Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,966 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! (1298 Views)

"Would You Rather Live In America, Canada, Europe, Or China?" / Europe Or Asia Which Is The Best For Nigerians? / Europe Or America Admission With Neco (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! by KenniStylez(m): 2:06pm On Sep 16, 2014
Hello. I posted this on another thread and was advised to start my own, so here it is, all input welcomed.

Hi all. Followed this thread for a bit and its been quite enlightening, though most of the information must be outdated by now (Sep. 2014). Anyway, I intend on studying in Europe starting this Dec. / early next year. I'm a mature student intending on going for Undergrad & Masters programs respectively in an European country but with the following issues in mind;

1) Tuition- Looking for something on the subsidized to relatively tuition-free side of things,

2)Quality of life- somewhere with high quality in life+ multicultural setting as I'm also seeking as much exposure as possible,

3)Standard of living- relatively low and inexpensive,

4)Part time jobs- to support myself with whilst studying,

5)Finally Visa- last of all what it'll take to get a visa to said country, ie procedure, duration etc

I'm considering the following countries but having little to nil idea about them so I'm a little skeptical, pls whatever input is duly appreciated;

France- Paris, Lyon
Belgium- Brussels, Antwerp
Germany- Berlin, Munich
Finland- Helsinki
Austria
New Zealand
Iceland

My major concerns are affordability and getting parttime/student jobs, as there isn't lots of funds which is partially the reason I've been unable 2 complete my 1st degree up until now. The only documentation I have presently are my WASSCE 2002, and a Diploma 2009(not OND).
I understand language might be a barrier in some of these places, but I'm willing to learn.
Please this is for those who gained entrance into and currently living in these countries/ have lived and have knowledge of the system. Feel free to add any more to the list of countries above that I haven't mentioned, but which you may have first hand experience of that may also be beneficial to this thread.
Thanks for your contribution
Re: To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! by bright007(f): 2:13pm On Sep 16, 2014
why have you been unable to finish your undergraduate here in nigeria
Re: To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! by ibe003(m): 5:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ok Wait I dey come
Re: To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! by DisGuy: 11:25am On Sep 17, 2014
No because

KenniStylez: My major concerns are affordability and getting parttime/student jobs, as there isn't lots of funds which is partially the reason I've been unable 2 complete my 1st degree up until now. The only documentation I have presently are my WASSCE 2002, and a Diploma 2009(not OND).
I understand language might be a barrier in some of these places, but I'm willing to learn.
Thanks for your contribution

the most expensive private university in Nigeria is still cheaper...if the tuition is free/subsidized, the cost of living will catch you out
Re: To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! by KenniStylez(m): 11:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
DisGuy: No because

the most expensive private university in Nigeria is still cheaper...if the tuition is free/subsidized, the cost of living will catch you out

@ DisGuy, Thanks but as it stands I'm willing to take chance. Depending on what private Uni you're referring to, they range anywhere from #450K - #1.5m+( eg ABTI, etc), and mostly that's excluding feeding &and other basics(personal). I attended one, so I'd know, but that's past. As I stated in my post I'm well aware that there are countries offering free tuition to international students, but having very high cost of living, but not all. Also getting part time work is part of the arrangement, I stated all this in my post. I've been told of Brussels-Belgium, Lyon/ Paris(the suburbs)-France, etc. But getting input from people with first hand experience living in such places would be quite beneficial, and not only for myself, I'm sure there are others interested in this topic as well. Btw, what country are u living in currently? What's been your experience?
Tnx
Re: To Study In Europe Or No.. Need An Urgent Answer!!! by DisGuy: 1:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
KenniStylez:
@ DisGuy, Thanks but as it stands I'm willing to take chance. Depending on what private Uni you're referring to, they range anywhere from #450K - #1.5m+( eg ABTI, etc), and mostly that's excluding feeding &and other basics(personal). I attended one, so I'd know, but that's past. As I stated in my post I'm well aware that there are countries offering free tuition to international students, but having very high cost of living, but not all. Also getting part time work is part of the arrangement, I stated all this in my post. I've been told of Brussels-Belgium, Lyon/ Paris(the suburbs)-France, etc. But getting input from people with first hand experience living in such places would be quite beneficial, and not only for myself, I'm sure there are others interested in this topic as well. Btw, what country are u living in currently? What's been your experience?
Tnx

good luck with your quest, there are many threads on here already, you'll benefit from going through threads of countries you're interested in if you join the conversation. European countries generally have similar systems...

PS the part time job are mostly for pocket money, never enough for accommodation or tuition fees; secondly they are not automatic- there are thousands of international/local stuents gunning for the same jobs plus language barrier

perharps if you have your first year fees and accomodation fees sorted before venturing out

(1) (Reply)

Australia:first Nation To Shut Its Borders To 'ebola-affected' African Countries / Chinese Men Brutally Gang Up And Beat A Nigerian Man / Biking Through Vietnam.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.