Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,876 members, 7,806,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 (1579 Views)

How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 3 / How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by mayorlan(m): 12:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
This is the second part of my story of my dream job in just two weeks as well as my useful tips, advices and strategies to help you land the job of your dream in just a short time without wasting time, energy and money again.

If you miss part one of this post, then you can read it at How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learn 1 at https://www.nairaland.com/1903613/how-got-job-just-two

Here we go...

I stopped in the last post where I said that I decided to find a better way of finding a job without going through everything my mates that has started their job hunting way before I decided to go get a job.

Before this, I’ve been an online addicts and i consumed a lot of information online via books, blog posts, YouTube videos and audio podcast like the one I produced weekly – Your Career And You Show at http://www.youracareerandyou.com/category/podcast and one day i was re-reading Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and I just stumbled on the story of a woman who helped her son get a job as a sales VP at the company he like to work for and I was so surprised that after reading the book many time before that time, I never really noticed that page in the book but that simple story triggered a kind of utopia inside me and I just keep reading that page many times and later went online to search for the term “hidden job market” which was briefly mentioned in the story and that Google Search started my journey to what I will call today my wonderful job hunting stories.

Lesson To Learn 1:

One saying goes like this – “If you want to keep a secret from a black man, hide it inside a book”. This shows how many of us are just busy in life doing what we like without learning much from books and other source of knowledge and wisdom.

I’m not talking about the stupid and silly textbooks we read in school which are just pure useless for us in the real life we find ourselves now but useful books written by many who has took their time to compile all the know and their experience into a books, videos, podcasts, blog post and so on.

The foundation of my successful job hunting stories started from reading and re-reading a book that has been written and published many years before my father was even born and if you haven’t read Think And Grow Rich before or you haven’t re-read it again and again with notes taken down by you, then go now to the nearest bookstore to get a copy – it shouldn’t be more than a few hundred Naira.
So in essence, my first tips to take away from this threads is for you to cultivate the habit of finding, consuming and acting on information via books, videos, podcasts, blog post, forums and any other medium you can learn from.

I’m today vast in so many thing and you are right to call me a jack of all trade who is master of all – I’m a writer, blogger, audio and video podcaster, author, website programmer, social media and Internet Marketing expert and so on and not a single skill mentioned here was taught be someone – I learn everything through been curious about how to do things and finding the right information about what I want and trying it out according to what I’ve learned.

Cultivating this habit will help a lot not only with your career life but also in every area and aspects of your life.

What I Learn From Think And Grow Rich On How Best To Search For Jobs

Re-reading this book taught me a lot about how best to get a job.

But before I go on with what I learn to be the best way of searching for a job, let me mention some common ways that many job seeker are used to today to hunt for jobs and why they never works and why they are just a pure waste of time that has helped many job seekers today land inside that frustrating pit of despair of sitting at home without a job and even money to enjoy life.

1. Online Job Sites: Almost every job seeker in Nigeria today is used to the many job search sites that keep springing up today.
Infact, as a shrewd internet marketer and online entrepreneur, if I need quick cash and the ego that goes into having a popular website to call mine, creating a job search site will be a good use of my time and money and you can take a trip to Google and search for the term “Online job search sites in Nigeria” and watch the loads of website Google will return to you that is today dedicated to supplying job vacancies and openings online to job seekers.

Mind you, I’m not against any online job search site and to even say the truth, I’ve enjoyed working with the second most popular one in Nigeria – NgCareers.com when I was starting YouCareerAndYou.com and it’s a lovely partnership where I broadcast each episode of my online career and job search show – Your Career And You Show to their numerous subscribers but I must say that many job seekers are just wasting time responding to all the many jobs people keep posting on these sites.

Infact, I’ve once experimented with using these job search portals to get a job and after three months of intentionally devoting time to experiment with this, all I got back are loads of job interviews that later turn out to be a bogus job and many of them are even scams that will request me to pay for one thing or the other before I can get a job and the few that aren’t like this are just jobs that will pay me a measly monthly salary in exchange for taking over my time from 8 am to maybe 5 pm daily and I will rather sleep every day than to take up any of those silly jobs I was offered during the time of my experiment.

In short, only like 20% of the job posted on these websites is a good fit for you and out of these 20%, only like 10% are jobs that you can have any chances of getting because of stiff and serious competition for those jobs from other job seekers like you.

And before you apply for any job again using these sites, ask yourself the likely number of other job seekers who need that same jobs who will be reading that job posting at these highly trafficked websites with thousands of subscribers in their database just like you.

Sincerely, I hate competition and I will rather find a way to bypass competition with anyone for jobs than spending my time running after jobs that have thousands of other job seekers having their eyes on the job leaving me with the so called “luck” factor to be the one that gets the job.

Lesson To Learn 2:

One of the reasons why many are without a job today is the fact that they are unknowingly preparing themselves and packaging themselves for failure with their job hunting efforts with the way they are searching for job today.

As an illustration, let assume that I saw an advert on these job search sites for an IT job in a medium sized IT firm in Lagos. Let now guess the number of other job seekers who are seeing the same adverts – maybe 500,a thousand or 2000 to even be conservative. Now, let say we have 1000 other Computer Graduate who want the same job and will apply for it just like I will do as well. What will be the probability of me getting the job out of all those other 1000 IT graduates?

That’s simply 1/1000 or 0.0001 which to anyone who went through basic primary school is a very poor ratio to bet anything on or count on it for anything. The only one that will want to count on this silly low ratio to get a job is that one who really believe so much in luck which from experience is only a matter of doing the right thing at the right time so that you will be well prepared when the right moment or opportunity knocks.

With this silly ratio and chance of getting the job you want out of the pool of numerous other job seekers, many job seekers keep repeating this on and on and you shouldn’t be surprised why many job seekers who are reading this and doing this every day are still without a job.
In essence, the common way that many are using to search for jobs today are just a pure waste of time simply because of the sole reason that the competition resulting from this method is a great disadvantage on its own leaving many playing the lucky game of praying and waiting for a job after applying for those jobs together with thousands even millions of other job seekers (for those so called popular and lucrative job opening that everyone want to have).

Rather than playing this luck game and waiting for months and even years for the job god to smile at you and get you a job, every job seekers should go the better and smarter way of creating their own luck and be in control of the job hunting battle rather than giving all the control to employers who can decide to do as they like and choose anyone they want because the demand is just too way too much than the supply of the openings available.

During the course of this thread, you will learn this one smarter alternative to playing this luck game.
I’ve had this issue dealt with in past episodes of my weekly career and job search online show – Your Career And You Show and if you will like to learn more about why searching for jobs in this way is a pure waste of time and what you should do instead, you can download each episodes below.

Episode 13: Common Time Wasters Stopping You From Getting A Job – 3 : http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/13-common-time-wasters-stopping-you-from-getting-a-job-3

Episode 12: Common Time Wasters Stopping You From Getting A Job – 2 : http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/12-common-time-wasters-stopping-you-from-getting-a-job-2

Episode 11: Common Time Wasters Stopping You From Getting A Job : http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/11-common-time-wasters-stopping-you-from-getting-a-job

and

Q&A : How Can You Get The Right Type Of Job And Ways You Can Get It Fast : http://www.yourcareerandyou.com/how-can-you-get-the-right-type-of-job-and-ways-you-can-get-it-fast

This will be the second part of this post.

Join me again here for part three of the post..
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by aieromon(m): 12:22pm On Sep 16, 2014
Wow..... I know how this is gonna end.

Lemme grab my chair.
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by Immortalz(m): 12:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
@op: mind sharing your email?

.....every job seekers should go the better and smarter way of creating their own luck and be in control of the job hunting battle rather than giving all the control to employers who can decide to do as they like and choose anyone they want because the demand is just too way too much than the supply of the openings available......
How?

1 Like

Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by mayorlan(m): 11:40am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by mayorlan(m): 11:47am On Sep 17, 2014
Immortalz: @op: mind sharing your email?

.....every job seekers should go the better and smarter way of creating their own luck and be in control of the job hunting battle rather than giving all the control to employers who can decide to do as they like and choose anyone they want because the demand is just too way too much than the supply of the openings available......
How?

You can send me a PM. Too much knocks i guess might surface for posting my email here. But yoy can also reach me via my contact page on my blog
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by quincie(m): 8:19am On Sep 23, 2014
mayorlan:

You can send me a PM. Too much knocks i guess might surface for posting my email here. But yoy can also reach me via my contact page on my blog

Y even startin wat u can't finish? cry
Most disappointin Topic on NL...
Re: How I Got A Job In Just Two Weeks - My Story And Lessons Learned – Part 2 by mayorlan(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy Independence Day!

I'm so sorry to go virtually AWOL since posting part 3 here.

I just posted part 4 and you can find the link to it below

https://www.nairaland.com/1928433/how-got-job-just-two

(1) (Reply)

Expand Your Career Network, Enrol For Jarushub Networking Saturday / ACCA Study Text For Sale In Lagos / Nigerian Engineer Wins $500m Contract To Build Monorail Network In Iraq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.