Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 AM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (405543 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by agabusta: 10:37am On Sep 26, 2014
Jonathan assents institute of safety professional's bill ...Now we can say we are safety professionals - Ilodiuba

A bill on Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria 2014 passed by the National Assembly has received the assent of President Goodluck Jonathan.

It would be recalled that the Clerk of the National Assembly, Alhaji Salisu Maikasua, had forwarded the act of parliament to the President for his assent on April 24.

The bill was passed by the Senate on April 19, 2012, while the House of Representatives passed the bill on March 20, 2014.

The bill, which has now become law after the President's assent, vested in the institute the power to “organise and provide professional training in the area of safety management.”

The institute is also expected to “set standards of practice and determine the knowledge and skills to be acquired by persons seeking to register and practice as safety professionals and to improve on such standards from time to time.”

The institute is also granted the power to “conduct examinations and award certificates and diplomas as well as advise employers on matters relating to qualifications for the practice of safety management in Nigeria.”

In an interview with Safety Record Newspaper, President, ISPON, Dr. Nnamdi Ilodiuba, expressed his happiness at the bill which has become a law in the country.

He said, “I am happy that the bill materialized in my own time, but I am not claiming the glory, because the glory goes to every member of the institute, especially to my past presidents, but because it has materialized in my time, I am happy.”

On the bill signed into law, Ilodiuba said, “the bill passed into law has given us the authority to practice Health, Safety and Environment in the country, without fear or favour. It has given us authority to coordinate our members as professionals, and most importantly, makes us to be proud of ourselves; proud of our jobs; proud of our profession; and to be proud of what we do.

We can now go out to town to tell people that we are safety professionals, which we are. Before now, somehow, we may say that half heartedly, but now we can say it with all authority that we are professionals in the Health, Safety and Environment industry.”

The president who emphasized that ISPON is the only recognized safety body in Nigeria says every other body or persons would have to be registered under ISPON in order to practice safety in the country.

The new law also prescribed a fine not exceeding N100,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or both for individual who is not registered by the institute but claimed to be a registered safety professionals.

While a fine of not less than N500,000 is prescribed for corporate organisation that makes false entry as safety organisation.

http://www.safetyrecord.com.ng/2014/09/jonathan-assents-institute-of-safety.html

Indeed the ISPON bill has been passed and assented by the President. Apologies to Greatken007 for doubting earlier. I just have to go and register as a member with ISPON as soon as possible to be a recognized safety professional.

I have the ISPON ACT, but I'm unable to upload it here. Its 280kb and in PDF format. If anybody needs it, just to to National Assembly website to download it. It is yet to be uploaded under the Acts section, so it is under the bills section one will still find it.

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by juicyinn: 2:01pm On Sep 27, 2014
Quote author=Sejj]

[/quote]please can u send me materials for NEBOSH international technical certificate in oil and gas and NEBOSH igc pleas. Here's my email mrsfaithsalawe@gmail.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 8:29am On Sep 28, 2014
juicyinn: please can u send me materials for NEBOSH international technical certificate in oil and gas and NEBOSH igc pleas. Here's my email mrsfaithsalawe@gmail.com

Hi, Check ur mail. Feel free to share with others.

@House. The ISPON act is a welcome development. HSE in Nigeria needs to be regulated. However, I believe the law invalidates other training centers and this isn't encouraging.

You see, training centers like charkins, falckprime, finny intergrated services, SGS and a host of others are better poised than ISPON to deliver specialized HSE courses. Don't forget safety also spans to maritime safety, construction safety, industrial safety, food safety and so on- these are fields ISPON don't have the technical know- how to handle at the moment. What they need to do is adopt the NEBOSH approach- register centers as course providers and regulate the contents and examinations. Also it wouldn't hurt to affiliate with bodies such as OPITO and IRCA.

Another issue that would rear its head soon is ISPON asking intending members to undertake the General HSE and HSE level 3 courses irrespective of the fact that one may hold a NEBOSH IGC course or have field experience with top level certifications. Haba! It's like asking a graduate to repeat primary one. They ought to make provisions for people who may have undergone these trainings in other institutes prior to now. Even IIRSM and IOSH accept their membership from holders of NEBOSH or equivalent certifications. I'd advice ISPON adopts the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) model.

It's a new law but might be needing an ammendent soon. I'm sipping my zobo and watching events unfold.

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by agabusta: 11:34am On Sep 28, 2014
Allwility:

@House. The ISPON act is a welcome development. HSE in Nigeria needs to be regulated. However, I believe the law invalidates other training centers and this isn't encouraging.

You see, training centers like charkins, falckprime, finny intergrated services, SGS and a host of others are better poised than ISPON to deliver specialized HSE courses. Don't forget safety also spans to maritime safety, construction safety, industrial safety, food safety and so on- these are fields ISPON don't have the technical know- how to handle at the moment. What they need to do is adopt the NEBOSH approach- register centers as course providers and regulate the contents and examinations. Also it wouldn't hurt to affiliate with bodies such as OPITO and IRCA.

Another issue that would rear its head soon is ISPON asking intending members to undertake the General HSE and HSE level 3 courses irrespective of the fact that one may hold a NEBOSH IGC course or have field experience with top level certifications. Haba! It's like asking a graduate to repeat primary one. They ought to make provisions for people who may have undergone these trainings in other institutes prior to now. Even IIRSM and IOSH accept their membership from holders of NEBOSH or equivalent certifications. I'd advice ISPON adopts the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) model.

It's a new law but might be needing an ammendent soon. I'm sipping my zobo and watching events unfold.

I don't think the law invalidates other trainings. It is a good development, it seeks to bring all safety professionals in Nigeria under one body, which is very cool.

It's just like any other professional body in Nigeria such as COREN (for engineers), ICAN, etc.

I'm sure ISPON will evolve into a far better organisation with the passage of this law. Safety professionals from different sectors will join the body, bringing variety, richness and quality into ISPON.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by akokite: 6:53pm On Sep 29, 2014
harlyon: . In Nigeria,one can go into the HSE career with any discipline.you only need good certifications to back up your degree.General HSE and level 3 is the certifications you need to get you started..
can you please tell us where and how to locate such jobs .my first degree is biochemistry
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by akokite: 6:57pm On Sep 29, 2014
harlyon: . In Nigeria,one can go into the HSE career with any discipline.you only need good certifications to back up your degree.General HSE and level 3 is the certifications you need to get you started..
can you please tell us where and how to locate such jobs .my first degree is biochemistry and I noticed that all the adverts I see in the papers are for those with engineering first degrees
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by phykel(m): 3:00pm On Sep 30, 2014
Allwility:

i beg i intend to start certifications in HSE Cc=an u send materials to me plsssss.And training centers. my mail address is senatorowo@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by temi127: 10:18pm On Sep 30, 2014
hello house, pls a doctor friend of mine was asking about the importance of the NISP and if taking the course would have any relevance in his field.. someone spoke to both of us about the programme and he feels it's not for him..any advice pls?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Samotobor1(m): 10:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hello house,am a corper n i intend to start the novelle UK HSE level 1-3 course soon,pls shud i continue or enrol wit ISPON
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Samotobor1(m): 10:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ya
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by agabusta: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2014
temi127: hello house, pls a doctor friend of mine was asking about the importance of the NISP and if taking the course would have any relevance in his field.. someone spoke to both of us about the programme and he feels it's not for him..any advice pls?

If he is interested in Occupational medicine, then it will be of value to him.

I remember one NISP course I did years back was taken by a medical doctor, who has been a doctor with Guinness for years.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Bearshare(m): 5:25pm On Oct 01, 2014
Samotobor1: Hello house,am a corper n i intend to start the novelle UK HSE level 1-3 course soon,pls shud i continue or enrol wit ISPON

I did mine with them while serving in Uyo. They are good and my elder brother who now works with frontoil with the certificate did with them too and recommended them to me and 2 of my friends.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by pinc: 6:27pm On Oct 01, 2014
@ Allwility
please help me with Nebosh diploma materials if you have
pincypon@yahoo.com
I ll really appreciate.
thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 6:27pm On Oct 01, 2014
Please it will be wonderful if we can post Hse jobs for freshers on this forum...if u have years of safety experience please mentor the freshers here..even if it is posting volunteer positions on here it will be very good or u hv work load in ur office that u need help with or hse vacancies pls don't hestitate to post here

Let's help ourselves out.

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by osenzo(m): 9:50am On Oct 02, 2014
Allwility:

Hello, pls I would also need the materials.

Am a corper, serving in Abuja. I have keen interest in HSE and I studied industrial chemistry but have fallen in love with environmental chemistry.

Pls can someone help me with an address in Abuja where I can train in ISPON or NEBOSH

Here's my email osasamuel@gmail.com. Pls send it asap
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Samotobor1(m): 12:15pm On Oct 02, 2014
Bearshare:

I did mine with them while serving in Uyo. They are good and my elder brother who now works with frontoil with the certificate did with them too and recommended them to me and 2 of my friends.
Tanx bro..i appreciate
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2014
@Pinc,
I do not have materials on NEBOSH diploma.
zeongeon:
Please it will be wonderful if we can post Hse jobs for freshers on this forum...if u have years of safety experience please mentor the freshers here..even if it is posting volunteer positions on here it will be very good or u hv work load in ur office that u need help with or hse vacancies pls don't hestitate to post here

Let's help ourselves out.

Like I said in my earlier posts, people new to HSE should find an area they are passionate about and specialize or develop their skills in it. It could be Risk management, maritime safety, construction safety, environmental management etc. Whatever rocks your boat!!
As for volunteer jobs, I bet there's a lot of it out there!
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dgaffer(m): 7:41am On Oct 03, 2014
Please, I love this SHE course and I wil be graduating this year by november bt my school can't assure our set Service by Feb. Pls friend, I will like 2 engage in the Program by Jan or Feb nxt year bt don't knw how much it wil cost me shal.Howevr, I am studying Building Technology Education, pls any info may be directed to my email,....... Raphaelkanayo@gmail.com, thanks in a million
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by fibial: 4:27pm On Oct 04, 2014
al u nid do s go 2 any ispon ofice n mke enquiry abt membership...der ve dif categories lyk,fellow,member,student etc...u wld b tld d amount 2 pay,den given a topic 2 choose frm deir list of project topics,den a set date wld b given for test...ur score determines ur category of membership....wat I was tld @ dm office fellas
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by izzychap: 6:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
Dear All,
What is the standard rate for providing HSE Advice and Support Services for a company. I have been asked by a company to prepare documentations for an upcoming Nipex Inspection and also to represent the company as an HSE personnel during the Inspection.

I will like to know if there is any industry-standard rate (quotation) for such consulting job?

Izzy
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by EKPETI(m): 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2014
Hi safety professionals, I studied Banking and finance and I hv HSE2&3. I am planning to write NEBOSH next year. Pls I need advice whether as a banking and finance major, will it affect me becoming a professional safety officer? Secondly, pls I will need materiaals on Nebosh.

This is my email fekpeti@yahoo.com

God bless u for ur advices.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by harlyon(m): 6:08am On Oct 05, 2014
akokite:
can you please tell us where and how to locate such jobs .my first degree is biochemistry and I noticed that all the adverts I see in the papers are for those with engineering first degrees
its not really easy except u have somebody you know inside
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 12:47am On Oct 06, 2014
Allwility:
@Pinc,

Like I said in my earlier posts, people new to HSE should find an area they are passionate about and specialize or develop their skills in it. It could be Risk management, maritime safety, construction safety, environmental management etc. Whatever rocks your boat!!
Then liSt where d volunteer job are if u know any

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 06, 2014
Allwility:
@Pinc,

please can u send me materials for NEBOSH international technical certificate in oil and gas and NEBOSH igc pleas. Here's my email solomon_nnamdi@yahoo.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2014
zeongeon:
Then liSt where d volunteer job are if u know any

Walk up to any construction yard and tell them you'd like to volunteer as a safety officer. It might sound like a silly idea but then it works.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Etfash(m): 8:22pm On Oct 06, 2014
Allwility:

Walk up to any construction yard and tell them you'd like to volunteer as a safety officer. It might sound like a silly idea but then it works.

As long as it's a volunteer job; it will most definitely work.
Good job Allwility!

But can we start posting some advertized QHSSE openings in our offices or that we read/hear about on this thread?

Maybe I should go first. Phillips Consulting is seeking for HSE manager in Abuja. 6-8 years experience thereabout is needed. Just visit their website, click on vacancies..... You are there. Sorry I am a little lazy to go search for the link and paste here now. I might just still do that.

So please, let's start posting...
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by agabusta: 3:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
Diageo vacancy (Guinness Nigeria)

External Job Title
Demand Safety Manager
AutoReqId
43582BR
Function
Sales
Type of Job
Full Time - Exempt
Country
Nigeria
External Job Description
Level: Level 5 (M1)

Reports To: Sales Director / Commercial Development Director

Context/Scope:
To protect People, brands and the reputation of the Diageo Africa Business, processes must operate effectively and efficiently to ensure adherence to legislation, Diageo’s policies and the Diageo Global Risk Management Standards. This is in order to satisfy Diageo’s governance requirements of its operating units.
Diageo has established a requirement to provide operational risk management support across its Demand locations in Africa.

Dimensions:

Financial
This role impacts on sales volumes in supply centres delivering Net Sales Volume through driving risk management standards and improvement across the Nigeria Demand offices. The role holder will drive the roll out of risk management standards across the Demand locations in Nigeria.

Market Complexity
The role operates in multiple locations across Nigeria, as well as interacting at a regional and global level with Safety leadership teams and functions. The role includes ensuring compliance with diverse regulatory systems and setting and adapting standards as needed.

Leadership Responsibilities

Lead and Support the Safety activities across Nigeria’s Demand business to ensure they embed and sustain a culture of Compliance to all the Diageo Risk management standards including legal compliance.
Lead Safety management initiatives through the Demand leadership teams to ensure they are entrenched across all locations.
Embed Diageo Standards in all Demand locations in Nigeria, including training required at the locations
Qualifications and Experience Required

Proven track record in Safety management
NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) Certificate level in Health & Safety or equivalent
Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Influencing without authority
Change management skills
Barriers to Success in Role

Inability to prioritise, plan, manage and delegate the workload.
Failure to convince key stakeholders to prioritise the risk management agenda
Insufficient drive and resilience to achieve desired results
Flexible Working options
The position requires a considerable amount of business travel. Therefore the incumbent needs to manage the role effectively from a variety of locations.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/mobile/selectresume.aspx?SID=^CV3vzbU1g82m/NoJyqjJi/to1Y9zQGaN9O5YHPVFOYy/e5QhjLDFssQcijo7MvSX&src=fap

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Greatken007(m): 6:06pm On Oct 07, 2014
SAFETY.....NOT FIRST BUT ALWAYS...Don't just stop at the levels in HSE but strive to becoming a member....How i wish we can always come here to ask safety questions and get d right answers....Not questions like pls who can send me NIBOSH materials but real life safety questions like How to carry out facility Audit...How to Design company JHA(Job Hazard Analysis)....how to calculate MAN-HOUR... Accident severity Rate....Accident Frequency Rate....Too many things to discus here but none seems to come up...ISPON National Conference Loading........... Presidential Hotel PH..... Any member here.... How preparation? Since everyone have become a graduate and competing with the few available jobs, what are you doing to differentiate urself from them

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Etfash(m): 10:09am On Oct 10, 2014
To avoid the crime of plagiarism, I have opted to paste this link here. It is a position for an HSE officer.. The pay is 100k.... it is for those with Science or Engineering background.... 4 years experience in construction or related field is also required.

The link is https://www.nairaland.com/1941870/vacancies-hse-officer-position.

I guess the suggestion made earlier by Allwility would pay after all.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by fibial: 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2014
nice 1 a greatken007,we shld do more practical tlkin here,as for d conference I fink 30-35k for members den 50k for non- members....hope 2 atend if less busy den....HSE s al abt daily developmnt peeps.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by pinc: 9:11am On Oct 11, 2014
please can anyone help me with Nebosh Diploma materials.
my email is pincypon@yahoo.com.
I will really appreciate.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by staggerman(m): 9:19am On Oct 11, 2014
Time for safety discussions and lessons.

Question 1: In what ways can a person be injured by vehicle related accidents at work?

Question 2: Mention ways of controlling the risk of vehicle related accidents in the work place.

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72