Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,827 members, 7,802,645 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC (5238 Views)

Senator Asonya-Adokwe Faces Sack For Faking Certificates / Bayelsa Guber: Alaibe Makes Last-minute Move To Defect To PDP / Suswam’s Deputy, Lawani, Aondoakaa , Others Set To Defect To APC In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Dclique(m): 7:34pm On Sep 15, 2014
PDP, presidency shop for Tambuwal’s successor

Adeola-Akande, Farouk Lawan being considered

As PDP shops for speaker’s replacement

House of Representatives Speaker, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, may soon lose his position in the legislature over his bid to defect from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC) to contest the Sokoto State governorship in 2015. The presidency and the PDP leadership are discreetly pushing for his removal as soon as he defects to the APC.

Although Tambuwal still professes his membership of PDP on whose platform he was elected to the House in 2011, he has for a long time been absent from major party events, including a meeting of the North- West chapter of PDP in Kaduna about two weeks ago, where they endorsed President Goodluck Jonathan for second term. Tambuwal, who arrived in Nigeria yesterday from an overseas trip, is expected to defect to the APC by October.

However, New Telegraph learnt yesterday that the clock for Tambuwal’s leadership of the House would begin to tick from tomorrow when the legislature resumes plenary after a long recess. A source told New Telegraph that both the presidency and the PDP were already plotting on how to oust Tambuwal from office. According to a member of the PDP National Working Committee (NWC), the moment Tambuwal leaves the party, they will move against him.

“We cannot have an APC speaker in the House. So, the PDP must move to remove him the moment he makes that declaration,” he said. On whether the party will approach the court for Tambuwal’s removal, an aide of President Goodluck Jonathan said there was no basis for that. “The PDP does not need to go to court in removing him; going to court is for the weakling. The PDP will use the power and politics of the House to remove him the moment he defects to the APC.

“To remove him, you just need a simple majority. You need a simple majority to win and you need a simple majority to remove him,” the source said. He added that should Tambuwal be removed, the speakership would move to the South-West, where the position was originally zoned to in 2011 under the PDP zoning policy.

However, contrary to the party’s zoning policy, which had conceded the House speakership to the South-West and Hon. Mulikat Akande-Adeola tipped to emerge as occupant of the post, some renegade PDP members, with support from APC lawmakers, had executed a coup that produced Tambuwal, from the North- West as speaker and Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, from the South-East, emerged as his deputy, a post hitherto zoned to the North-East.

“Tambuwal ascension was just a revolt in the House, but by zoning, our speaker is still Hon. Mulikat,” an aide of the president said. Another source said the party would explore two options in removing Tambuwal: to use the lawmakers to impeach him or through the court. It was learnt that the first option being considered is the impeachment process. “What we will do is to ensure that PDP lawmakers with those in the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) and Labour Party (LP) remove Speaker Tambuwal through a simple majority. This may be tough, but this is the first legitimate option,” the source said.

The second option will be through the court with the PDP getting a declarative judgment from the court to oust Tambuwal from office on the grounds that he has defected to another political platform.

The source said armed with the declarative judgment, the security details attached to Tambuwal would be withdrawn before the court order could be vacated. Also, soldiers would be ordered to seal off the speaker’s office to deny Tambuwal access.

It was learnt that the planned resort to court was because of the fear that the PDP and presidency might not be able to muster enough lawmakers to remove the speaker, who enjoys tremendous support from his colleagues. However, as the plot against Tambuwal intensifies, the PDP has pencilled in some lawmakers as his replacement. Among those being considered is Akande-Adeola (PDP, Oyo) and Hon. Muraina Ajibola (PDP, Oyo). Others are Farouk Lawan (PDP, Kano), Bashir Adamu (PDP, Jigawa), Safiyanu Ubale (PDP, Jigawa), Umar Bature (PDP, Sokoto), Bello Matawalle (PDP, Zamfara) and Gambo Musa (PDP, Katsina), all from the North-West geopolitical zone.

There is, however, a division among the arrowheads of the plot as to where Tambuwal’s successor should come from. Some are advocating a return to the original zoning arrangement which favours the South- West while others have argued that the speakership should remain in the North-West. Those against the zoning arrangement feels that in the event that Tambuwal is removed, Ihedioha, is bound to lose his seat, should the next speaker be from the South-West, and both cannot come from the south.

However, should the South-West gets the speakership, the deputy speaker is likely going to be zoned to the North-East. The 7th edition of the House Rules, which is currently in use, did not specify that the party with majority in the House shall produce the speaker. It is incredibly silent on the impeachment or resignation or removal of the speaker or deputy speaker.

Order 2 Rule 4 (a-e) deals with the election of speaker. Curiously, the Standing orders of the House talks about vacancy but did not define how the vacancy will come about: whether by death, resignation or impeachment. It just stated that in case of vacancy and this is captured in Order 2 Rule 9 which states that: “whenever a vacancy occurs in the office of the speaker or deputy speaker, the clerk shall report same to the House at each next session of the House and the House shall either forthwith or in the next session proceed in the manner herein prescribed…”

But it was learnt that Tambuwal was aware of the plot against him by the PDP and the presidency and he had his game plan to thwart their moves. He is said to be mobilising his colleagues, especially those in the opposition and his loyalists in the PDP.

A principal officer who spoke to New Telegraph on condition of anonymity said even if Tambuwal defects to the APC, he will remain as speaker.

According to him, any member of the House is eligible for the position of speaker and that it is left for the members who decide who becomes their leader. According to him, He added that the speakership is not a party position and so the issue of majority or minority party does not count.

At the height of the defection of PDP members to the APC and attempt by the opposition party to change some positions in the leadership, they had carved out speaker’s position as untouchable.

House deputy spokesman, Hon. Victor Ogene, as well as the Minority Leader, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, had submitted that Tambuwal would not be affected even if the APC controls majority in the House and Tambuwal stays put in PDP. According to them, the constitution takes precedence over the House Standing Rules.

Most importantly, Tambuwal has a large followership among the members and this explains the manner he became speaker. A member of the House from Sokoto who is a close associate of Tambuwal said the speaker would contest the Sokoto governorship. The lawmaker said Sokoto State Governor, Alhaji Aliyu Wamakko, who had defected from PDP to APC, was favourably disposed to handing over to Tambuwal.

The lawmaker said: “There was a time we travelled to Sokoto with the speaker for the inuguration of projects. As we were waiting, the governor arrived and asked, ‘where is Aminu? That is Speaker Tambuwal. When the speaker came forward, the governor held his hand and told him in Hausa, you have to be learning how to do this now (that is cutting tapes to inaugurate projects).”

On why Tambuwal has not defected to APC if when it is widely known that he is only a PDP member in name alone, the source said the speaker was only waiting for the right time to do so. “We (Sokoto) are now an APC state and the speaker cannot afford to run for any office under PDP. Besides, our governor and Tambuwal have come a long way and they have a cordial relationship. I can assure you, Tambuwal will contest for governor and he will win,” he added. But another staunch supporter of Tambuwal told New Telegraph that the speaker would vie for the presidency on the platform of the APC. He said Tambuwal had already secured a campaign office in the Maitama District of Abuja. “If he wants to contest for governorship, why would he open an office in Abuja?

I am telling you he has secured an office space somewhere in Maitama and that office may be open soon,” he stated. Reacting to the underground moves against the speaker, his Special Adviser on Media, Imam Imam, said the speaker remained a PDP member and was consulting on his political future. “I will only say that as a rule, we don’t comment on things that are speculation.

On what happens to his seat in the event he defects to APC, let us not jump the gun. “The speaker has made it clear that he is consulting with various stakeholders on his political future. Let us wait for the outcome of the consultations before commenting. As things are presently we cannot say for sure what the outcome of the consultations will be. Until then, let us stick with what we know, which is, he’s a member of the PDP and is consulting on his political future,” he stated.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/tambuwal-faces-sack/
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by leshluap(m): 8:30pm On Sep 15, 2014
Mak I eat finish com read am agn..

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by johnmartus(m): 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2014
never bother to read this funcking shit

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
Still thinking of how he can be removed. The constitution is silent on this aspect.
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 9:06pm On Sep 15, 2014
GEJ should just put a SWerner there, most likely an Ekiti or Oyo man and he has the SW.

Tinubu is a betrayer and a traitor to Yorubas

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 9:09pm On Sep 15, 2014
tokunboh: Still thinking of how he can be removed. The constitution is silent on this aspect.

Not really, he can be voted out or replaced as a new term is coming
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem:

As it stands, the PDP cannot muster two-thirds of house of reps members needed to impeach the son of a gun.

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 9:22pm On Sep 15, 2014
tokunboh:

As it stands, the PDP cannot muster two-thirds of house of reps members needed to impeach the son of a gun.

Maybe but in Nigeria deflections can still happen. wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem:

Maybe but in Nigeria deflections can still happen. wink
What am I seeing ? Nnah, when did you port ? Welcome to the light.

6 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by kokoA(m): 9:44pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem: GEJ should just put a SWerner there, most likely an Ekiti or Oyo man and he has the SW.

mumu.. Spearkership na federal appointment wey GEJ go "just put" a SWesterner? Wetin concern GEJ with who house members choose?

5 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by LFJ: 9:45pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem:

If it is that easy to remove him, do you think he will still be in that position? I hope your sudden hatred for APC will allow you to think straight again.

7 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem: GEJ should just put a SWerner there, most likely an Ekiti or Oyo man and he has the SW.

Your foolishness has no Part 2.......You think GEJ can hoodwink SW with a useless position in lieu of Good Governance.......So in your warped thinking,if a SW become the Speaker,it automatically means GEJ's sins of hobnobbing with criminals and looters will be washed away?

Pray,what did you specifically benefit as dividend of democracy when Dimeji Bankole and Patricia Olubunmi-Etteh were Speakers just few years ago

SWners are not 'omo gba je n simi'( just give him something to appease him)....................Even if the President is from us,if he doesn't perform.....we will call him out

6 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by EdCure: 10:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
We have been hearing that he faces sack from day 1.

Boko Haram faces sack

Even Jonadumb faces sack. grin

4 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 10:08pm On Sep 15, 2014
LFJ:

If it is that easy to remove him, do you think he will still be in that position? I hope your sudden hatred for APC will allow you to think straight again.

Hatred for APC. Yes

APC stands for corruption

APC stands for godfatherism

APC is anti-democratic

APC is elitist

So yes I hate APC.

3 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 10:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
beopened:

Your foolishness has no Part 2.......You think GEJ can hoodwink SW with a useless position in lieu of Good Governance.......So in your warped thinking,if a SW become the Speaker,it automatically means GEJ's sins of hobnobbing with criminals and looters will be washed away?

Pray,what did you specifically benefit as dividend of democracy when Dimeji Bankole and Patricia Olubunmi-Etteh were Speakers just few years ago

SWners are not 'omo gba je n simi'( just give him something to appease him)....................Even if the President is from us,if he doesn't perform.....we will call him out

So you agree SW is not like that so why do you allow Tinuibu to trade you for a piece of porrdge.

Is the SW or Yorubas souls just worth 5 billion Naira for one man.

I think you need a cure to you thinking.

5 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by MisterLongman(m): 10:13pm On Sep 15, 2014
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by MisterLongman(m): 10:13pm On Sep 15, 2014
I've always said it that Tambuwal is a green snake under the green grass...... He is so unpredictable..... His anti-party activities dates back to 2011...... He has always been a liability to pdp

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by argon500: 10:15pm On Sep 15, 2014
Did I just read Farouk Lawan among the successor? PDP is a joker

1 Like

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by EdCure: 10:21pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem:

Hatred for APC. Yes

APC stands for corruption

APC stands for godfatherism

APC is anti-democratic

APC is elitist

So yes I hate APC.

And what were you told in your TAN gathering of moröns that PDP stands for?

8 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by EdCure: 10:26pm On Sep 15, 2014
argon500: Did I just read Farouk Lawan among the successor? PDP is a joker
Thats what it takes to be the perfect candidate and nominee from PDP. Just have a corruption or murder case handging on your neck, and you're good to go.

4 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by MisterLongman(m): 10:29pm On Sep 15, 2014
beopened:

The same southwest has been complaining of Gej marginalising their region in the scheme of things at the federal level caused by Tinubu/lamidi adesina's treachery back in 2011.... Recently the alaafin still accused jonathan of the same crime caused by tinubu selling the rights to an hausa...... Am a Southwesterner and I love but I don't support tinubu kowtowing to this hausa people, which is a disgrace to yorubas.... He sold the rights to the speakership position to an hausa man in 2011. The same zoning he criticised pdp for in 2007 is the same path he is taking.... I don't support allocating the presidential slot of APC to the northern region alone, they are not the only one born to rule

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 10:35pm On Sep 15, 2014
EdCure:
And what were you told in your TAN gathering of moröns that PDP stands for?

U#You must be craze if you think you TAN money can buy my conscience.

Propaganda is what APC is known for. It just takes a silent mind to see through their gimmick

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by ifaoni(m): 10:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
good for him
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by mistudreh(m): 10:38pm On Sep 15, 2014

Can you pls tell us the achievements of the SWerners that have been the speaker of the house?
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
mistudreh:
Can you pls tell us the achievements of the SWerners that have been the speaker of the house?

So tell us the acheievement of Gbajamila the deputy Minority leader then of APC.

You see hypocrisy.

Until you let me know then I will do the same

You APC yoruba supporters are traitor to Oduduwas FACT !!!!

Quote me anywhere. !

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by ionsman: 10:48pm On Sep 15, 2014
kokoA: mumu.. Spearkership na federal appointment wey GEJ go "just put" a SWesterner? Wetin concern GEJ with who house members choose?
My brother the matter tire me some people sha.
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by mistudreh(m): 10:49pm On Sep 15, 2014
aljharem:

So tell us the acheievement of Gbajamila the deputy Minority leader then of APC.

You see hypocrisy.

Until you let me know then I will do the same

You APC yoruba supporters are traitor to Oduduwas FACT !!!!

Quote me anywhere. !
Being a minority leader of the house is not the reason he was voted to represent his constituency. Be a member of the house and the house committee to which he belongs are the criteria for you to jugde his performance.
If you really have something meaningful to say, you wouldn't have replied me with a question.
I repeat, what were the achievements of Dimeji Bankole and Olubunmi Etteh as the speaker of the house

2 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by modhream: 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2014
tokunboh: Still thinking of how he can be removed. The constitution is silent on this aspect.
The Constitution is quite clear on how the Senate President or the Speaker of the House can be removed from office.Section 50(2) states:
2) The President or Deputy
President of the Senate or the
Speaker or Deputy Speaker of
the House of Representatives
shall vacate his office -
(a) if he ceases to be a
member of the Senate or of
the House of Representatives,
as the case may be, otherwise
than by reason of a
dissolution of the Senate or
the House of Representatives;
or
(b) when the House of which
he was a member first sits
after any dissolution of that
House; or
(c) if he is removed from
office by a resolution of the
Senate or of the House of
Representatives, as the case
may be, by the votes of not
less than two-thirds majority
of the members of that
House.
Can't get any clearer than that.Quite doubt the report n the source,PDP can't be that foolish playing a game of numbers they don't have.

4 Likes

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Daguccizgreat(m): 10:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
Allowing an Apc speaker in the house of rep is totally unacceptably...gej play ur game weLl
Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
MisterLongman: The same southwest has been complaining of Gej marginalising their region in the scheme of things at the federal level caused by Tinubu/lamidi adesina's treachery back in 2011.... Recently the alaafin still accused jonathan of the same crime caused by tinubu selling the rights to an hausa...... Am a Southwesterner and I love but I don't support tinubu kowtowing to this hausa people, which is a disgrace to yorubas.... He sold the rights to the speakership position to an hausa man in 2011. The same zoning he criticised pdp for in 2007 is the same path he is taking.... I don't support allocating the presidential slot of APC to the northern region alone, they are not the only one born to rule

Once again i submit that some of you should check the validity of the certificates you carry

For starters,the useless zoning of the Speakership to the SW is an entirely PDP affair which is not binding on other parties let alone ACN( as it then was)

Now i ask again,what can you a yoruba man boast your chest you derived in terms of good governance when Dimeji and Olubunmi Etteh were there?

Other parties are not bound by PDP political permutations hence if Tinubu used a master-stroke of political sagacity to emasculate PDP in the SW by ensuring that none of their persons have any foothold there......we should be open-minded enough to commend him

I hope you are not so politically unlettered like those who often assume that because someone from a tribe is appointed into a position then that means the ethnic group has been taken care of,as if Dimeji Bankole shared with you the proceed of the inflated contract he was alleged with by Barr Festus Keyamo or Olubunmi Etteh from Osun State empowered the Yorubas from the proceed of the allegation which was impeached over

People like you are what is known as Political Jembelist or Tokenist who have a low personality disorder to think if a SW is elected a Speaker then that mean whatever good governance we should have expected is met

What Tinubu did then had a futuristic connotation in the sense that when a Yoruba man( i wish i dont have to postulate from a tribal point of view) wants to take a shot at the Presidency again.......The North will be favourably disposed to such owing to the fact that Tinubu by that action has masterfully disabused the minds of the Hausas against the Yorubas whom have always been their staunchest political enemies

It is the new political alliance that is presently the envy of our brother from the other side of the Niger,who in derision label such as servitude

The fact is that no one gets anywhere politically by creating enemies for himself like some folks we all know....you do so via alliances,bridge building and a combination of political chess moves which are often not visible to the lay men like you

As Nigeria is presently constituted,no ethnic group or region can produce the Presidency of this nation alone without being in alliance with one of the other big two( Igbos and/or Hausas) including the less/small populous ethnic groups.............

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by aljharem(m): 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
mistudreh:
Being a minority leader of the house is not the reason he was voted to represent his constituency. Be a member of the house and the house committee to which he belongs are the criteria for you to jugde his performance.
If you really have something meaningful to say, you wouldn't have replied me with a question.
I repeat, what were the achievements of Dimeji Bankole and Olubunmi Etteh as the speaker of the house

Ok so highlight his performance since you are painting a picture here where only you can tell us.

Highlight what Gbajamiamila is doing right now

even your oga Tinubu when he was part of the legislative body of the senate, what did he do.

I don't think some of you use your brain before posting because if you do, you will know that an executive position (power) is very different from legislative in such a way that it is only by collective interest that one can feel their impact.

Currently at the upper house, the only impact and noise we hear is how to impeach GEJ and take over power like hyenas rather than how to make the lives of Nigerians better.

So current tell us what Oluremi Tinubu, Mr Ojo (son-inlaw to Tinubu), Abike dabiri and co are doing to make the life of any average Nigeria or better still Lagosian better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tambuwal Faces Sack Over Bid To Defect To APC by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
beopened:

do u think gej gives a damm about da west over this? how many westerners do u see on da list of potential picks? da pdp is only gonna ensure that da needful is done to that rogue's arsse,tambowhatever when he ports his godforsaken arsse to da janjaweeed hyenas pack which is normal n constitutional. that actiom oughtta bn taken long ago cos that mole n rebel of a speaker has been romancing with da opposition n undermining subtlely,da plans n efforts of da president n pdp. now u roping da deputy speaker into this as if u re now suddenly aware about da zoning rules n patterns..just clap4urself..
God bless da right thinking westerners..and God punish those westerners who are ever ready to sell away their father's land n house for nought n who think widda goddamm balls..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pdp Women Campaigned Against Jonathan In Osun Presidential Rally (picture) / Faithill Prophetic Assembly Prophecies. About Buhari's Tenure / Breaking: Senate Sonfirm Onoghen As CJN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.