Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

5 Must Have Mobile Apps For Job Seekers - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Must Have Mobile Apps For Job Seekers (721 Views)

In-sourcing, New Way Of Hiring Desperate Job Seekers / Why 85% Of Job Seekers Don't Get Job Interview Invitation/FREE CV Writing / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Must Have Mobile Apps For Job Seekers by Excelinpages(m): 12:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
Five Must Have Mobile Apps For Job Seekers
Hello fellow job seeker, how is your job hunt going. If you are like me, then you must have made some success, seen some low points and currently strategizing to land a dream job.
Job hunting took a new dimension due to the rapid growth of technology and the internet. Today jobs can be viewed on the phone or some mobile device. This trend coupled with the normal requirement for job hunting (CV writing, cover letter, interview etc) has brought some new challenges to job searchers.
A typical example of this is having to tailor make CV to fit each new role. The job hunter would now need to edit his/her CV to fulfil such requirement. Among the plethora of demands, the job seacher needs to be well armed to meet such challenges and others that may come.
He/she would need to equip himself with the right tools. I have outlined five of such tools every job seeker needs to have handy - on their phones.

1. Email app : this is a vital tool as it would be handy for sending and viewing emails be it applications or responses from prospective employers. Some recruitment agencies already cover this by having applicants create an online database such that they can apply for a role without necessarily using a personal email but every CV carries ones email. Another reason to have this is because most job listing sites deliver their feeds directly to emails.
It is pointless, more expensive and more time wasting to visit a cyber cafe just so as to check ones mail when you can do same in the comfort of your room anytime when you have the app on your phone.
Gmail and Yahoo mail apps are available for download and installation on Google Play, most phones now even come preinstalled with them. In this age of technology, an email is a must have tool for productivity.

2. Office Suite: The average applicant would need to create, edit or even re-edit documents ranging from resume to cover letter. Having to use a computer for all these can prove stressful especially when a simple mobile app can solve this. You can edit any document on the go and even get it printed anytime you want. This also makes submitting applications way easy.
A trick I employ is to create a template CV and cover letter that I edit having read through any new vacancy I pick interest in. My documents are always ready.

3. Mobile Browser: It sounds really lame putting this BUT I have discovered that many job seekers have not learnt how to maximise Opera Mini, Google Chrome, UC browser or even the usual browser that comes with their phones. They just read, open new tabs, search, etc.
You can enjoy extra benefits like
You can save each vacancy you fancy - most browsers come with a "save page" sub function.
Copy and paste. Example, you can copy keywords from each job requirement and use same on your resume or cover letter.
You can share directly any new job opening to friends using the share option to Facebook, Twitter, email, by text and event BBM or Whatsapp.
Such sharing functions can really be helpful to job seekers in their hunt.

4. Social Media Apps: Social media is fast changing how we communicate. The medium is expanding, social media encompasses popular sites like Facebook, twitter, emailing, chatting toola etc.
All job seekers should install social media applications on their mobile phones. They can use this to carry out various functions like
View/like company pages.
Share opportunities to their own networks of friends.
Connect to professional bodies and groups.
Applying for advertised jobs... the list goes on.
Some employees now look through one's social media profile in their recruitment process.
One major app job seekers really need to have is LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the worlds largest social media site for professionaks, this means that majority of the companies we want to work for are already on it. Research also shows that more employers are now posting their job ads on LinkedIn. You should consider having a LinkedIn profile as well as an app.
Check back for my special on Leveraging Social Media for Job Hunting.

5. Online Recruiters app: Such apps allows you to view/edit your account. It also allows you to view and apply for available jobs. This is relatively new in Nigeria. To my knowledge, only Jobberman has something of this nature presently, hopefully others would launch theirs soon.

Searching for a job can be time consuming and tiresome, but the efforts would be worth it when one gets that dream job. I am not relenting in my search, am even thinking of innovative ways to go about it, you should be doing same.
While you are avidly job hunting, don't stay idle, get busy and keep hope alive.

Jude.
Read Other Articles at excelinpages..com

2 Likes

Re: 5 Must Have Mobile Apps For Job Seekers by scofieldsimba(m): 12:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
And u must know one powerful senator

2 Likes

Re: 5 Must Have Mobile Apps For Job Seekers by Excelinpages(m): 12:49pm On Sep 16, 2014
scofieldsimba: And u must know one powerful senator
Lols, you can build an app DAT connects job seekers to top politician/biz moguls.. .u wud b made fr lyf.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

1.5million Email Address Of Top Business Executives And CEO / Self Image Training And Wellness Centre / Career Vs. Marriage - Women's Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.