Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,026 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (217507 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nnenneigbo(f): 11:10am On Sep 16, 2014
Afam4eva:
I was surprised my myself. Emeka is the single most popular igbo name.

love the name Emeka, usually fine boys too. Don't know a single ugly Emeka cheesy

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Afam4eva(m): 11:16am On Sep 16, 2014
nnenneigbo:

love the name Emeka, usually fine boys too. Don't know a single ugly Emeka cheesy
Rev Emeka King is fugly grin
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by berrystunn(m): 11:27am On Sep 16, 2014
Unekz: ibrahim
aliyu
basiru
adamu
maryam
aisha
zainab
musa
lovely names

Get outttttttttttttttt Aturu angry

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by skybeauty(f): 11:31am On Sep 16, 2014
Igbos are known to name their child/children according to an event/circumstance surrounding the birth of d child names like:
Mgbeke (female) and Okeke (male) are for children born on eke market day
Mgbafor(female) and Okafor (male) are for children born on afor market day
And so is Mgboye and Okoye, Mgbankwo and Okonkwo for children born on oye and nkwo market days respectively.

There are other beautiful ancient igbo names like:
Ogbenyeanu meaning a poor man should not marry her
Asikabuluabulu meaning for their to be unity we must agree
Nwadiuto meaning sweet child
Ifekelumma meaning a creation of beauty
Ubasinachi meaning wealth if from God
Diarachukwundu meaning live for God
Kasiemobi meaning console me
Ositadimma meaning it should be well from today
Ugonwa meaning eagle child......... I could go on and on but let me stop here

Finally i rep Obianuju

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by jtroy(m): 11:34am On Sep 16, 2014
OMG!!!!!
O my days. Thiis is very funny lol
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by berrystunn(m): 11:38am On Sep 16, 2014
freshness2020: Chinedu-God guides!(most popular male igbo names)
Chikodinaka...e D̶̲̅ε̲̣y for God hands!
Chidera..What is written is written..
Chikadibia..God pass Babalawo.
Udoka...Peace Rules!
ChiAmaka..God is so beautiful. (one of most populous female igbo names)
Chizoba...God saves!
Amarachi...God's Grace!
Anayochukwu..we D̶̲̅ε̲̣y beg God.
Iheoma...Things of God!
ChiEbuka..God is big!

IHEOMA HAHAHAH IS GOOD THINGS
IHECHUKWU IS THINGS OF GOD
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 16, 2014
Nkiruka ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh grin
Jona than grin
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by thwarrior72: 11:41am On Sep 16, 2014
Horayce: I'm igbo and I find igbo names quite annoying to be honest. I prefer names from the deep south and the middle belt. Neutral & tongue friendly names like Kalada,Rotnen, Tamuno any day of the week for me.
Someone with inferiority complex detected wink grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Cheks01(f): 11:42am On Sep 16, 2014
CHEKWUBECHUKWU............. Hope in God. AKUNNAYA............... Wealth of the father.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 11:42am On Sep 16, 2014
skybeauty: Igbos are known to name their child/children according to an event/circumstance surrounding the birth of d child names like:
And so is Mgboye and Okoye, Mgbankwo and Okonkwo for children born on oye and nkwo market days respectively.

Finally i rep Obianuju

You forgot ukwu ngwele
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by kennynelcon(m): 11:44am On Sep 16, 2014
officialcharlz: So i decided to share some nice names igbo people bear and their meaning. Feel free to add yours...

1. Obimnaetochukwu - My heart praises God.
This is a personal fave. also the name of a popular nigerian artiste. Though not so popular, this name's meaning signifies a great deal.

2. Chimamanda- My God can never fall/fail.
this name resounds the infallibility of God. also the name of famous nigerian writer Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie.

3. Chizutere- God sent.
a favorite among the igbo community, other versions include zicora, ziteora. it is also unisex.

4. kamsiyochukwu - literally means 'As i have asked God'.
this name is mostly given when a mother has gotten her heart desire as the name implies.

6. Ndidiamaka- Patience is a virtue.
It sure is. a female-based name which clearly states the importance of patience in having a child.

Others include-
7. Chukwuebuka- God is mighty.
8. Chibuikem- God is my strength.
9. Ifeanyichukwu- Nothing is big for God (He can do all things).
10. Chidindu- God lives.

Kenechukwu but I like onyinye for females
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 16, 2014
Why are people finding igbo Names "funny"?

undecided
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by oweniwe(m): 11:53am On Sep 16, 2014
abeg oo

what does Mmesoma mean?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Blizzyblinkzy(f): 11:54am On Sep 16, 2014
Ngozichukwu - blessings of God.
Chijindum - God holds my life.
Amarachi - The grace of God.
Ihechi - Property of God.
Chukwuka - God is the greatest.
Chinyere - God giveth.
Ijeoma - Safe journey.
Chidinma - God is good.
Chibueze - GoD is king.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by mrgreen4real(m): 11:57am On Sep 16, 2014
OKORO NMADU
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 16, 2014
wo1F:

Thanks for this insight
Had a close friend during service by the name Chioma. Always found it difficult to address him by that. Most times I'd just go with "Onyem meaning My Guy" grin

And you're right; he's from Abia State!

You did agree that if he beared Chukwuoma, you will hardly notice that its exactly same with chioma. You will feel very free to call him Chukwuoma
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lionduke(m): 12:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
ToriEmManson: U must be an accident ,I'm wondering y u occured in a womans womb cos u shud av happened on d highway...
but the guy no lie
You know na
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by VivyGift(f): 12:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author:-phrankin] Hope
[/quote]

Thank you.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 16, 2014
oweniwe: abeg oo

what does Mmesoma mean?
Mmesoma is short form for Mmesomachi. which means the goodness of God
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lionduke(m): 12:02pm On Sep 16, 2014

what does Mmesoma mean?
mmesoma means God good deeds
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Blizzyblinkzy(f): 12:03pm On Sep 16, 2014

what does Mmesoma mean?
his grace upon me
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Katier00(f): 12:07pm On Sep 16, 2014
Afrocatalyst: Do we have to put Chi in all the names. I need core igbo names pls for my unborn daughter.
Name her Nchedochukwu meaning God's protection. That name will go with her everywhere
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
skybeauty: Igbos are known to name their child/children according to an event/circumstance surrounding the birth of d child names like:

Finally i rep Obianuju

Madam,where are u from?

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
Blizzyblinkzy: Ngozichukwu - blessings of God.
Chijindum - God holds my life.
Amarachi - The grace of God.
Ihechi - Property of God.
Chukwuka - God is the greatest.
Chinyere - God giveth.
Ijeoma - Safe journey.
Chidinma - God is good.
Chibueze - GoD is king.

Ihechi is actually Iheechi=light of God.
Ijeoma in this context is not safe journey, cos the baby just came and isnt dying yet so y safe journey?
Ijeoma in the name context is ' Good or fruitful voyage' that is to say the baby is on earthly journey of fruitfulness or goodness in the family and d society.

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chibuikem! Me likey!
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
berrystunn:

IHEOMA HAHAHAH IS GOOD THINGS
IHECHUKWU IS THINGS OF GOD
Ihe=something or things as u said. and
Ihe= Light or luminance .
So its light of God in some cases.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by ulster: 12:34pm On Sep 16, 2014

Finally i rep Obianuju

You must be from Aro or close by.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Amhappy(f): 12:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chimnondu-My God is alive
Chizaram-God has answered me
Omasirichim- It pleased my God
Chidiuto-God is Sweet
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by ulster: 12:35pm On Sep 16, 2014

Finally i rep Obianuju
OdenigboAroli:

Madam,where are u from?

I feel you...She must be Aro or close by!
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nelson2014(m): 12:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
Some names here na sentence o lol.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by VivyGift(f): 12:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
mekadinho:
Keep faith, have hope... Don't give up...
Okay. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Please, Teach Me Efik/ibibio (calabar/akwa-ibom) Language. / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men / Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.