

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Jayriel: 6:20am On Sep 16, 2014
OBIAJULU-MY HEART IS FULL OF JOY/MY IS HEART IS AT PEACE

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by GoodBoi1(m): 6:21am On Sep 16, 2014
Chinonyerem
Chikezie
Chidozie
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:22am On Sep 16, 2014
ifyn4real: Ifeanyichukwu- Nothing is big for God (He can do all things). cheesy
Correct Guy. Your Head Dey There!

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by YoungDaNaval(m): 6:25am On Sep 16, 2014
But Why Is It People With The Name Uju(s) & Ebuka(s) Are Always Fat?

#asking4rmexperince.

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Syfy(f): 6:25am On Sep 16, 2014
IFUNANYA- LOVE
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 16, 2014
I'm igbo and I find igbo names quite annoying to be honest. I prefer names from the deep south and the middle belt. Neutral & tongue friendly names like Kalada,Rotnen, Tamuno any day of the week for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by dammyjay93(m): 6:30am On Sep 16, 2014
gbaskiboy: YIMU "ukwu" na waist oo
uzoch"ukwu" toch"ukwu" etc.. No wonder my ibo brothers can die for ukwu any day grin grin

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by David0(m): 6:30am On Sep 16, 2014
So therefore, all igbo names are beautiful I guess. Cos na all d names una don mention finish o.

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 16, 2014
constance500: All this names sounds like missiles to me grin

Majority of dem karin 'chi'
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Vonwolf(m): 6:33am On Sep 16, 2014
Obinna

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by ernie4life(m): 6:33am On Sep 16, 2014
ekpereamaka- prayer is Good. that's my favourite igbo name and one of my kids must bear that name

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Mettal: 6:37am On Sep 16, 2014
Chisora. Name i reserve for my daughter,don't steal it, i hate rampant names.

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lawrenceunaa: 6:40am On Sep 16, 2014
proudly igbo,

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 6:41am On Sep 16, 2014
Afrocatalyst: Do we have to put Chi in all the names. I need core igbo names pls for my unborn daughter.

Why not try names like..

Adaobi
Adaora
Adanna
Adannaya
Ebere/Ebele
Ezinne
Ifeoma
Lotanna
Obianuju
Obiageli
Ojiugo
Ngozi

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by ObiOkpor(m): 6:41am On Sep 16, 2014
1,Anaezichukwuolu - Do you show GOD what to do?
2,Agwabunma -beauty of a woman lies in her character.
3,Nmasinachi - good thing comes from GOD.
4,Nzubechukwu - God‘s will or wish.
5,Chukwugbabaja - God is our doctor.
6,Ezinwanne - Good sibling(s).
7,Amuchechi - Nobody knows the heart of GOD.
8,Chukwuemeka - GOD has done good to me/us (That‘s my name)
*proud to be one of IGBO generation*

10 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by xynerise: 6:42am On Sep 16, 2014
Ekeledirichukwuotitidirichineke grin

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 16, 2014
Mettal: Chisora. Name i reserve for my daughter,don't steal it, i hate rampant names.

What is the meaning pls?

I know zimbabweans name their male children Chisora.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Afrocatalyst: 6:43am On Sep 16, 2014
gbosaa:

Why not try names like..

Adaobi
Adaora
Adanna
Adannaya
Ebere/Ebele
Ezinne
Ifeoma
Lotanna
Obianuju
Obiageli
Ojiugo
Ngozi

nice. Thank you.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by vict505(m): 6:45am On Sep 16, 2014
Please for those of us who want to learn mention and attach the meaning now. Hian

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 16, 2014
Horayce: I'm igbo and I find igbo names quite annoying to be honest. I prefer names from the deep south and the middle belt. Neutral & tongue friendly names like Kalada,Rotnen, Tamuno any day of the week for me.

Why havent you changed your names to those

14 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by simplynola(m): 6:47am On Sep 16, 2014
I have 2 neighbours, one is Otakagu and the other sounds like ozubechukwu or is it uzubechukwu. Kindly decode the meaning pls
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nnanyereugo(m): 6:50am On Sep 16, 2014
O N Y E B U C H I.......! I'm so proud of dat name.[b][/b]

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Please, Teach Me Efik/ibibio (calabar/akwa-ibom) Language. / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men / Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.