Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? (2163 Views)

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Prince Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi: Things You Don't Know About The New Ooni Of Ife / You Don't Look African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by Ifygurl: 9:09am On Nov 01, 2008
How many of ya'll have gotten that "You don't look african" saying?
What's your opinion in it.

When i first came to America; I had many AA and Jamaicians saying that but mostly AA's.
I had many ask me if one of my parents are AA, Jamaician, Carribbean, etc? As if there's something wrong with having two Nigerian parents
One of my friend even had to audacity to tell me that i'm AA but i'm embrasshed to call myself one(what will i be embrasshed of)?
Another told me to claim Jamaician; no Nigerian(that's it's less confusing that way)
I love black people but i don't have to call myself something else just to go with people's idea of what this specific group of black people are suppose to look like
I've asked what they believe Africans are suppose to look like and the answer is Alek Wek(don't know why her name is always the one they mention). I'm still waiting for someone to say Oluchi or Agbani or Iman or Liya Keyede, hell i won't even mind if someone said Akon(seriously). I even tried to make myself look as African as i can be(I worn all the jewels that look african; i don't know how big the Naija/Nigerian logo in my shirt is).

How many of ya'll have gotten that saying? What you think of it?
Re: You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by ikeyman00(m): 9:38am On Nov 01, 2008
let me tell u something. in the 90s it was hell here in Uk. the ignorance was that bad. dnt know about the AA, there was serious intense hatery towards africans. i saw african school kid got beaten up hmmm just because he is an african. the jamaicans were so high on that.

the nigerians were chief target course they know we take no shit. when they see nice dress nigerian, they like u wana be jamaican hhahha, k. u hang with them, they like u are begging them for friendship, k. u loook tough, they like hes an african pussiooo ha k.

when they see nice nigerian them times, they anrgy, they wana thief u, oh u dnt look nigerian, really, k u should look like Chris Ubank oh k.

jamaican girl

why u hate me so much, hmmm nice undercover der. i still love u, u know, dnt get the wrong impression. i got lots for jamaican friends in the street but few close friend to step to my house.

however understand me, we are true born naija ooooooo ha
Re: You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by OrumbaS89(f): 5:34pm On Nov 01, 2008
Every time I hear something of that light, I want to take a glock and smack that person in the face. Is that wrong?
Re: You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by iice(f): 3:57pm On Nov 02, 2008
LMAO! I just smile and say yeah i've heard that.
People don't always look like what people assume them to look like.
Re: You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by IFeoma: 8:27am On Nov 08, 2008
I think it's people being ignorant as always  undecided
Re: You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by myndofgold(f): 9:40am On Nov 08, 2008
It doesnt bother me, maybe cos i hear it more often than normal, plus the tattoos and piercings make it worse, some pple dont believe me till I speak Yoruba. It's kinda fun to hear pple talk shiiit about u b4 they realize tht u both speak the same language.
Re: You Don't Look African? What's Do You Think Of It? by JamaicanQT(f): 12:20pm On Nov 08, 2008
i've seen this exact comment over in "What do you really think about AA"
why do people start post like this undecided undecided undecided same thing over and over again,  posts like this usually cause problems on the board

(1) (Reply)

I Wanna Know More About Jamaican Culture / Benue Youth Cultural Carnival With Pics / 10 Most Beautiful Destinations To Visit In Nigeria. Which of them is your best?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.