Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 (30276 Views)

He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 / WAEC EXPO/RUNZ 2020 | NECO EXPO/RUNS: CALL 08138222229 NOW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ernesterioo(f): 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2014
Abeg go back,go learn trade
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
@Op if your CGPA is not in the range 3.45-3.49 -dont even try it. Cause CGPA dont move too much even if you got 5.0 once your credit unit is high.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by mistyebby(f): 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
Guy please if having an extra year will help you get a 2.1 pls do it.But you have to do ur best to achieve this goal,you knw its easier said than done!first degree is a big deal,don't allow anyone deceive you pls!
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by haibe(m): 2:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
An extra semester would deny you a Bsc (hons) which is very important. Why not just move ahead and do not be pessimistic.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Joythah(m): 2:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
Bro... Life is not always logical. Sonud logic says you should stay back but i implore you to consider another angle.
Success in life is about correct positioning or what some people call luck. By making yourself stay an extra year, you might end up missing the place of your breakthrough.
When i was in the univ, my lecturer told us about his daughter who was supposed to graduate with a 1st class but was given a 2.1. He wanted to fight it but after praying, the Lord told him not to so he didn't. Bottom line is that she now occupies a top position in a top firm in Nigeria. During the exam/interview, she was among the joint best three. They were about to schedule another test for the them to select just one when the MD noticed that she was the only one with a 2.1 while the others were first class. He immediately recommended her employment stating that her competitive nature is what the company requires. If she had gotten a first class she may not have beaten the other two in the retest.
Bottom line: only you knows your destiny. Prayerfully consider what you are about to do. It will make the diffrence between failure and success in life.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Richy4(m): 2:29pm On Sep 17, 2014
shellcom:

just come out with 2.1 to gain addmission in International University for Master. It's very important.

Ewooo!!!!! Who talk say 2.2 no dey do masters for international university? Or are you talking about him getting a scholarship?

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by haibe(m): 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kwadoli: so wat of we with a gp of 3.3, is it adviceable to stay an extra year to mak 2.1?

brother Bsc hons is better than Bsc. This things are considered by employers. An extra year is not a good thing in any way, infact the feeling that your mates are out of school and you are still in school battling an extra semester may cause you not to achieve your semester goal, things may even get worse.

Just keep going forward and don't look back.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2014
missdebs: yes, pls go back n start again....mscheew wen ur mates dat didnt even go to university are running gud businesses and even political posts,pls go back
U re too harsh
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by charismatic1(f): 2:35pm On Sep 17, 2014
Hello,my advise to you is to take an extra semester if you're almost 100% sure you can make a 2.1 and worry less about when you'll go for NYSC 'cos its significance is not much to what your decision is now and what will be yours forever,moreso you're still very young.

You've gotten some good advise,so i won't expansiate on this much,but first and foremost, your first degree grade matters every where and not only in Nigeria cos it'll always pass through evaluation.Please don't be misled by people that are saying 2.1 or first class isn't significant,it is,however,it is not a guarantee for success as it's used to be.

I've been in your shoes before.If you still want to further in same field,then take your time and get that 2.1,you need not rush into the outside world as a mediocre,everyone cannot be lucky to get a good job,even with 3rd or first class,except you want to change your field of study entirely,then you can take your 2.2 which isn't bad anyway.

All the best to you.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 17, 2014
This guy has no clue. Does it matter? when a first class student is still unemployed. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by niceeric(m): 2:39pm On Sep 17, 2014
papiforreal: @Op if your CGPA is not in the range 3.45-3.49 -dont even try it. Cause CGPA dont move too much even if you got 5.0 once your credit unit is high.

atleast someone just said exactly what I have in mind...OP handie, open your ears now.....if ur cgpa isn't in d range above,just forget it and don't do ur current cgpa any more harm.....extra year not even semester can only push people with smaller grades up to their desired levels with good grades scored in all courses they offer,but with people with good grades as in 3.3 and above in a 5.0 system, they need a little 4s and mostly 5s to make a 0.10 increase in their cgpa in d later years of school or as in your case an extra year(if you're thinking of an xtra semester,kindly forget it)

My Verdict :- I'm sorry to disappoint you, and I hope you are not from a federal or stare school where an extra can become extras in a twinkle of an eye......kindly accept ur 2.2 and move on.From ur write up and answers so far,i deduced ure a smart person. It would work for you in d labour market and in your other endeavours outside school

Pls take this advice seriously. God bless you.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by tboi001: 2:43pm On Sep 17, 2014
Simple advice... U were not born with ur classmates. U don't av to go serve wit dem. first to serve is not first to make it in life. Graduating wit a 2.2 might limit ur chances out dre. Even d skul u graduated from might not employ u. All d Best !
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by playboy19(m): 2:44pm On Sep 17, 2014
Well, like the posters above have said, your CGPA is the deciding factor in this. Plus, there's not so much difference between 2.1 and 2.2 in the Nigerian labor market this days. In addition, you can always upgrade by going for a professional course instead. The certification really helps.

Oh boy, take your 2.2 draw jeje and go serve your papa land. tongue

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by obiscolly(m): 2:45pm On Sep 17, 2014
It's only wise to spend an extra semester to make up for a result u will use for life. What's 4 months compared to the rest of your life? Be wise and don't let anyone deceive you. 2-1 increases your chance in the job market by over 70% than a 2-2.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ayusco85(m): 2:54pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: yeah. According to my course adviser, I will be able to go for the next available batch once my result is out and I know that it can be out before the November NYSC mobilization. Just don't know if it's really possible and how people will take it..... particularly those who don't know the story

Bros don't decieve urself about making this batch. First of all NYSC mobilization for batch C is Coming out ending of this month. And call up letter and posting will be around ending of nxt month. Then then the orientation camp proper is 4th november. Before u make this batch C ur result ought to have been ready by august, because the universities send the list at least one month b4 the mobilisation list is out. So the best u can hope for is 2015 batch A, which is around feb 2015. Be guided

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: I'm a final year student and honestly, my GP ain't as good as I wish. I'm contemplating dropping some courses and rewriting them next session to boost my GP. please can I resit those exams and still go for NYSC that same year? I talked to my course adviser about it and he said i'll be able to go with the next available batch once my result is out. pls is this possible? what is your advice to me? N.B: I'm 20 years old

OP... The man who invented bulb failed a million times before he became successful... learn from him, pls go a make your dream come true!!! do it for your unborn children!!!! the lord will answer your prayer cuz thats his will....

Fight until it is mathematically impossible!!!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by DesChyko: 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
Oga, no jonze o.. Carry your 2.2 ball out.. To freestyle Uni no be beans o.. We're not promised tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by pragmatistm(m): 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: my final year accounts for 40% of all the GP. all I wanna know now is the possibility of going with the Next available batch of NYSC Members after the release of the results
Your course adviser was right. Just make sure you calculate the GP well so as not end up with 2.2 after extra year. Whatever, once your result is out, you will be mobilized to go with the next NYSC batch.

Your case reminds me of one of my course mates back then in my final year. He failed a course and was in 2.2 (narrowly missed 2.1) but the department gave him an "E" for him to graduate with us. The young man rejected the E grade and decide to wait extra year to use the course to upgrade his GP. He re-sat for the paper following year and got an "A". Thats how he made 2.1.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by PassingShot(m): 2:57pm On Sep 17, 2014
Wait the extra time if you're sure you can put in the extra work to make 2:1.

You of course can join the next NYSC batch as advised by your adviser.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Lilimax(f): 2:59pm On Sep 17, 2014
OnyeIbo: This guy has no clue. Does it matter? when a first class student is still unemployed. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
So true!
The guy should move on with his life and believe God for the best.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ceejayluv(m): 3:04pm On Sep 17, 2014
considering your age and the confidence you have in making the 2.1, I would suggest you give it a shot. I assume you've done some simulation to know your possible gpa outcomes if you get different grades in the various courses you're to resit for..
PS: What's all that crap about meeting the next batch? Impossible . I assume you're in Uniben (conclusion mine).

3 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Validated: 3:05pm On Sep 17, 2014
Pl get 2.1, average will get you only average. If you are less than 25 Pl go for 2.1. You would have completed your NYSC before 27 and be available for graduates trainee programme which most multinationals are offering. For all you know with 2.2 you may spend the one year at home unemployed and regretting. Your foundation matters in life. if laid on average foundation your building can only be average. This is why I tell people including my children to aim for honours roll.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by ayusco85(m): 3:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
shocked
haibe: An extra semester would deny you a Bsc (hons) which is very important. Why not just move ahead and do not be pessimistic.

Pls Shed more light on the Bsc Hons. My certificate (sorry testimonial, certificate isn't ready yet) reads
"BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (GEOLOGY AND MINING) I never had a carry over let alone an extra year. Whr does the (Hons) come?

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by shalomtemmy(f): 3:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
missdebs: yes, pls go back n start again....mscheew wen ur mates dat didnt even go to university are running gud businesses and even political posts,pls go back
habah madam,na fight?
Na advice he ask 4 na
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by fidzy(m): 3:08pm On Sep 17, 2014
School grades ain't everything u will need in life, there is street wise too...so if u like get 1st class if u r not street wise esp in this country that certificate na paper, which interview u don hear say them ask question u answer for uni? But then again most job applications now require a minimum of 2:1 BUT again na naija we de where knowing people gets u a job faster than good grades. Better be armed with both. All na ur choice, nobody get ur life
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nwogeh: 3:13pm On Sep 17, 2014
It depends on ur course of study, if its a professional course pls continue cos as soon as u get ur profesional it will ova shadow d 2.2, secondly if u ve a plan of going 4ur masters direct after service, pls continue thirdly if there is any probability dt u wont graduate wt 2.1 wen u drop pls continue bt if u intend getn a job wt ur current degree well depending on ur age, ur family background, ur aambition in life and offcourse d certainty dt u will get 2.1 if u actually step down, then step down. Howeva in all wen u will serve has nothing 2do wt ur decision. Nysc seems 2attractiv wen u ve not served, bt after service u will discover dt Nysc is jus an ordinary means 2an end n not d end itself. in all pls make sure u follow ur hrt 2avoid regret....thank u.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by handie(m): 3:14pm On Sep 17, 2014
dopedealer: I had to wait an extra year to make a 2:2 in unilag which is profiting me now and for life! So why won't you wait an extra session to Make a 2:1that would profit you soon and forever! Besides U'd increase your chances of job application and job search advances
Most of this Niggas saying BS probably don't wish you well or don't know the usefulness of a 2:1
Some companies would not accept anyone with anything less than a 2:1
The word is enough for the wise!!
thanks bro. where u still able to go for NYSC once your result was out?
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by aspirebig: 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
@op.

Personally, I think it is a 50 50 stuff, meaning, you may make the 2.1 or not. But the ffg factors must be considered first.

1.Your current gp, your course of study, the faculty , and generally the school in particular, diff schs with diff policies.
2. Are these courses 3 units ?
3.How sure are you of making As or at least few Bs in these courses this time?
4. Hope you did not have any previous issues with any of the lecturers taking you these courses, if you do, first resolve the issue b4 retaking the course
5. Have you seek the advice of your CA and other senior lecturers on this?
6. The school gp grading process,for instance, I know that Uniben has a better gp calculating model to some state unis.
7. I hope that the lecturers of the courses in question are not saddist? You know what I mean?
8.Have you critically reviewed, analysed and found what failed you or made you to get low grades the ist instance in these courses?
9.You must work hard on your project work to make A or ATLEAST B, , anything less is unacceptable. Serious!
10. The last and not the least, ask God to guide your steps and grant you your heart desires. Remember that man proposes and God disposes.

In a nutshell, ist class, 2.1, 2.2, or 3rd even Pass do not determine your destiny in life, only God does.You are lucky you still have age by your side.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by nnabruno(m): 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
it better he comes out wif a2.1
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
handie: I'm a final year student and honestly, my GP ain't as good as I wish. I'm contemplating dropping some courses and rewriting them next session to boost my GP. please can I resit those exams and still go for NYSC that same year? I talked to my course adviser about it and he said i'll be able to go with the next available batch once my result is out. pls is this possible? what is your advice to me? N.B: I'm 20 years old
bro, the market is hard against 2'2 so, if you can stay a semester to make your 2'1 please do .... The only thing to be removed from you B.sc is the Honor but out there you are a 2'1 !!
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by Nwogeh: 3:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
@Handie, wen u wil serve shud not be d base of ur decision cos Batch, A,B,C r jus same, what maters is how well u r after service not wen u served....i can do evrytn 2escape 3rd clas n enta 2.2 bt my dear 2.2 is ok though som coys discriminate bt its not rampant. So if u r sure dt u wil get 2.1 den drop n get it if u have d whole time....i beliv in doing evrytn my hands find doing 2d best of my ability.
Re: Should I Go For Nysc Now With A 2.2 Or Drop Some Courses And Rewrite For A 2.1 by severee(m): 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2014

Well you could give yourself two years extra and make a 1st class
Afterall what is worth doing is worth doing well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NOUN Graduates Will Now Participate In NYSC / Professor's Wife Bags Ph.d In Mathematics, Son Bags Degree In Engineering. Photo / Strike: Labour To Embark On Nationwide Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.