Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Hand Sanitizer Vs Ebola Virus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hand Sanitizer Vs Ebola Virus (754 Views)

Ebola: Access Bank Provides Sanitizer For Customers Entering The Banking Hall / Hand Sanitizer Does Not Prevent Ebola Virus - Harold Thomas / President Jonathan, Fashola, Sambo Use Hand Sanitizer During Meeting On Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hand Sanitizer Vs Ebola Virus by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
I never wanted to talk on this infamous virus until recently when a friend came over to my place and he fabed (to take a friends possession without permission) my hand sanitizer which a dear friend gave to me at this perilous time. So after some minutes of thinking, i thought about something, i am using the hand sanitzer to protect my self against the most deadly virus around, but does it really do the protection job?

i'll let you be the judge of that.

Hand Sanitizer

Antibacterial hand sanitizers are marketed to the public as an effective way to "wash one's hands" when traditional soap and water are not available. These "waterless" products are particularly popular now with the emergence of the deadly Ebola virus. Manufacturers of hand sanitizers claim that the sanitizers kill 99.9 percent of germs. Since you naturally use hand sanitizers to cleanse your hands, the assumption is that 99.9 percent of harmful germs are killed by the sanitizers. Research studies suggest that this is not the case.

Germ (jerm)
1. a pathogenic microorganism.
2. a living substance capable of developing into an organ, part, or organism as a whole; a primordium.

A germ is a pathogen or infectious agent is a biological agent that causes disease or illness to its host. The term is most often used for agents that disrupt the normal physiology of a multicellular animal or plant. However, pathogens can infect unicellular organisms from all of the biological kingdoms. The term pathogen is derived from the Greek παθογένεια, "that which produces suffering."

Virus /vi·rus/ (vi´rus) [L.] a minute infectious agent which, with certain exceptions, is not resolved by the light microscope, lacks independent metabolism and is able to replicate only within a living host cell; the individual particle (virion) consists of nucleic acid (nucleoid) DNA or RNA (but not both)?and a protein shell (capsid), which contains and protects the nucleic acid and which may be multilayered.

Antibiotics CANNOT KILL viruses
A virus is an infectious agent, smaller than bacteria, which requires the cells of a living organism to grow or reproduce. Viruses cause a variety of infectious diseases, among them the common cold, diarrhea, chicken pox, yellow fever, most childhood respiratory diseases and the majority of infections of the upper respiratory passages.

In my own opinion:

I am not against the use of hand sanitizer, but thinking it does the job of protection against Ebola virus is wrong. The best way to protect ourselves from the virus is washing of hands with soap and water, after which you can still still apply your hand sanitizer to give your hands nice scent and fight off germs.

A hand sanitizer can not and should not take the place of proper cleansing procedures with soap and water.

Be smart, Be safe, Be healthy.

For more articles, kindly click on www.designspaceltd.net

(1) (Reply)

Is My HABIT Normal? / Doctors And Scientists In The House, Solution To Breast Development. / 10 Reasons Kids Are Pretty Much Just Tiny Drunk Adults

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.