Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,358 members, 7,808,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (30946 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by chimajii: 6:07am On Sep 20, 2014
Dragonking: So why the initial lies?

First they said only 17people died, later they said a total of 50.

The truth will come out and shame these workers of iniquity and as for the so called pastor, your cup is getting filled.

Sometimes I wonder if people of this forum ever make use of their brain before posting comments. If by chance u even know how these things work, your hasty/bothered SELF should know that 1s tragedy strikes, the figures will Rise.
You would have made a valid point if after all things have been done I.e rescue effort and all, and the figure still stood at the initial one.
But clearly isn't the case. Smh for you BusyBodies, who just want to post comment for the sake of posting.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by priscaoge(f): 6:31am On Sep 20, 2014
Memyselfu2009:

may be i should put it simple for u Jesus christ perform so may miracle heal d sick feed 5000 people make blind see does who can walk he made them walk also lazacrus died for 3day nd he brought back lazarus back to life y cant T B Joshua raise those who died hope u understand now
U see Y I said u shouldn't bother quoting me again? Is TB Joshua Jesus Christ? Pls don't quote my moniker again if u don't have any REASONABLE thing to say.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 20, 2014
14: 84, damn, thats a lot of people. When last did SA loss more than 80 people in one day, I remember the sharpville massacre in 1967. I feel sorry for the family of those who have been killed.

why it seems there were only South Africans in that building, we are not hearing about other nationals and Nigerians.

Well, thats coz it was a well planned demolition aimed at crushing to death scores of gullible Saffers.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 20, 2014
South African Government must appoint commission of inquiry, TB Joshua should face charges of culpable homicide. He caused the death of many People through negligence
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 8:57am On Sep 20, 2014
Motlalentoa:

Well, thats coz it was a well planned demolition aimed at crushing to death scores of gullible Saffers.

There will be others. But only South Africa has constantly organisesd to release figures. Secondly, the south africans will be in the majority because nigerians would not have has to stay in the guesthouse. They would've gone home. So far, evidence suggests shoddy workmanship and unenforced regulations.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 10:28am On Sep 20, 2014
4-year-old SA girl found alive at Nigeria collapse site
2014-09-19 22:34

Johannesburg - A 4-year-old South African girl was found alive at the collapsed Synagogue Church of All Nations in Lagos, Nigeria, the Gift of the Givers (GOTG) said on Friday.

The rescue of the girl, Zama, came to light when Sheik Mohammed Jamie, a GOTG representative in Nigeria, was searching for a woman whose daughter had contacted them for help, founder Imtiaz Sooliman said.

"A friend of Jamie's went first to the hospital on Wednesday to find one guy, and he was kicked out [by hospital staff]. Jamie himself then went to the same hospital later on Wednesday evening."

He was also asked to leave the hospital.

On Thursday morning, the South African embassy supplied Jamie with the names of five hospitals where South Africans were possibly being treated.

The second hospital on that list was the Subol Hospital in Lagos, which Jamie and his friend had been asked to leave on Wednesday.

Sooliman said when Jamie entered Subol Hospital again, staff were helpful.

"That's when he was pointed at and there they [the South Africans] spoke to him," Sooliman said.

"He asked if they needed anything and they said 'We haven't spoken to our family. We are injured but okay. Some of us are going to be discharged soon'."

This was when one woman who had been rescued relayed the story of Zama.

"She is still at the hospital," Sooliman said of Zama.

It was not known whether Zama's parents had survived the collapse or not.

Sooliman said both South African embassy officials and local authorities were doing their best to help.

Attacks on rescue worker

However, he had heard reports that church members had attacked and threw stones at rescue workers and members of the public trying to help at the collapse site.

SABC radio news reported the number of South Africans killed in the building collapse had increased from 67 to 84.

"The number has risen to 84," South Africa's high commissioner to Nigeria, Lulu Louis Mnguni, told the SABC in an interview on Friday morning.

He said the search for those unaccounted for had been called off. Those people were now presumed dead.

"The search has come to a conclusion. There were still 17 bodies outstanding," said Mnguni.

President Jacob Zuma announced on Tuesday that 67 South Africans were killed when the church's multi-storey guest house collapsed on Friday.

On Thursday, authorities said another 17 South Africans were still missing.

A total of 349 South Africans were in Lagos on church business when the disaster occurred. Of these, 265 were found alive.
- SAPA
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 20, 2014
DieVluit:

1. There will be others.
2. But only South Africa has constantly organisesd to release figures. Secondly, the south africans will be in the majority because...
3. nigerians would not have has to stay in the guesthouse. They would've gone home.
4. So far, evidence suggests shoddy workmanship and unenforced regulations.

1. If there were, don't you think we would've heard about them by now? A week is a long time for one to not notice that their loved ones are missing.

2. ...it seems they were the only people in that building.

3. That really goes without saying. And to be clear, this isn't about "why are there no Nigerian victims?", but about Saffers being the only foreign victims as if the dodgy guest-house was specifically reserved for them and them alone.

4. What evidence? Hearsay?

Anyway, until proven otherwise, I stand by my opinion that the building collapsed due to a well planned/executed demolition.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 3:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
Motlalentoa:

1. If there were, don't you think we would've heard about them by now? A week is a long time for one to not notice that their loved ones are missing.

No, we would not have heard about them because our death rate comes directly from South African sources. The high commissioner and trip organisers are only concerned with South Africans. Anyway, you are contradicting yourself. You say "as if the he dodgy guest-house was specifically reserved for them and them alone". So are you saying it was reserved for others or not? And how did it fall on South Africans alone?

How is the house dodgy anyway?

2. ...it seems they were the only people in that building.

Contradicting yourself. It only makes sense that there would be more South Africans in that guest house, but that doesn't mean they were the only ones in there. Why would Nigerians stay in the guest house. There'll be other non-South Africans in the minority. So, let's wait and ee what transpires

3. That really goes without saying. And to be clear, this isn't about "why are there no Nigerian victims?", but about Saffers being the only foreign victims as if the dodgy guest-house was specifically reserved for them and them alone.

Well, you said there are only South African victims because this is a deliberate demolition to kill gullible South Africans.

4. What evidence? Hearsay?

Yesterday, I posted the direct words from engineers and officials investigating the collapse. So, it's not hearsay.

What is hearsay is that South Africans were targeted.

Anyway, until proven otherwise, I stand by my opinion that the building collapsed due to a well planned/executed demolition.

You have advanced an opinion. I quoted investigators. So, you need to decide whether you'll go by emotion or direct evidence that has surfaced to date.

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Dragonking: 4:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
chimajii:

Sometimes I wonder if people of this forum ever make use of their brain before posting comments. If by chance u even know how these things work, your hasty/bothered SELF should know that 1s tragedy strikes, the figures will Rise.
You would have made a valid point if after all things have been done I.e rescue effort and all, and the figure still stood at the initial one.
But clearly isn't the case. Smh for you BusyBodies, who just want to post comment for the sake of posting.

^^You have not said anything valid or meaniful but rather you just came out here to spew trash and display not only ur ignorance but also ur stiipidity.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by chimajii: 4:31pm On Sep 20, 2014
Dragonking:

^^You have not said anything valid or meaniful but rather you just came out here to spew trash and display not only ur ignorance but also ur stiipidity.

So says the douche...I don't word with Things like you..
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by NappyHeadedHo(f): 6:11pm On Sep 20, 2014
RIP
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by morpheus24: 2:20am On Sep 21, 2014
boitz: South African Government must appoint commission of inquiry, TB Joshua should face charges of culpable homicide. He caused the death of many People through negligence

I see "culpable homicide" being thrown around again. Saffer's sure do like that verdict.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 6:22am On Sep 21, 2014
TB Joshua: When stupidity rules

Our universe hinges on a delicate balance of sanity and stu'pidity. For centuries, scientists have been trying to determine the optimal levels of each. But, like dark matter or why there's no swimming pool creepy that can climb stairs, this equation remains a mystery. What is now certain is that when TB Joshua’s church in Nigeria issued a statement about its catastrophic building collapse, the balance snapped and a fiercely evil geomagnetic storm of stupid shook the planet.

LIKE solar winds from that giant fireball in the sky, stupidity usually washes over us with minimal effect. In extreme cases, we may scream in agony at computer screens or television sets, or even throw a coffee cup across a room, but mostly we continue with our daily lives and allow the equilibrium to return over a quiet dinner or a glass of wine. A weekend usually restores the balance.

The higher the exposure, the more resilient we seem to become. Floyd Shivambu flipping the bird at our deputy president in parliament. Kebby Maphatsoe accusing Thuli Madonsela of being a CIA spy, denying it later, apologising for the comment he claims not to have made and then keeping his job. Jacob Zuma saying there is no Nkandla scandal. Steve Hofmeyr. Agang. The invisible winds just keep on blowing…

But when I read the statement issued by The Synagogue, Church of All Nations, about the building collapse, which killed 67 South Africans, it felt like there was some kind of a cosmic event. A rapture of stu:pid somewhere amongst the stars. I was so furious I felt a little shaky, trying to combine swear words as if that would increase their impact. Journalists tend to be passionate about current affairs, but it takes a lot to reach that point.

The statement began with, “Emmanuel – God is with us”. No problem here. It's a church. What else would it say?Then came a brief and clinical summary of the disaster. The one Jacob Zuma correctly called a “heartbreaking tragedy” in a rare address to the nation this week.

The church then went on to peddle its conspiracy theory about a terrorist attack: “This incident was preceded by the appearance of a strange aircraft which flew very low over the building, four times and then disappeared.”

Not poor construction. Not illegal floors being built. Not greed. But a mysterious aircraft that made a part of the church cave in, somehow.

This nonsense was followed by a denial that the church had blocked emergency crews from rescuing people and was refusing to co-operate with disaster management teams, relief agencies, various governments and, well, pretty much everyone. These were “sad and inaccurate reports” it claimed. Despite on-the-record comments from senior diplomats that the church was closing rank.

Of course, there was also a perfectly logical explanation for the collapse.

“The church views this tragedy as part of an attack on The Synagogue, Church Of All Nations and in particular, Prophet TB Joshua. In due course, God will reveal the perpetrators of this unfortunate tragedy”.

This was an annoying but not unusual message from a church. A call to release responsibility and accept that God works in mysterious ways. To have faith. To overcome and hold on to your beliefs.

Fine. Whatever. But then came the clincher. TB Joshua’s clan felt it necessary to describe those who died as “martyrs of the Kingdom of God”.

Martyrs!

Dozens of people who were crushed to death when a massive (possibly illegal) building sunk down like a sand elephant on top of them. People who had paid a lot of money and flew thousands of kilometres to feel the healing touch of a man who claims to be a prophet, capable of curing anything from cancer to Aids. The same man who sits on the Forbes list of millionaires for selling the equivalent of fresh air.

These people are not martyrs. They are victims of a terrible tragedy, which, in all probability, could have been avoided. And my heart burns for their families. They too are victims.

To spew out a ridiculous conspiracy theory is one thing. Politicians do it all the time. But to then go and describe as “martyrs” those who perished in the name of false hope is insane. In fact, it’s a crime against sanity. A nasty assault on rational thought.

I have never criticised those who believe nor have I questioned their right to faith. I stand firmly for choice, as long as it doesn't impact others.

But in recent months, the dark side of religion has forced its way into our lives. The monsters in black balaclavas have burnt images into our brains of good men pushed down to their knees and savagely beheaded. Or streams of cowering men paraded before being exterminated – shot in the head and pushed into a river, one by one. Or young girls being kidnapped from their homes and schools.

To claim that those who died in the church collapse are martyrs is not only stupid but also evil. They had no choice. They came to be healed or inspired and will now return home in body bags. If their remains are ever found in the rubble.

The magnet of hope is a powerful one. I get it. And those who wield it are usually secretive. Evangelical churches are nothing new… the poor get rich, the ill get healthy, the dying are cured and the lonely find love. In the rush of holy euphoria, the devoted eat grass out in the gardens. Good for them.

The faithful will not stop flocking to these churches. But maybe this will make us all think just a little about what lies beneath.
_DM

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by NappyHeadedHo(f): 6:50am On Sep 21, 2014
Are they now blaming aliens for this tragedy? What invisible aircraft? UFO? The wittle green man in his wittle spaceship killed these people? That might work on their brainwashed congregation, but no sane person is going to buy into that bull. The nerve to even spew out such deluded nonsense.

By the way, they are all starting to sound like classic narcissists, including the so called prophet himself. Many people have passed and he is busy making this about himself instead of taking blame. So much for being a man of the cloth. What happened to honesty, integrity and transparency? Yeah I know, because it is so much easier to shift blame to the wizard of Oz, instead of admitting fault and risk going to jail or being exposed as the greedy person that he truly is.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Dragonking: 9:16am On Sep 21, 2014
chimajii:

So says the douche...I don't word with Things like you..

Just shut up if you dont have anything sensible to say
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by paniki(m): 10:06am On Sep 21, 2014
Some months ago a shopping mall under construction collapsed in Tongaat, KZN. Two construction workers died and since then a huge fuss has been made and a commission of inquiry has been established to find out what went wrong. I really hope that Nigeria does the same.

Buildings collapse all over the world for all sorts of reasons, but if you don't make an effort to scientifically figure out what went wrong then you will for ever be blinded by speculation, which will not help your progress as an aspirant nation.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2014
DieVluit: TB Joshua: When stupidity rules

Our universe hinges on a delicate balance of sanity and stu'pidity. For centuries, scientists have been trying to determine the optimal levels of each. But, like dark matter or why there's no swimming pool creepy that can climb stairs, this equation remains a mystery. What is now certain is that when TB Joshua’s church in Nigeria issued a statement about its catastrophic building collapse, the balance snapped and a fiercely evil geomagnetic storm of stupid shook the planet.

LIKE solar winds from that giant fireball in the sky, stupidity usually washes over us with minimal effect. In extreme cases, we may scream in agony at computer screens or television sets, or even throw a coffee cup across a room, but mostly we continue with our daily lives and allow the equilibrium to return over a quiet dinner or a glass of wine. A weekend usually restores the balance.

The higher the exposure, the more resilient we seem to become. Floyd Shivambu flipping the bird at our deputy president in parliament. Kebby Maphatsoe accusing Thuli Madonsela of being a CIA spy, denying it later, apologising for the comment he claims not to have made and then keeping his job. Jacob Zuma saying there is no Nkandla scandal. Steve Hofmeyr. Agang. The invisible winds just keep on blowing…

But when I read the statement issued by The Synagogue, Church of All Nations, about the building collapse, which killed 67 South Africans, it felt like there was some kind of a cosmic event. A rapture of stu:pid somewhere amongst the stars. I was so furious I felt a little shaky, trying to combine swear words as if that would increase their impact. Journalists tend to be passionate about current affairs, but it takes a lot to reach that point.

The statement began with, “Emmanuel – God is with us”. No problem here. It's a church. What else would it say?Then came a brief and clinical summary of the disaster. The one Jacob Zuma correctly called a “heartbreaking tragedy” in a rare address to the nation this week.

The church then went on to peddle its conspiracy theory about a terrorist attack: “This incident was preceded by the appearance of a strange aircraft which flew very low over the building, four times and then disappeared.”

Not poor construction. Not illegal floors being built. Not greed. But a mysterious aircraft that made a part of the church cave in, somehow.

This nonsense was followed by a denial that the church had blocked emergency crews from rescuing people and was refusing to co-operate with disaster management teams, relief agencies, various governments and, well, pretty much everyone. These were “sad and inaccurate reports” it claimed. Despite on-the-record comments from senior diplomats that the church was closing rank.

“The church views this tragedy as part of an attack on The Synagogue, Church Of All Nations and in particular, Prophet TB Joshua. In due course, God will reveal the perpetrators of this unfortunate tragedy”.

This was an annoying but not unusual message from a church. A call to release responsibility and accept that God works in mysterious ways. To have faith. To overcome and hold on to your beliefs.

Fine. Whatever. But then came the clincher. TB Joshua’s clan felt it necessary to describe those who died as “martyrs of the Kingdom of God”.

Martyrs!

Dozens of people who were crushed to death when a massive (possibly illegal) building sunk down like a sand elephant on top of them. People who had paid a lot of money and flew thousands of kilometres to feel the healing touch of a man who claims to be a prophet, capable of curing anything from cancer to Aids. The same man who sits on the Forbes list of millionaires for selling the equivalent of fresh air.

These people are not martyrs. They are victims of a terrible tragedy, which, in all probability, could have been avoided. And my heart burns for their families. They too are victims.

To spew out a ridiculous conspiracy theory is one thing. Politicians do it all the time. But to then go and describe as “martyrs” those who perished in the name of false hope is insane. In fact, it’s a crime against sanity. A nasty assault on rational thought.

I have never criticised those who believe nor have I questioned their right to faith. I stand firmly for choice, as long as it doesn't impact others.

But in recent months, the dark side of religion has forced its way into our lives. The monsters in black balaclavas have burnt images into our brains of good men pushed down to their knees and savagely beheaded. Or streams of cowering men paraded before being exterminated – shot in the head and pushed into a river, one by one. Or young girls being kidnapped from their homes and schools.

To claim that those who died in the church collapse are martyrs is not only stupid but also evil. They had no choice. They came to be healed or inspired and will now return home in body bags. If their remains are ever found in the rubble.

The magnet of hope is a powerful one. I get it. And those who wield it are usually secretive. Evangelical churches are nothing new… the poor get rich, the ill get healthy, the dying are cured and the lonely find love. In the rush of holy euphoria, the devoted eat grass out in the gardens. Good for them.

The faithful will not stop flocking to these churches. But maybe this will make us all think just a little about what lies beneath.
_DM

thank you for this it is great.

100000000000000000000000000000000000 likes you are so right.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by delishpot: 12:13pm On Sep 21, 2014
onitshaigbo:

I am as sure of Prophet TB Joshua as I'm sure of Jesus. The Prophet has cured HIV/AIDS, cancer, blindness, and has brought thousands if not millions of faithful out of poverty through miracles. If he was not of God, than how can these miracles occur?

If TB Joshua is jailed, then it is religious persecution, and all of Lagos will be made to suffer from God's retribution.

Ha ha. Even if he knew about the structure and the fact that that foundatiin couldnt have held more floors?
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
DieVluit: No, we would not have heard about them because our death rate comes directly from South African sources. The high commissioner and trip organisers are only concerned with South Africans. Anyway, you are contradicting yourself. You say "as if the he dodgy guest-house was specifically reserved for them and them alone". So are you saying it was reserved for others or not? And how did it fall on South Africans alone?

How is the house dodgy anyway?

Contradicting yourself. It only makes sense that there would be more South Africans in that guest house, but that doesn't mean they were the only ones in there. Why would Nigerians stay in the guest house. There'll be other non-South Africans in the minority. So, let's wait and ee what transpires.

Well, you said there are only South African victims because this is a deliberate demolition to kill gullible South Africans.

Yesterday, I posted the direct words from engineers and officials investigating the collapse. So, it's not hearsay. What is hearsay is that South Africans were targeted.

You have advanced an opinion. I quoted investigators. So, you need to decide whether you'll go by emotion or direct evidence that has surfaced to date.

Bathong! Are Saffers the only people to have media houses, govt, high commissioner and trip organisers? No! So, the same way we have been hearing about our death toll. We would also hear about others (i.e a Zim politician). For you to keep on saying I'm contradicting myself means you know the reasons I used to form my opinion, not?

Uhm...lets see, a 6-storey building reportedly built on a 2-storey foundation collapses into its own footprint in a matter of seconds crushing scores of people to death seems very solid/legit to you, innit?

It's your opinion. So, of course it would make sense to you. Don't know why you keep bringing Nigerians up when I've already said this isn't about them.

An opinion which I stated and will stand by it until proven otherwise - an opinion that I've never asked you or anyone else to endorse. So, I don't get why you're so bothered by it.

Engineers? What enigneers? The spokepersons for emergency crews, aid agencies, et al? And no, you posted articles written by journos whose presentation of the so called "direct words" is influenced by their own opinions - journos who aren't even in Nigeria, just by the way. Furthermore, rescue and recovery teams are not invesignators.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2014
Motlalentoa:

Bathong! Are Saffers the only people to have media houses, govt, high commissioner and trip organisers? No! So, the same way we have been hearing about our death toll. We would also hear about others (i.e a Zim politician). For you to keep on saying I'm contradicting myself means you know the reasons I used to form my opinion, not?

What is your problem, exactly? Are you so bitter that you'd rather believe that South Africans were killed on purpose? Obviously it is not only South Africans that have media houses but I refer you to today's Sunday Times for you to see who has been secretive (Nigeria) and who has been open nothwithstanding the lack of cooperation from Nigeria ( South Africa). You'd rather refuse to be empathetic because these people died in Nigeria?

http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/2014/09/21/blood-on-their-hands1?fb_action_ids=10152432872900808&fb_action_types=og.recommends

I do not know your reasons but it is obvious that you are contradicting yourself and I have pointed out where the contradictions are.

Uhm...lets see, a 6-storey building reportedly built on a 2-storey foundation collapses into its own footprint in a matter of seconds crushing scores of people to death seems very solid/legit to you, innit?

That sarcastic statement is even more believable than your pie-in-the-sky theory about someone deciding to knock the building over because South Africans were in there. So, sarcasm for sarcasm, I guess my answer would be 'you got that right'.

It's your opinion. So, of course it would make sense to you. Don't know why you keep bringing Nigerians up when I've already said this isn't about them.

It's not an opinion. It is a fact (indicative but a fact nonetheless) that is more than evident in everything that has been reported. The construction was shoddy. The regulations were not enforced. The preacher was greedy. Cut corners. Failed to cooperate. There are suspicions that corruption in the construction industry allowed the addition of two floors without approval. Common sense tells you that's the first place to look for an explanation. Not these baseless conspiracy theories about planes and South Africans being targeted.

An opinion which I stated and will stand by it until proven otherwise - an opinion that I've never asked you or anyone else to endorse. So, I don't get why you're so bothered by it.

More like a baseless rant. I have given you a fairly logical explanation, which you don't even want to investigate because you want to hold on to your baseless opinion. If you post online and are challenged and see it as people being bothered, maybe it's time for you to stop posting.

Engineers? What enigneers? The only people who have so far been quoted in the media are the spokepersons for emergency crews, aid agencies, et al. And no, you posted articles written by reporters whose presentation of the so called "direct words" is influenced by their own opinions - reporters that aren't even in Nigeria. Furthermore, rescue and recovery teams are not invesignators.

Then you need to update yourself because you clearly missed some important reading while you were busy ranting and foaming in the mouth. Here's the latest.

http://news.yahoo.com/nigerian-preacher-under-pressure-over-fatal-church-collapse-092206759.html

If you want the earliest, I can give it to you. You are no different from the "gullible believers" that you criticise. Believing in some pie-in-the-sky theory. You are on the other side of the spectrum that's all. The preacher's followers believe he was attacked. You believe South Africans were attacked. Where's your science? Your logic?

Oh, you have posted no links by the way. Just your "opinion".

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 3:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
Lagos (AFP) - Engineers in Nigeria's financial capital, Lagos, on Wednesday ordered urgent structural tests to be carried out at a popular preacher's church after 70 people were killed in a building collapse.

The Lagos State Building Control Agency daubed red X-marks on buildings in the sprawling compound of televangelist TB Joshua's Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) in the city's Ikotun area.

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma on Tuesday said 67 of his compatriots were killed when a guesthouse for Joshua's foreign followers collapsed at the site last Friday.

But rescuers said the death toll had since risen, as a hunt for survivors neared a close.

"We have to ask for the tests because of what has happened," LASBCA general manager Abimbola Animashaun told AFP at the scene, pointing to one building which had an extra three storeys added.

"This one has been overloaded," she said. "If a disaster can happen here, we don't want it to happen elsewhere."

The structural integrity inspections should take 10 days to complete before a report is submitted, she added.

According to Joshua's website, scoan.org, three of the church's previous buildings were destroyed before the new church -- described as an "architectural masterpiece" -- was built.

"There was only one architect involved in the planning -- the Holy Spirit," he said.

The preacher, known to his followers as "The Prophet" because of his purported visions and miracles, has not publicly commented on the deaths.

Instead he has tried to shift suspicion on to Boko Haram militants and a low-flying plane seen over the building before the collapse.

Since Friday, he has only posted a series of Bible verses on his Facebook page and Twitter account. On Tuesday night he tweeted: "Hard times may test me, they cannot destroy me."

The investigation will look at Joshua's claim of low-flying aircraft, Lagos state commissioner for town planning and urban development Toyin Ayinde told Nigeria's Channels television.

Initial indications were that the building came down because extra floors were being added without strengthening the foundations and samples would be taken from the site, he added.

Rescue workers were meanwhile picking through what remained of the guesthouse using excavators and even their bare hands in the hope of finding more survivors.

The southwest coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, said the rescue operation was likely to end later on Wednesday.

"We have 70 dead, 131 rescued alive," he said. "Early this morning, we got two (bodies). Since day break we got three. Yesterday night we had two, making seven."

A woman was pulled alive from the building on Monday and escaped with minor injuries, fuelling hopes that others may yet be found alive.

"The challenges are coming much more, so we have to slow down our recovery," said Farinloye. "If we say we should rush or give time limits, definitely it would affect somebody or survivors."

There was a large police presence at the church and onlookers were moved away. A team from a Chinese engineering firm were seen on site helping rescuers.

The Lagos state government, NEMA and the South African authorities have all complained that Joshua, whose followers include top-level politicians and presidents, was not co-operating.

Rescuers were prevented from fully accessing the site until Sunday, raising fears that some of the victims could have been saved earlier.

Nigerians took to social media to voice their anger at the incident, arguing that Joshua should not be above the law.

Zuma said five South African church tour groups totalling about 300 people were thought to have been at the Pentecostal church at the time of the tragedy.

One South African travel agent, who asked not to be named, said some of the survivors flew back from Lagos on Sunday but were too distraught to recount their ordeal.

"It's a sensitive issue. They don't want to talk to anyone about what they saw. They are in shock, they are traumatised," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/nigerian-preacher-under-pressure-over-fatal-church-collapse-092206759.html
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 3:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 10:39am On Sep 22, 2014
South Africans evacuated from Nigeria back in SA.

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 10:49am On Sep 22, 2014
Gift of the Givers finds 57 SA survivors in Nigeria

JOHANNESBURG - Gift of the Givers says it has managed to track 57 South Africans who survived the recent building collapse in Lagos, Nigeria.

Gift of the Givers founder Imtiaz Sooliman said the organisation on Saturday was granted permission to visit Nigerian hospitals and interact with numerous people that were at Synagogue Church of All Nations’s (Scoan) collapsed guesthouse.

The organisation was chased away from the tragic site on Thursday but Sooliman said the hostility has disappeared, Scoan and the Nigerian authorities gave its members permission to help the South African rescue team in Lagos.

“We are grateful that the mood has changed and everyone is cooperating with our five representatives in Nigeria. Our team has been given permission to visit hospitals and provide necessary support were needed. They have found 57 South Africans. Many were injured but they are all in a stable state,” said Sooliman.

Sooliman said Gift of the Givers has communicated with the families of the recovered. Some of the injured are part of the group expected to land in South Africa on Monday.

Gift of the Givers will wrap up its search on September 22 even though it’s still being inundated with requests from South Africans wishing to find their relatives who were in Nigeria on the day of the disaster.

“Our team will end its search later today but they will continue to assist where needed. The South African government working with the Nigerian authorities are handling the entire process and they will surely update us on all major developments,” said Sooliman.

Scoan’s multi-storey guesthouse collapsed on September 12.

Eighty-six people, among them 84 South Africans, were killed.

Some 26 South Africans were injured.

An Inter-Ministerial Task team that will help manage the Nigerian building collapse tragedy was established on Thursday.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Centrifude(m): 12:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
DieVluit: TB Joshua: When stupidity rules

Martyrs!

_DM

I couldn't have said it better myself, I wish more people opened their eyes to the realities of this world, and stopped holding on to all these thoughts of false hope and salvation.

I strongly agree with you on the point that calling all those victims Martyrs is an insult to them and their memory, and I'm surprise by the many people I know who are follows of that church, who believe that nonsense about an Air-plane being the cause of the problem, its amazing how very intelligent people would push all forms of logic aside and choose to defend a ridiculous conspiracy theory of a man and his merry band of follows, people who have no architectural knowledge or know anything about construction.

They defend him with pride, just because he claims to be Gods gate way to humanity.

Its just sad that more people are still flocking to that place.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 1:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 1:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
Centrifude:

I couldn't have said it better myself, I wish more people opened their eyes to the realities of this world, and stopped holding on to all these thoughts of false hope and salvation.

I strongly agree with you on the point that calling all those victims Martyrs is an insult to them and their memory, and I'm surprise by the many people I know who are follows of that church, who believe that nonsense about an Air-plane being the cause of the problem, its amazing how very intelligent people would push all forms of logic aside and choose to defend a ridiculous conspiracy theory of a man and his merry band of follows, people who have no architectural knowledge or know anything about construction.

They defend him with pride, just because he claims to be Gods gate way to humanity.

Its just sad that more people are still flocking to that place.

Well, these aren't my words. It's Daily Maverick. But I definitely agree with this. The mind rally boggles. And when they realise that their views defy logic, they give you the "God works in mysterious ways" line. I'm interested to see if the laws of the land will also play second fiddle to what really is superstition and fraudulent fibs.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by halix239(f): 12:20pm On Sep 23, 2014
Funjosh:

Thanks for calling me a fool, foolish Boy lipsrsealed
wu's a boy, u mst b sick

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Heat Wave: Fire Errupts In Upminster, London / Ecuador Declares State Of Emergency As Narcotics Gang Leader Escapes From Prison / Las Vegas Concert Shooting: Death Toll Rises To 50, More Than 200 Injured - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.