Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide (7769 Views)

Nigeria Employability Training Bootcamp Coming Soon... / Pmtutor Employability Program For Corp Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 4:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
Featuring:
- 50 Interview Questions and How To Answer Them
- Personality/Temperament Assessments Tests
- How To Start Your Job Search
- Professional Job Search Tools
- Aptitude Tests and How To Master Them

Let's Get Started...

2 Likes

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2014
INTRODUCTION
Getting employed is a serious issue. It is a task that MUST be handled with all the seriousness, professionalism and dedication that it deserves. It is no longer news that a lot of graduates are unemployable because there is a gap between the skills organizations require of them and the skills they possess.

No wonder Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in a news interview lamented that “Nigerian graduates are unemployable i.e. they lack the set of world class skills needed for 21st century business.” This assertion is true as I have personally discovered that some graduates are a far CRY from the realities of the demand of the workplace. Many lack computer literacy skills, communication skills, analytical skills, self management skills, problem solving skills, and other skills needed in the 21st century work environment.

The purpose of this guide therefore is to show you how to increase your chances of being employed, digging deep into the things you need to personally upgrade yourself to the standard requires of the modern organization. This is not the time to point accusing fingers at anyone but to sit down and take RESPONSIBILITY. A lot of graduates or job seekers think someone has to be responsible for getting them employment and will lazy about blaming everyone but themselves for their inabilities to secure their dream job.

WAKE UP. You are RESPONSIBLE for your life. Stop the COMPLAINT. Acquire the requisite knowledge you need to get that dream job of yours. Stop being LAZY.

This guide is meant to empower you greatly.

I believe if you decide to stick to the blueprint in this guide, you will increase your chances of being employed.

To your progress.

Joseph Philip
Principal Consultant
The Solution Palace Consults
08098086797, 08144303049

PROFESSIONAL CV WRITING SERVICES
Click here ==> https://www.nairaland.com/1802532/professional-cv-rewrite-corps-members

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 10:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Thanks for following

TABLE OF CONTENT
- Chapter 1: Subject Matter Definition
- Chapter 2: Your Mindset - A Crucial Tool In Enhancing Your Employability
- Chapter 3: Take Responsibility
- Chapter 4: Your Self Worth
- Chapter 5: Before You Begin Your Job Search
- Chapter 6: General Work Place Skills
- Chapter 7: Your Job Hunting Tools
- Chapter 8: Aptitude Tests
- Chapter 9: Interviews

CHAPTER 1: SUBJECT MATTER DEFINITION

What does it mean to enhance? To enhance implies; to make better, to increase the chances, quality or value of something. Employability is about having a positive self image and presenting yourself successfully both as a new graduate and throughout your life.

Enhancing Your Employability therefore refers to your PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY of increasing your chances of being employed. Employability in this context does refer to PAID employment. Every year, hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of graduates are released by Nigerian higher institutions into the larger society to seek paid employment or start their own businesses. Frequent strikes by lecturers of public higher institutions mean students spend more years than they would have necessary have thereby reducing their chances of getting employed as many organizations prefer very young graduates such that they peg the ages of graduates at a certain maximum they desire.

It therefore implies that for most graduates, the odds are stacked against them age-wise. The low quality of education given to students in our higher institutions of learning notwithstanding, the onus lies on you as a graduate to equip yourself through thorough research of what your dream workplace requires and personally developing yourself to meet up these requirements.

You need more than luck or connection to get and remain in a job. Your personality is seen through the way you handle your job search and job search tools. Even more is your personality revealed when you begin to work. You need to work on yourself greatly to fit into the demanding requirements of the 21st century work environment.

Get up and take RESPONSIBILITY.

..........................................................................................

A professionally written CV gives you the edge and makes you stand out during recruitment exercises. Read testimonials of satisfied clients:

Click here ==> https://www.nairaland.com/1802532/professional-cv-rewrite-corps-members

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 9:40am On Sep 29, 2014
CHAPTER 2: YOUR MINDSET - A CRUCIAL TOOL IN ENHANCING YOUR EMPLOYABILITY

It is very dangerous to live in the PAST. Whether you succeeded or failed in the past, that event belongs to the past. Whatever anyone has told you about the non-availability of jobs in Nigeria needs to be thrown into the trash can. THERE ARE JOBS IN NIGERIA – the challenge is that you don’t KNOW HOW TO POSITION YOURSELF PROPERLY to get the job you desire.

It is very saddening that many graduates have already given up hope about securing their dream job simply because they have been brainwashed over time that there are no jobs. YOU ARE WHAT YOU THINK. If you have the wrong mindset about job search, your physical efforts in getting a job will not yield any meaningful result no matter how hard you try. Due to the fact that you graduated with a low grade does not signify the end of the world. That low grade is a WAKE UP CALL that you need to buckle up and seek how to get better.

Your mindset is the MAJOR FACTOR that determines whether you will succeed or fail in your job search. You need to ask yourself these questions – Why do I want to get a job? What kind of job do I desire? Am I ready to pay the price required of this job through rigorous research and personal self improvement?

Many graduates that graduated with higher grades in the higher institutions do have the mindset that since they have high grades, they will automatically get employed. No! I beg to let you know. With the undignified manners lecturers doles out marks to students in the higher institutions; certificates with these high grades are taken with a pinch of salt as these corporate organizations know that a lot of these certificate holders are not worth their salt i.e. are not knowledgeable to have merited such grades. Hence, a level playing field via aptitude tests conducted by these organizations to sift out the chaff from the wheat.

YOUR MINDSET IS VERY IMPORTANT.

If you are defeated in the mind, you are a loser. Whether you failed or succeeded while in the tertiary institution, you need to ADJUST YOUR MINDSET in order to grasp the realities of your present situation and the necessary demands of your dream job.

Change your mindset, changer your thoughts, change your priorities.

................................................................................
A professionally written CV gives you the edge and makes you stand out during recruitment exercises. Read testimonials of satisfied clients and get yours NOW!

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 12:34am On Oct 05, 2014
CHAPTER 3: TAKE RESPONSIBILITY

This is your life, it is not your father’s, mother’s, uncles’, aunts’ or siblings’. IT IS YOUR LIFE. If this is your life, then you need to take RESPONSIBILITY for how you want your life to be.

It is widely believed that once you are a graduate, you have the wherewithal to survive and fend for yourself. However, how many graduates are fending for themselves presently? Statistics by the National Bureau of Statistics show that as at 2011, the unemployment rate stood at 23.9%. Is that not alarming? Despite this shocking statistic, many graduates still do not want to take their own destiny into their own hands. They will rather blame the government, the society at large and their well connected uncles and aunts for failing to help them secure paid employment. STOP PASSING THE BUCK!

Personal responsibility is a sign of maturity and progress. We all know the government is not providing enough jobs but will continuous hammering of this fact in our ears yield any positive result for you as a job seeker? The answer is a straight NO! You can even be in the midst of well connected people yet not be able to secure your own dream job. Take responsibility. To know how to write a market place winning CV, take personal responsibility. To know how to write a good cover letter, take personal responsibility. To conduct job searches both online and offline, it is your own responsibility. To respond to job vacancies, it’s your responsibility. Too equip yourself with the skills required in the workplace you dream of, it is your own personal responsibility. YOU MUST NOT TRANSFER YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO SOMEONE ELSE.

Many graduates are lazy while searching are lazy when searching for jobs (probably a fallout of their lazy attitude while in school). What is worth doing at all is worth doing well. After a few trials of submitting their CVs with no positive responses, many simply give up and begin to sulk throwing tantrums here and there and blaming others but themselves for their woes.

TAKE YOUR DESTINY INTO YOUR OWN HANDS.

Don’t abandon or throw away your responsibility AT ALL. Get up! Sit down! Discipline yourself to know and act in consonance with the fact that the WILL to turn your life around positively lies in your own hands.

Get up! Your job will not come into your hands while you are busy announcing to anyone that cares to listen that you are a graduate with no job without taking POSITIVE CONCRETE steps to secure a job.

You will not be helped if you don’t help yourself.

Here is a post by a person with the username: xfire in the career section of www.nairaland.com

PRE-NYSC AND NYSC DAYS

After my graduation I was sad and depressed because I didn't graduate with a first class. I never imagined my life without a first class. It haunted me for long, and to be sincere, it took me more than a year to fully recover from it. I feared for the job market because I felt I was disadvantaged age-wise, especially with my 'pure-water' 2-1 degree. I stayed at home for 6 months after graduation before I was mobilized for service. During that period, I whiled away time by teaching in a secondary school. I also began subscribing for job email alerts, and started reading online job websites and the famous Guardian newspaper. Even though I wasn't eligible to apply, I started studying the pattern of job vacancies. I was always interested in the companies that were recruiting and their requirements. I wrote my first amateur CV upon graduation. I have since refined my CV writing skills. Thank God I don't have to write personal CVs again, at least not anytime soon.

I will only review people's CV's from time to time. I will talk a bit about good CV writing later in the thread.
I taught in a public secondary school during my NYSC days. This gave me ample time to socialize and also prepare for the labour market. Many of my colleagues 'worked' their service to Lagos where they served in big organizations I could only dream of.

But I made use of the only resource I had - TIME. I started reading about how to how to write good CVs and prepare for interviews. I also started putting in my applications 6 months to the end of my service year. I applied for the PTDF overseas scholarship. I learnt about various job sites during this period. One surprising fact is that I observed that many of my fellow 'corpers' had little or no information about job hunting, CV writing, interview skills and presentation. A lot of corp members could not write a simple CV. Many had little or no computer knowledge. Many had very poor writing skills. With my basic CV writing art, I had to help many of the corps members to write their CV's especially those about to pass out. In many cases, I followed them to the cyber cafe to create emails for them and make online applications for them (then the internet was accessible as it is today). I still know many graduates today that cannot write and speak properly. Many of them are still without job or are currently underemployed. And I doubt if they can improve their employment status if they don't make themselves employable. This leads me to lesson #5.

LESSON 5: Basic writing skills, good communication skills and computer literacy are 3 fundamental elements of employability. When it is said that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable, they simply mean they lack simple communication skills most of the time. They simply cannot speak, write or express themselves comprehensibly enough.

It's unfortunate but this is true in some cases. In addition, it is simply unacceptable to be a computer illiterate in this information age. Many job vacancies are posted online and most information are electronic in nature. I have a friend (from the same village) who studied accounting. He is young and sharp but he could hardly speak or write English without grammatical errors due to poor primary and secondary education. He went for various interviews during his NYSC days but was not successful in any. I had to encourage him to start reading books and writing. I also advised him to get a good part-time English teacher, if possible. Guess what? He got one. Today, he is gainfully employed in a bank.

If you are poor in communication, start working on it now! The secret is practice. Practice, practice, practice! There is no alternative. Communication skill is quite important in oral interview stage, and I will elaborate on that when I get there. You don't have to be an orator like Barack Obama, or Martin Luther King Jr. But you need to be able to comprehend others, and be able to express yourself in a formal setting. My communication skill was not as good as it is now. I developed it with constant practice and discipline. As a matter of fact, I am not a gifted orator. I am still improving on my presentation skills.

Till date, I still practice ahead of time before I make formal presentations in meetings, except if it is impromptu. Presentation skill is also important for career progression. Good presentation skills give a positive impression about your intellectual and leadership ability (even if it is just an impression!). That is why I feel pity for many job seekers who can hardly write properly but will keep using shorthand. Posting and commenting clearly on forums like Nairaland is one of the ways of improving your writing skills.

A professionally written CV gives you the edge and makes you stand out during recruitment exercises.

Read testimonials of satisfied clients and get yours NOW!

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 10:41am On Oct 09, 2014
CHAPTER 4: YOUR SELF WORTH

Who are you?

The right answer to the question above comprising those three words will to a great extent determine your pursuit in life. A lot of individuals cannot provide answers to that question because they have never sat themselves down to think about it neither has anyone sat them down to ask them this very important life question.

Many of us went to school to study courses we never chose or had passion for but just had to study after we had sought admission and could not get any on time. Many of us studied courses others recommended for us (though it turned out good for some) not minding whether it was the right course for our kind of person. Some of us also studied courses our parents ‘forced’ or ‘cajoled’ us into studying. By the time we graduated from school, we only became carriers of certificates (of courses) we had no passion for in the first place.

These experiences we encountered during our course of study have left a sour taste in our mouth. We don’t know where to start our life all over again. We are disillusioned, disoriented and discouraged. However, I can tell you that you can rediscover your originality, your passion and your purpose in life. You can live your real self – yes you can!

Understanding who EXACTLY you are is possible if you are connected to God through your heart and not just your head.

This is not about religion at all; this is about sharing my personal life experience with you. Jeremiah 10:23 says, “O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself; it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.” I have come to understand without any iota doubt in my heart that contrary to what obtains in popular books and the world at large, discovering who you are is never a matter of you looking inside yourself, it is a matter of looking up to God through Jesus Christ.

............................................................................................................................................................
A professionally written CV gives you the edge and makes you stand out during recruitment exercises.

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by AMZYMAYO(m): 2:03am On Oct 10, 2014
Kudos to the great work you are doing here. Continue the good word. I pray God reward you increasingly.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 11:55am On Oct 10, 2014
AMZYMAYO:
Kudos to the great work you are doing here. Continue the good word. I pray God reward you increasingly.

Amen to your prayers.

Thanks.

You can please invite others to this thread.

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:40pm On Oct 10, 2014
People will definitely come. This thread is such an eye-opener.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by undisputedk: 10:52pm On Oct 10, 2014
Wonderful piece. God bless you for this!
*still in the class*
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Ademat7(m): 10:25am On Oct 11, 2014
This is a good job u r doing here. thumbs up!
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2014
undisputedk:
Wonderful piece. God bless you for this!
*still in the class*

Amen. All glory belongs to God.

Thanks for coming in. I believe we all will learn one or two things from this *class*.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ademat7:
This is a good job u r doing here. thumbs up!

Thanks for your comment. You can also invite others here to learn.

Thanks once again.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 2:19pm On Oct 13, 2014
CHAPTER 5: BEFORE YOU BEGIN YOUR JOB SEARCH

It is very important that you conduct a thorough appraisal of yourself in order to know your strengths and weaknesses. This self appraisal is VERY IMPORTANT if you desire to get the kind of job you want. If you don’t take time out to properly ascertain your personality and know the kind of job that fits your person, you will face a lot of challenges in your job search. Therefore, knowing your strengths and weaknesses is crucial to knowing the way you like to work.

Don’t rely on luck to help you get your dream job – you really need to sit down and be in charge of your career through the focused and unambiguous definition of your aspirations and goals.

Here are some questions you need to create time for and seek a quiet or solitary place to find deep-reaching answers for.
i. What were my original childhood career hopes and dreams?
ii. What are the things that are of importance to my life?
iii. What am I good at fulfilling at work?
iv. What kind of work things do I enjoy?
v. Five years from now, what would I like to be doing? What would I like to have achieved by then? What do I see myself doing?
vi. How would I describe my dream job?

The onus is therefore on you at this stage of your life to sit down and thoroughly analyze yourself. As I have personally done, I will recommend some websites where you can take personality/temperament tests and many other types of tests which will aid you in discovering your strengths and weaknesses. Here they are:
- www.humanmetrics.com
- www.personality-testing.info
- www.outofservice.com/bigfive
- www.queendom.com/tests/index.htm
- www.keirsey.com/sorter/register.aspx

The Personal SWOT Analysis
SWOT which is an acronym for STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES and THREATS is a key tool in strategic planning. It can also be adapted to your career planning. SWOT focuses on two environments; Internal and External. STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES focus on the internal environment while OPPORTUNITIES and THREATS focus on the external environment

While conducting your personal SWOT analysis, you have to be TRUE to yourself. The greatest damage you will do to yourself and your career prospect is to LIE to yourself at this juncture. Be thoroughly SINCERE TO YOURSELF.

Your SWOT analysis begins with your personal assessment of your current situation. What are your strengths and weaknesses? How can you

To construct your own SWOT analysis to set a course for your career planning, examine your current situation. What are your strengths and weaknesses? How can you get the most out of your strengths and surmount your weaknesses? What are the external opportunities and threats in your chosen career field? The overall goal of your personal SWOT analysis is to set a course for your career planning.

The following questions adapted from http://www.quintcareers.com/SWOT_questions.html will help you greatly in your SWOT analysis.

Job-Seeker Strengths
• What are your advantages?
• What do you do well?
• Why did you decide to enter the field you will enter upon graduation?
• What were the motivating factors and influences?
• Do these factors still represent some of your inherent strengths?
• What need do you expect to fill within your organization?
• What have been your most notable achievements?
• To what do you attribute your success?
• How do you measure your success?
• What knowledge or expertise will you bring to the company you join that may not have been available to the organization before?
• What is your greatest asset?

Job-Seeker Weaknesses
• What could be improved?
• What do you do badly?
• What should you avoid?
• What are your professional weaknesses?
• How do they affect your job performance? (These might include weakness in technical skill areas or in leadership or interpersonal skills.)
• Think about your most unpleasant experiences in school or in past jobs and consider whether some aspect of your personal or professional life could be a root cause.

Career Opportunities
• Where are the promising prospects facing you?
• What is the "state of the art" in your particular area of expertise?
• Are you doing everything you can to enhance your exposure to this area?
• What formal training and education can you add to your credentials that might position you appropriately for more opportunities?
• Would an MBA or another graduate degree add to your advantage?
• How quickly are you likely to advance in your chosen career?
• Useful opportunities can come from such things as:
o Changes in technology and markets on both a broad and industry-specific scale
o Changes in government policy related to your field
o Changes in social patterns, population profiles, lifestyle changes, etc.

Career Threats

• What obstacles do you face?
• Are the requirements for your desired job field changing?
• Does changing technology threaten your prospective position?
• What is the current trend line for your personal area of expertise?
• Could your area of interest be fading in comparison with more emergent fields?
• Is your chosen field subject to internal politics that will lead to conflict?
• Is there any way to change the politics or to perhaps defuse your involvement in potential disputes?
• How might the economy negatively affect your future company and your work group?
• Will your future company provide enough access to new challenges to keep you sharp -- and marketable -- in the event of sudden unemployment?

Career Assessment Websites
- http://quintcareers.testingroom.com/
- www.livecareer.com
- http://www.jobdiagnosis.com/registration.htm
- www.jobdiagnosis.com
- http://www.careerperfect.com/content/career-planning-work-preference-inventory
- http://ransdellassociates.com/
- http://www.careerkey.org/asp/your_personality/take_test.asp
- http://www.knowyourtype.com/

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Hormorthorshor(m): 7:53pm On Oct 13, 2014
This is fantastic.........Thumbs up!!!
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Qoradi(m): 4:33pm On Oct 14, 2014
Brings out jotter
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 7:16pm On Oct 14, 2014
Hormorthorshor:
This is fantastic.........Thumbs up!!!

Thanks.

I do hope you are learning something.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2014
Qoradi:
Brings out jotter

Good bro. Please, jot and commit to putting them in action.

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by MikeMoses(m): 8:30pm On Oct 14, 2014
Excellent write up! With every chapter, I learn something new. Keep it up sir.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 9:38pm On Oct 14, 2014
MikeMoses:
Excellent write up! With every chapter, I learn something new. Keep it up sir.

Thanks.

No one graduates from life's school of learning.

Please, invite others here.

Thanks once again.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Chinoble(f): 7:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Wow! Nice write-up
long journey with so much work to do.
Life nd future looks complicated especially for someone like me in year one. Still trying to fully understand the course i'm studying(Biochemistry).
Jus pray dat i triumph in d end.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
Chinoble:
Wow! Nice write-up
long journey with so much work to do.
Life nd future looks complicated especially for someone like me in year one. Still trying to fully understand the course i'm studying(Biochemistry).
Jus pray dat i triumph in d end.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a step.

It is very easy to lose focus while in school. It is therefore paramount that you surround yourself with people of like minds who are either better than you or at least aspire to become better. You are the one who will determine how you end up.

You must do all you can to ensure you are not negatively influenced.

I am wishing you the best in your academic endeavour.

Thanks for dropping by to read and leave your comment.

Please, go a step further by kindly inviting others to this great thread.

God bless you.

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Chinoble(f): 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2014
Bigdreams:

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a step.

It is very easy to lose focus while in school. It is therefore paramount that you surround yourself with people of like minds who are either better than you or at least aspire to become better. You are the one who will determine how you end up.

You must do all you can to ensure you are not negatively influenced.

I am wishing you the best in your academic endeavour.

Thanks for dropping by to read and leave your comment.

Please, go a step further by kindly inviting others to this great thread.

God bless you.
alright tnx.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Hormorthorshor(m): 9:02am On Oct 17, 2014
I look forward to reading........6,7,8,9.......Thanks man
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 9:21am On Oct 17, 2014
Hormorthorshor:
I look forward to reading........6,7,8,9.......Thanks man

Thanks for following.

Chapter 6 will be posted today.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by tobey2ng(m): 9:48am On Oct 17, 2014
Following the thread fully
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 1:27pm On Oct 18, 2014
Hello all,

Please, I am sorry for not fulfilling my promise of posting chapter 6 yesterday.

My internet subscription got exhausted and only re-subscribed today.

I will be posting it later.

Thanks.

Your questions and comments are welcome.
Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 1:57pm On Oct 18, 2014
CHAPTER 6: GENERAL WORKPLACE SKILLS

The work place is a place where decisions are made on a daily basis, where interactions occur every time. It is therefore very important that you are able to integrate yourself with the demands of the work place. Here are lists of diverse skills that are needed in the workplace. These skills will greatly enhance your chances of being employed.

1. Communication Skills: The importance of being a good communicator in the work place cannot be over-emphasized. You need to be able to express yourself concisely and be able to write clearly. You should also be fluent in your speech. Slangs have become the lingua franca of so many job seekers no thanks to the text messages/chat abbreviations used a lot by them. They have thus become estranged from the reality of the kind of communication skills the workplace requires. If it is your desire to secure your dream job, you have to do away with slangs. Read books, make research online, get materials that will help you improve your communication skills. One book that really helped me a great deal is ‘The Art Of Public Speaking’ by Stephen Lucas (McGraw Hill Publishers). This book contains 2 video cd’s and 8 audio cd’s that aid one’s understand of the book. Make a search and get this book.

2. Computer Literacy Skills: I need to state this as a matter of fact – this is the 21st century and any graduate who is not computer literate has simply let himself or herself down. Some aptitude tests are now conducted online. Many graduates are very adept at making use of their mobile or smart phones but are completely useless when it comes to making use of the computer. I know the personal story of a particular man who came to our computer training school and related this incident to him and what prompted him to come for computer training. According to him, he has a National Diploma (ND) in accounting and was employed in a company. Due to his desire to seek greener pastures, he applied to another company and out of all that wrote the test and subsequently interviewed, he topped them all. One final question he was asked before being formally employed was this; ‘Are you computer literate?’ He answered NO and that was how he lost that golden opportunity to move up in life. Will you allow this be your lot before you become computer proficient?

3. Ability To Work In A Team: Being a good team worker is very essential to success in the work place. Do you have practical experiences of working in a team to actualize any project in the past? What was your disposition towards the project? Were you able to tolerate others? This skill – TEAMWORK is an indispensable skill you need to acquire as this will help you a great deal not minding the composition of the team.

4. Time Management: How well do you manage your time presently as an individual? If you don’t know how to manage your time effectively, go online – do a Google search on how to manage your time effectively. There are tons of information on the internet that will teach you how to use your time wisely. Use your time wisely from now on by engaging in productive activities and exercises that will better your lot both now and in the future.

[b]5. Self Improvement: [/b]This is by far one of the skills that will move you up to the zenith of your career. If you remain stale and stagnant without doing anything to improve your knowledge base, you will never get to the top. Every day, there are new discoveries in your environment and in your career path as a whole. You need to acquaint yourself with these new discoveries and see how you can master them to help you achieve your career goals.

You can check the links below for good articles or the skills needed in the workplace:
- http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/career-planning/273051-the-top-10-skills-thatll-get-you-a-job-when-you-graduate
- http://www.workplacebasicskills.com/frame/workplace_skills/skills.htm
- www.jwu.edu/uploadedfiles/documents/alumni/jwuskillsgap.pdf
- www.skillsyouneed.com/general/employability-skills.html
- www.bbc.co.uk/wales/justthejob/skills/employers.shtml
- wdr.doleta.gov/opr/fulltext/00-wes.pdf‎
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill‎

Please, kindly post your comments or ask your questions.

Thank you.

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2014
Hi all,

Please, if you have any question, kindly post them here as we all will be able to learn one thing or the other from the answers.

I will be posting Chapter 7 very soon.

Thank you.

Re: Enhancing Your Employability - A Comprehensive Career & Job Hunting Guide by Bigdreams(m): 6:46am On Oct 22, 2014
CHAPTER 7: YOUR JOB HUNTING TOOLS

Every hunter who goes to the bush with the expectation of coming home with highly priced game will not go empty handed. He will ensure his gun is loaded and checked to ensure it is working, he will also make sure his cutlass has been sharpened and every other thing he needs for successful hunting is intact and in place to the best of his abilities.

As a job seeker, you need to be thoroughly and professionally equipped for your job hunt. You cannot afford to be lackadaisical about your dream job. You need to put everything in place – in the appropriate manner to ensure you are well positioned to secure your dream job.

Your CV and cover letter are the most important job hunting tools. Your CV is your marketing tool and not an autobiography as most job seekers have currently. Your CV is your most important document as a job seeker.

The purpose of a CV is to get you in the door for an interview as employers or recruiters decide who to interview based on the CVs they receive for each job. The better your CV is, the more likely it is that you'll get to interview for the job. You may need to adjust your CV from time to time before making certain applications as this will ensure you portray the right/core skill and abilities for that particular application/position.

One of our Career Guides – The Market Place Winning CV deals extensively with how to write a professional CV and cover letter. You can
download your own copy by clicking this link: ==> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynwpxiktidumz5y/THE%20MARKET%20PLACE%20WINNING%20CV.pdf?dl=0

(1) (2) (Reply)

NYSC 2012 Batch B Ogun State Aspirants Meet Here / Delta State Coordinator Embezzles Corpers INEC Money / Abuja Experience...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.