Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,964 members, 7,803,197 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

There Can Never Be Gender Equality. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / There Can Never Be Gender Equality. (3462 Views)

6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large / Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed / Do You Believe In Gender Equality? If Yes/no, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by playahP(m): 9:49pm On Nov 01, 2008
SOMETIMES I LAUGH WHEN I HEAR LADIES CRYING OUT FOR GENDER EQUALITY,
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD THEY WERE MADE OUT OF A RIB FROM MEN,

not that men should maltreat or abuse women though. kiss wink smiley
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by eldee(m): 9:53pm On Nov 01, 2008
Nah . . . that's actually wrong
We're getting closer to a gender meritocracy than ever
Women Right movements are much stronger than they used to be

Our views on issues like divorce and single parenting are changing too
Gender equality is closer than you think

1 Like

Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by enfuse(m): 10:03pm On Nov 01, 2008
@ poster
Wake up man gender equality is real. Things have really changed and nowadays, there are very few things that are gender defined. There's nothing like a man's job nor a woman's job. We all do the same things. You take a lady out and a lady takes u out too. It's only a matter of time for us here in naija to fully integrate into the gender equality phenomenon.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2008
en-fuse:

@ poster
Wake up man gender equality is real. Things have really changed and nowadays, there are very few things that are gender defined. There's nothing like a man's job nor a woman's job. We all do the same things. You take a lady out and a lady takes u out too. It's only a matter of time for us here in naija to fully integrate into the gender equality phenomenon.
Well, dreams sometimes come true smiley
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by playahP(m): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2008
yes and yes, women cry out for gender equality but are they up to it, physically or mentally, women are meant to excel in areas mean for them whiile men are meant to excel in areas meant for them

HONESTLY THERE ARE JOBS THAT A WOMAN CANT DO,
i dont wanna name them cos some insecure ladies might be offended
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by arramyjay: 10:23pm On Nov 01, 2008
really you think so!
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by playahP(m): 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2008
AND THERE ARE ALSO JOBS MEN CANT DO
wink
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by enfuse(m): 11:09pm On Nov 01, 2008
there's no job a woman can't excel in, is it being the prsident of a country, a truck driver, a wrestler, a player common there's nothing ladies can't do these days.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by myndofgold(f): 11:18pm On Nov 01, 2008
@ poster, while u are still caught up in your sexist thoughts, think for one second, where would ur ass be without a woman?
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by syren: 11:24pm On Nov 01, 2008
I don't get it, a woman shouldn't be "crying out" for it, no one ones her rights, she's entitled to do whatever she's comfortable doing, no matter the job. That includes many other aspects of her life.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by playahP(m): 11:40pm On Nov 01, 2008
I AM NOT A SEXIST, i just feel that the shout for gender equality is overrated bullshit cos women feel they arent getting enough, infact it can never be enough , na-ah, tooo bad.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 01, 2008
@ poster
na wa o! u must be one of those die-hard traditionalists! i hardly see inequality anywhere in naija, except in people's minds. my current and former boss preferred female employees nd statistics show that they're actually more reliable, loyal, flexible and safety conscious than men.

the inequality remains in the minds of those who cannot bear to relinquish the the roles created by man, to woman's disadvantage. it is only physcally evident in human physiology.

playah P. abeg leave the denial stage b4 the rest of the world leaves u behind, o biko. wink wink wink wink kiss kiss
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by eldee(m): 12:08am On Nov 02, 2008
iceblue:

@ poster
na wa o! u must be one of those die-hard traditionalists! i hardly see inequality anywhere in naija, except in people's minds. my current and former boss preferred female employees nd statistics show that they're actually more reliable, loyal, flexible and safety conscious than men.
Where do you get your stats from?? Where do you get stats to compare loyalty and flexibility??

How dare you call someone sexist when you're being sexist yourself
That's where y'all always get it wrong

It's not about being better than men, it's about having an equal, meritocratic society
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 02, 2008
oooohhhh i think i punctured someone's EGO grin grin

pls let me hear word! i'm proudly sexist. these are things we women already know. you can get the proof if you read widely enough. unfortunately, there's no space in my brain to keep the reference sources. or perhaps ur equally sexist mind skips that part of the text.

you're right, it's not abt being better - it's about complementary traits. you need certain characteristics in order to manage a home and the difficult specie called man effectively.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by BabyJinx: 12:27am On Nov 02, 2008
playah P:

SOMETIMES I LAUGH WHEN I HEAR LADIES CRYING OUT FOR GENDER EQUALITY,
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD THEY WERE MADE OUT OF A RIB FROM MEN,

not that men should maltreat or abuse women though. kiss wink smiley

LMAO! You are nice oh, It's only laugh you laugh?

Me I fall on the laughing my behind off!

Like seriously, isn't even only the RIB, what about men being the HEAD?

Please don't try to giress [/i]the matter, jare. Tell 'em as it is.

Oh, oh when do we get to the part where they gotta submit themselves totally to the men.

That's my favorite part ever because they get all.  . . What? Blah, Blah Blah what are you saying?

And I'm like oh hush you woman you, don't you get it by now? MAN - #1 and  WOMAN - Warreva.

Now go in that kitchen like a good woman and make the men some [i]samich
. Hahahahaha! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by eldee(m): 12:38am On Nov 02, 2008
iceblue:

oooohhhh i think i punctured someone's EGO grin grin

please let me hear word! i'm proudly sexist. these are things we women already know. you can get the proof if you read widely enough. unfortunately, there's no space in my brain to keep the reference sources. or perhaps ur equally sexist mind skips that part of the text.

you're right, it's not about being better - it's about complementary traits. you need certain characteristics in order to manage a home and the difficult specie called man effectively.
My ego?? Nah . . . many have tried, many have failed
I'm prolly the cockiest person you'll never meet in your sexist existence, ask your women right movement leaders . . . they'll give you my CV.

There's one fact I think you should read aloud and understand
I don't give half a Bleep if you're sexist . . . my part of it is that you should give proof before you drop sumn as ill-informed as that

Another thing you need to understand is that the woman was not born with traits to make them homely
They were trained to be homely . . . dig??
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by jgirl3: 3:52am On Nov 02, 2008
yes and yes, women cry out for gender equality but are they up to it, physically or mentally, women are meant to excel in areas mean for them whiile men are meant to excel in areas meant for them

HONESTLY THERE ARE JOBS THAT A WOMAN can't DO,
i don't want to name them because some insecure ladies might be offended
Playah P
What kind of a man are you?
Please, tell me what jobs are created that women can NOT excel in.
What job can a woman not do?

No, you don't want to name them because they don't exist. But please prove me wrong.

my current and former boss preferred female employees nd statistics show that they're actually more reliable, loyal, flexible and safety conscious than men.

the inequality remains in the minds of those who cannot bear to relinquish the the roles created by man, to woman's disadvantage. it is only physcally evident in human physiology
Iceblue
I like the fact that you have an idea of sexism.
What job is it that your boss does?
No man employs females because they are more reliable - that's an absolute misnomer. Reliability, loyalty and safety-conscious are all states of mind, it's more of a personal thing.
About flexibility . . . what?
Inequality is not a thing of the mind, it's something that actually occurs ESPECIALLY if you really look at how women are objectified.
I think you have a vague idea what gender egalitarianism is.
It has gone way beyond the physical. How else do you explain the fact that women are the ones who cover their faces in Arab places and NOT men. Do you realize that most men see women as their property?
Think of the bride price effect.
Think of the fact that some women are disrespected for their opinions just because they are women ESPECIALLY those in high places.
What do you call that? Is it based on human physiology?
Eldee is completely right (OH MY GOSH, I can't believe I'm saying it . . . shocked this statement will never repeat itself again smiley ). You are not puncturing his ego. You just don't have any idea what gender inequality is. A true sexist is someone who believes in gender inequality because they believe the other sex is wayyyyyyyyyy below them so you are not a sexist either.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by myndofgold(f): 4:44am On Nov 02, 2008
I wont say it is a "naija man" thing, I'll just say it's a man thing period. Everytime i have this conversation with a guy, they sum it up and say  "it is a man's world." well, "IT IS also 2008!" what the hell does "a man's world look like?" wars, economic depression and increasing rate of HIV amongst the women who are foolishly married to your dumbasses while you go stick it up another "man's" ass?! Bleep THAT! I resent that statement! However, I don't really blame anyone (the women who agreed with this statement as well) for maintaining this thought process which is oh so sad because as AFRICAN men especially, sexism has been inculcated into your minds and is so deeply embeded that everyone sees it as normalcy! The monopoly of domination is not as a result of women being the "weaker sex", but sadly a result of women being told over and over again that they should consider themselves LUCKY because some dumb fat dude with loads of money can afford to buy her love, and as long as he "COMES HOME" to her and her children, she ought to turn her head and pretend as though nothing else is going on! So as far as "work-ability" is concerned, well, it's sad to say this, but it is just another institution where the "male sex" which has turned to this socially constructed gender of "power and dominance" tries to maintain the ""glass ceiling" in the name of what?! "culture" is not an excuse for the oppression, dehumanization and objectification of women abeg.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2008
Maybe not really equality; but if we can prevent marginalization, then I think its enough.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2008
j-girl:

Playah P
What kind of a man are you?
Please, tell me what jobs are created that women can NOT excel in.
What job can a woman not do?

No, you don't want to name them because they don't exist. But please prove me wrong.
Iceblue
I like the fact that you have an idea of sexism.
What job is it that your boss does?
No man employs females because they are more reliable - that's an absolute misnomer. Reliability, loyalty and safety-conscious are all states of mind, it's more of a personal thing.
About flexibility . . . what?
Inequality is not a thing of the mind, it's something that actually occurs ESPECIALLY if you really look at how women are objectified.
I think you have a vague idea what gender egalitarianism is.
It has gone way beyond the physical. How else do you explain the fact that women are the ones who cover their faces in Arab places and NOT men. Do you realize that most men see women as their property?
Think of the bride price effect.
Think of the fact that some women are disrespected for their opinions just because they are women ESPECIALLY those in high places.
What do you call that? Is it based on human physiology?
Eldee is completely right (OH MY GOSH, I can't believe I'm saying it . . . shocked this statement will never repeat itself again smiley ). You are not puncturing his ego. You just don't have any idea what gender inequality is. A true sexist is someone who believes in gender inequality because they believe the other sex is wayyyyyyyyyy below them so you are not a sexist either.

those facts aren't misquoted. i just dont have the sources to submit here, nor do i have the time to search for them. i just read and move on.

so maybe you're right about me not being sexist (i can tell you for certain that i was half asleep by the time i got to that part cos Lord knows i don't do feminism either! tongue tongue) but playah cannot claim that women's homely skills are all trained. that is sooo untrue. much of it is instinctive. note also that i said that most of this 'gender inequality' thing is man's refusal to accept that the rules man created to the disadvantage of women cease to apply.

the only reason man has been successful this far in treating women as chattel is because they're physically stronger and can impose their will on women. I suppose you also know that in many of those arab countries you mentioned, women are killed by their own families if they feel (they don't even need evidence) she has dishonored them?

it's not abt what my bosses do. it just seems to happen that way. i can't blame the men either - they've got all these financial needs to take care of. a man wouldn't hesitate to move to another job even if the pay difference is slight. a woman prefers security, and would need a better reason to move than a 10k difference in salary. that's the loyalty part.

the reliability and flexibility shows when she is more willing to go the extra mile and have a more flexible mindset than men.

as far as safety conscious goes, c'mon! guys are not as safety conscious as women, unless it has to do with their shiny new car.

they've got their strong points definitely, but women are showing them that whatever we set our minds to do can be done. simple.

@ playah p
go search the internet if you want proof. nothing said on nairaland is law anyway.
and if you want the crown for the cockiest person in existence, we'll see what can be done about that. wink wink wink
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by whitelexi(m): 3:19pm On Nov 03, 2008
We can only get close but it wont happen. Gender inequality started with the first man on earth, Adam grin So it is definitely not a naija man's thing.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by MsLurker(f): 6:41pm On Nov 03, 2008
myndofgold:

I wont say it is a "naija man" thing, I'll just say it's a man thing period. Everytime i have this conversation with a guy, they sum it up and say  "it is a man's world." well, "IT IS also 2008!" what the hell does "a man's world look like?" wars, economic depression and increasing rate of HIV amongst the women who are foolishly married to your dumbasses while you go stick it up another "man's" ass?! Bleep THAT! I resent that statement! However, I don't really blame anyone (the women who agreed with this statement as well) for maintaining this thought process which is oh so sad because as AFRICAN men especially, sexism has been inculcated into your minds and is so deeply embeded that everyone sees it as normalcy! The monopoly of domination is not as a result of women being the "weaker sex", but sadly a result of women being told over and over again that they should consider themselves LUCKY because some dumb fat dude with loads of money can afford to buy her love, and as long as he "COMES HOME" to her and her children, she ought to turn her head and pretend as though nothing else is going on! So as far as "work-ability" is concerned, well, it's sad to say this, but it is just another institution where the "male sex" which has turned to this socially constructed gender of "power and dominance" tries to maintain the ""glass ceiling" in the name of what?! "culture" is not an excuse for the oppression, dehumanization and objectification of women abeg.

It is a male thing, period. I find it most in the black populace, though. Thankfully, my dad raised a daughter who is independent. Anyway, it has to do with ego and women for so long catering to that ego. Some still do, a great amount of other women do not and men (from my opinion - only) between the two sexes don't take change really well.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Shaz(f): 7:54pm On Nov 03, 2008
This topic is undefinable. I'm not saying this because I am female or whatever reason you might think, I'm just being as real as can be.

Take a look at societies, we now have symmetrical families - both parents sharing equal roles in the home. [Young & Wilmott(1975)]. Plus, we're in the post-modernist age. There are no norms and values.

It's taking time but after the radical feminist ages, every thing is getting equal, kinda.

This whole issue of equality being a naija man's issue is not true, though. I think the Asians also have this stereotypical believe that women are substandard and all.

According to Jan Pahl (1980), the main reason women are unequal is due to the physical control and economic control by the men. But take a look at the society today, women now work in the same places and men and get the same pay. There are social rules kept in place to avoid the men from oppressing women. So you if ask me, it's only a matter of time for you to see massive changes in equality in Nigeria.

However, there is this one hindrance that might make gender equality impracticable - primary socialization. The family. The family always brings up the child in the 'common sense' way that a girl/boy is meant to be. To cut the long story short, in Nigerian families, the girls are 'meant' to be in the kitchen, the boys are 'meant' to do the 'lads'' job. These individuals grow up the way the are nurtured and alas, gender inequality is still there, standing behind the curtains.

Even the dominant religions, if you search through them, there is a particular conjugal role for each gender. Most people follow this and thus, equality is unlikely to be attained.

So, yeah, the poster is right! (although he's taking 'em from a wrong angle).
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2008
@ Poster, I'm sure 100 years ago, Americans would have laughed out loud at the idea of an African President !!!
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by whitelexi(m): 5:01pm On Nov 05, 2008
Ujujoan:

@ Poster, I'm sure 100 years ago, Americans would have laughed out loud at the idea of an African President !!!

Things change, but this one will hardly. . . McCain/Palin should've won if your principle was correct grin
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by PepERSprAY: 7:02pm On Nov 05, 2008
whitelexi:

Things change, but this one will hardly. . . McCain/Palin should've won if your principle was correct grin
Please! It will come to pass. I think we'll soon get there in Nigeria as long as we put more effort in educating the North and setting them free from obscure poverty. Hausas are the ones that have a long way to go in gender equality. Have you seen any Hausa woman win an election in the North before?. They are so backward that they can't even produce a female local govt chairman. Their Kannywood would have been the first step to rewire their backwards mind but they have a habit of sending actors and actresses to jail if a movie leans towards the left. I still believe there is hope and the media may be the only source besides, education makes people more liberal and accepting. So, educating the North will be a very big step in achieving this. There has been a Yoruba female speaker, Yoruba female deputy governor, Igbo female governor and igbo female deputy governor,Igbo female state speaker. That is one of the signs that people are open to gender equality. If the North remains stunted as the are, I am afraid it'll be more difficult to achieve.
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 06, 2008
whitelexi:

So you think Americans prefer and African President to a female vice president I'm hurt !!!
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by bawomolo(m): 8:13pm On Nov 06, 2008
But take a look at the society today, women now work in the same places and men and get the same pay.

oh rly
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by slimfine(f): 9:42pm On Jan 02, 2009
@poster

you wrote your opinion knowing fully well that, that statement is incorrect. what a man can do, a woman can do best.

it is all about division of roles to have a progressive society and family. A man is suppose to be a head of the family but women can equally fill into this and many more role and do so perfectly well (single parent families).

the only role that is deemed a man's that a woman cannot do is "provision of sperm" but you never know, with new technology, we might be able pull that off!!!!
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by tpia: 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2009
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by earTHMama: 11:01pm On Jan 02, 2009

well, if there's one thing I'm yet to see a woman do well, its forever sitting under a tree playing cards or gossiping and drinking palmwine with other women while the men toil away all day on the farm.

Women suck badly at that kind of thing, so they definitely can't do it as well as a man.

I hope you catch my drift?

Roflmao grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: There Can Never Be Gender Equality. by MaiSuya(m): 12:04am On Jan 03, 2009
tpia:

@ Playah

well, if there's one thing I'm yet to see a woman do well, its forever sitting under a tree playing cards or [b]gossiping [/b]and drinking palmwine with other women while the men toil away all day on the farm.

Women suck badly at that kind of thing, so they definitely can't do it as well as a man.

I hope you catch my drift?

Concur with all except the emboldened part, which, IMHO is indisputably confined to the sole jurisdiction of our lactating counterparts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oduduwa Who Came From Heaven / 80,000 Bare-breasted Virgins Dance For King Of Swaziland (VIDEO) / Yoruba Is Now An Official Language In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.