Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,098 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:52 AM

Car Rough Start - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Rough Start (2206 Views)

Best Budget Car For Rough Terrains / My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads / My Car Is Rough Idling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Rough Start by bimbor(m): 12:32am On Sep 16, 2014
When I start my car in the morning it sometimes revs initially at 2000rpm and then gradually begins to decrease slowly until it reaches 1000rpm and stabilizes. When I engage the gear into "Drive" the rpm now drops to between 700-800rpm. But that initial start up 2000rpm always sounds too harsh for me.

My questions:
For initial start of 2000rpm, is that not too high? I know the rpm should be high at start up but not as high as 2000rpm. So my question is that "what could be the explanation for this very high start up rpm? Is it normal?
Or is it a factor of the engine oil used?
But then I was using conventional engine oil (Mobil XHP) for my previous car and I didn't notice such thing although that was Honda.

My present car is a Toyota Camry. Is this normal with Camrys? Helpful explanations will be highly appreciated please.

Thank you.
Re: Car Rough Start by mayor2013: 2:31am On Sep 16, 2014
Pls give state full details of your car. Even after that. Go run a comprehensive scan on your car first. A fault code would be given to you. Irrespective of if you are made to comprehend those fault codes or not post fault codes here.
Re: Car Rough Start by omicron(m): 6:32am On Sep 16, 2014
Does the car vibrate at start up, or just the rev of 2k that comes down to 1k and then 750 - 800 after engaging drive?

Is this a new occurrence or has it always been like this?

Any CEL on?

Does it still start at 2k even after several minutes of continous driving and engine is at highest normal temperature?

If the answer is yes for the first question and no for the others, it is normal, and the initial upsurge in the rev will vary inversely with the ambient temperature, or engine temperature to be precise.
Re: Car Rough Start by bimbor(m): 6:56am On Sep 16, 2014
mayor2013: Pls give state full details of your car.

My Car is "2008 Toyota Camry XLE with the 2AZFE Engine.

omicron: Does the car vibrate at start up, or just the rev of 2k that comes down to 1k and then 750 - 800 after engaging drive?

No, the car does not vibrate at start up

omicron: Any CEL on?

Yes, the CEL is on now.

omicron: Does it still start at 2k even after several minutes of continous driving and engine is at highest normal temperature?

No, after I've driven some distance and the engine warms up to optimal temperature it doesn't start at such high rpm, usually after the engine heats up, the start up rpm is around 1200rpm and then drops immediately to 1000. The harsh rpm only occurs with cold start when engine temperature is at zero.
Re: Car Rough Start by omicron(m): 7:01am On Sep 16, 2014
bimbor:

Yes, the CEL is on now.

No, after I've driven some distance and the engine warms up to optimal temperature it doesn't start at such high rpm, usually after the engine heats up, the start up rpm is around 1200rpm and then drops immediately to 1000. The harsh rpm only occurs with cold start when engine temperature is at zero.

You should do a diagnostic scan then to diagnose the cause of the CEL being on.

It is still possible that the rev pattern is unconnected with the CEL being on, cos I know cars whose pattern of start up rev is that way without any problems.
Re: Car Rough Start by autofixng: 7:13am On Sep 16, 2014
bimbor:
Yes, the CEL is on now.
omicron: You should do a diagnostic scan then to diagnose the cause of the CEL being on.
It is still possible that the rev pattern is unconnected with the CEL being on, cos I know cars whose pattern of start up rev is that way without any problems.

Yes you need to run a scan on the car and also avoid guess work on it.

Check our signature for contact.
Re: Car Rough Start by chukel(m): 10:57am On Sep 16, 2014
Bimbor, though u need to scan ur ride, d cold start phenomenon is normal. My 07 camry revs like dat during cold start though not more than 1500rpm. 06 avalon, same too. That's the engines intrinsic way of getting warmed up to the optimal temperature of 82/84 degrees celcius. I noticed too that wen d oil needs changing, it revs more. Can't explain y. During ur scan check to make sure ur engine temperature corresponds with ur coolant temperature. The rev is a function of feedback of CTS I guess. I stand to be corrected. Note that during normal use in d day wen engine is warmed up, it starts at normal RPM. But scan d car. Too young to have check engine. Its not up to 2 months baa? All d best
Re: Car Rough Start by talk2odim: 11:09am On Sep 16, 2014
hello guyz, i seem to have the same issue with my 2009 camry le. The only difference is that mine revs up to almost 2000 rpm each time i start it. and usually vibrates when it has dropped to 700 rpm. My plugs are new (just 3 days old) and the recommended Denso iridium sk20r11 plugs. i scanned the car and it threw up a P0560 error code. Which i am not sure has anything to do with dat. I just want to know if this is normal too.
Re: Car Rough Start by bimbor(m): 1:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
chukel: Bimbor, though u need to scan ur ride, d cold start phenomenon is normal. My 07 camry revs like dat during cold start though not more than 1500rpm. 06 avalon, same too. That's the engines intrinsic way of getting warmed up to the optimal temperature of 82/84 degrees celcius. I noticed too that wen d oil needs changing, it revs more. Can't explain y. During ur scan check to make sure ur engine temperature corresponds with ur coolant temperature. The rev is a function of feedback of CTS I guess. I stand to be corrected. Note that during normal use in d day wen engine is warmed up, it starts at normal RPM. But scan d car. Too young to have check engine. Its not up to 2 months baa? All d best

Chukel thanks. I will do the needful. I'm trying to acquire my own personal scanning tool sef. It is bound to happen because cars are mechanical machines that undergo daily wear and tear. That is where proper maintenance matters. Remember it is a used car not brand new.

Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Service Your Car The Owners Manual Way / Warning: List Of Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle -the Federal Road Safety / Fully Air Conditioned Keke Napep Made In Anambra, Available For Sale In Market.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.